Can Michonne Stay Interesting Forever?

Michonne

CrackFox

CrackFox

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEngland
She was something of a hero in the comics and we were excited to see her in the show. Her tv counter-part is toned down and more human but we all knew she needed to be. Now the mystique has worn off and her big entrance is in the past it seems to me like we're just left with another emotional cripple who doesn't say much. This is coming from someone who likes her. I'm glad she's around but I can see her becoming stale and overlooked if she sticks around for seasons to come. Thoughts?

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
They're doing a terrible job developing her character. I think (hope) once she is a regular part of the group she'll be able to shine more.

shanesghost

shanesghost

Infected

• Members
Can Michonne stay interesting forever? She is not interesting now.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....

Her tv counter-part is toned down and more human but we all knew she needed to be.

I believe you've got it the other way around.

TV Michonne is a glaring, one-note caricature. Comic Michonne is a fully-realized character. There's a distinct difference.

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania
She was never interesting in the first place. Not in the tv show, nor the comics. Her comic iteration simply becomes a less tedious and slightly more believable character over a very long period of time. I reckon that'll play similarly in the tv show.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I'm just calling her mysterious for now. We don't know much about her past and how she came to be here but that is also apart of her character. It shows that she doesn't reveal much to anyone. I still like her, I just hope we get to see more of what made her who she is. I don't know comic Michonne except what went on between her the Guv was much worse.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
The "mystery" of her character has worn thin. If Michonne is to be an integral part of this show, they need to give her some lines and get her character fleshed out.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

The "mystery" of her character has worn thin. If Michonne is to be an integral part of this show, they need to give her some lines and get her character fleshed out.

Exactly.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Shane is the Man

Shane is the Man

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
There was a time when Michonne was interesting? Huh, I must've missed it.
In my mind, she went from cartoonish ninja character that marred the relative reality of the show to a one dimensional glaring buffon. She's never been a great or interesting character.

Yo soy guajiro y carretero, y en el campo vivo bien, porque el campo es el Eden, mas lindo del mundo entero. 

prince_charming

prince_charming

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationSandy Eggo, California
In her defense I think they've done a somewhat terrible job at developing all of the characters this season; I just wish she were more than a near-mute. There is so much she could have said when Rick first took her into the prison that would have developed her character nicely. Still not sure why she wasn't more upfront about knowing Andrea, I doubt we'll ever know. Hopefully she'll stick around for a while in the show because she's still my favorite badass..her zombie-slashing this past episode was all kinds of amazing

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Comic Michonne is actually more human.

The writers biggest mistake was the way they ridiculously tried to turn Michonne and Andrea into BFFs, only to use that friendship to turn them both into this absurd stereotypical idea that women can't be friends without letting men get in their way and becoming catty bitches. I'd like Michonne more if she'd never run into Andrea and vice versa.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
Totally.

You know I think T-dog has had more lines than Michonne.

At Risk

At Risk

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn a near-constant state of confusion
Haven't gotten to her in the comics yet, but as far as TV goes, she was interesting to me only until she got to Woodbury. Once there, the selective mutism began pissing me off.

It's one thing to protect yourself by withholding knowledge, but most of the time when she's glaring and steaming I can't understand WHY in the world she would not share certain info - it seems like a big FU in the face of whoever is questioning her rather than a smart choice to be silent.

And I suppose that works as a personality type, but it strikes me more as a reaaaally overdone plot device to cause more drama.

whirlypop

whirlypop

Infected

• Members
her introduction was so hyped, i thought she'd have much more screen time but she didn't. i guess that's good, means she'll not die soon

Stevejenks86

Stevejenks86

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle, England
I was hyped after her debut in the series, but she's been pretty lacklustre so far. Theres only so many times you can see somebody become mute and stare into the distance before it gets repetitive.

Robert F

Robert F

Infected

• Members

In her defense I think they've done a somewhat terrible job at developing all of the characters this season; I just wish she were more than a near-mute. There is so much she could have said when Rick first took her into the prison that would have developed her character nicely. Still not sure why she wasn't more upfront about knowing Andrea, I doubt we'll ever know. Hopefully she'll stick around for a while in the show because she's still my favorite badass..her zombie-slashing this past episode was all kinds of amazing

Agree 100%. Bad writing. They spend six episodes looking for Sofia or three episodes of Andrea having goo goo talk with the Gov instead of actualy developing characters. I hope it gets better soon.

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Biter

• Members
  • LocationLouisiana

Can Michonne stay interesting forever? She is not interesting now.

I agreSe with you 100%. She is a badass fighter but her only true interesting moment was during the fight with TG. I find her too hyped up as well as they haven't fleshed out her character as she has been portrayed in the graphic novel from what I have read on this site. I am tired of her one constipated look and the fact that she says nothing. Don't need her to be chatty cathy type but she needs to speak something relevant at some point and apparently take some Metamucil (you would think this would still be on some stores shelves even after a ZA as everyone doesn't go for this med right off the bat.)

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom
I must be the only one who hasn't got a problem with her... Am I? She's not a very talkative character, that's not what she's about. Her humanity is very subtle e.g. the way she cares for Andrea and is let down, her reaction to Penny, and it offers a nice contrast to what she is at face value. Not all characters need to be crazy/hysterical banshees to be interesting, they can unfold slowly as the story goes along. Now, if she was still death glaring and not talking at all by next season I'd agree with you, but so far I find her to be one of the best female characters in the show.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
I don't have a problem with Michonne being naturally quiet. I'm actually a really quiet person in real life. My co workers hate working with me because they feel like they're working alone. I just hate talking (which is why all my posts are massive wall posts).

The problem is -- Michonne has valuable information that needs to be voiced. She has information that is so valuable, her keeping it a secret is putting people's lives in danger. It doesn't help that every time she interacts with a character they ask her to speak and be honest, and she just refuses to for reasons we haven't been told. People's lives are at risk, Michonne (aside from Merle) is he only one who has the full 411, but she just refuses to talk. Being quiet is one thing. Being deliberately secretive and cryptic is another. And it's selfish.

And her silence is affecting the other characters negatively. Examples:

- Andrea repeatedly asked Michonne what was so dangerous about the Governor. She asked Michonne to stop being cryptic and come out and tell her just WHY she thought Woodbury was dangerous. Michonne refused to tell Andrea anything. Then blamed Andrea for not knowing about the Governor. This whole thing could've been avoided if Michonne had talked to Andrea, shown Andrea her evidence. "Look, if you wanna stay that's cool, but you need to know all these things I've found out about the Governor." Instead she sneered and walked away.

- Michonne then meets the prison group. She's not stupid. A few episodes ago Andrea revealed she's told Michonne everything about herself, so it's safe to assume Michonne has heard everything about these people named "Rick" "Daryl" "Glenn" "Maggie" "Hershel" "Carl" etc. I mean, they're not common names on their own, let alone put together in a group. Yet Michonne doesn't say a peep to them about Andrea. And clearly she knew they were Andrea's group because when Rick questioned her about Andrea she didn't try to defend herself (or say anything, really. She just stared.)

- This led to another terrible misunderstanding: the group thinking Andrea was evil. Michonne left Andrea behind with no information. Then let the group think Andrea was the enemy. So when Andrea showed up at the prison and everyone treated her like shit, her first instinct was to go on defense mode, which made her resistant against Rick's request, which made Rick in turn see Andrea as a lost cause, when in actuality Andrea could've become Rick's greatest weapon. This whole misunderstanding could've been avoided with one sentence:

Glenn: Andrea's in Woodbury?
Michonne: Yeah, but he's keeping her in the dark with the rest of the town.

How hard is that?

- The names Daryl and Merle are no Jayden and Aiden. Yet she kept that a secret, too.

- Not to mention she lived in Woodbury, knows where the Governor lives, knows where they keep all their weapons, medicine, etc. You'd think she'd wanna tell Rick.

It would be one thing if we were told or shown why Michonne refuses to tell anyone anything, but we haven't. It just comes off as her being intentionally withholding when people's lives are in stake. It would be another thing if she didn't know anything. But she's the only character who knows everything. She has a responsibility to talk.

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
I totally agree with this. To me Michonne comes across as almost stupid, shooting herself (and everyone else) in the foot with her counterproductive muteness.

I haven't read the comics and so the only Michonne I know is the one on my television screen. I find her rather boring. And since her revelations about trying to hurt Andrea, rather petty as well. If she actually has an agenda, it's a selfish one.

Rick's Hat

Rick's Hat

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOver here going through your stuff

Agree 100%. Bad writing. They spend six episodes looking for Sofia or three episodes of Andrea having goo goo talk with the Gov instead of actualy developing characters. I hope it gets better soon.

I don't read the comics, but I was still so jazzed about Michonne, just from the chatter.

The writing stinks this season.

I do however have very high hopes for this coming episode, Clear, if this road trip doesn't flesh out Michonne's character more, the show is really going to piss me off.

Crazy has come to town for a visit!!

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
I don't really think shes been very developed at all. I have hopes for her character though. Maybe well get to see more of her personality in the next episode. I sure hope so. I'm sick of her not speaking up and only the same 2-3 facial expressions every time shes on screen. But I feel like I 'll like her more if she has a good episode or two. We really don't know anything about her.

Shes quiet.

She was with andrea

Doesn't trust people easily

And can kill zombies (so can every other character including beth)

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla
Personally, I find that the Michonne character just started becoming interesting. I was super-excited at the end of Season 2 (being a comics-reader), then... meh... but now I'm starting to hope that it can get better. She talked more in the last episode, and Rick seems to trust her. Things can only get better! :zombiethumbsup:
Make love not war!

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
Leela, I think I run out of +1s so fast because I give you so many a day. Spot on again!

I'm not a comic reader (although I've read through a good deal of its plot on wiki) however I was excited for Michonne because of how excited everyone else seemed to be. Dare I say it but as much as they have shown of her she is more a stereotypical caricature than T-Dog ever was. I can only hope this next episode her character opens up more. Although if she can spend 8 months alone with Andrea and Andrea still not know much of anything about her, how much realistically do we expect to learn from her going on a quick run with Rick and Carl? I want to hope for the best but I feel like I am setting myself up for disappointment.

I must be the only one who hasn't got a problem with her... Am I? She's not a very talkative character, that's not what she's about. Her humanity is very subtle e.g. the way she cares for Andrea and is let down, her reaction to Penny, and it offers a nice contrast to what she is at face value. Not all characters need to be crazy/hysterical banshees to be interesting, they can unfold slowly as the story goes along. Now, if she was still death glaring and not talking at all by next season I'd agree with you, but so far I find her to be one of the best female characters in the show.

I don't necessarily disagree. I felt that the writers were trying to convey emotion in her from the scenes you mentioned but ultimately due to her actions and character on a whole, those scenes fall flat as they fail on there own to give her character significant dimension. I think she comes off as selfish, immature and vindictive, to be honest. I've tried to blame that perception of her on bad writing in the past but as a few pointed out, maybe that is how they are developing her character. If that is the case then its truly unfortunate as I thought she was going to be one of my favs.

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom

I don't necessarily disagree. I felt that the writers were trying to convey emotion in her from the scenes you mentioned but ultimately due to her actions and character on a whole, those scenes fall flat as they fail on there own to give her character significant dimension. I think she comes off as selfish, immature and vindictive, to be honest. I've tried to blame that perception of her on bad writing in the past but as a few pointed out, maybe that is how they are developing her character. If that is the case then its truly unfortunate as I thought she was going to be one of my favs.

I might be totally off, but I think that her unfolding and character development ultimately has to do with learning to trust other people and be part of a group, which is something that obviously at the moment she isn't able to do. So I understand that it comes across as selfish, but I see it as being in self-preservation mode; how much should she share and what happens if she does? The one person she had trusted, Andrea, didn't hesitate to let her down as soon as she had the chance.The writers could definitely convey all of this better, but imo I can see where they're aiming.

Glenn: Andrea's in Woodbury?
Michonne: Yeah, but he's keeping her in the dark with the rest of the town.

I don't agree Andrea is in the dark. And I also don't agree that Michonne would be aware of Andrea being kept in the dark or not. I'm not saying Michonne doesn't need character development and to change and adapt in some ways, because she does. If by the end of this season she still hasn't defrosted at all I would understand, but to be fair her storyline with the group has only just started.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!