Taking A Liking To Merle

merle not dick anymore

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

The Governor never told him to kidnap Glenn & Maggie. He should have stayed put and waited at the abandoned shops for Daryl like Glenn suggested. Any inkling of humor I felt for Merle was gone when he kidnapped a couple trying to find baby formula. Imagine the road the story would have turned down if he had simply waited. You KNOW Daryl would have met up with him.

I agree that this would have been best, but Merle has been shown as a "my way, when I want it and how I want it" kind of guy. If he had it in his mind that they were going to drive him to Daryl, then nothing short of Glenn shooting Merle would have deterred him.

meetyzombie

meetyzombie

Lurker

• Members
I was thinking that Merle is already doing a bit of soul-searching ever since the had the discussion about their childhood, the beatings and how Merle left Daryl.

I don't think the others will get a chance to kill Merle. Remember Rick said to Daryl, if Merle gets out of line, its on Daryl. I think Darylcares about his brother, but he cares enough about the group(second family) that if Merle does anything I think Darle will put him in his place. I find this especially true after the car on the bridge incident.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I was thinking that Merle is already doing a bit of soul-searching ever since the had the discussion about their childhood, the beatings and how Merle left Daryl.

I don't think the others will get a chance to kill Merle. Remember Rick said to Daryl, if Merle gets out of line, its on Daryl. I think Darylcares about his brother, but he cares enough about the group(second family) that if Merle does anything I think Darle will put him in his place. I find this especially true after the car on the bridge incident.

When Rick told Daryl, "it's on you", I took that as him acknowledging that Merle was now a member of the group, but one on probationary status. At least, he is on probationary status until the much larger problems are dealt with. I also think Rick trusts Daryl enough to allow Merle to stay. Rick knows Daryl won't let harm befall the group, so he made him Merle's watchdog.

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio

How can anyone that would stab you in the back in a blink of an eye be an asset? How could you fight in a battle while trying to keep one eye on Merle? How does the group know he is giving accurate information about what's going on in Woodbury? Hershel said Merle in a soldier and right now they need him. HERSHEL, YOU MORON, MERLE KIDNAPPED YOUR DAUGHTER AND SHE WAS FORCES TO GET NAKED FOR HIS BOSS!!! I wouldn't trust his ass. Soldier or not.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

At this moment in time its a double edged sword. Can the group trust Merle? Probably not at this point no but they need him for his knowledge of woodbury and for the man power for the impending war. He also has no where else to go at this point and he knows that. You cannot survive out there on your own. He probably figures he needs to clean up his act while he stays at the prison because he has no other option available. Thats why I believe he was trying to make amends with Michonne because he has to walk that fine line. Now for the other half of the sword. Rick knows if he boots Merle out that Daryl is going with his brother. Yeah he came back to the prison but a brothers loyalty right or wrong is strong. Rick is doing that for Daryl and thats the bottom line there. In the end Merle has no choice but to change because thats the only option he has left. I also personally feel like he has turned around just a bit. Just enough to notice and thats exactly how Daryl started out as well.

Akhet

Akhet

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMonroeville Mall

FYI - if you watched last night's episode, you have to realize that if they want Daryl to stay, they are going to have to try and co-exist with Merle! BOTTOM LINE! You can't get one w/o the other........I would love to see them try and kill him and Daryl not think it was them! What is Daryl dumb! They have been threatening his life for several episodes, including last night, and Daryl has heard pretty much all of it! No way they could kill him and not piss Daryl off big time! Just like the prison group, you and other Merle haters are going to have to deal with it, at least for now? Not sure how long he can last w/o messing a good thing up?

Daryls not dumb but neither is Glen and Michonne.
I dont think they are going to try anything, and I think you're right, we are stuck with him for the time being. All Im saying is they could try. And could probably pull it off. Accidents happen, people get shot in gun fights. Daryl has allot of skills, but ballistic expert isn't one of them.
Just sayin.

limaro

limaro

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio, US
Most interesting character and actor on the show right now.
I love the potential with him for an amazing redemption story. I stand by my early prediction of a noble self sacrificing end.
It takes a lot of imagination, a lot of faith in the writers, and a little bit of squinting, so I understand why most don't agree with me, though.

The Merle hatred amuses me. Remember the Lori hatred at the end of last season? I was guilty of it too. I'd have never believed I would be crying over her death scene in season 3.

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
― Stephen King, The Stand

Zen_Master

Zen_Master

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia
while i hate the murdering, racist Merle with a passion, i was kind of touched by his expression of shock at seeing the whipping welt-marks on his younger brother's back, and you could see the pain of his realization that he left home to avoid the horrible father, only to leave his brother to that same fate. good acting on the part of Michael Rooker. that said, i hope he goes out with a redemptive bang, in a herd of walkers. grrrrrrrr

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

The Governor never told him to kidnap Glenn & Maggie. He should have stayed put and waited at the abandoned shops for Daryl like Glenn suggested. Any inkling of humor I felt for Merle was gone when he kidnapped a couple trying to find baby formula. Imagine the road the story would have turned down if he had simply waited. You KNOW Daryl would have met up with him.

You're absolutely right. But the "logical" procedure wouldn't have resulted in the need for Rick's group to attack WB.

This season, for me, has produced some completely unrealistic actions from our main characters.

Michonne not spilling her guts to Andrea about her suspicions?
Andrea being so dense that seeing dead Penny and zombie heads didn't set off a kazillion red flags?
Michonne not spilling her guts (on screen) to Rick's group?
Maggie not telling Andrea about TG's assault on her? Did she do it "off" screen?"
And Rick's hallucinations are mind-numbing.

Mazzara asked us to believe all this. Apparently in his need to push through this season, he manipulated the characters to fit into his war plans. Didn't work for me. I'm left with WTF?

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon
I'd love to just see a show about Merle and Daryl to be honest.

It would be a combo of Henry, texas chain saw massacre and every classic zombie flick.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
I don't see how the heck people can like Merle after what he did not even two episodes ago. Since they're letting him stay at the prison he should be locked up in a cell.

Did you forget about Michonne, Glenn, Andrea, Maggie, the Hispanic family, TDog, Rick?

The fact that Michonne, Glenn and Maggie have become accustomed to him so quickly is so unrealistic. Especially Glenn seeing as he's been going on rampages recently.

Merle is an awful man and IMO he is not a redeemable character.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I don't see how the heck people can like Merle after what he did not even two episodes ago. Since they're letting him stay at the prison he should be locked up in a cell.

Did you forget about Michonne, Glenn, Andrea, Maggie, the Hispanic family, TDog, Rick?

The fact that Michonne, Glenn and Maggie have become accustomed to him so quickly is so unrealistic. Especially Glenn seeing as he's been going on rampages recently.
Merle is an awful man and IMO he is not a redeemable character.

Well, Merle is a dick, but in some of those situations, the "victims" were not entirely innocent. T-Dog was the one who escalated the rooftop kerfuffle into violence. Merle didn't really do anything to Maggie besides kidnap her and hold her at gunpoint (something our heroes have done numerous times). And my memory might be off, but has he really done anything to Andrea besides call her a few lewd names?

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
The look on Michonne's face while Merle is trying to talk to her demonstrates that she is NOT accustomed to him. Neither is Glenn. They are biding their time. Yes, it is a stretch to think they are capable of that kind of self-control or that Rick has that much power over them but that's what the writers are asking us to believe.

I honestly don't know what they will do with Merle. I think Vadering him is too predictable (I love that we've turned Vader in a verb, btw! The English language is awesome because it is so flexible!) but I can't see him discovering his humanity and staying with RIck and Co. either. I do know that I hate the character and love the actor's portrayal of him. Rooker really is fantastic.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I do know that I hate the character and love the actor's portrayal of him. Rooker really is fantastic.

This. Let it never be said that Michael Rooker has done anything but magic with his character. He has absolutely knocked this role out of the park.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

Don't mind his hatred and his racism, or the fact that he tried to kill Glenn and Michonne.
He quoted the bible. That means he's a good person.

Sounded like the BTK Killer read from the Bible too. I wouldn't use that as any kind of barometer.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

Sounded like the BTK Killer read from the Bible too. I wouldn't use that as any kind of barometer.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I, in no way, think that Merle being able to quote the Bible makes him a good person. Many here have argued that he is unintelligent, and him being able to read and understand scripture speaks against that.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
I think ThugNasty was being sarcastic about quoting the Bible making him a good person.

Hitler claimed to be Christian, does that make him a good person?

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I think ThugNasty was being sarcastic about quoting the Bible making him a good person.

Hitler claimed to be Christian, does that make him a good person?

Well, I am not sure who you are responding to, but if it's me: No, I do not think that made Hitler good, just as I don't think it makes Merle good.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas
I don't know that I'll ever be able to say that I "like" Merle, but Rooker has certainly seen to it that I'm riveted and fascinated by him.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
The writers have given us a puzzler on Merle. Some have suggested he had a lot of reading time in prison. This might be true. Was he searching for something he never found? Just have to wonder what the writers were going for by having him quote scripture.

Some have suggested the verse may have stuck in his mind because of his hand. But he still had his hand when he was in prison. So, unless he's known the Bible all along, he's only had the time since TG found him. I'm thinking he learned as a child and later rejected it. It takes a while to get through the Bible. And he spoke of TG's library, so he's been reading other things.

Okay, so MY conclusion is: I think his father used the Bible to control Merle and justified the beatings as in "spare the rod, spoil the child."

Of course, there's always a chance the quote means nothing, like so much of the dialogue on this season. And we'll never hear another thing about it.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
to paraphrase an earlier statement, if people think your an a$$hole and you want to join their group do what merle did wait til a walker is a ttacking the groups leader then shove a crowbar into the walkers ear. Probably works everytime.

There is one thing I had not seen anyone mention. It goes back to "Home" and the scars on Daryl's back. Prior to Merle seeing the scars I think Merle acted like Daryl owed him something. Like Merle was tougher than Daryl, Daryl was still Merle's stupid kid brother. After seeing the scars Merle realized he didn't save his brother and that Daryl is just as much a man because he put up with the same $hit Merle did. It was right then when Merle stoped trying to lead and actually followed Daryl (literally and figuratively).

IMO Merle always thought he was better than everyone else. Partly because of the sacrafices he made as a child tro save his brother. Now that he learned he never saved Daryl but rather abandond him Murle may be more humble.

Having said all that he is still just a hired gun and the writers are going to have to work preatty hard to make me miss him if/when he dies.

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members
  • LocationChi-Raq,Drill-inois

to paraphrase an earlier statement, if people think your an a$$hole and you want to join their group do what merle did wait til a walker is a ttacking the groups leader then shove a crowbar into the walkers ear. Probably works everytime.

There is one thing I had not seen anyone mention. It goes back to "Home" and the scars on Daryl's back. Prior to Merle seeing the scars I think Merle acted like Daryl owed him something. Like Merle was tougher than Daryl, Daryl was still Merle's stupid kid brother. After seeing the scars Merle realized he didn't save his brother and that Daryl is just as much a man because he put up with the same $hit Merle did. It was right then when Merle stoped trying to lead and actually followed Daryl (literally and figuratively).

IMO Merle always thought he was better than everyone else. Partly because of the sacrafices he made as a child tro save his brother. Now that he learned he never saved Daryl but rather abandond him Murle may be more humble.

Having said all that he is still just a hired gun and the writers are going to have to work preatty hard to make me miss him if/when he dies.

What if he was to sacrifice himself somehow for one of the group, say, little asskicker? :2206_mourning_over_dead_friend:

~(Talking Dead's Chris Hardwick on Andrea & the Gov.) - "Now we know why they call it Wood-bury. HEY-OH!"~

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

What if he was to sacrifice himself somehow for one of the group, say, little asskicker? :2206_mourning_over_dead_friend:

possibly, I find my self quick to forgive in the post-apocalypse

SkeezyMak

SkeezyMak

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDelaware, USA
Merle the character is a dick, but the actor is great, some of his perv/racist lines make me crack up.. maybe I'm a sick, sick man.

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members
  • LocationChi-Raq,Drill-inois
(Bump!!)

possibly, I find my self quick to forgive in the post-apocalypse

Spoiler

~(Talking Dead's Chris Hardwick on Andrea & the Gov.) - "Now we know why they call it Wood-bury. HEY-OH!"~

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
Merle....
Spoiler

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!