Can Michonne Stay Interesting Forever?

Michonne

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
Danai Gurira is doing a great job, it's just very subtle. She has shown plenty of emotion, some people just aren't catching it.

limaro

limaro

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio, US
They're doing something right, because I'm interested enough in her mystery to want to see her open up about it. I keep hoping every week that she makes a friend in the group and starts talking. My money is on Carol, because she seems to do well with damahged people.

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
― Stephen King, The Stand

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I might be totally off, but I think that her unfolding and character development ultimately has to do with learning to trust other people and be part of a group, which is something that obviously at the moment she isn't able to do. So I understand that it comes across as selfish, but I see it as being in self-preservation mode; how much should she share and what happens if she does? The one person she had trusted, Andrea, didn't hesitate to let her down as soon as she had the chance.The writers could definitely convey all of this better, but imo I can see where they're aiming.

No I think you are right in that its fair to say her personality and development has a lot to do with her learning to trust other people/groups. I can also agree that it is most likely their intentions with Michonne. I just think their intentions and what is being portrayed once the cameras start rolling are different. It's like as soon as they start to make an significant break through with her they deviate into left field again. She feels half completed to me, like the writers got lazy or just assumed we would fill in the pieces by ourselves to make her complete.

You mentioned some scenes in your last post, like her reaction to Penny. I felt they could have went farther with that. I thought that was going to be a soft spot for her so I was actually surprised when instead of hesitating once she realized who Penny was to the Gov she ran her sword through Penny like it was nothing. Considering in the comics who the walkers she kept with her were I was thrown a bit off. Although I know she made quick work of them in the beginning of the series, we know she kept them with her for some emotional reason as she didn't realize the walker-smell-deterrent until later. Not that I felt bad for the Gov or didn't think he deserved it but I thought at least that would be a crack in her tough exterior. Just feels like with scenes like these the writers are missing their chance to develop her more.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
You act as if she were ever interesting to begin with.

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom

No I think you are right in that its fair to say her personality and development has a lot to do with her learning to trust other people/groups. I can also agree that it is most likely their intentions with Michonne. I just think their intentions and what is being portrayed once the cameras start rolling are different. It's like as soon as they start to make an significant break through with her they deviate into left field again. She feels half completed to me, like the writers got lazy or just assumed we would fill in the pieces by ourselves to make her complete.

You mentioned some scenes in your last post, like her reaction to Penny. I felt they could have went farther with that. I thought that was going to be a soft spot for her so I was actually surprised when instead of hesitating once she realized who Penny was to the Gov she ran her sword through Penny like it was nothing. Considering in the comics who the walkers she kept with her were I was thrown a bit off. Although I know she made quick work of them in the beginning of the series, we know she kept them with her for some emotional reason as she didn't realize the walker-smell-deterrent until later. Not that I felt bad for the Gov or didn't think he deserved it but I thought at least that would be a crack in her tough exterior. Just feels like with scenes like these the writers are missing their chance to develop her more.

I very much agree, +1. They could do a better job and go a step forward, and that's one of the reasons why I feel TWD is more enjoyable for its action/storyline rather than character development which is often half arsed. I can feel Michonne though, I like the way she isn't "chickified" by forcing traditionally "female" characterisation on her, like they do with other female characters on the show. I hope we get more out of her at some point, but leave her core intact.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

She was something of a hero in the comics and we were excited to see her in the show. Her tv counter-part is toned down and more human

Sorry, what? You've got it completely backwards.

In the comic, Michonne is an actual person. She has feelings and motivations, she can be hurt, she functions as Rick's 'lieutenant'.

On the show, she's every generic smoldering mute badass you've ever seen. Michonne can't stay interesting for one episode, let alone the rest of the series.

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members
I think they'll flesh out her character in the next episode as it will only be Carl, Michonne, Rick, and
Spoiler

Rick's Hat

Rick's Hat

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOver here going through your stuff

I think they'll flesh out her character in the next episode as it will only be Carl, Michonne, Rick, and

Spoiler

I am really looking forward to this episode. I hope my excitement doesn't get dashed on the rocks.

I'm hoping for a new, meaner leaner sane Rick and more talking from Michonne.

Crazy has come to town for a visit!!

twd85

twd85

Infected

• Members
  • LocationThe Governor's Missing Eye

I am really looking forward to this episode. I hope my excitement doesn't get dashed on the rocks.

I'm hoping for a new, meaner leaner sane Rick and more talking from Michonne.

You and me both! If nothing comes out of this episode it'll be yet another missed opportunity from the writers.

Zvivor

Zvivor

Lurker

• Members
The show creates the impression something unspeakably horrible happened to Michonne that made her the way she is. Every episode, I keep thinking they'll give us a glimpse of it, if not through a flashback, through some other action (like the Merle/Daryl conversation about their childhood, or Darryl's conversation with Carl about it). Every episode, they don't.

Michonne's vindictiveness -- off'ing Penny while the Gov begged, saying she went back to Woodbury to hurt the Governor because she knew it would hurt Andrea --(rather than because he tried to kill her)-- doesn't sell. It's like the writers don't even know who Michonne is. Is she just a selfish and immature woman who happens to be a badass with a katana? Or is there more to her? Right now other than the fact Team Prison needs warriors and the fact her aggressive slicing & dicing of walkers is fun too watch, she's not adding much to the story.

mplebanon

mplebanon

Infected

• Members
I find Michonne's lack of character development to be one of the biggest flaws of the show. Hopefully that changes tonight.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

The show creates the impression something unspeakably horrible happened to Michonne that made her the way she is. Every episode, I keep thinking they'll give us a glimpse of it, if not through a flashback, through some other action (like the Merle/Daryl conversation about their childhood, or Darryl's conversation with Carl about it). Every episode, they don't.

Michonne's vindictiveness -- off'ing Penny while the Gov begged, saying she went back to Woodbury to hurt the Governor because she knew it would hurt Andrea --(rather than because he tried to kill her)-- doesn't sell. It's like the writers don't even know who Michonne is. Is she just a selfish and immature woman who happens to be a badass with a katana? Or is there more to her? Right now other than the fact Team Prison needs warriors and the fact her aggressive slicing & dicing of walkers is fun too watch, she's not adding much to the story.

I agree. At first it seemed that Michonne's lack of communication was a plot device. Now, it seems that they need to humanize her more or she will become less likable.
I also agree with I R Biter. I think that Danai Gurira is doing a great job with what she has been given. It is a more subtle performance.

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
I find Michonne's strength and steadiness interesting.....it's on a level we don't get from the other characters......season 2 closed with her saving Andrea.....the pair was reintroduced in season 3 with her taking care of Andrea while she was sick, with Andrea telling her to just leave her......this implies that was the nature of their relationship.....it's natural for Michonne to be pissed at Andrea for not listening to her after all that.....I've seen Andrea as "under the governer's spell" this whole time, just like she said, I don't see telling her about the bullet holes making a difference, Andrea would've made another excuse, given the state of mind she was in

I see enough information to explain Michonne's quietness.....in the TV show, we know that she was alone for who knows how long, saves a woman, and looks out for her for several months, and that's her only significant human contact.....and she gets distracted for meat the first time it shows up......that will make a person jaded and distant......I get why she just doesn't say much, she doesn't trust people, and doesn't think it will make a difference.

CreepMeOut

CreepMeOut

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationToronto
I think Michonne's character will eventually open up and we'll learn more about her back story and why she is the way she is. The fact that she hasn't opened up is a sure guarantee that she will be around for awhile. At this point I'm very neutral about her but I did enjoy her more in ep11. I guess a quiet nature is a part of who she is but I agree with some of the others that the whole not speaking when it's necessary is way overdone.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
I still can't say for certain if Michonne felt closeness to Andrea. Her actions in leaving Andrea say no but the fact she appeared to be hurt by the fact Andrea didn't follow her point to yes. Michonne might be the type to be able to develop a bond with someone that goes beyond words and needing to know things about someone to feel close to them, however that is rare. I think most people would need that reciprocation of sharing in confidence with the other person in order to feel validation in a relationship. So while I can understand Michonne's perspective and I do because I am a bit like that myself, I also realize that other people aren't like that and I have to open up more.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
From Michonne's persepective - but God knows, this HAS to be a guess - I think she saw herself as Andrea's protector. She saved her life, saw her through the winter, her illness, and got her to WB where she was treated. Then, it was all thrown back in her face. "Okay, you saved me. What? I'm supposed to trust your gut now?"

While it's apparent to us that her lack of communication skills sealed the deal, it "might" be how she feels.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

I find Michonne's lack of character development to be one of the biggest flaws of the show. Hopefully that changes tonight.

Yeah, now we know she has terrible taste in art.

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom

I still can't say for certain if Michonne felt closeness to Andrea. Her actions in leaving Andrea say no but the fact she appeared to be hurt by the fact Andrea didn't follow her point to yes. Michonne might be the type to be able to develop a bond with someone that goes beyond words and needing to know things about someone to feel close to them, however that is rare. I think most people would need that reciprocation of sharing in confidence with the other person in order to feel validation in a relationship. So while I can understand Michonne's perspective and I do because I am a bit like that myself, I also realize that other people aren't like that and I have to open up more.

Ultimately I think we sympathise with the characters that have feelings that we're able to recognise. For instance, Michonne's harshness and the "you slow me down anyway", strikes a chord with me as it's what I do as well when someone hurts me. You could tell however that Michonne really cared and was let down, not just from her face but from her actions afterwards. Also, at least I'm brain farting, I remember watching some interview with Danai where she said Michonne went back for Andrea and the moment their relationship actually broke was when Andrea pointed her gun at her after Michonne attacked the Governor and killed Penny. Like I said, Michonne's character exposition isn't perfect by no means, although it got better in the last ep, but the Andrea/Michonne friendship unfortunately just didn't work on screen. Andrea wanted girly talk, whereas Michonne connects to people differently.

However, I still think writers in general can't really grasp the concept of female friendship.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!