Taking A Liking To Merle

merle not dick anymore

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members
  • LocationChi-Raq,Drill-inois
Seeing Merle side by side with the group again felt different. This time he wasn't making bigoted, shithead remarks every 10 seconds. When Andrea came to the prison, Merle was doing what the whole group was always used to doing: being an added asset that contributes to the whole.

During the scene where he was locked up in a cell in the prison, and Hershel moseyed on in, Merle was actually mentioning plausible and noteworthy points about the Governor and how he works. Another sign of how he's being genuinely cooperative and not just for his own benefit :angel: (as far as we know :rolleyes:)

To me it seems like he's just happy to be with his little bro again, and the antics he was up to at Woodbury was him acting out from a lack of direction, I mean, he did basically feel like the group ousted him, and resorted to self-mutilation at the expense of living.

He 'failed' his role at Woodbury. Time to see him step up to the plate and make the last stand with the group against Woodbury, however that works out.

Thoughts?

p.s. - Beth's singing @ the end: :zombiethumbsup:

~(Talking Dead's Chris Hardwick on Andrea & the Gov.) - "Now we know why they call it Wood-bury. HEY-OH!"~

Jaybird

Jaybird

Infected

• Members
He has no choice... he has to contribute and keep the hate to a minimum to remain with his brother and at the prison... as soon as he acted like old merle he'd be gone

I agree though, I've always liked the actor, so when he acts like he did today made me actually like him a bit.

zomnipotent

zomnipotent

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationomnipresent
I've said it a couple times in other threads. but I thoroughly enjoy watching Michael Rooker. I am pulling for him also, hee recognizes the value of being part of the group, even if it is just to survive. I thought that conversation with Herschel was telling. not sure he's genuine yet but who knows
IMG 2014033148576

twd85

twd85

Infected

• Members
  • LocationThe Governor's Missing Eye

He has no choice... he has to contribute and keep the hate to a minimum to remain with his brother and at the prison... as soon as he acted like old merle he'd be gone

I agree though, I've always liked the actor, so when he acts like he did today made me actually like him a bit.

I agree with this. It was nice seeing another side of him.

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members

I've said it a couple times in other threads. but I thoroughly enjoy watching Michael Rooker. I am pulling for him also, hee recognizes the value of being part of the group, even if it is just to survive. I thought that conversation with Herschel was telling. not sure he's genuine yet but who knows

I thought about this too of course, but I'm rooting for him. Even if it's true that "as soon as he acted like old Merle he'd be gone", I believe he's genuine. In a strange sort of way, I sort of like seeing the Dixon brothers in action, together, and loving one another. Blood is thicker than water, I say.

~(Talking Dead's Chris Hardwick on Andrea & the Gov.) - "Now we know why they call it Wood-bury. HEY-OH!"~

zomnipotent

zomnipotent

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationomnipresent
I get the sense they are going to put Merle in a situation where he may be forced into a tough decision, and he could end up doing the right thing with fatal consequences. saving the baby perhaps. btw love the name OP!
IMG 2014033148576

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
I'm on board with the new and improved Merle.

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members
^Thanks :jasonani:

Stumpled upon a very valid point in the new episode's thread---

Rick won't let Tyreese, Sasha, Ben and Allen stay, yet he'll let a crazy racist who almost got Michonne, Glenn, and Maggie stay and become a part of the group?

:smiley-confused002: Well, since you put it that way...

Timbersnake

Timbersnake

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationColumbia Tn

Seeing Merle side by side with the group again felt different. This time he wasn't making bigoted, shithead remarks every 10 seconds. When Andrea came to the prison, Merle was doing what the whole group was always used to doing: being an added asset that contributes to the whole.

During the scene where he was locked up in a cell in the prison, and Hershel moseyed on in, Merle was actually mentioning plausible and noteworthy points about the Governor and how he works. Another sign of how he's being genuinely cooperative and not just for his own benefit :angel: (as far as we know :rolleyes:)

To me it seems like he's just happy to be with his little bro again, and the antics he was up to at Woodbury was him acting out from a lack of direction, I mean, he did basically feel like the group ousted him, and resorted to self-mutilation at the expense of living.

He 'failed' his role at Woodbury. Time to see him step up to the plate and make the last stand with the group against Woodbury, however that works out.

Thoughts?

p.s. - Beth's singing @ the end: :zombiethumbsup:

Dont forget about the Bible quotes and library loving.

Timbersnake

Timbersnake

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationColumbia Tn

^Thanks :jasonani:

Stumpled upon a very valid point in the new episode's thread---

[/size]

I think the fact that Merle helped save him from the walkers had a lot to do with it. ALso, he knows they need Daryl.

:smiley-confused002: Well, since you put it that way...

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members

I think the fact that Merle helped save him from the walkers had a lot to do with it. ALso, he knows they need Daryl.

That may be a contributing factor, yes. Like I said, seeing the Dixon's come in as the cavalry during the last episode was nothing short of extremely timely and epic.

Akhet

Akhet

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMonroeville Mall
I hope they kill him in his sleep. Screw that. I like Michael Rooker, he is a good actor and he is doing his thing. But Merle Dixen needs to die. There is no way any of the non white people at the prison would sleep easy with him around, no matter how helpful he was at defending the walls. He might make them safer from attacks from the outside but he is a treat on the inside.
After what he did to loss his arm?
After what he did to Glen?
No way rick and Daryl should expect others to trust him.
and the others should be plotting on a way to kill him without losing Daryl. Poison? Friendly fire at the next gun fight? Something.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
Anyone who is liking merle already is a real push over.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members
Merle is a character that I love to hate! He is a racist bastard that would kill you to save his own ass, but I enjoy the character just the same. He provides a bit of humor and a nice foil to Daryl's character.

At this point the group needs Merle. He has inside info on Woodbury, he keeps Daryl around, and honestly they need the muscle.

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members
I like his change of pace, per se. Not him as a person.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
No one likes Merle's racist, misogynistic, asshole tendencies but a lot of folks here don't appreciate any assets he brings to a group. He wasn't TG's lieutenant b/c he was an incompetent slob. And people of all colors slept just fine in WB when he resided there. Same could happen at the prison. People justifiably despise Merle's character, or lack thereof but this is the ZA and you have to consider manpower not just PC notions that we are privy to in the real world.

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members

No one likes Merle's racist, misogynistic, asshole tendencies but a lot of folks here don't appreciate any assets he brings to a group. He wasn't TG's lieutenant b/c he was an incompetent slob. And people of all colors slept just fine in WB when he resided there. Same could happen at the prison. People justifiably despise Merle's character, or lack thereof but this is the ZA and you have to consider manpower not just PC notions that we are privy to in the real world.

Couldnt've said it better myself. He's an asset that they can't afford to lose at this point. Just like Daryl.
Though, I have a feeling that someone from the group's going to kill him....

*cough*Glenn/Michonne*cough*

Akhet

Akhet

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMonroeville Mall

You dont know what anyone in woodbary would feel. You dont know if they knew him like us, the viewers do, and if they did if they slept comfortably.
If they knew him like we do, I can guarantee you they did not sleep comfortably ZA or not. People who hate you having power over you dosnt make for a good lullaby.
Its not about pc. Its about survival. A violent person who hates you for something you cant change is a threat to your survival. Plain and simple. In the real world its a problem you avoid whenever possible. In a lawless wasteland its a threat you put down instantly.

Dylan

Dylan

Infected

• Members
I've always loved Merle, since he was first introduced in the first season.
'That vase - that's something special. 'Fess up. You steal that from your Grandma Jean's house? I hope you left her that spoon collection." -Rick Grimes

ThugNasty

ThugNasty

Infected

• Members

Dont forget about the Bible quotes and library loving.

Don't mind his hatred and his racism, or the fact that he tried to kill Glenn and Michonne.
He quoted the bible. That means he's a good person.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes

Don't mind his hatred and his racism, or the fact that he tried to kill Glenn and Michonne.
He quoted the bible. That means he's a good person.

Seriously.

Merle is a piece of shit who played nice for the Governor when he was in Woodbury and is now playing nice for Rick at the prison for his own convenience. And he's not even man enough to own up. He knew the people at the prison would turn him away, jail him, or even kill him, but he still pussied out and instead of going off on his own, he followed Daryl to the prison because he knows he's shit by himself. He can't hunt and has no sense of direction, so he knows he needs other people and he just plays everyone. He's just as happy being The Governor's bitch as he is being Rick's bitch and if the Governor asked him to shoot Judith, he would.

Love Michael Rooker. But Merle is the worst person.

zomnipotent

zomnipotent

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationomnipresent
I don't think anyone is saying that they want Merle to be their best man at their wedding. it's about redemption. being able to change, IT'S A TV SHOW, not real life, would I be friends with a guy like Merle in my life,? absolutely not. But, I can't stand bad acting, and when I watch a show I like good acting, so when I see someone own a character the way Michael Rooker has, I find it refreshing. IMO people appreciate those who can see the folly of their ways, and actively make a change for the better. like I said earlier I don't see him there yet, but it's trending that way. I think many would like to see that out of Andrea, and the woman who plays her, dont even know her name, that's how underwhelming I find her
IMG 2014033148576

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I've always liked Merle. He's one of my favorites as a matter of fact. Maybe its Michael Rooker that I like and I'm just liking his character because of him but I can see him turning face and being an asset to the group. I hope he progresses more and more

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
How can anyone that would stab you in the back in a blink of an eye be an asset? How could you fight in a battle while trying to keep one eye on Merle? How does the group know he is giving accurate information about what's going on in Woodbury? Hershel said Merle in a soldier and right now they need him. HERSHEL, YOU MORON, MERLE KIDNAPPED YOUR DAUGHTER AND SHE WAS FORCES TO GET NAKED FOR HIS BOSS!!! I wouldn't trust his ass. Soldier or not.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
I was absolutely thrilled that Merle found control over his mouth. Could it be that all the disrespectful bluster is covering an insecure man? And he not only read scripture - he quoted it? Library? Merle? Suddenly, this ignorant thug has higher intelligence than the gorilla he's portrayed up until now? Whatever. Keep it coming. lol. Perhaps I can watch the remainder of his existence without feeling my stomach sour.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!