The Walking Dead Ep 12 - Clear - Review

rick michonne carl guns

The Walking Dead Ep 12 - Clear (262 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (218 [83.21%])

83.21%

2. Good - Some Critiques (30 [11.45%])

11.45%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (9 [3.44%])

3.44%

4. Poor (5 [1.91%])

1.91%

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

Pretty good episode. I'm beginning to think the show works best when every episode is a standalone story, with few characters.

I knew Morgan was going to show up again sooner or later, and I wasn't looking forward to material from the great pilot being handed off to this current subpar crew. I thought it was handled relatively well, though. Lennie James serves as a reminder of, oh damn, that's how good the show can be in the hands of a capable actor.

I think you've made a very telling statement there Tea. It seems as if the current production crew may be better suited to working on a smaller, more contained story, with a smaller cast. The big picture may just not be their forte.

Of course having one magnificent performance, and three good ones, tonight didn't hurt.

It's nice to see the bones come together for a change.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

Hate to say it, but this episode bored me. Didn't get what Morgan meant at all, all this 'clear' business just confused me. I also felt like the actor laid it on too thick but that's just my opinion. The Michonne/Carl stuff was pleasant but their relationship is not one I really care about. I rated this episode 'fair'. It did make me laugh in places, especially 'we're eating his food now?'.,'The mat did say welcome' that made me chuckle. I hope Michonne continues coming out of her shell but I have a feeling she probably wont shine again for a while. Also, I found it very unrealistic how quickly Rick recovered from being stabbed, deeply in the shoulder yet Morgan gets shot whilst wearing a bullet proof vest and he's out cold.

Obviously Morgan has gotten involved with Scientology while he has been away. Getting clear is an important step in your religious evolution.
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
Best of S3 no doubt. It feels great to be optimistic again
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

DarylIsHott

DarylIsHott

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas
Voted tonight`s episode excellent...loved it.

Great to see Morgan again although as mentioned before it was sad to find out about his son

No Andrea in this eppy so a big plus :zombiethumbsup:

Zombeemom

Zombeemom

Lurker

• Members
I was left with such bittersweet feelings. I was so happy to see Morgan but so sad to see how his past year has been and that he isn't coming to the prison. I had hoped he would come with them but I understand why not. He might have lost less people in his life the past year than Rick has, but he's been so isolated, it was sad. Guilt is tearing him up so much, I really do hope this brings Rick back.

I also enjoyed the interaction between Michionne and Rick at the end. When he was looking out theSUV window, I kept thinking back to Shane and 18 miles out when he was watching the roamer in the field, a moment of self reflection for both Rick and Shane. I was confused on why Michionne was driving though, just seemed odd.

It was nice to have a break from Andrea and The Gov, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Is it wrong that I told my son that I wouldn't ever eat him and that I give him permission to shoot me guilt free?

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
Best episode in a while, love the fact we got to see an old friend and a new place.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members

Oh yeah, that sucked. Obviously there are rules and standards in place for animal safety, but I still felt uneasy seeing caged animals harassed like that.

Yeah, I read a disclaimer that no rats or animals were harmed in the filming and they were given extra rat chow for the horrible harassment endured to depict the plight of rats and other small animals in a Z apocalypse. Let's hope they were released from further harassment and afforded the services of a rat whisperer to calm them down.

TheHarshTruth

TheHarshTruth

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas

I was confused on why Michionne was driving though, just seemed odd.

You must have just missed it when they were having the conversation where Michonne talks to rick about "seeing people" (hallucinations). Rick asked her to drive. Mainly, Michonne getting to be in the driver's seat was Rick's nod to her - an acceptance - letting her know that she was trusted again, thanks to her understanding and getting the thumbs up from Carl as being "one of them".

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Well, Lennie James is a great actor but I find it hard to care about his character because he disappeared after the first episode and hasn't been seen since. I know I'm in the minority, but when a character disappears for that long I just forget about them and kinda stop caring about them. It was interesting to see what he'd been up to, but I found myself thinking pretty much the same thing Michonne was thinking: Rick just forget him.

I also know that Lennie James is too busy these days to be a regular part of the Walking Dead's cast. We're not likely to see him again, at least not any time soon so it's hard to get invested in his character.

I can understand that. For me it brought back a spark of the essence of the pilot, but I think had not the acting been so superb then I probably would have felt the same way as you. It was hard to not connect or want to care about Morgan for me.

But I agree that we probably wont see too much more of him, an episode or two more maybe. I said this in another thread but I feel like he will have a tragic end as I don't see his character getting a plot past Duane/his wife. I felt like his significance in the story now was a good way to tie his plot up as well as show Rick the path he could go down if he stayed in Crazytown any longer.

In the grand scheme of things some could call this episode a waste as it really didn't progress the current Woodbury v. Prison plot. However I haven't seen this much thoughtful consideration of characters and cinematography since Season 1 even if it is a bit irrelevant.

Pretty good episode. I'm beginning to think the show works best when every episode is a standalone story, with few characters.

I knew Morgan was going to show up again sooner or later, and I wasn't looking forward to material from the great pilot being handed off to this current subpar crew. I thought it was handled relatively well, though. Lennie James serves as a reminder of, oh damn, that's how good the show can be in the hands of a capable actor.

The stuff with Carl was definitely the weakest link. I'm so tired of the trope of a character yelling/obsessing about IT, while conveniently never actually mentioning what IT is (and of course, nobody ever thinks to ask 'look kid, there are a dozen zombies in there, what is so important?') And why the hell is there a picture of the Grimes family in a restaurant anyways?

Finally, is there anybody at this point willing to argue with the assertion that there are almost no rules for the zombies on this show? That shit with the car ambush tonight jumped an ocean full of sharks.

+1 Completely agree.

Also I think you are right. They are focusing on way too many characters all at once especially for character's like Michonne. I feel like unless there are a lot of scenes with her solely being one of the few characters featured then she is going to fade into the background and become a caricature again.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
Saw this on another mb, made me laugh.

- I don't know you!
- you know me!

:lol: great stuff guys

popeye

popeye

Infected

• Members
This was the best episode of season 3 by far for me I have nothing to complain about :) Everything just worked - the best episode of season 3 and Daryl was absent ..

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

In the grand scheme of things some could call this episode a waste as it really didn't progress the current Woodbury v. Prison plot.

I wasn't thinking that. But their visit to King county raises a question: what's so great about the prison anyway? Morgan had a pretty decent setup right there with plenty of guns and food too. Why not bring the group back to king county? It seems safer than the prison at this point. It didn't look overrun with walkers and Morgan was able to stay alive all by himself for over a year, so why can't they?

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
good review

http://mobile.avclub...es/clear,93163/

TheHarshTruth

TheHarshTruth

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas
I simply enjoyed the fact that a LOT of characters voiced their opinions on things that have bugged the heck out of me.

-Michonne calling Andrea out for dissing their friendship over some strange and a warm bed.

-Morgan chewing out Rick for not using the radio as promised. (that irked me so much 1st season!)

-Carol telling Daryl not to let his brother rule him.

-Hershel stopping Rick when he excused himself to return to playing "catch the tormented ghost of Lori" and giving him a grand chewout about growing a sack and manning up because there's no time for his friggin' breakdowns anymore.

-Andrea getting the crap treatment on her return to the gang instead of the hugs and rainbows she expected. I dunno, Andrea is my new Lori. I love to hate her, mainly for the same reasons...she's so...smug and has a pompous air I really dislike. The person who feels entitled, thinks they know more/better than everyone else, thinks they're better than everyone else, and yet the one so clueless even the simplest things have to be spelled out slowly to them for them to comprehend and they never get things right.

Andrea examples:
"I shouldn't have to do laundry, I'm a crack shot and the most epic with a gun!" (then proceeds to nearly kill her pals).
"Michonne is dead wrong, these guys are awesome and Woodbury is full of nice people" (Heh, yeah....you think that babe!)
"Why does Lori get two men, I'm better than her - I think I'll go sleep with Shane to prove it - he'll like me better!"
"Hey geeky scientist guy, look at me - watch how awesome and macho I am at killing walkers!"
"Hey Woodbury chick that guards the wall - I have to have beef with you because we all know that I'm the only woman around here that's tough and I should have *your* job....because I'm EPIC ANDREA, dammit! Watch me scale this wall and kill stuff - I'll prove it!"

....in all, Andrea tries too damn hard to prove her "epic awesomeness". For some reason it REALLY peeves me.

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationColchester, England.
Fantastic episode!

Scott Gimple is giving me a lot of optimism for season 4!

Great writing, great acting, a nice little bit of action, pretty much perfect.

I hope to see Morgan return in the season 3 finale, but if they kill him off that would be ridiculous and it would have blatantly been Mazzara's decision.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
I also thought that the ending with Rick staring out of the car window was a little nod to the ending of 18 Miles out (with Shane doing the same). Both men were contemplating their future.

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?

Hate to say it, but this episode bored me. Didn't get what Morgan meant at all, all this 'clear' business just confused me. I also felt like the actor laid it on too thick but that's just my opinion. The Michonne/Carl stuff was pleasant but their relationship is not one I really care about. I rated this episode 'fair'. It did make me laugh in places, especially 'we're eating his food now?'.,'The mat did say welcome' that made me chuckle. I hope Michonne continues coming out of her shell but I have a feeling she probably wont shine again for a while. Also, I found it very unrealistic how quickly Rick recovered from being stabbed, deeply in the shoulder yet Morgan gets shot whilst wearing a bullet proof vest and he's out cold.

Lol...always someone who sees things back assward. CLEAR meant taking out the zombies because his failure to kill his wife cost him his son, jesus was that really that hard? Lay off the Woodbury Kool-Aid.

Finally an episode with

1) NO FUCKING ANDREA
2) No WOODBURY
3) One Story Line, no jumping around.
4) Solid Acting, and wriitng
5) Return of Morgan

Mazzara probably had nothing to do with this entire work. Maybe he got sick or took a vacation.

Only problem was the massive edit they did with Carl and Michonne in front of the store.

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?

The whole hitch hiker bit was executed in a lovely way. It invoked a lot of conflicting feelings...sadness but understanding that leaving him behind was necessary for survival. Kind of like how Mr. Shut-In With a Dog got sacrificed, except the execution with hitch hiker was more subtle and coherent this time. And I LOVE the metaphor they used for Morgan's self-bestowed duty of clearing walkers. Cleverly representative of him constantly fighting the demons in his head every day.

I have to say the "hitchhiker" being left behind made me consider if Rick is any better then the Governor. The way they left him to die, and then raided his equipment. Was their indifference to his plight any less sadistic then the Governor ambushing the National Guard troops? Leaving him behind was sure to get him killed, to me I felt any type of moral high ground the group possessed was lost in fell swoop.

Darlyna

Darlyna

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMNL, Philippines
Hey where did morgan get all of them guns?

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I wasn't thinking that. But their visit to King county raises a question: what's so great about the prison anyway? Morgan had a pretty decent setup right there with plenty of guns and food too. Why not bring the group back to king county? It seems safer than the prison at this point. It didn't look overrun with walkers and Morgan was able to stay alive all by himself for over a year, so why can't they?

I didn't mean to infer you were, just thinking out loud there at the end.

As far as moving to King County, its a thought. I mean we wouldn't have our big show down if they all turned tail and ran lol. I think it is really similar through to Woodbury vs. Prison. The appeal of the prison is the illusion of containment and impermeability it gives. While even with Morgan's signs and drawings scrawled around as a warning, someone determined or desperate for supplies (it is a town) would still try and explore. Not to mention if a herd happened to pass through. On the contrary, a prison holds a stigma with it. A lot less people would try to break in or be able to if fortified correctly and probably wouldn't want to risk all the potential walkers in there. Although its not as charming or comfortable as living in an abandoned town I think the prison is more practical. Of course I don't think its worth the current risk of the group's lives to protect it, I think it would be wiser to run.

However, I think perhaps Merle or Michonne, or both maybe, mentioned that the Gov would try to hunt them down no matter what. So maybe they feel trapped into this showdown like they might as well fight now to get the upper hand on their own turf. It is consistent with the theme of always looking for somewhere safe to make their homestay.

Zen_Master

Zen_Master

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia
very good episode, and i have a feeling we'll seeing Morgan again.....................

lisa_91

lisa_91

Infected

• Members
i don't know why people are still annoed by Carl.. i wanted to jump in there tonight and give him a pat on the head or hug him..risking is life to get a single picture of his dead mom :(
come on guys, he is still a kid and of course he does stupid things.. but so do Darylnand Rick (Daryl letting himself get captured to see his brother was as stupid and understandable as Carl wanting to get that photo imo).
i loved how he and Michonne bonded and the Rick and Morgan stuff was also good.
No Andrea or Woodbury... that makes up for no Dary, but surprisingly i didn't miss him, as i thought i would.
a true lawyer finds a problem for every solution :D

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom
This was a fantastic episode, and I haven't thought it in a while, best of this season. To me it proves that TWD is at its best when "on the road". Also the hints and untold stories of the other survivors are always more interesting than being stuck in the prison or in Woodbury, where the characters are faceless somethings rather than someone.

It was nice to see Michonne letting go of some of her armour and show vulnerability without becoming sappy. I find the actress great btw, even when she's given material that doesn't allow her to unfold her character much, she manages to subtly convey that there's more behind the mask. I love Carl and Rick's relationship, it's the one things that they got incredibly right all season.

All of the interactions in this episode worked brilliantly, and I'll echo other posts, it was nice to get a break from Merle and especially Andrea, who for me is the new Shane kind of figure i.e. brings chaos wherever she goes.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

CreepMeOut

CreepMeOut

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationToronto
Great episode! Lennie James was just incredible. The only thing that bugged me was how Michonne went back into the restaurant and within seconds came back out with the picture. Other than that I really enjoyed her this episode, finally we see her begin to warm up and a personality unfold. It was great to take a break from Woodbury aswell, and I didn't mind that we didn't get to see the prison since there has been alot of focus there lately. I have to admit, I felt really bad for the hitch hiker but at the same time was glad they didn't pick him up, its really unnecessary to add another character on the show.

I must have not been paying attention but was it mentioned as to why Rick wanted to go back to his hometown?

Rick's Hat

Rick's Hat

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOver here going through your stuff
I loved this episode. We all needed a road trip.

Rick wanted to look for more guns and also look for Morgan.

I also felt bad for the hitch-hiker, but I liked how they picked up his back-pack as they drove by "the mess".

Crazy has come to town for a visit!!

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!