When Are They Going To Kill Carol Off?

carol death kill annoying

alexinoble

alexinoble

Infected

• Members
I read that she was meant to get killed instead of T-Dog but they changed it last minute and killed T-Dog instead.

I find her very annoying as she seems pretty much useless to the group and rarely seems to help with anything. She isn't that old but you never see her defend, help the group or herself and she has had to be saved a number of times.

Her relationship with Daryl is ridiculous and there is no depth to her character. She is not a main character yet she still clings on to the group.

They have no reason to keep defending her as she isn't even a relative of anyone.

Does anyone know if she is getting killed off soon? I hope so :P

Oh and btw I don't remember her ever going to look for her own daughter when she was missing! She left daryl and rick to do it and waited at the farmhouse!

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
She's one of the most realistic characters on the show.

She's by far the most tolerable and consistently written female character. In addition to that, she has the most future potential out of all of them.

Melissa McBride has delivered one of the strongest and most exhausting performances out of all the actors, for three whole seasons now. No one, aside from perhaps Andy Lincoln, has had to work as much as her, in terms of range.

If she goes anytime soon, it'll majorly suck. Aren't you better off killing those who's deaths wouldn't diminish the integrity of the writers and the overall quality of the show?

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom
Surprisingly, this season she turned out to be a pretty good character that is being taken in an interesting direction. I'm glad they didn't go for the obvious hook up with Daryl, which in my opinion would have hampered the characters' development. I don't want her killed off yet, I'd rather someone else went instead.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Darylrocks

Darylrocks

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEdmond,ok

She's one of the most realistic characters on the show.

She's by far the most tolerable and consistently written female character. In addition to that, she has the most future potential out of all of them.

Melissa McBride has delivered one of the strongest and most exhausting performances out of all the actors, for three whole seasons now. No one, aside from perhaps Andy Lincoln, has had to work as much as her, in terms of range.

If she goes anytime soon, it'll majorly suck. Aren't you better off killing those who's deaths wouldn't diminish the integrity of the writers and the overall quality of the show?

Well said. Melissa is amazing. She can make you feel the pain that she is going through. She is probably the most stable of the group right now. I

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
I'm not sure we're watching the same show. :smiley-confused002:
I liked her in season 2 as well, but I know her usefulness was really questioned by some in season 2. This season, though? She is the only other person besides Hershel that has any medical knowledge. She defends the group as much as she can; she has learned to use a weapon, and has used one in every situation where appropriate. The word usage of "never" is a flat out lie in regards to her defending the group. She also continues to do the cooking and laundry and helps with the baby..she is probably sharing that job with only Beth at this point.

Why do you think her relationship with Daryl is ridiculous? I think it is one of, if not the best, developed relationship on the show. Do you wish that Daryl had stayed the same as he was in season 1? Although the "new Daryl" was always in there, I'm not sure he would be the guy he is now if Carol hadn't coaxed it out of him.

Not many characters on the show have been as thoroughly developed as Carol: the beaten down mother who finally gets out from under her husbands thumb, but can't shrug off her old inability to stand up for herself. She loses her daughter, and latches on to Daryl as someone to occupy her time. Eventually, she throws off her old self and learns to shoot and defend herself. She becomes more talkative in the group, and has a new calm, level-headed approach to life in this world. She cares deeply for other people, and yet isn't a wimp or impractical. Um...lack of development?

Anyway, l can understand not liking Carol..you don't have to like her. But you can't dismiss her as useless or defenseless anymore.

Darylrocks

Darylrocks

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEdmond,ok

I liked her in season 2 as well, but I know her usefulness was really questioned by some in season 2. This season, though? She is the only other person besides Hershel that has any medical knowledge. She defends the group as much as she can; she has learned to use a weapon, and has used one in every situation where appropriate. The word usage of "never" is a flat out lie in regards to her defending the group. She also continues to do the cooking and laundry and helps with the baby..she is probably sharing that job with only Beth at this point.

Why do you think her relationship with Daryl is ridiculous? I think it is one of, if not the best, developed relationship on the show. Do you wish that Daryl had stayed the same as he was in season 1? Although the "new Daryl" was always in there, I'm not sure he would be the guy he is now if Carol hadn't coaxed it out of him.

Not many characters on the show have been as thoroughly developed as Carol: the beaten down mother who finally gets out from under her husbands thumb, but can't shrug off her old inability to stand up for herself. She loses her daughter, and latches on to Daryl as someone to occupy her time. Eventually, she throws off her old self and learns to shoot and defend herself. She becomes more talkative in the group, and has a new calm, level-headed approach to life in this world. She cares deeply for other people, and yet isn't a wimp or impractical. Um...lack of development?

Anyway, l can understand not liking Carol..you don't have to like her. But you can't dismiss her as useless or defenseless anymore.

Could have not said it any better myself. She would lay her life down for the people in this group and is clearly a new and improved women.

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania
I certainly hope she doesn't die anytime soon. Carol has grown into a character that I am very invested in. Behind Rick and Daryl, Carol has probably come the furthest, development-wise. Remember what a meager, sad, abused wife she was in the beginning--too weak to do anything more than wash all the men's laundry--too scared to stand up for herself for laughing? But smart enough to secretly hold onto a grenade and know when to use it.
In the most recent episode, "I Ain't A Judas," Carol conceives the plan of Andrea sleeping with the Governor and stabbing him in his sleep. In the episode prior, "Home," she tells Beth that she now imagines herself as strong enough to stand up to Ed and tell him off for his abusive ways. That's something Season 1-Carol wouldn't have even dared muse aloud. We saw how scared she was. She allowed to Ed to abuse her, hit her innocent friends and it was alluded to that she was aware of Ed sexually abusing Sophia. A pathetic women. We saw how eager she was to pick-axe his head after he'd been bit. There's also the responsibility there. She saw Ed's death as her chance to grow into a women who could defend herself and her daughter. Almost immediately, we saw her bonding with Rick and Lori and smiling and laughing with them--making friends and making plans for the future. Carol and Sophia ask the Grimes if they could all travel to the Grand Canyon one day. It's an emotionally tearing scene for me now that all that tragedy has happened.

If Lori hadn't held Carol back during the Herd attack in Season 2, Carol would've done want a weaponless mother could've done to protect her under-attack daughter. No one allows Carol to search for Sophia because of how obviously broken she was and the fact that she couldn't yet fight off Walkers. After the reveal of Sophia and Rick putting her down, Carol righteously stands up for her beliefs in Heaven against Carl and shows angst toward Rick.

When we re-visit Carol in Season 3, we almost instantly see that she's now sexually confident with Daryl, has found as much happiness as possible in her situation and can hold her ground against Walkers. Rick mentions that Carol's become a good shot with a rifle and we see her atop a guard tower during the clear-out, picking off Walkers. She's not yet a perfect shot, as she almost shots Rick, but she calmly reacts to the situation. pre-Winter Carol would've had a breakdown over her accident. Now she knows how to deal with these things. We also learn that she's had Hershel train her i first-aid and teach her about performing a C-Section. We see Carol approach Walkers on her own and further practice as to guarantee Lori's safety.
I believe she also uses a handgun to take out a number of Walkers as she and T-Dog try to seal off the breached sections of the prison and meet back up with the rest of the group. She gets attacked and is out of ammo. She uses a make-shift hatchet to take on a bunch of Walkers on her own and when it gets stuck in one's head, she manages to hide in a safe room until Daryl rescues her.

I personally find Carol amazing. She was tedious in Season 2, but now that we've seen where her arc is supposed to go, I find her to be an inspiration to women who are victims of domestic-abuse. I also find her to be an intriguing character to watch develop. Like I said, she's come a long way and to see how strong she is now--it's a testament to how hard she is. And yet, she treats everyone fairly and equally. She cares so much for her new "family."
I love her stories of personal growth. I always love anyone who can acknowledge how much they've changed over a period of time. I love her quirky and digestible relationship with Daryl. I love the way she tried to help Axel find his niche in the group, despite his perviness. I love she way she stands up for Beth and tries to prepare the girl to not be a victim. I love the way she uses such quick intellect in situations that would otherwise end her life.
And I absolutely love the way that Melissa McBride portrays the character. If she had more time to display what she's capable of with the character, I'd say she's probably worth an award ;)

Carol is one of the best characters on the show, in my opinion. While she's around, I'll love the character. I hope we see more of Carol becoming a physically and emotionally strong and independent women who can both protect and provide for her friends. I do think she needs to die eventually, but I don't think that time has come quite yet.

Why should Carol not "cling" to the group? That's what you do in these situations...You hook up with capable, good people and work well together to both survive and maintain what makes you good people. The people who go off on their own--they long for good people to talk to. Carol should never be the person that Michonne is. Carol isn't a recluse. She's a women growing her wings and opening up to trust-worthy people.
Carol has much more depth than a good chunk of characters who are actually a part of the main cast. Merle, Michonne, Governor...
Her relationship with Daryl seems totally believable as a women who spent years being beat by a man of similar roots and allowing him to torment their daughter. And Daryl as another victim of many abuses who's never once shown any sexual desires. He definitely seems to care a lot about her. My impression is that Daryl views Carol as someone who just needs a temporary helping hand. I think he sees an iteration of himself in her.
Can you explain in better depth why you don't like her?

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

This is me, reading the majority of your posts....

I'm not really Stanley from The Office....or a balding black man.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
If you would've made this thread during season two I would've agreed. I hated her in season 2 I thought she was useless then. And annoying and I thought she brought daryls character down.

However this is season 3 and shes now one of my favorites. Some people are saying shes the most realistic I agree with that besides I think any mother would go after her child. Anyways shes a very good character this season. She kills zombies and has grown a lot from the weak frail and abused women she was in season one. She learned how to defend herself with a gun (not a twig) and I love her new found sense of humor.

I think with the new character shes taken on it really shows melissas acting skills more then ive been able to see before. She is obviously a very seasoned talented actress

As for when she'll die I think its debateable. Shes a wild card as far as dying goes for me. I thought she'd be done at the end of season two. Now I hope she makes it out of season 3 :)

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

I certainly hope she doesn't die anytime soon. Carol has grown into a character that I am very invested in. Behind Rick and Daryl, Carol has probably come the furthest, development-wise. Remember what a meager, sad, abused wife she was in the beginning--too weak to do anything more than wash all the men's laundry--too scared to stand up for herself for laughing? But smart enough to secretly hold onto a grenade and know when to use it.
In the most recent episode, "I Ain't A Judas," Carol conceives the plan of Andrea sleeping with the Governor and stabbing him in his sleep. In the episode prior, "Home," she tells Beth that she now imagines herself as strong enough to stand up to Ed and tell him off for his abusive ways. That's something Season 1-Carol wouldn't have even dared muse aloud. We saw how scared she was. She allowed to Ed to abuse her, hit her innocent friends and it was alluded to that she was aware of Ed sexually abusing Sophia. A pathetic women. We saw how eager she was to pick-axe his head after he'd been bit. There's also the responsibility there. She saw Ed's death as her chance to grow into a women who could defend herself and her daughter. Almost immediately, we saw her bonding with Rick and Lori and smiling and laughing with them--making friends and making plans for the future. Carol and Sophia ask the Grimes if they could all travel to the Grand Canyon one day. It's an emotionally tearing scene for me now that all that tragedy has happened.

If Lori hadn't held Carol back during the Herd attack in Season 2, Carol would've done want a weaponless mother could've done to protect her under-attack daughter. No one allows Carol to search for Sophia because of how obviously broken she was and the fact that she couldn't yet fight off Walkers. After the reveal of Sophia and Rick putting her down, Carol righteously stands up for her beliefs in Heaven against Carl and shows angst toward Rick.

When we re-visit Carol in Season 3, we almost instantly see that she's now sexually confident with Daryl, has found as much happiness as possible in her situation and can hold her ground against Walkers. Rick mentions that Carol's become a good shot with a rifle and we see her atop a guard tower during the clear-out, picking off Walkers. She's not yet a perfect shot, as she almost shots Rick, but she calmly reacts to the situation. pre-Winter Carol would've had a breakdown over her accident. Now she knows how to deal with these things. We also learn that she's had Hershel train her i first-aid and teach her about performing a C-Section. We see Carol approach Walkers on her own and further practice as to guarantee Lori's safety.
I believe she also uses a handgun to take out a number of Walkers as she and T-Dog try to seal off the breached sections of the prison and meet back up with the rest of the group. She gets attacked and is out of ammo. She uses a make-shift hatchet to take on a bunch of Walkers on her own and when it gets stuck in one's head, she manages to hide in a safe room until Daryl rescues her.

I personally find Carol amazing. She was tedious in Season 2, but now that we've seen where her arc is supposed to go, I find her to be an inspiration to women who are victims of domestic-abuse. I also find her to be an intriguing character to watch develop. Like I said, she's come a long way and to see how strong she is now--it's a testament to how hard she is. And yet, she treats everyone fairly and equally. She cares so much for her new "family."
I love her stories of personal growth. I always love anyone who can acknowledge how much they've changed over a period of time. I love her quirky and digestible relationship with Daryl. I love the way she tried to help Axel find his niche in the group, despite his perviness. I love she way she stands up for Beth and tries to prepare the girl to not be a victim. I love the way she uses such quick intellect in situations that would otherwise end her life.
And I absolutely love the way that Melissa McBride portrays the character. If she had more time to display what she's capable of with the character, I'd say she's probably worth an award ;)

Carol is one of the best characters on the show, in my opinion. While she's around, I'll love the character. I hope we see more of Carol becoming a physically and emotionally strong and independent women who can both protect and provide for her friends. I do think she needs to die eventually, but I don't think that time has come quite yet.

Why should Carol not "cling" to the group? That's what you do in these situations...You hook up with capable, good people and work well together to both survive and maintain what makes you good people. The people who go off on their own--they long for good people to talk to. Carol should never be the person that Michonne is. Carol isn't a recluse. She's a women growing her wings and opening up to trust-worthy people.
Carol has much more depth than a good chunk of characters who are actually a part of the main cast. Merle, Michonne, Governor...
Her relationship with Daryl seems totally believable as a women who spent years being beat by a man of similar roots and allowing him to torment their daughter. And Daryl as another victim of many abuses who's never once shown any sexual desires. He definitely seems to care a lot about her. My impression is that Daryl views Carol as someone who just needs a temporary helping hand. I think he sees an iteration of himself in her.
Can you explain in better depth why you don't like her?

Wow we had almost the same response except yours was articulated better and had a lot more info! Haha. Love your post and agree with just about every point you made. :)

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
Thank you, Stick! :) You've got a fine post, yourself. You just didn't bloat it as I did :P The enjoyability and validity of my bloating is debatable. I just really love Carol at this point.
I agree with you in hating Carol last year, but as I noted, now that we've seen the next chapter of her character, what was once tedious, is now delicious.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Thank you, Stick! :) You've got a fine post, yourself. You just didn't bloat it as I did :P The enjoyability and validity of my bloating is debatable. I just really love Carol at this point.
I agree with you in hating Carol last year, but as I noted, now that we've seen the next chapter of her character, what was once tedious, is now delicious.

Completely agreed. :) yeah I enjoy her character now. And I think her development has been the most drastic of everyone. She didn't know how to defend herself and kill zombies for 2 whole seasons and now look at her. I do wonder how far she'll make it though. I feel like it'd be too obvious for her, hershel, beth or Merle to die next. I'm very confused as to where her place on the kill next list is. But I'm liking her which is good for me (maybe bad for carol :(

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
Serenity - :luvzombismile:

And it's ok if you are secretly Stanley. Stanley's awesome.

kataurmayor

kataurmayor

Lurker

• Members
Not this season I hope.. I'm with everybody else on here. She was anooying season 2 but I saw potential ever since she crushed eds skull..and this season she has been the lead female in my eyes. At lwast at the prison. I disagree with the op on this one.

andreagrimes

andreagrimes

Infected

• Members
Setting aside how awesome Carol is as a character for a moment (she really is extraordinary, especially given how poorly written of a character she was in the comics), I do find it interesting how she's now been up for two death scenes this season, and they keep saving her at the last minute. The writers keep talking about a great story they've got for her coming up, and I'm worried that what they mean by great story is having her and Daryl get together and then she's killed afterwards. It'd be a shame if they fridged her, especially after her having come so far as a character. Hopefully by great story, they mean she'll play a major role in the fight between Woodbury and the prison.

Though in all honesty, I do not expect her to survive past the prison arc. They'll probably be trimming the cast down to form a smaller group for the eventual Hunters and Alexandria arcs (Rick, Carl, Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, Daryl, and Andrea if she survives this season will probably be the only ones to get away). It's going to be a shame to see her go, but the audience adores her and the writers will definitely go for painful deaths to make the final battle with the Governor all the worse.

Kat

Kat

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPretty Much A Swamp
I agree that Carol has grown into quite a likeable character. I actually have hope for her surviving this season. With the focus so heavily on Beth's relationship with the baby, I think it takes some of the death cloud off of Carol. I am glad that they have given her a bit more depth this season.

Now Beth on the other hand. . .

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
I think she'll die eventually (next one after Beth), but I think she's still alive because the writers want her death to impact Daryl in a crippling way. So in order for Carol's death to be that crippling, they need to keep her around a little longer and show more of her friendship with Daryl. Also, remember last season most of the fandom HATED Carol. As a writer, I wouldn't kill a character that the fandom hates, just because I don't think I'd be doing anything creative. I'd feel like I'd be getting rid of a problem the fandom is asking me to get rid of and compromising my creative integrity.

They also have the Caryl camp pressuring them to do something with Caryl and hook them up. I think Mazzara is under the wrongful impression that if he doesn't do something with Caryl the ratings will drop considerably (and that's obviously not true). But it's also obvious that he has no plans for Caryl, so it's kinda like he's keeping her around to string these viewers along. Which is disgusting. Either go for it, or don't, but don't play with people like that.

I think she'll probably survive the season, but she's a goner next season for sure. They're fattening her up because they want her death to be epic and emotional as all hell. They want people crying and sobbing. For that to happen they need to turn her into a saint first.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....

I think she'll die eventually (next one after Beth), but I think she's still alive because the writers want her death to impact Daryl in a crippling way. So in order for Carol's death to be that crippling, they need to keep her around a little longer and show more of her friendship with Daryl. Also, remember last season most of the fandom HATED Carol. As a writer, I wouldn't kill a character that the fandom hates, just because I don't think I'd be doing anything creative. I'd feel like I'd be getting rid of a problem the fandom is asking me to get rid of and compromising my creative integrity.

They also have the Caryl camp pressuring them to do something with Caryl and hook them up. I think Mazzara is under the wrongful impression that if he doesn't do something with Caryl the ratings will drop considerably (and that's obviously not true). But it's also obvious that he has no plans for Caryl, so it's kinda like he's keeping her around to string these viewers along. Which is disgusting. Either go for it, or don't, but don't play with people like that.

I think she'll probably survive the season, but she's a goner next season for sure. They're fattening her up because they want her death to be epic and emotional as all hell. They want people crying and sobbing. For that to happen they need to turn her into a saint first.

If they really want to troll the audiences, shouldn't they pull the 'Alien Vs Zombie war' aspect instead? It wouldn't do much for their integrity, but they'd still have some semblance of it left :)

No but seriously, for me, Carol's easily the most tolerable woman on the show and this will more than likely remain. The thought of having to sacrifice her and give more screentime to Andrea's egocentrism and duck faces just frustrates the hell out of me.

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNew Zealand
I've grown to quite like Carol this season. She's upped her gun-handling skills and seems to be a steady, contributing member of the group. I can't see wny anyone would dislike her so much as to wish her killed.

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Biter

• Members
  • LocationLouisiana
I am tired of the writers killing everyone off by this point. Like many above I have grown to like Carol's character development in S3. She is no longer acting the part of the abused wife in S1 and feeling like the misfit/burden throughout S2. I think that she is coming out of her shell and hardening a bit but she has found her own place in the group and feels stronger for it without being a victim or burden at this point so I hope that they don't do her in anytime soon.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes

The thought of having to sacrifice her and give more screentime to Andrea's egocentrism and duck faces just frustrates the hell out of me.

Carol and Andrea live independently from each other. Carol has gotten more development and screen time this season, despite Andrea's increased screen time. Actually, both female characters have seen an increase in screen time and storytelling this season, yet they both co-exist peacefully within the story. Beth's screen time has increased as well. Maggie's remains about the same, but her storyline carries more of a punch this season. And we now have Michonne as well. If anything, it's the men who are getting less air time.

In fact, Carol's death would more likely pave the way for Rosita to be introduced and take her place. Or any other new character, male or female. Carol has risen and flourished independently. Pumping the hate for the other female characters due to Carol's death is jumping gun, especially since it hasn't even happened (and we don't even know IF it will happen). For all we know, Carol survives them all.

Luv2readt.

Luv2readt.

S-mart Employee

• Members
KIlling Carol? What a horrendous idea, My affection for Carol is enriched by her relationship with Daryl but not dependent on it. Daryl has been kinda a jerk lately and I still love Carol. I almost fell out of the chair when she told Andrea how to kill Governor, but it is consistent with Carol's abused past. It was also a plan to save the Prison and maybe Woodbury as well. Making everyone a soldiers just means that they are recruiting cannon fodder for the assault, who will protect Woodbury. The zombies haven't gone away. I still remember the herd/horde that took the farm. A group that size could overwhelm the walls of Woodbury, especailly if its being guarded by a bunch of newbies.
Killing anyone at the prison is a bad idea. Personally I would booby trap the prison to kill the invaders and take off. If Rick gets some more ammo and weapons they have a chance, but right now walkers are roaming into the previously fenced off areas, food, ammo, and fighters are in short supply. Sounds like a death wish to stay there.
Killing cast members comes with a price, we will not have an emotional connection to new characters for a while. Michonne for example. Kill off the red shirts and let the games begin but don't kill Carol just to enhance Daryl's development. That would be a terrible waste of talent in Mellissa McBride. Daryl needs to speed up his own emotional development for a while.

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members

I do find it interesting how she's now been up for two death scenes this season

I'm well aware of the essential coin-flip between her and T-Dog in "Killer Within," but what's the other scene of which you're referencing?
I think it might be a good thing that the writers keep changing their minds on her. Maybe they're seeing the potential that we're finally enjoying. To kill Carol anytime soon would be a massive waste of potential for a great character. I think it'd be awesome if--in due time--we saw her tag-along on an A-team mission and come out unscathed. When she does die, I think it needs to be one of the most emotional deaths that we, as an audience, should be subjected to. Not necessarily a gruesome death, but an emotional one.

Rick's Hat

Rick's Hat

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOver here going through your stuff
Wow really, I'm loving Carol this season, she is really coming into her own (keep it up writers) she could become a front runner on the show I think.

Crazy has come to town for a visit!!

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
@Rick's Hat: It could be really interesting if Carol grew into the lead female. Though, I'm currently worrying about the fall of the prison... I think it'll lack a lot of tragedy in the tv show. I'd love for Carol to stick around, but...I don't know...

Spoiler

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!