• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

Nareen

Nareen

Roamer

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • LocationCanada

The hitcher basically caused his own death. Trying to flag them down initially was a judgement call. Having made the decision to attempt that and failed he should have let it go. Instead he stayed on the same road in the open after the car had passed. He can't have stayed alive this long without knowing sound attracts walkers. The sound of the vehicle alone would have attracted walkers to the road just as sure as if the car had them on a tow line. He added to his predicament by following along the road and shouting a second time when he saw them again.

I understand he made the decision to flag them down initially, but the man needed to face facts. 911 is down and probably won't be back for a couple of centuries if ever. Don't do the stupid thing, just rely on yourself because you can never truly rely on anyone else in life. God helps those who help themselves.

I agree with this even though I was not at all comfortable with how they zoomed by without even remarking on this guy. I understand why they did it and don't even diasagree but it was still awful. But that's the difference between thinking with your head and your heart.

The hitchhiker should have shut up and gone into stealth mode as soon as the car passed by. But we don't know how long the guy had been on his own. Maybe he was crazed by loneliness or felt he could no longer survive alone.

IMO part of Morgan's problem is that he is so alone. We humans are social animals, evolved to live in groups. It keeps us grounded. Even the loners amongst us are not really alone 24/7 for long periods of time. To go for weeks and months on end without seeing another living human being, in the horror that is the ZA would help to drive anyone crazy.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • 3,887 posts
  • LocationThe Tardis

I agree with this even though I was not at all comfortable with how they zoomed by without even remarking on this guy. I understand why they did it and don't even diasagree but it was still awful. But that's the difference between thinking with your head and your heart.

The hitchhiker should have shut up and gone into stealth mode as soon as the car passed by. But we don't know how long the guy had been on his own. Maybe he was crazed by loneliness or felt he could no longer survive alone.

IMO part of Morgan's problem is that he is so alone. We humans are social animals, evolved to live in groups. It keeps us grounded. Even the loners amongst us are not really alone 24/7 for long periods of time. To go for weeks and months on end without seeing another living human being, in the horror that is the ZA would help to drive anyone crazy.

I agree. You could hear the desperation in Hitchhiker's voice as he called after them, then just dropped to his knees in defeat. You have to wonder how long he's struggled on his own. I felt bad for him.

That said, after what they've all been through when encountering other strangers, I see why they didn't stop. I wonder though, if on the way back the hitchhiker had still been alive would they have stopped? This would have been after Rick was sharply reminded of when he was alone at the beginning of the ZA and Morgan saved his life.

WDSWsig.jpg

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationWNC
The Hitchhiker; not only was he real, at the end he was real dead. The ral question was why was he included in the storyline. WalkingStoner provided one possiblity:

Morgan told Carl, "Don't ever be sorry." I see this as: In a world like the one they live in you gotta do what you gotta do, and there's no use in obsessing over it, feeling remorseful or affected in any other way.

I thought the hitchhiker was included for a different reason.

before seeing Morgan, Rick was closed off and not allowing anyone in (Tyreese and Michonne). This was represented by drivign right past somone in need. After seeing Morgan and more importantly after seeing what happens when you shut the world out (Morgan is a Mirror for Rick). Rick stops to pick up the hitchhiker (atleast what's left of him). We all want Tyreese and Sasha (and Andrea) to join Ricks group, I believe it is this episode in which Rick goes full circle back to the possibility of letting others in.

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members
  • 491 posts
Yeah, how'd that guy survive so long running and shouting along roadways?!
To me he represented Rick's lost sense of humanity. Pre-farm and Governor, Rick would've helped the guy.

The irony to me is that Rick has benefitted three times from the kindness of strangers - Morgan in episode 1, Glen saved him in the tank and Herschell saved Carl. The hyprocrisy was unsettling to me. (My wife was furious that Rick of all people would ignore someone in need!).

scarylala

scarylala

Roamer

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Locationin the back of a van somewhere....

It hurt me when they didn't pick him up the second time. It was obvious by then that no gang was going to pop out of the woods. Part of me still wants to hold onto the humanity that would want to save a fellow human being - not automatically assume he's a bad guy. Pat him down, take the backpack away, and hear him out. Three to his one. The icing on the cake was taking the back pack. Now, THAT was cold.

I'm not as wary as the rest of you, I guess. I'd be fodder for the bad guys.

i agree! i felt sick that they left him not once but twice knowing he'd probably die alothough i do get why they took the backpack - its not like he needed it anymore. they need more people to help them fight the Gov so i dont get why theyre turning people away while the gov is recruiting more & more. I get that they have trust issues but c'mon!
you only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough

Jon W

Jon W

Lurker

• Members
  • 403 posts

The Hitchhiker; not only was he real, at the end he was real dead. The ral question was why was he included in the storyline. WalkingStoner provided one possiblity:

I thought the hitchhiker was included for a different reason.

before seeing Morgan, Rick was closed off and not allowing anyone in (Tyreese and Michonne). This was represented by drivign right past somone in need. After seeing Morgan and more importantly after seeing what happens when you shut the world out (Morgan is a Mirror for Rick). Rick stops to pick up the hitchhiker (atleast what's left of him). We all want Tyreese and Sasha (and Andrea) to join Ricks group, I believe it is this episode in which Rick goes full circle back to the possibility of letting others in.

I have to disagree.

"Stops to pick up the hitchhiker {at least what is left of him}" was to me the coldest, most heartless moment of this entire season.

I could handle the original drive by. I could handle the leaving him behind when they got the car out of the mud (I wasn't really happy with it, but I could understand it).

The looking at the dead body and only seeing possible supplies.... THAT was cold.

Yes, the hitchiker brought it on himself... but it was cold.

Notice that Carl commented to Rick that Michonne could be 'one of them'. The enemies are no longer the walkers... it's everybody else. The walkers are now just a new fact of the environment.

The fact that Team Prison is gearing up for a war shows it clearly... they could LEAVE and find another prison.... Instead, the 'enemy' has become anybody else.

In Apache, the word for "stranger" translates as "enemy". Rick and company are pretty close to that.

simplysarah

simplysarah

Lurker

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationOhio

Webisode, please.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • 3,887 posts
  • LocationThe Tardis
I don't think them picking up the backpack was cold, it was realistic. They need any and all supplies they can get their hands on. Why not pick it up?

Cold would be them shooting him in the head and then taking it. Not scavenging possible food and weapons or medical supplies.

WDSWsig.jpg

scarylala

scarylala

Roamer

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Locationin the back of a van somewhere....

I don't think them picking up the backpack was cold, it was realistic. They need any and all supplies they can get their hands on. Why not pick it up?

Cold would be them shooting him in the head and then taking it. Not scavenging possible food and weapons or medical supplies.

exactly! he doesnt need it! plus what if he has medication or something in there? Rick needs 2 look after his wound
you only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I have to say I was a bit torn on what I would do. Pick him up or not. He's alone so he could be surviving off stealing from other survivors. Or it could have been he just recently became alone because he lost his group. However, he was yelling on the road and you don't do or you'll atract walkers. He should have known better. In the end, they sort of picked him up. They took his backpack.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationWNC

I have to disagree.

"Stops to pick up the hitchhiker {at least what is left of him}" was to me the coldest, most heartless moment of this entire season.

It didn't occur to me to see it from that angle (+1). Maybe it was used to show nothing changed, the hitchhiker wasn't useful to them until he was dead. we will have to see Rick's demeanor in the next episode, but I always like when someone gets a totally different interpretation from a scene. With all the collection of resources that takes place in this world that is off camera. I do think the hitchhiker is more than just filler it portrays an attitude, possilbably a direction.

JMK1975

JMK1975

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
When they got stuck they should have tied and blindfolded him, heard him out. If we was in a group like randell then dump him. Otherwise grow the group for the impending war. That's what I would've imagined me doing. But I understand why it played out that way.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationWNC
Paul1957 Wrote the following in an alternate thread in reference to possibably picking up the hitchhiker on the return trip:

"If the hitchiker was still stumbling around when they came back after seeing Morgan they might have aided the guy in some manner, like giving him a weapon and some ammo or made some sort of human response. But they never got that chance.

I think this was meant to show what a few hours hesitation can mean and how thin the line between decent and indecent is, that line stretched a bit thinner when they slow down and grab the backpack."

It brings up an interesting point. Morgan spoke about the weak. Maybe the hitchhiker was to represent the weak.
In a world ful of abandoned cars this guy is out walking the highway. one year into the ZA and this guy doesn't have the resources to clear out some walkers and get a car.

maybe the writers were just intending to show us what happens to teh weak: they get left behind and left for dead. (the scene with picking up the backup... well if they didn't get the backup everyone would be posting on here why didn't they get the backup, those morons)

I am still optimistic they it is to show a positive change in Rick, but this is just an alternate/concurrent meaing to the hitchhiker.

Edited by Dr Cank, 04 March 2013 - 04:56 PM.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • 896 posts
  • LocationPA
Okay. So I, personally, would have felt guilty in picking up the backback. I left the guy to die. I wouldn't feel entitled to his shit. Just me.

Many of you have thought the hitcher brought it on himself. Imagine this: The last of your group is dead. You're walking down the highway and a car comes along. There are no walkers in sight the first time. Do you want to look like a walker? Me? I'd have done exactly as he did in assuming another remaining human would provide safe haven inside the car. Must we automatically take for granted that ALL survivors have encountered marauders?

Hate to say this but TG would have taken him in.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Okay. So I, personally, would have felt guilty in picking up the backback. I left the guy to die. I wouldn't feel entitled to his shit. Just me.

Many of you have thought the hitcher brought it on himself. Imagine this: The last of your group is dead. You're walking down the highway and a car comes along. There are no walkers in sight the first time. Do you want to look like a walker? Me? I'd have done exactly as he did in assuming another remaining human would provide safe haven inside the car. Must we automatically take for granted that ALL survivors have encountered marauders?

I don't think we know near enough about the hitchhiker to say whether TG would have taken him in or not. If the guy was crazy, or linked to a bigger group, the Gov would likely have gathered any relevant info and then offed him (like the helicopter pilot). If he was stable and willing to submit to the Governor's authority, then the Gov probably would have kept him on, but the odds aren't good enough to definitively state one way or the other.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationWNC

Good point. Probably would have tied him up and blind-folded him, but would have given him a chance. So why would this hitchhiker be a threat to Rick but not the Guv?

Also by me calling him weak don't think I automatically agreed with Rick. I said in a previous post that I hope I would have stopped to help him.

Jenners

Jenners

Roamer

• Members
  • 542 posts
I have to say I felt SUPER bad for him. I have a big heart and thinking now in reality I would want to stop for him.. but when I think about it, if I was in that situation that Rick and co. are in, it would be different.. They can't trust anyone and they aren't taking any chances..
As for TG taking him in, yes he would take him in, but then you think to all the other people he took in. The helicopter guy, was taken in and killed after sharing his info and then TG continued onto that camp and killed the rest of the survivors for their resources. If he took the hitchhiker in, and then found out he does have a group, he would probably do the same thing. As well as Tyrese and co. he took them in and provided them with everything, and would let them stay for sure because they said they'd help with the battle against the prison.

In this world, you can say you'd pick the hitchhiker up, but in the reality of ZA, it would probably be different.
I love my town; This will not define us. 12/14/12. We choose love.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Lurker

• Members
  • 432 posts

Yeah, how'd that guy survive so long running and shouting along roadways?!
To me he represented Rick's lost sense of humanity. Pre-farm and Governor, Rick would've helped the guy.

The irony to me is that Rick has benefitted three times from the kindness of strangers - Morgan in episode 1, Glen saved him in the tank and Herschell saved Carl. The hyprocrisy was unsettling to me. (My wife was furious that Rick of all people would ignore someone in need!).

Maybe he wasn't always as reckless. Maybe he was in a desperate situation and knew he needed the help or he (or somebody he was with) was going to die without it. Maybe he had set out from a camp looking for supplies/food/medical attention for somebody in the camp and had realized how infested the road was with walkers.

Austin

Austin

Lurker

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

And then chop off the head

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • 896 posts
  • LocationPA
At least it would have been determined if there was a potential threat to safety. As many have pointed out, his running and screaming down the road doesn't imply much savvy of the ZA and its dangers.

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKentucky

At least it would have been determined if there was a potential threat to safety. As many have pointed out, his running and screaming down the road doesn't imply much savvy of the ZA and its dangers.

It doesn't automatically mean he wasn't putting on an act either. They weren't really in a position to take that kind of risk. Sure, the hitchhiker might have been an innocent guy - he might have even been useful to them. But he could also have been a Ted Bundy putting on a helpless act to trick them so he could kill them and steal their car and whatever supplies they had. They were out there for a reason - they had a job to do. Picking up strangers that could potentially be a threat to them was not part of that job. The guy was not sick or injured. He was capable of running. They didn't leave him to die. They left him to fend for himself. There is a difference. If the guy was a threat, he wasn't going to reveal that until he was in the car and/or had them at a disadvantage. If they let him in the car, he'd have been in the back with Carl. Michonne wouldn't be able to use her sword in the car and being in the car would hinder their movements in terms of getting to their guns regardless. If that guy had been planning to kill them to steal from them, he would have been prepared and could easily have killed at least one of them or put a knife to Carl's throat before they would have time to react.

As for the backpack, I really don't see any difference in them taking that backpack and all the other things they have scavenged from cars or homes along the way. They can't afford to get sentimental about the possessions of dead people.

ZombieVirus

ZombieVirus

Infected

• Members
  • 24 posts
Rick was not in a right state of mind. He did not want the responsibility of taking care of any more people. That could be one reason why he did not pick up that guy. But after seeing what happened to Morgan, it seems his mind cleared up somewhat. So I think he might have stopped to pick up that guy on the return trip. Morgan lost his humanity and Rick was on his way in losing it. Carl also seems to be losing his humanity and Rick can see it. If Rick and the group loses there humanity they lose. They can survive and make hard decisions and still not lose there humanity.

This is what the internet has to say about Humanity.

Humanity is the human race or the quality that makes us human.

When you talk about humanity, you're talking about human beings, humankind, or people as a whole. If you want to see a whole bunch of humanity, go to Times Square in New York City. When people do bad things, it tests your faith in humanity.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Mahatma Gandhi

Only on paper has humanity yet achieved glory, beauty, truth, knowledge, virtue, and abiding love.
George Bernard Shaw

There will be no end to the troubles of states, or of humanity itself, till philosophers become kings in this world, or till those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands.
Plato

Edited by ZombieVirus, 04 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • LocationThe Stratosphere!

I have to disagree.

I could handle the original drive by. I could handle the leaving him behind when they got the car out of the mud (I wasn't really happy with it, but I could understand it).

The looking at the dead body and only seeing possible supplies.... THAT was cold.

Yes, the hitchiker brought it on himself... but it was cold.

Notice that Carl commented to Rick that Michonne could be 'one of them'. The enemies are no longer the walkers... it's everybody else. The walkers are now just a new fact of the environment.

The fact that Team Prison is gearing up for a war shows it clearly... they could LEAVE and find another prison.... Instead, the 'enemy' has become anybody else.

In Apache, the word for "stranger" translates as "enemy". Rick and company are pretty close to that.

It's an old tradition. They even make t-shirts about it. You gather up the casualties personal items to be sent home to the family.

The other gear is scavenged for anything useful to the unit.

I don't think the mail is still running to send any of his things home.

It may seem cold to you, but it's the practical thing to do. He's dead. It doesn't matter to him anymore.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

talks with hands

talks with hands

Infected

• Members
  • 2 posts
I thought that the hitchhiker seemed awfully naive about the post ZA world- yelling, not knowing how to avoid, or kill walkers. PLUS, he looked clean, his items seemed new- the backpack, clothes, a shiney drinking cup. He seemed to have just arrived in Rick's world. How can that be? Where was he before?

Jon W

Jon W

Lurker

• Members
  • 403 posts

It's an old tradition. They even make t-shirts about it. You gather up the casualties personal items to be sent home to the family.

The other gear is scavenged for anything useful to the unit.

I don't think the mail is still running to send any of his things home.

It may seem cold to you, but it's the practical thing to do. He's dead. It doesn't matter to him anymore.

(first off - I'm enjoying the discussion - and I appreciate the different viewpoints. That being said, I'm going to try hard to convince you that you are wrong <grin>).

In response to both of these posts: Rick and Company, while perhaps not the cause of the Hitchhiker's death were at least complicit in it.

We don't know the Hitchhiker's background... there have been comments about the 'newness' of his equipment and that he was nuts to be running along shouting....

Personally, if I was alone in a ZA on a back road in Georgia and a car came driving by, I think I would be shouting, screaming, jumping and running (I would probably draw the line at lying down in front of the car, but that would be about it).

Personally, I like to think I would have had the brains to fade into the woodwork after the first encounter, but it would depend on how desperate I was.

So, we have another human being who is apparently desperate.

Now, Rick and Co. 'stir up' the Walkers are the wreck site. Shots fired (which always brings walkers from the surrounding area). And they once again ignore the Hitchhiker, who is (apparently) just trying to find someone to help him survive. They pull out in a cloud of smoke, leaving him to his own devices.

That makes *twice* that they completely ignored an absolute, heartfelt cry for help.

And then walkers take him down... walkers that have (at least partially) been drawn by the gun shots and car noise of Rick and Co.

Did they shoot him in the head? No. Could they have helped him and chose not to? Absolutely.

Were they the direct cause of his death? No. Did they have some piece of responsibility for it? To my mind, YES.

That is the issue that I have.

Steph's comment is that they didn't shoot him and take his stuff, and I agree, they didn't... but they definitely profited from the noise that they made that helped him get killed.

BWR comments that (in the military) the personal effects are sent home and then everything else goes for the needs of the unit. I agree... but he wasn't IN the unit. They made it blatantly clear that he wasn't 'part of the group' and their actions put him in danger (admittedly, he was stupid, but they did have a part in it). To me, that makes 'profiting from his death' cold, heartless and amoral.

Notice, I'm not saying immoral... it wasn't 'evil'. It was just amoral... this stuff is there, it doesn't matter that we helped cause this, let's just grab the backpack and go....

Your Mileage May Vary....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!