The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 11 - I Ain’T A Judas - Review

rick the governor daryl merle andrea the prison woodbury the walking dead season 3

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 11 "I Ain't a Judas" (204 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (68 [33.33%] - )

33.33%

2. Good - Some Critiques (87 [42.65%] - )

42.65%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (41 [20.10%] - )

20.10%

4. Poor (8 [3.92%] - )

3.92%

TheWalkingStoner

TheWalkingStoner

Infected

• Members
  • LocationChi-Raq,Drill-inois

Decent episode...

Not thrilled Tyreese is in Woodbury, so they better have a damn good reason, like he is going to hold a light in Andrea's face. She obviously needs help seeing it. Maybe he will be the voice of reason and succeed where Michonne failed.

I hope tyrese ends up being a traitor to the governor.

~(Talking Dead's Chris Hardwick on Andrea & the Gov.) - "Now we know why they call it Wood-bury. HEY-OH!"~

twd85

twd85

Infected

• Members
  • LocationThe Governor's Missing Eye

I hope tyrese ends up being a traitor to the governor.

And I hope Tyreese doesn't die in the season finale

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Decent episode...

Not thrilled Tyreese is in Woodbury, so they better have a damn good reason, like he is going to hold a light in Andrea's face. She obviously needs help seeing it. Maybe he will be the voice of reason and succeed where Michonne failed.

I don't see Andrea and Tyreese staying there very long. My guess that Andrea and Tyreese will lead a group out of there when the governor turns the place into a police state.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan
And with all that discussion, Andrea still doesn't know that TG assaulted Maggie. I just watched again and no one told her. They told her that TG kidnapped them. To which, Andrea blamed Merle. That was the perfect time for Glenn or Maggie to tell her about the assault, but neither did. So, Andrea still doesn't know the complete story.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
Do you think that the Guv accepting Andrea back into Woodbury (and his bed) is just a case of "Keep your enemies closer"?
He initially told her to stay at the prison if she went there. You'd think he be sleeping with one eye open (literally).

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
I thought it was a good episode. A few things:
- Disappointed that Tyreese would be OK siding with the Guv against Rick and his group. Maybe he might feel that way about Rick, but he knows the rest of them are alright. Would you really war against the living, kill the rest of them, just for Rick? Sure, he seemed nuts. So kill him? Hmm.

- Appreciated Andrea's point of view more in this episode. Was a little bit sad at the way she was treated, especially when all they had heard about her and the Guv was from Merle. They should have asked for her POV before treating her like trash, but I do get that in "these crazy days" and with all they have experienced, they are going to be on edge. I was happy that Rick seemed sincere when he said goodbye and be careful. I especially felt for Andrea at the very end; I get her inability to kill the Governor. Killing a living, breathing someone - who you have been sleeping with - while they sleep is a long ways from shooting people that are shooting at you or walkers that will eat you. I don't blame her for not killing him right there. But I think she knows what he is now.

- Liked hearing Michonne speak a little more this episode. I find her very likeable when she opens her mouth..I hope she learns to do it more often!

- Really enjoyed the little talk between Daryl and Carol, as usual. I wish there had been more of a reunion scene, but, ah well. Even if no actual romance ever comes out of this relationship, they do have a lovely friendship.

- I thought Beth's singing was fine. She has a beautiful voice, and it didn't seem to terribly out of place for her to sing a bit while they sit there together.

- I understand Rick leaving Daryl at the prison. I don't think it means anything negative for Daryl, or for their relationship. Now, more than ever, Rick needs to leave someone capable in charge when he leaves. He needs to really test Michonne before her loyalty is truly needed when the Guv shows up. And someone who can handle Merle needs to stay with him and make sure he doesn't try to take over leadership like he did in 1x02.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, there was some much-needed discussion. The stage is set!

EDIT - I forgot about Merle/Hershel! That was a good chat. I sure don't trust Merle, but I think even he likes Hershel. Who wouldn't? At least Merle owned up to not being proud of some of his actions. Now he just has to own up to not being proud of ANY of his actions. ;)

DANG! Another thing I forgot: I got all sad and worried looking at our forlorn little group as Andrea drove away, it was kind of a moving/pathetic scene...it just became so clear to me how few there are and how many they are up against. I just don't want to lose anyone else!

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan
Rick left Daryl because Carl asked him to let Daryl and Hershel handle things. Rick listened to his son.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Rick left Daryl because Carl asked him to let Daryl and Hershel handle things. Rick listened to his son.

Excellent point and good observation.

Nobody really takes a vacation in the zombie apocalypse, but I'm wondering if this is something like a vacation (or as close as he's ever gonna get under the circumstances).

And he grabbed the only chick in his age bracket to take along lol.

Andrew Lincoln and I are the same age I think that's what I would have done in his shoes... go on vacation with a hot babe with a Katana what's the worst that could happen?

Oh yeah- you could lose you head hahah

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Shambo

Shambo

S-mart Employee

• Members
Anyone else hoping for a Mrs. McCloud and Michonne showdown at the finale? That'll be one for the books. :rabbit:

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
Even though this episode had a slower pace I liked it.
My only complain is that after watching it I feel like it didn't achieve much at all for the prison group.
The front yard of the prison is still filled with walkers, the group didn't go for more weapons and ammunition, no shooting practice. The only plan they have was Carol's which apparently didn't work since Andrea didn't want to kill the gov.
I feel like them just sitting there with snipers guarding the prison is not preparing for war at all.

Meanwhile at the prison they are raising an army, improving their defenses and now they have another 4 fighters on Tyreese group.

I enjoyed Merle Hershel scene, it felt like they understand each other.
Im just a bit worried about Glenn and Daryl. I like them both, I don't want them to fight because of Merle.

The Dowager Walker

The Dowager Walker

Infected

• Members
I enjoyed seeing a different dimension from Michonne, even if it was brief. Her character felt like little beyond angry stares since she was introduced. With Tyreese's group, I can't say I blame them and I don't see it as them turning on the prison group but just a survival tactic. They don't have owe loyalty to the prison group, and even if everyone but Rick seemed ok, from Tyreese's perspective the group is choosing to follow someone who's unhinged - that's kind of suspect in itself.

On a side note, I'd watch a spin-off show with nothing but Milton awkwardly interacting with everyone he meets.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
The main highlights of the episode for me:

1. The ending with Rick's conversation with Darryl about Carl being ready and getting to trust Michonne.

2. The scene with Merleand Hershel was nice. It's nice to see him acting serious instead of being a dick all the time.

The weakest moments of the episode:

1. Tyreese's camp siding with Woodbury. It just doesn't seem right having them there. The whole Tyreese and his daughter siding with Rick and the other two sticking with the Governor seems fairly obvious so I hope that doesn't happen.

2. Andrea little situation at the end. I'm sorry but Andrea's little arc is stupid and she has no reason to love the Governor. At least Rick has a reason for being a little crazy, Andrea's just being a dumbass and there is no way to justify her actions.

Random notes: When it's time for Merle to die, I think it'll be by suicide because of the whole not being accepted by anyone issue. Or he'll do something stupid, and Darryl will get tired of him and shoot him with no remorse.

I'm really worried if they'll kill the baby. How will they have a baby die in the show, and how will the group deal with the aftermath. We've already seen Rick go through it once, we don't need it again. Not to sound harsh, but they should've killed the baby along with Lori.

earthWake

earthWake

Infected

• Members
  • LocationPennsylvania

The only gripe I have with this episode is how fast Merle has become a part of the group.

Them taking him into the prison is already a stretch. He should be locked up in a cell.

Rick won't let Tyreese, Sasha, Ben and Allen stay, yet he'll let a crazy racist who almost got Michonne, Glenn, and Maggie killed stay and become a part of the group?

It doesn't make sense. Yes he is Daryl's brother but he has proved to be extremely untrustworthy.

If Tyrese or any of his group were RELATED to a member already ingrained in the group they would obviously have stayed.

Daryl is family to rick, and if he wants Daryl to stay Merle will too.

spleenex

spleenex

Infected

• Members
  • LocationTexas
Can I just say I loved Carol in this episode? I agree with what everyone else was saying, she had some great scenes tonight. When she suggested her plan to Andrea...wow. She's ten times more cool than season 1 Carol.
Also,

Random note: When it's time for Merle to die, I think it'll be by suicide because of the whole not being accepted by anyone issue. Or he'll do something stupid, and Darryl will get tired of him and shoot him with no remorse.

this makes a lot of sense! Didn't Daryl say that the only thing that could kill Merle was Merle?

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?

Very good episode! Let's see here:

The Merle/Hershel scene was absolute gold.

Carol was bad-ass, being so nonchalant about murder sex. Her material in this back-half has been stellar, and I can only hope it gets even better. The confrontation between her and Merle is clearly building up too, which'll be awesome to watch.

Andrea (not surprisingly) is no less intolerable than she's been with the previous episodes. Bitch, just die already and spare me any further headaches.

Milton's getting a lot more likable though (Dallas Roberts really brings a lot to the role). It's a shame the writers will most likely whack him by the end of the season :(

Total agreement, Herschel and Merle's talk shows what some good actors can do with some decent lines and some proper drama and the feeling comes out. Instead I am still forced to have far too much screen time of a clueless Andrea/Lori Holden hamming through her scenes.

Jesus they are pulling out all the stops to do anything to give her some traction, being naked...wow how empowering and important for her as a female character. Was that so critical to the story line??? Totally not and I find myself mortified as a male that the shadow of a female naked ass is enough for folks to foam over about how cool Andrea is. She sucks, seriously SUCKS, she is like Ambien in every scene, I just wanted to sleep through it.

At least Michonne showed some life, her work in the episode was pretty decent, she felt very much akin to the comic Michonne.

This was a fair episode at best, it meandered and didn't advance the story hardly at all.

And Michael Rooker as Merle, was awesome, he has been given so little time and lines, but in just a few episodes you sense a depth to his character so tragically obviously missing in Andrea.

I sincerely hope the next show runner is given the opportunity to winnow the wheat from the chaff and terminate the contracts of a number of the actors/actresses/writers who are dragging this show down.

Reavesfilm

Reavesfilm

Infected

• Members
  • LocationLos Angeles
Hello everyone! New to the forum, but I've been reading & watching since day one of both the comic and the show, so I hope I can be a productive member of the forum!

Anyway, enough of that crappy intro, I'd have to say the episode was pretty crappy solely based on the fact that Tyreese is joining the TG :/ And you'd think after Carol (probably the most level-headed of the group) telling Andrea about how bad TG is, she'd freaking listen!

So that's my two cents!

"I believe in Rick Grimes."

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?

And with all that discussion, Andrea still doesn't know that TG assaulted Maggie. I just watched again and no one told her. They told her that TG kidnapped them. To which, Andrea blamed Merle. That was the perfect time for Glenn or Maggie to tell her about the assault, but neither did. So, Andrea still doesn't know the complete story.

With all due respect, Andrea wouldn't give a shit one way or the other. Andrea's list of priorities includes only one thing, what makes Andrea happy and comfortable. She gets to bang the Guv, be a complete bitch to everyone, have a hot shower, and then drinks at the BBQ. Andrea in the end will be firing at Rick and company, it's sad but if you really look at her motivations she is a bigger POS then Merle. Michonne hit it dead on, "You gave up a friend for a warm bed." Andrea is a Quisling, or a buddy fucker as we called them in the army, let's stop trying to assign her some kind of sainthood while abandoning the folks who saved her ass since the ZA started.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members

Can I just say I loved Carol in this episode? I agree with what everyone else was saying, she had some great scenes tonight. When she suggested her plan to Andrea...wow. She's ten times more cool than season 1 Carol.
Also,

this makes a lot of sense! Didn't Daryl say that the only thing that could kill Merle was Merle?

I liked Carol in this episode also. I think she's slowly becoming like her comic counterpoint, even though she's older. And I don't remember if Darryl said it or not, but I don't see what else can happen with Darryl and Merle now.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
I was fine with everything Andrea was going through up to this point. I'm really curious to see how this all plays out with her now that she didn't stab him..

It's so weird to see Tyreese with the Governor. I think that him and Sasha will join back up with the prison group and Allen and Ben will die with woodbury people.

Anyone else feel like Carol is a goner? She's had soo many lines lately... season finale death awaits her I'm afraid.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationColchester, England.
Good episode!

Had some cool moments, It was good to see Andrea meet back up with the group, I thought this could have played out and tiny bit better and longer, I mean, in a sense they were best friends / family and the show has been building to this for 10 episodes in a sense, but it was still good!

Will be interesting to see what will happen with Tyreese's group!

Next weeks episode looks like it will be great but I'll give last nights episode a good 8/10.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Warning: I'm drunk. And I'm a bitter drunk, but oddly eloquent.

The best thing about this episode? Mazzara has been fired and he won't get the chance to butcher another character, ever again.

So far he's ruined Michonne, Andrea, Tyreese, Allen, and Glenn for me. Next week we'll probably see Judith try to murder Carol, or something. I also don't get why he feels we'd give two shits about the people of Woodbury. If Milton or Karen were to die a horrific death next week, I wouldn't even blink. Milton used to have potential for me, but now I see he's just a clean dressed bitch. He's not even smart. All Karen does is whine. Just because the people of Woodbury have lines doesn't mean we're attached to them and care about them. The citizens of Woodbury are a complete waste of time. All we need is The Governor and Martinez. Everyone else should just be Central Casting employees.

Most of the writing doesn't even make sense or is just pointless. I don't care how many fighters are left in Woodbury. Just cut straight to Andrea confronting the Governor and her going off to the prison. Everything in between was a complete waste of time. Milton/Andrea scenes and Milton/Governor scenes. Noah. Fucking Karen. Total filler. Woodbury is like the paper tissue stuffing in a 14 year old girl's bra. Congratulations on your close up, arthritic lady, but I care about you so little that during your scene I checked out my Tumblr dash.

Andrea's visit to the prison should've lasted longer. She should've stayed there several days. SHE SHOULD'VE talked to Maggie and found out what the Governor tried to do to her. She should've called Michonne out on keeping secrets. She should've interacted more with Rick. I didn't need to see Andrea holding Judith. I needed to see Andrea sit down with Rick and put everything out on the table and clear the air, and maybe even make a plan. After all, Rick is the leader of the prison and Andrea is the leader of Woodbury. Why didn't anyone go, "hey, we're both leading these two groups, and we both have an enemy in common: The Governor. Let's just join forces and take him out and boom, happily ever after." How did that not happen?

Andrea clearly seduced the Governor to try to kill him. As per Carol, CAROL's, suggestion. Why didn't Rick try to sit down with Andrea and clear the air? Obviously Rick realized Andrea was being conned by the Governor, therefore his gentle treatment of her later on. But why wasn't Rick smart enough to see that he could've used Andrea as The Queen in this chess game and sit down with her and figure out where to move her? This plotline should've taken at least two episodes (at LEAST), it should've been more complex. How long was Andrea there, anyway? A minute? It was like she just showed up to deliver a pizza, collect her tip, and then leave.

The writing is so off that most of the fandom didn't get the fact that Andrea only slept with the Governor again because she was trying out Carol's plan. People seem to think that Andrea slept with the Governor again because she was back to Team Woodbury, when it was really obvious that Andrea was becoming a Mata Hari. Here's how easily, and quickly, that confusion could've been avoided:

Instead of all that Woodbury nonsense, the writers could've written a scene in which Andrea confesses once again to Rick that she didn't know what was going on and asks for his understanding. Rick sees that she's being honest and drops all hostility and realizes Andrea is still one of them. Andrea then mentions Carol's plan to Rick. She confesses she's never killed a person and she doesn't think she could, but she feels like she HAS to. Rick sympathizes with her struggles because he realizes Andrea killing the Governor would break her like him killing Shane did. So he tells her she doesn't have to kill the Governor for them, to just go back and lay low, stay tight, and he'll figure it out. Reassuring Andrea and giving her this advice and making her feel safe makes Rick feel confident, he starts to come out of his insanity, and Rick the leader starts to emerge yet again.

Instead there's music and Andrea just looks at everyone and everyone looks constipated and then she drives off.

This season is awful. Just because the fans asked for a faster pace doesn't mean you have to sacrifice character integrity. There's something really off about the priorities of Mazzara's writing. Loved Darabont. Reluctantly looking forward to Gimple. But these scripts, Christ. Awfulness. I was okay with Beth's singing in episode one because they'd found a place of peace and the moment called for it. But in this episode it seemed like a waste of time. At this point in the game we don't need to hear some singing. We need to see characters sit down and get to business. Glenn's line to Andrea: "that was days ago." Really? DAYS ago and the only character who yells at them to stop bitching and come up with a plan is BETH?

There's just no consistency when it comes to the characters. They keep changing in every episode. I'm so outraged about Tyreese I can't even think straight. I hate, HATE, the fact that Merle is back and walking round the prison when two episodes ago he was trying to kill Glenn and Michonne, and knew about the Governor trying to rape Maggie AND LET IT HAPPEN. But suddenly Daryl says Merle stays and Glenn and Michonne just fold? Murderer Merle who didn't care about Maggie being raped? Seriously? Is the Dixon pandering that severe?

The only character I feel has stayed consistent is Hershel. Bless him. He's quickly becoming my favorite. Everyone else... ugh, Mazzara. Just... ugh.

TheTalkingZombie

TheTalkingZombie

S-mart Employee

• Members
I liked this episode very much.

Most favorite moment - Andrea telling Carol that Rick had become cold only to hear moments later Carol trying to pimp her(Andrea) into murdering the Governor.

zomnipotent

zomnipotent

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationomnipresent

Total agreement, Herschel and Merle's talk shows what some good actors can do with some decent lines and some proper drama and the feeling comes out. Instead I am still forced to have far too much screen time of a clueless Andrea/Lori Holden hamming through her scenes.

Jesus they are pulling out all the stops to do anything to give her some traction, being naked...wow how empowering and important for her as a female character. Was that so critical to the story line??? Totally not and I find myself mortified as a male that the shadow of a female naked ass is enough for folks to foam over about how cool Andrea is. She sucks, seriously SUCKS, she is like Ambien in every scene, I just wanted to sleep through it.

At least Michonne showed some life, her work in the episode was pretty decent, she felt very much akin to the comic Michonne.

This was a fair episode at best, it meandered and didn't advance the story hardly at all.

And Michael Rooker as Merle, was awesome, he has been given so little time and lines, but in just a few episodes you sense a depth to his character so tragically obviously missing in Andrea.

I sincerely hope the next show runner is given the opportunity to winnow the wheat from the chaff and terminate the contracts of a number of the actors/actresses/writers who are dragging this show down.

+1
absolutely agree, well put sir
Michael Rooker has made me root for merle
IMG 2014033148576

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere
Another one of those confusing episodes. I expected more of it.

I will again say that I appreciate them taking it slow, but when Mazzara decides to take it slow the story doesn't go anywhere. And the interactions between characters are just so short. Everything feels disjointed and hardly any scene really ties in to the next. It's like he made a music video with a bunch of jump cuts. It just doesn't work on a drama TV show. They're not even a minute long. Herschel yells for Rick to get back and then, boom! Rick is outside. We never even see him react to Herschel challenging his leadership. And there are multiple scenes like this that end abruptly.

Andrea at the prison was hilarious. The prison group reacted the exact same way as the fanbase would. That was just so funny to me. I enjoyed that, even though it was badly written. "What have you told them?" Seriously, Andrea? You ask the mute what she's told them? My God, that's some sloppy writing, yet I can't help but find it entertaining. It's in the 'so bad it's good' category. Or 'hilariously incompetent' seems more appropriate.

The Gov's eye make-up was pretty badass. It's like I said, Nicotero should just stick to what he's good at; the make-up.

Why is Merle one of the only likable characters? His interaction with Herschel was great(even though as mentioned before it ended abruptly). Michael Rooker deserves a lot of praise for his acting ability because Merle sure as hell isn't supposed to be likable, letting someone get raped, stealing supplies from a helpless family with a baby and trying to kill Michonne. I was surprised they let him out of his cage. I felt like Merle being at the prison could have lead to a lot more conflict, like how they keep Oscar locked away in a cell in the comics because they don't trust him. Merle should've had to prove himself instead of, you know, saving Rick once and then he's all okay to wander around the prison.

I also agree with almost everything in that drunk rant. Very eloquent, indeed.

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy
The Woodbury residents are the most terrible background/recurring characters/actors ever...

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!