The Walking Dead Ep 12 - Clear - Review

rick michonne carl guns

The Walking Dead Ep 12 - Clear (262 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (218 [83.21%])

83.21%

2. Good - Some Critiques (30 [11.45%])

11.45%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (9 [3.44%])

3.44%

4. Poor (5 [1.91%])

1.91%

rumblepup

rumblepup

The Puppetmaster

• Administrators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q6O-iOTNDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDW8tOIyjzk

Realizing they are heavily outgunned against the Governor's forces, Rick leads an expedition to get more weapons. Rick, Michonne, and Carl encounter a stranger in their travels.

rumblepup

rumblepup

The Puppetmaster

• Administrators
That was excellent, and tonight's episode had fantastic acting from Lennie James was fantastic.

Dan D.

Dan D.

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEngland
Great episode. Morgan should have went with them back to the prison!

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen
Good episode, but the show is falling into its old habit of lingering too long on the same themes, in this case, it's lingering too long on the issue of failing mental health. We understand that the ZA makes people crazy. Okay. We get it.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Glenn Rhee

Glenn Rhee

Infected

• Members
  • LocationHilltop Colony

Great episode. Morgan should have went with them back to the prison!

I totally agree dude.

rugter32

rugter32

Infected

• Members
  • LocationGuatemala
Best episode of the season so far, IMO.
Lennie James' acting managed to give it that push it needed for me to consider it so, as well.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
Epic episode.

The tie-ins to Days Gone Bye, the evolution of both Rick and Carl, Michonne opening up, Morgan, damn....

Austin

Austin

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationGeorgia
Michonne really is a ninja. She got that picture in like 10 seconds when it was lieing on the ground next to the door with 20 zombies right there.

Rick gets stabbed and doesn't feel anything, which was strange.
Morgan somehow untied himself from the bed.
Michonne was also smart enough to go on the other side of the road block when going back.

I liked the part with Erin (from the stone mountain sign), and later seeing her attack ricks car, and we learned that the survivor was desperate for help, since he was found lieing dead on the ground.

Darylrocks

Darylrocks

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEdmond,ok
It was Amazing. Lennie James is such a wonderful and powerful actor. They need more episodes like this.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
Not a fantastic episode, but very well written and put together.

It was great to see the matter of fact way the dispatched Walkers when the car was stuck and ignored the hitchhiker (Carl was apparently having thoughts about that at the beginning) which was a great counterpoint to Rick trying to connect with Morgan and bring him back to what they had in the first episode, albiet briefly. Finally the closure, leaving Morgan in his gilded cage and seeing the fruits of their decisions in the remains of the hitchhiker, and then taking his backpack as a matter of practicality.

One of the Walkers in the cafe looked a little like Morgan's wife, I was sure he said he put her down though. Did I just see too much in a zombie in the shadows.

I LOVE the fortified town with Walker traps and human traps combined. Morgan went a little off and created a fortifed Hell for himself. The writing on the wall tells you a LOT, especially the names.

GREAT to see Michonne open up a bit towards Rick and Carl. I suspect Rick got more out of her in the few days they're together than Andrea did all winter.

I missed Maggie, but didn't because the episode was so good. Not perfect, I did feel the cafe scene was written just to give us a Walker fight scene.

I'm editing, I just saw a glimpse of 'Check Please Walker' on Talking Dead and it wasn't Morgan's wife...Mea Culpa!
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

twd85

twd85

Infected

• Members
  • LocationThe Governor's Missing Eye
Great episode. Great acting. we got to see Morgan again and Michonne opened up a bit and did more than just be silent and have a scowl the entire episode! Felt sorry for Morgan. I wished he went with them back to the prison, but I hope it's not the last we see of him. Looking forward to next week!

DukeSilver

DukeSilver

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationWinterfell
Very bittersweet. It was so good to see Morgan -- Lennie James is ridiculously talented -- but man, how sad. I really wanted Morgan to go back with them, but I'm glad they left it open ended. I knew they wouldn't bring him back just to kill him. Rick finding the walkie and Morgan explaining what happened to Duane was so heartbreaking.

I loved the scenes with Michonne & Carl. It's nice to see her finally living up to her potential.

I thought it was an excellent episode with some MUCH NEEDED development for all three characters involved.

3VHWYjA.gif

Austin

Austin

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationGeorgia
Overall I liked the episode though. I laughed when Michonne was eating his food and finally got Carl's head out of his butt.

Shambo

Shambo

S-mart Employee

• Members
I was gonna go back anyway. Couldn't leave this behind. Too damn gorgeous.

Austin

Austin

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationGeorgia
Oh Stan, I thought that was only me that noticed that. Weird.

CrackFox

CrackFox

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEngland
Hate to say it, but this episode bored me. Didn't get what Morgan meant at all, all this 'clear' business just confused me. I also felt like the actor laid it on too thick but that's just my opinion. The Michonne/Carl stuff was pleasant but their relationship is not one I really care about. I rated this episode 'fair'. It did make me laugh in places, especially 'we're eating his food now?'.,'The mat did say welcome' that made me chuckle. I hope Michonne continues coming out of her shell but I have a feeling she probably wont shine again for a while. Also, I found it very unrealistic how quickly Rick recovered from being stabbed, deeply in the shoulder yet Morgan gets shot whilst wearing a bullet proof vest and he's out cold.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
Amazing episode tonight. Simply amazing. Morgan's return couldn't have been more well-executed and acted (Lennie James struck it out of the park once again and really sold the character's broken state). Michonne finally getting some semblance of development (and us as the viewers finally getting to peek into her backstory) was a giant relief.

Easily the best episode of the season, and perhaps one of the best of the entire show so far.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
The episode was okay. I wish they wouldn't have hyped it so much because it wasn't that special. I thought episode 1 and 4 were the best of the season so far.

I liked this episode a lot though. Yay they gave michonne a personality besides angry face and killing zombies. Kind of sucks it took 12 episodes to do it.

I liked michonne and Carl's interaction this episode and her and rick at the end of the episode.

Was the hitchiker guy torn apart at the end of the episode? What was his relevance anyway

And what about the Erin thing?

All in all I thought it was a good episode. I wasn't blown away by it . Liked michonne and Morgan was good too.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
If Rick n co get ousted from the prison I'm sure they'll head back to Morgan for guns and help. Then he'll join them.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
Rating this episode excellent because of Morgan scenes and no Woodbury.

Thoughts...

-Love the touch in the beginning with the the sign on the road, just makes everything that much more cryptic.

-I don't think in good conscious I could have left that guy on the road...twice. But then at the same time I can't judge them, its ZA, he's a liability.

-I like the 6 ninja walkers that came out of nowhere around the car. Ninja/Stealth walker should seriously be an official category of walker.

-Carl is annoying.

-Morgan! Although not a big surprise :P

-Morgan's warnings crack me up! Dead@ the "not shitting you" ax booby trap.

-"He tried to kill us and we didn't leave him for the walkers hes had a good day." Best line, I actually had to laugh at that deadpan response. Also too at least this is consistent with Michonne being super untrustworthy of people even if the other person has confidence in them.

-Carl is super annoying.

-Scenes with Morgan were my favorite. My own heart stopped a bit when he stabbed Rick, it looked so much worse going in than it actually was. Rick seemed like he barely felt it after.

-For the second time in the whole series I teared up. How can Morgan only be in like two episodes but have more depth than almost any other character? The actor Lennie James is amazing, so many feels from that performance.

-Why is Carl so annoying?! I can't with this child. Literally, I cannot. Michonne is a saint for putting up with him. I liked him in the beginning of this season but he was intolerable this episode.

-Michonne likes ugly cat scupltures? Who knew? LOL.

-I liked how they picked up the packers gear at the end. But if I knew I had the chance to save him (twice!!) then saw him dead I don't think I could have handled it. Although I think it shows a good progression of where the character's are in terms of adjusting to this new world.

All in all, I forgot how much I like it when they follow one story line. It was actually refreshing not to see Woodbury. I'm glad Michonne opened up a tad. It was nice to see her in a situation without so much tension. Although if it wasn't for her revealing she talked to her bf as well at the end I would have been a bit disappointed. However I think we are getting places with her, albeit very slowly. We can only hope they don't regress her.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Very bittersweet. It was so good to see Morgan -- Lennie James is ridiculously talented -- but man, how sad. I really wanted Morgan to go back with them, but I'm glad they left it open ended. I knew they wouldn't bring him back just to kill him. Rick finding the walkie and Morgan explaining what happened to Duane was so heartbreaking.

I loved the scenes with Michonne & Carl. It's nice to see her finally living up to her potential.

I thought it was an excellent episode with some MUCH NEEDED development for all three characters involved.

Agreed!
Lennie James is fan-freakin-tastic.
Michonne had some great lines. "Well, it said, Welcome" :lol:

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Hate to say it, but this episode bored me. Didn't get what Morgan meant at all, all this 'clear' business just confused me. I also felt like the actor laid it on too thick but that's just my opinion.

The episode didn't bore me, but I thought Morgan's madness was a little over the top.

And Morgan being MIA for so long has resulted in me caring about him a lot less.

I mean, I just didn't really care about how he was doing or what he had been up to.

We've already seen Rick hallucinating and getting imaginary phone calls. Tonight when we met a crazy guy who was hallucinating, there was a sense of been there, done that (he saw Rick as something other than Rick).

I did enjoy the interaction between Michonne and Carl and I liked seeing Michonne connect with Rick and to see Carl accepting her as a member of the group.

I thought all things Michonne in this episode were excellent.

The Morgan stuff, not so much.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Rating this episode excellent because of Morgan scenes and no Woodbury.

Thoughts...

-Love the touch in the beginning with the the sign on the road, just makes everything that much more cryptic.

-I don't think in good conscious I could have left that guy on the road...twice. But then at the same time I can't judge them, its ZA, he's a liability.

-I like the 6 ninja walkers that came out of nowhere around the car. Ninja/Stealth walker should seriously be an official category of walker.

-Carl is annoying.

-Morgan! Although not a big surprise :P

-Morgan's warnings crack me up! Dead@ the "not shitting you" ax booby trap.

-"He tried to kill us and we didn't leave him for the walkers hes had a good day." Best line, I actually had to laugh at that deadpan response. Also too at least this is consistent with Michonne being super untrustworthy of people even if the other person has confidence in them.

-Carl is super annoying.

-Scenes with Morgan were my favorite. My own heart stopped a bit when he stabbed Rick, it looked so much worse going in than it actually was. Rick seemed like he barely felt it after.

-For the second time in the whole series I teared up. How can Morgan only be in like two episodes but have more depth than almost any other character? The actor Lennie James is amazing, so many feels from that performance.

-Why is Carl so annoying?! I can't with this child. Literally, I cannot. Michonne is a saint for putting up with him. I liked him in the beginning of this season but he was intolerable this episode.

-Michonne likes ugly cat scupltures? Who knew? LOL.

-I liked how they picked up the packers gear at the end. But if I knew I had the chance to save him (twice!!) then saw him dead I don't think I could have handled it. Although I think it shows a good progression of where the character's are in terms of adjusting to this new world.

All in all, I forgot how much I like it when they follow one story line. It was actually refreshing not to see Woodbury. I'm glad Michonne opened up a tad. It was nice to see her in a situation without so much tension. Although if it wasn't for her revealing she talked to her bf as well at the end I would have been a bit disappointed. However I think we are getting places with her, albeit very slowly. We can only hope they don't regress her.

What bothered you so much about Carl?

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
I imply that the name being clear has multiple meanings, as do many of the titles. Clear is Morgan's mission as well as Rick's destination. Morgan's is geographic and Rick's is emotional and psychological. The Hitchhiker shows the cloudiness in the characters, how they are dead inside to the sorts altruism a normal world would provide us. Erin shows us the history of so many people that didn't make it and the consequences waiting for people who lack that clarity. Rick knows now he needs to be clear too, but isn't clear yet. He sees the consequences in the hitchhiker but is still dead enough inside to just take the backpack, and not even take a moment for the loss of a life.
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
Fantasic episode!

I actually teared up when Morgan was telling about what happened to Dwayne. Omg. Poor Morgan. I understand why Rick is so desperate for Morgan to be able to get better; Rick wants to know that he can get better too. I hope Rick, Michonne and Carl were paying attention to all of Morgan's booby traps. They were pretty brilliant and Rick and Co could use them at the prison.

Michonne and Carl together were amazing. Finally, finally they let Michonne open up and wow! I think it was pretty much worth the wait. I'm also happy that Judith is getting some cuddly baby stuff. The mail carrier was fun but she is going to need some tummy time and the prison floor is probably pretty cold, not to mention dirty. I hope they grabbed a Gymini. They should try to get her a Boppy and a Bimpo chair too. :)

I was a bit distressed to see that none of them even considered stopping for the hitchhiker. That shows how cold Rick has really gotten; he would never have just driven on by in Season 1. The signs for Erin and the bracelet on her wrist to show her as a walker were nice touches.

Picking up the hitcher's pack was the coup de gra'ce. Wonderful!!
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!