The Walking Dead Ep 12 - Clear - Review

rick michonne carl guns

The Walking Dead Ep 12 - Clear (262 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (218 [83.21%])

83.21%

2. Good - Some Critiques (30 [11.45%])

11.45%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (9 [3.44%])

3.44%

4. Poor (5 [1.91%])

1.91%

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
Well I just got done watching it for the second time and I have got to say, this is one of my favorite episodes of the series.

I believe that this episode could be a stand alone movie. It was so beautifully executed and it has everything one needs in an episode.

I LOVE the fact that it was the just the 4 characters in this episode, plus hitchhiker man. One of the things Walking Dead doesn't execute well is shifts in scenes. For example, The Killer Within episode, the Governor/Andrea/Merle scenes COMPLETELY threw off the feel of what was going on at the prison, especially when it came to the Maggie/Lori/Carl scenes. The fact that this episode was so focused really added a lot.

Don't get me started on Lennie James, because he is just such a fabulous actor.

Loved seeing Michonne coming out of her shell. The line about her going back for that rainbow colored cat was so random but hilarious at the same time. I like this Michonne with a subtle sense of humor.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Carl. I understand where he is coming from but his bratty attitude was back, which surprised me because we haven't really seen his bratty side much this season.

Much needed episode and so refreshing.

VladiaVittler

VladiaVittler

Infected

• Members

The sign left for Erin that her pals tried for Stone Mountain was very reminiscent of the sign and food left for Sofia in Season 2. And just like Sofia, Erin didn't make it on her own - nor did the hitchhiker.

I had the same thought upon seeing the sign. Also, it made me wonder if the hitchhiker could possibly be the "J." from the note.

k87

k87

Infected

• Members
Amazing episode. Like some others have said, it is one of the best in the series in my opinion. I love how the episode took place in one location and focused on just a few characters. I am glad they finally brought Morgan back and also gave Michonne a personality. All of the interactions between the characters were great, and the stuff between Rick and Morgan was amazing. I am definitely excited to see where things go from hear

Island Girl

Island Girl

Infected

• Members
I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Mostly because we found out what happened with Morgan and Duane, and some because Michonne finally spoke and gave a bit of personality and background. And she was there to save dumb Carl from being a stupid kid and getting himself killed. And his getting that picture was totally for himself, not Judith. But I can understand that - he remembers his mom and doesn't want to forget her.

Interesting that both Rick and Morgan have lost their wives, and Morgan lost his son, and they've both gonen uts. Carol lost her husband and daughter, and is still sane. I guess that goes to show who the stronger sex is, eh? Heh.

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
I enjoyed this episode, Michonne and Carl together was pretty good.
I didn't care too much about Morgan's character, but the acting was incredible.

I hope they can mimic some of those traps on the prison, and I also hope they packed some of those grenades for some epic fighting at woodbury.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Lol, then we enjoyed completely different parts. Rick and Morgan were the high points for me.

Well, Lennie James is a great actor but I find it hard to care about his character because he disappeared after the first episode and hasn't been seen since. I know I'm in the minority, but when a character disappears for that long I just forget about them and kinda stop caring about them. It was interesting to see what he'd been up to, but I found myself thinking pretty much the same thing Michonne was thinking: Rick just forget him.

I also know that Lennie James is too busy these days to be a regular part of the Walking Dead's cast. We're not likely to see him again, at least not any time soon so it's hard to get invested in his character.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
Pretty good episode. I'm beginning to think the show works best when every episode is a standalone story, with few characters.

I knew Morgan was going to show up again sooner or later, and I wasn't looking forward to material from the great pilot being handed off to this current subpar crew. I thought it was handled relatively well, though. Lennie James serves as a reminder of, oh damn, that's how good the show can be in the hands of a capable actor.

The stuff with Carl was definitely the weakest link. I'm so tired of the trope of a character yelling/obsessing about IT, while conveniently never actually mentioning what IT is (and of course, nobody ever thinks to ask 'look kid, there are a dozen zombies in there, what is so important?') And why the hell is there a picture of the Grimes family in a restaurant anyways?

Finally, is there anybody at this point willing to argue with the assertion that there are almost no rules for the zombies on this show? That shit with the car ambush tonight jumped an ocean full of sharks.

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members

The stuff with Carl was definitely the weakest link. I'm so tired of the trope of a character yelling/obsessing about IT, while conveniently never actually mentioning what IT is (and of course, nobody ever thinks to ask 'look kid, there are a dozen zombies in there, what is so important?') And why the hell is there a picture of the Grimes family in a restaurant anyways?

A lot of local restaurants or bars have photos of regular customers. Since it was a small town, it's fair to say Rick, Lori and Carl frequented the place and were cool with the owners. When I lived back home there was a restaurant my friends and I went to a lot during college. The day before I moved away we took a group photo and they hung it up there. So that actually happens.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

A lot of local restaurants or bars have photos of regular customers. Since it was a small town, it's fair to say Rick, Lori and Carl frequented the place and were cool with the owners. When I lived back home there was a restaurant my friends and I went to a lot during college. The day before I moved away we took a group photo and they hung it up there. So that actually happens.

Yeah absolutely.

Standard feature of hick town restaurants in the deep rural south lol.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Especially since Rick was the sheriff. That's why I assumed they had his picture at that restaurant.

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy
I just watched the first 10 seconds of the Tour of Morgan's apartment video with Lennie James and it already sounds like a nature documentary -

"This is Morgan's new home, his crib, his man-cave" XD

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
I have to admit I was worried when it seemed that the entire show would focus on Ricks old friend his son and Michonne. I was pleasantly surprised, it had suspense, Zombie scares, and more of Michonne the person than I've seen since, since I don't know when.

Also probably first time I felt bad for Rats, I was actually glad when one ran away :srug:

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
I understand now why Andrew Lincoln said that this was his favorite epi since the Pilot.

I also loved the "Beautiful Mind" reference on the Talking Dead.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

Also probably first time I felt bad for Rats, I was actually glad when one ran away

Oh yeah, that sucked. Obviously there are rules and standards in place for animal safety, but I still felt uneasy seeing caged animals harassed like that.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....

I certainly have hopes for Gimple, but I would wait until he is actually showrunner before deciding what his real mark on the show will be. Writing well is great, but there are a lot more things in a persons control as showrunner than that, and we'll just have to wait and see how capable he is of being the puppet master.

Good point, I may just be too wrapped up in my own excitement :)

Still, showrunning comes down to the respective person's vision/style, and Gimple shows a hell of a lot of promise. As I said in another thread, in all of the episodes he's penned thus far, he's able to achieve a near perfect balance of drama and action. Mazzara hasn't, nor has Darabont aside from the pilot.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

Yeah absolutely.

Standard feature of hick town restaurants in the deep rural south lol.

Yep! Show me somebody that don't have their picture on a small town restaurant wall, and I'll show you somebody that ain't ever eat no grits nor cornbread!

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Oh yeah, that sucked. Obviously there are rules and standards in place for animal safety, but I still felt uneasy seeing caged animals harassed like that.

I just can never tell if your being sarcastic or not????

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
Not being sarcastic, I mean it.

Manitoba_jay

Manitoba_jay

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCanada
Very good episode with just a couple questions

I assume Morgan got that huge arsenal from other humans that came through town.(ak's grenades etc) yet flat out misses 3 unaware people in the middle of the street with a machine gun.I have to wonder how he took down people with military weapons.

If Rick and the Gang spent the WHOLE winter driving back roads and his home town is (seemingly) a few hours away and his really good friend that saved his life was last seen there.Oh ya don't forget all the guns and ammo Rick figures he'll be able to find.Maybe shoulda came sooner?

Shambo

Shambo

S-mart Employee

• Members
The whole hitch hiker bit was executed in a lovely way. It invoked a lot of conflicting feelings...sadness but understanding that leaving him behind was necessary for survival. Kind of like how Mr. Shut-In With a Dog got sacrificed, except the execution with hitch hiker was more subtle and coherent this time. And I LOVE the metaphor they used for Morgan's self-bestowed duty of clearing walkers. Cleverly representative of him constantly fighting the demons in his head every day.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
Great episode, definitely better than last weeks.

1. I may be wrong for the fact, but I kinda laughed the first time the group passed the hitchhiker.

2. The booby trap idea should've been introduced in the comic.

3. Carl is being portrayed accurately. He's tough in the comics and makes dumb decisions every now and then because he's still a kid.

3. Lennie James was GREAT.

4. The last line of dialogue between Michonne and Rick was funny. It's great to see a little humor every here and there.

4. This episode proves that people need to stop complaining. Everybody wanted Rick to stop hallucinating and going crazy, it happened. People wanted Michonne to open up and it happened.

Spoiler

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

Yeah that's one thing I really hate is seeing animals in any type of an entertainment venue. I know about all the rules, but all that activity has got to be unnerving for them. My animals closest brush with such as that is sitting on the couch and eating pretzels with me while we watch the show.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

If Rick and the Gang spent the WHOLE winter driving back roads and his home town is (seemingly) a few hours away and his really good friend that saved his life was last seen there.Oh ya don't forget all the guns and ammo Rick figures he'll be able to find.Maybe shoulda came sooner?

I think Rick just wanted to get away from the prison more than anything else and wanted to get Michonne away from Merle. And I think he was taking Carl's advice about quitting his leadership role for a while.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

Yeah that's one thing I really hate is seeing animals in any type of an entertainment venue. I know about all the rules, but all that activity has got to be unnerving for them. My animals closest brush with such as that is sitting on the couch and eating pretzels with me while we watch the show.

Same here (probably didn't make me feel any better that those rats were about the size of my dog).

Ricktatorship

Ricktatorship

S-mart Employee

• Members
Rated the episode excellent. I think we may see Rick leaving his current mental state after his reflection upon Morgan and all he has tolerated. I think if the prison does fall and TG dies or something. Rick will go back to Morgan and then it will be good again :D

Loved the one storyline episode. One of the best things about this show but it only happens on a rare occasion.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!