Would You Stop Watching If Rick Died?

Rick Carl Tyreese

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
There have been threads about Daryl’s popularity, some fans claiming they won’t watch if his character dies etc. I think more to the point is would you continue to watch if Rick dies. TPTB could take us for a complete turn. Would you still watch the how with the existing characters and the promise of new characters getting more involved i.e. Tyreese?

DirtyDeeJay

DirtyDeeJay

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationEngland
Would be extremely weird to watch if the main character was killed off, especially for those who read the comics. I'm not saying I wouldn't watch the show anymore but imo Rick is the gel that holds the characters together in TWD universe. Without him the potential arcs that are coming up wouldn't feel right. He is always the leader, even when his skills are tested and people die he takes charge time and time again. I really don't think anyone could fill Ricks boots!

Herschel Infinite Ammo Cheat: R2, R2, L1, R2, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
This is just speculation but what if they brought in Tyreese or Morgan to kinda groom Carl as he grows and its all too much for Rick to take. Im not saying I want AL to leave, but if he did and the writing were good I think Id still watch. I still miss Dale, true he wasnt the main character, but I still watch. Some culd even argue that Lori was the main female cast member (true she was disliked) but people still watch. I just wonder if people watch mostly for Ricks journey or for the entire storey.

Iis Hungree

Iis Hungree

Infected

• Members
I like AL and also the character of Rick. A lot. For me, this story has been about survival in a ZA through the eyes of officer friendly and his son. Having said that, if he were to die and there was a switch to following the story through another lead, I would probably be onboard with it, if done properly. But, what Rick has brought to the show would be a hard act to follow and the other lead needs to be really really good, cause there would always be a comparison (at least for a while).

President Merle

President Merle

Biter

• Members
  • LocationReleased early for good behavior...

Would be extremely weird to watch if the main character was killed off, especially for those who read the comics. I'm not saying I wouldn't watch the show anymore but imo Rick is the gel that holds the characters together in TWD universe. Without him the potential arcs that are coming up wouldn't feel right. He is always the leader, even when his skills are tested and people die he takes charge time and time again. I really don't think anyone could fill Ricks boots!

This.

I feel like the current cast + storyline has enticed me into watching the show more than just one character has, but it would be strange to have no Rick. I guess if they switched it to Carl's story it'd still make sense, but at the end of the day the show is more about the survival of humanity in all.

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania
Rick's my absolute favorite character by a long shot. And I want him to die. Not now, but eventually. He's still ripe to tell many magnificent stories with. But when the time is right, I want him to die in a way that will make my jaw drop and have the story shatter to bits.

His death would need to greatly affect each of the existing characters and turn the story into something entirely different. I wouldn't necessarily want Carl or someone else to step up to "leader." Rick's death would be perfect to do something devastatingly different. Maybe we'd watch Carl turn into a villain from there. Maybe we'd watch Andrea on her own, just doing acts that she'd think Rick would've done. Etc. Michonne and Morgan could also make great new lead characters.

Of course, this all depends on the writing. The aftermath of Rick's death would need to be planned in great detail in order to execute everything properly. If the writers don't feel comfortable doing such a deed, then I don't want them to. They need to be careful with a move of this size.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay

This is just speculation but what if they brought in Tyreese or Morgan to kinda groom Carl as he grows and its all too much for Rick to take. Im not saying I want AL to leave, but if he did and the writing were good I think Id still watch. I still miss Dale, true he wasnt the main character, but I still watch. Some culd even argue that Lori was the main female cast member (true she was disliked) but people still watch. I just wonder if people watch mostly for Ricks journey or for the entire storey.

Feel it's way to early for Rick to get killed off. Morgan hasn't reappeared yet and Tyreese has had minimal involvement at all.
They do have the rest of this season with Tyreese and then reintroduce Morgan next season.
Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I'm a diehard fan, so I'd keep watching no matter who they killed off. But, as with Daryl, I think a lot of people's interest would start to wane after he was gone. I don't know if it'd be enough to kill the show, since it is so popular as it is, but casual viewers like having somebody to follow during the course of a tv series. Killing the main character would be a huge gamble and you could definitely expect to see a decline in viewership to a certain degree, I just couldn't say how big or small that may be.

Take a look at The Office, a very popular show. When Steve Carell left, it seemed like they'd be okay since they still had a strong set of supporting characters, but the ratings began to freefall immediately upon his departure. I think a lot of people get into that "it just isn't the same" mindset anytime a show makes a major change like that.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
I can't see the show surviving if they killed off the main character now, or even next season. Like slimey said, one a main actor leaves a show, that show is never the same and viewers drop off.

Personally, I'd be pretty gutted if they killed him off. I'm not sure if I'd stop watching it or not, and I'm well aware that TPTB wouldn't give two shits if I did stop watching. It would for sure change how I felt about the show though.

SammyP

SammyP

Infected

• Members
Yes.

At Risk

At Risk

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn a near-constant state of confusion
If his exit was written well and the quality of the show could stay strong without him, I'd probably keep watching. Rick is one of my favorites (or at times, THE favorite), but I feel pretty well invested in almost all of the characters.

Made me think of:

andreagrimes

andreagrimes

Infected

• Members
It depends on how/when he dies. If his death is random and makes no sense in terms of storytelling, then possibly. My interest would wane at the least. But if it made sense in terms of the story and was a well-done death, then probably not.

It's hard to judge this with Rick, because Rick is so key to the story. They'd have to have a really great plan for what Rick's death would accomplish or inspire because otherwise it'd be a giant mess and could possibly ruin the show. He has to die at some point, but I can't see it being before the final season.

thefallenfeelnopain

thefallenfeelnopain

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNE Ohio
I think I would lose interest in the series if Rick were killed. In many scenarios, I'm a huge fan of the villain but in this one I find myself on the hero's side. Heholds the group together in a different way because he isn't perfect but he is the best hope they have...that is, if he stops going crazy ha.

kataurmayor

kataurmayor

Lurker

• Members
Hey slimymeteor are we the same person? Lmao jk I agree 100percent with you. When michael scott left the office it wasn't the same n I had that same feeling. These last 2 seasons have been painful. Of course pam and jim are still funny. But even the other characters that were funny kinda tapered off. I just think they ran out of material.

UltraAmbiguousID

UltraAmbiguousID

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationTonawanda, New York, USA
I would watch a couple more episodes out of curiousity.

Not only is Rick the protagonist, badass while being humble, and has the most compelling story, to me, but Andrew Lincoln's acting is sublime.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

If his exit was written well and the quality of the show could stay strong without him, I'd probably keep watching. Rick is one of my favorites (or at times, THE favorite), but I feel pretty well invested in almost all of the characters.

Made me think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uYggIdZ7O0

LOVE these Hitler "Downfall" rants. Thanks for sharing! +1
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn Lori's best interest

I would watch a couple more episodes out of curiousity.

Not only is Rick the protagonist, badass while being humble, and has the most compelling story, to me, but Andrew Lincoln's acting is sublime.

This ^^^

AlleghenyILS

AlleghenyILS

Infected

• Members
  • LocationPittsburgh

I can't see the show surviving if they killed off the main character now, or even next season. Like slimey said, one a main actor leaves a show, that show is never the same and viewers drop off.

Personally, I'd be pretty gutted if they killed him off. I'm not sure if I'd stop watching it or not, and I'm well aware that TPTB wouldn't give two shits if I did stop watching. It would for sure change how I felt about the show though.

Yeah they could kill AL. Either at the end of the series, or kill him before and expect a viewership hit.

kj500

kj500

Infected

• Members
It was really sad when Dale died but I don't think I'd be able to watch for quite a while if they killed Rick off.
After his Ricktatorship speech, he's become my absolute favorite character and the show wouldn't be the same without him.

Herschel's my next favorite but I think he's living on borrowed time. :(
Michonne

Uninfected Walker

Uninfected Walker

S-mart Employee

• Members
No.

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNew Zealand
Yes. I sometimes find Rick annoying and his scenes are seldom my favourites (exception shooting 'Renee' and his pal in the saloon last season). Karl is really starting to grow on me though.

ZombieDoubleRainbow

ZombieDoubleRainbow

Infected

• Members
Yes, because I feel like it's against the whole idea. The show is Rick's story. That's why it starts when he wakes up, rather than when the shit hits the fan. It shows flashbacks to give story to other arcs yes, but in essence it is still the tale of Rick's struggle to survive in a world as it is now, demonated by the undead.

While I'd be pissed if Darryl got killed, I'd still watch.

DarylIsHott

DarylIsHott

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas
As much as I love Rick I`d probably still watch the show.

Rague

Rague

S-mart Employee

• Members
We're all plotting Rick Grimes's death. :)

I've been neglecting this for thes ake of enjoying the show, but if Rick died, I figure they would pull a Red Dead Redemption and jump 4 or 5 years in the future, and we'd see Carl as a teenager/young man wearing Rick's hat and emulating his father.

But Carl's actor isn't grown enough for something like that, so let's say Rick died in this season - then I would expect Morgan to take over, him or Daryl. Those two are the only ones with enough significant character development and leadership qualities. Morgan could be a decent substitute for Rick and Shane - enough gun training, was a father at one point, batshit crazy. Daryl has that big brother bond with Carl. However, perhaps I'm biased, I don't feel like Daryl would stay 'main character' for long.

To answer your question, no, I would not stop watching The Walking Dead.

Not continuing to watch such an engaging show because a character I liked was killed would be silly.

It would be interesting to see where they go with it. Killing off the main character, the guy whose perspective we've followed since Season 1, takes balls.

Penya

Penya

Infected

• Members
Yes, I would continue to watch TWD just to see how everything plays out. I think a lot of the characters are strong enough to hold the show on their own (Darryl/Merle, Glenn/Maggie, Carl)
Rick: We're eating the man's food now?
Michonne: The mat said 'Welcome'

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!