When Are They Going To Kill Carol Off?

carol death kill annoying

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....

Carol and Andrea live independently from each other. Carol has gotten more development and screen time this season, despite Andrea's increased screen time. Actually, both female characters have seen an increase in screen time and storytelling this season, yet they both co-exist peacefully within the story. Beth's screen time has increased as well. Maggie's remains about the same, but her storyline carries more of a punch this season. And we now have Michonne as well. If anything, it's the men who are getting less air time.

In fact, Carol's death would more likely pave the way for Rosita to be introduced and take her place. Or any other new character, male or female. Carol has risen and flourished independently. Pumping the hate for the other female characters due to Carol's death is jumping gun, especially since it hasn't even happened (and we don't even know IF it will happen). For all we know, Carol survives them all.

Despite the increased screentime, she still doesn't have nearly as much as the rest of the core cast (spare perhaps Beth). I'd say she has about the same front-and-center focus as Milton, and that makes me sad. The character herself has an amazing amount of future story potential; moreso than most of the male characters, and definitely any other female, including Andrea.

Honestly, I couldn't see a more fitting death for Andrea than at the end of this season; given how they've directed her arc. She's trying to keep the peace between the two communities, prevent any more lives from being taken. She's the one symbol of hope in stopping this war, and stepping up as a leader (to the townspeople who'd most likely be participating in the bloodshed) only heightens this chance that she'll succeed. It'd mirror the way Dale went out, their efforts proven pointless at the end of the day because of the new, barbaric world they're living in. It'd also make her deciding not to kill TG even heavier of a scene than it already is.

I feel it's the closest to 'redemption' that the writers can do for her at this point, without seeming shoved down my throat.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen
Okay I'll just say it: I'm personally getting a little sick of the "when will they kill (insert character here) off?" threads. Characters die when they die.

I understand that no one is safe in TWD and I'm just fine with that- really I am but I could care less when or if characters get killed off .

I like Carol's character, but when she dies, she dies and I'll keep watching the show without batting an eye.

Same goes for the rest of the cast and I mean ALL of them.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Okay I'll just say it: I'm personally getting a little sick of the "when will they kill (insert character here) off?" threads. Characters die when they die.

I understand that no one is safe in TWD and I'm just fine with that- really I am but I could care less when or if characters get killed off .

I like Carol's character, but when she dies, she dies and I'll keep watching the show without batting an eye.

Same goes for the rest of the cast and I mean ALL of them.

I do see your point. I partly blame the "Who is going to die next" obsession on Mazzara. You can't read an article without him talking about someone's death. It does seem like deaths are more for shock value than ever before.
I understand that basically no one is safe on TWD but it has gone from so and so's death will push the story forward to "Who can I kill next?"

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I like Carol quite a bit. I think she has grown a lot since the show began. I think she's pretty valuable to the group now and I would hate to see her die off. I love the new Carol. Now beth on the other hand I wouldn't mind so much. She hasn't really done a whole lot with her character and really no development as well.

CrystalBabyGrimm

CrystalBabyGrimm

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationMichigan
I'm with the majority. Carol annoyed me in season 2 as well. However I'm digging her character this season. I don't find her useless anymore. She has came very far since season 1.
I agree with the couple people tho who brought up her not going after Sophia. I don't give a damn how broken I am, if my daughters out alone in the woods with walkers....you best bet I'd be out there looking for her but its not something that ruined the character for me.
I've never been a fan of the Darryl/Carol relationship but if they go that route then so be it.
As far as when she'll be killed? All I keep hearing is how they have some crazy awesome storyline planned for her and I can't wait to see it unfold.

"One more thing......he was an organ donor".

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I do see your point. I partly blame the "Who is going to die next" obsession on Mazzara. You can't read an article without him talking about someone's death. It does seem like deaths are more for shock value than ever before.
I understand that basically no one is safe on TWD but it has gone from so and so's death will push the story forward to "Who can I kill next?"

People are free to bring this topic up of course and that's fine. I just don't understand it.

I accept that everyone is marked for death on this show and that some characters will die sooner, some will die later. I'm indifferent to the fate of individual characters, even my favorites.

I just felt the need to say it and I did.

So there lol.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Despite the increased screentime, she still doesn't have nearly as much as the rest of the core cast (spare perhaps Beth). I'd say she has about the same front-and-center focus as Milton, and that makes me sad. The character herself has an amazing amount of future story potential; moreso than most of the male characters, and definitely any other female, including Andrea.

That just goes to show you how awesome MMB is; she shines so much in her few minutes of screen time that she has everybody talking.

I do agree that she has lots of future story potential, but really, so do any of the characters, assuming they are acted as well as Carol is. The writers could make any characters story more interesting, Carol is a prime example of how that happens. Growth leads to more dimensions to the character, which increases interest. So, depending on what they do with Andrea, Maggie, or heck even Beth(who at this point, I don't care about, she is too flat and one-dimensional), any one of them could have great story potential in the future.

I do care, a lot, about who dies and how soon. I know how much I felt like a spark was gone when Dale and Shane were killed off. None of the new characters are compelling enough at this point to fill the void of someone like Carol dying. Who is going to replace that screen time? Someone I don't care about, unless the writing of new characters changes for the better. That matters, and it'll have lasting effects on the quality of the show.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

That just goes to show you how awesome MMB is; she shines so much in her few minutes of screen time that she has everybody talking.

I do agree that she has lots of future story potential, but really, so do any of the characters, assuming they are acted as well as Carol is. The writers could make any characters story more interesting, Carol is a prime example of how that happens. Growth leads to more dimensions to the character, which increases interest. So, depending on what they do with Andrea, Maggie, or heck even Beth(who at this point, I don't care about, she is too flat and one-dimensional), any one of them could have great story potential in the future.

I do care, a lot, about who dies and how soon. I know how much I felt like a spark was gone when Dale and Shane were killed off. None of the new characters are compelling enough at this point to fill the void of someone like Carol dying. Who is going to replace that screen time? Someone I don't care about, unless the writing of new characters changes for the better. That matters, and it'll have lasting effects on the quality of the show.

I think the show was helped a lot by turning Rick into a crazy, ruthless bastard like he is in the comic lol. As long as Rick continues to be Rick, I think the show will be interesting no matter who gets killed off.

I think season three has featured some of Andrew Lincoln's best acting in the series so far.

I think he's been a far more compelling character this season than he was in previous seasons, and that's the way it should be because he is in fact the show's main protagonist.

Yogle

Yogle

Infected

• Members
Personally, I've never liked Carol. I've always found her annoying and irrelevant. I'm kind of agaisnt the masses here but I personally like Beth more than Carol. My perffered death list to the end of this season would be Carol, Hershal, Andrea, and one of Michonne or Merle

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
I like Carol more and more. I liked that she gave Andrea a warm welcome after Rick's shakedown. She's one of the most intuitive characters, and that has value. She may not be the best warrior, but she does what she can, and contributes what she has to offer. Fighting isn't the only way a person can be useful. She took the time to learn what she could to help with Lori's delivery, even tried to teach herself to perform a C-section. She's been helping with the baby, someone has to do that. She's kind, and good company. People need that.

She's been criticized for not going after Sophia herself, but I took that as realizing Rick and Daryl had a much better shot at success, and running off herself was probably just going to get her killed. It was probably better for her to just stay, and not go off half-cocked and make things worse. It was just a very unfortunate thing that happened, everyone did their best.

Being in an abusive relationship doesn't teach the same skills as police work, or hunting frequently. I know it can be frustrating to watch a person stay in a bad relationship, and it used to piss me off, but I understand now that the psychology of that is complicated, and it isn't fair to judge. I've found her whole story interesting and believable. I don't want her to go any time soon.

CreepMeOut

CreepMeOut

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationToronto
Killing Carol off would be a really big mistake. Seeing her develop from meek, abused housewife to someone who feels worthy and confident through a ZA has been fascinating. We've already lost some of best actors on the show and Melissa McBride is killing it! The way she portrays the character and delivers her lines has always been believable.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I think the show was helped a lot by turning Rick into a crazy, ruthless bastard like he is in the comic lol. As long as Rick continues to be Rick, I think the show will be interesting no matter who gets killed off.

I think season three has featured some of Andrew Lincoln's best acting in the series so far.

I think he's been a far more compelling character this season than he was in previous seasons, and that's the way it should be because he is in fact the show's main protagonist.

I'm not disagreeing, I think AL is always great, and this season has been no exception. But he doesn't use up all the screen time, nor should he, so there needs to be other really compelling characters. That is why it matters to me who else gets killed off.

NiallC

NiallC

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationManchester, England.
I like it when they have weaker characters although she isn't that weak anymore. If there was no weak characters then it would be pointless, the show is about people working together to survive, if everyone was mega strong then there wouldn't be a show. Imagine if the group was just Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Glenn and Maggie; how rubbish would that be. She also is the one with the most interesting back story and development, she is amazingly written and acted.

Also she isn't that weak, she helped to attack the prison and kept herself alive when T Dog died, she isn't that weak anymore.

"Get one thing straight. You're staying? This isn't a democracy anymore."

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Her relationship with Daryl is ridiculous and there is no depth to her character.

This sentence right here is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. Have you even watched this show? Carol has BY FAR come the farthest out of any character on this show. Rewatch season 1 and you'll see that she is the most changed character we have seen. There is more depth to her character than all of the other female characters combined. On the show, the only character that I'd say has more depth than her is Daryl, and that is arguable. Rick and Merle have depth as well, but nowhere near Carol (and Daryl)

Also, Daryl and Carol's relationship is one of the most refreshing relationships I've seen on a television show in a long time. Give me an example of one other television show that has a deep friendship between a grown male and female that is not at all sexual. There probably is none. Hollywood and TV never show relationships between a man and a woman without it being sexual. This friendship between these two characters is so pure because we can see how they need each other, and that they truly understand and get the other one. Their pasts have so much pain, and I think through each other they have released that pain and are able to move on in the zombie apocalypse.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
Whether you like Carol or not, I happen to like her by the way, she is probably the most realistic character in the series to me. She is in my opinion a fairly accurate representation of how a normal person would react in such a situation.

Now that I think about it, I can't decide if Carol or Carl "just doin' my job as best I can here" Grimes is my favorite character. :smiley-confused002:

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

afc

afc

Infected

• Members
I also really like Carol. She's one of the few supporting characters who's actually been allowed to develop over the course of the series, and she's done so in interesting ways. I also agree that her character seems more realistic than most of the others on this show. For me, at least, this is how a woman of her background, living through these experiences, would likely respond to the ZA.

Female characters don't seem to be particularly well written on this show, so that makes Carol all the more interesting to me. I hope she'll be around for a while, although I realize that nobody is safe here (nor should they be, given the premise of the show).

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

nobody is safe here (nor should they be, given the premise of the show).

Bingo.

As to when where how characters die, I just leave that up to the writers.

If Carol dies in the next episode, I'll just accept it. If she lives another season, I'll just accept that too.

And if she lives a good while longer, I won't complain about how they are pandering to the battered women's demographic.

Island Girl

Island Girl

Infected

• Members
I've loved Carol from Season 1. Not for who she was then, but for her potential, as well as how wonderfully Melissa plays her. She's always been relatable and realistic. She's someone I can imagine in real life, unlike Michonne, who is still a bit too "comic" for me. I love Maggie as well, but I'm having trouble relating to Andrea. I hope we get Carol for a good long while yet, as I thin she still has a lot of story to go. I would be heartbroken if she dies soon.

Augustana

Augustana

Infected

• Members
Carol is my favorite TWD character since season 2, therefore I would also be really sad if she dies anytime soon. Besides, the best scenes - conversation- and acting-wise - right now are in my opinion the ones that include Carol and Hershel.

Darylrocks

Darylrocks

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEdmond,ok

I've loved Carol from Season 1. Not for who she was then, but for her potential, as well as how wonderfully Melissa plays her. She's always been relatable and realistic. She's someone I can imagine in real life, unlike Michonne, who is still a bit too "comic" for me. I love Maggie as well, but I'm having trouble relating to Andrea. I hope we get Carol for a good long while yet, as I thin she still has a lot of story to go. I would be heartbroken if she dies soon.

I agree with you.

mplebanon

mplebanon

Infected

• Members
Well, Frank Darabont has a new TV series starting on TNT called "Lost Angels" and Frank has favorite actors he uses over and over. Melissa was in "The Mist" and now TWD. Jon Bernthal (Shane) and Jeffrey Demunn (Dale) have already been cast in his new show. Also the check-out girl who meets a grisly death in "The Mist" has been cast as the female lead in his show. So maybe if Carol dies soon she can reappear on "Lost Angels". If that show makes it, there are rumors that Thomas Jane (The Mist) will be joining the cast of that show. Demunn has appeared in more Darabont productions than any actor. Demunn, McBride, and Holden all appeared in The Mist.

Luv2readt.

Luv2readt.

S-mart Employee

• Members
Lost Angels sounds like it has a good cast.

LoboWon

LoboWon

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCosta Rica/Los Angeles, CA
I'd like to see the Governor get his just rewards.

I also woldn't mind if Andrea got taken out.

She should have killed the Gov.

JMK1975

JMK1975

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationHouston, Texas
For the season finale my friends are throwing a TWD party. We are gonna dress up as our favorite characters and such. We are also having a dead pool for the last episode. Everyone throws in 10 bucks. We draw a number out of a hat for the order and get to draft who we think will die of the main grouping of characters- Martinez doesn't count, he's a goner for sure.

I have been hemming an' hawing on who I should choose, assuming they even make it to the season finale. My first thoughts have been Carol, but many of you have changed my opinion. She is a strong character with room to grow. Andrea seems like the perfect person to get killed for her role in the coming battle.

What say you?

Also we are using the honor code and not exploring possible spoilers when the date gets closer.

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom

Also, Daryl and Carol's relationship is one of the most refreshing relationships I've seen on a television show in a long time. Give me an example of one other television show that has a deep friendship between a grown male and female that is not at all sexual. There probably is none. Hollywood and TV never show relationships between a man and a woman without it being sexual. This friendship between these two characters is so pure because we can see how they need each other, and that they truly understand and get the other one. Their pasts have so much pain, and I think through each other they have released that pain and are able to move on in the zombie apocalypse.

I would agree, but that is provided they don't turn it sexual. I think NR has thrown lots of hints around recently that it very well will. Can't say I'm thrilled, it cheapens the whole dynamic imo.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!