Does Merle Deserve To Die?

Merle Daryl Glen die

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Merle is an ignorant, selfish, sadistic bigot. He beat the crap out of Glen, and who knows how many others, but does Merle deserve to die? I cheered when Rick knocked him out to shut him up. I hated what he wanted to do to the family on the bridge; he tried to kill Michonne and Glen using the walker. But does he deserve to die? I’m not sure. I did see some compassion for his brother, that alone doesn’t weigh against the bad he’s done. If and when Merle dies I don’t know if I’ll necessarily be happy. Anyone think Merle deserves to die based on what we have seen?

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?
No.

Mikey77

Mikey77

Infected

• Members
  • LocationHigh Ground
I would slay him where he stands or let Glen gut him like a fish.
Be kind to your talking Frog.
Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Daydreamer

Daydreamer

Infected

• Members
Ignorant, selfish, bigots make for nasty people, but I'm not sure it immediately qualifies someone for death. But then again, gotta add Merle's murders to the list of offenses. Didn't he help with the Governor's slaughter of those troops? Or for me, the move that made Merle particularly cruel was when he shot Neal (Garjulio?) point blank.

So, yeah, probably. I'd wager these kinds of killings didn't begin for him with the ZA. With the bad upbringing I can sympathize and empathize to an extent, but not necessarily forgive...

Still, I love him for being a bad guy that's fun to hate. :) He definitely deserves death more than others who have gone before him, but I still hope he's around for a long while longer.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
moving thread to the S3 forum

Loved this scene... He definitely deserved that.

I can watch Merle going down all day long. :lol:

NervousCandy

NervousCandy

S-mart Employee

• Members

I can watch Merle going down all day long. :lol:

oh god

Littlemopeep

Littlemopeep

Infected

• Members
  • LocationWest Sussex
He defo needs to get it! He's a liability...

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

oh god

Eww. Not in a pervy way. :lol:

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
This is what the Talking Dead guy called "power off." lol. Love it!

Merle doesn't know how to live among civilized people. He should be exiled so he can be invited to dinner by those who can truly appreciate him.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Merle doesn't know how to live among civilized people. He should be exiled so he can be invited to dinner by those who can truly appreciate him.

Hannibal Lecter?

Littlemopeep

Littlemopeep

Infected

• Members
  • LocationWest Sussex
Definitely not in a Pervy way... I was thinking more along the lines of a Zombie using one of his main arteries as dental floss...

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
He might be deserving of death for all the horrible things he has done...but that doesn't mean I think he should die. If everyone got what they deserved there would be a lot of heartache! If he tries to hurt or kill one of Rick's group now that he isn't under the thumb of the Governor, someone should stop him, whether that means killing him or something else. But I still have hope that he might come around to being a halfway decent man. I would keep giving him chances until I had no choice but to kill him. But I'm just that kind of person. :)

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

Hannibal Lecter?

I was thinking more in terms of the zombies. lol.

Walker_Bait

Walker_Bait

Biter

• Members
I think he should die. He attempted to murder Michonne and Glenn. He kidnapped Maggie and Glenn. He also murdered Gargiulo but the prison group wouldn't know that. He is a threat to the group like Tomas.

I really like how the character plays into the story though. So, as a viewer, I won't mind if he becomes part of the group and redeems himself.

Daydreamer

Daydreamer

Infected

• Members

Hannibal Lecter?

Hannibal doesn't deserve Merle! Although he and the Gov' might enjoy a spot of tea. :)

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

He might be deserving of death for all the horrible things he has done...but that doesn't mean I think he should die. If everyone got what they deserved there would be a lot of heartache! If he tries to hurt or kill one of Rick's group now that he isn't under the thumb of the Governor, someone should stop him, whether that means killing him or something else. But I still have hope that he might come around to being a halfway decent man. I would keep giving him chances until I had no choice but to kill him. But I'm just that kind of person. :)

I agree with you, especially about "deserving". In life, we usually don't get what we deserve - both good and bad.
I also understand what you mean about giving him a chance. If they do go the redemption route, it would have to be believable. Having him sacrifice himself or something along those lines would be too uncharacteristic.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members
He probably will die. If I was Glen or Maggie I'd definitely think he deserved it.
No two ways about it, he intended to kill Glenn when he put a walker in the room with him while he was taped up to a chair. Maybe not as direct as putting a bullet into his brain, but his intent was to kill him, in a very painful way.
And he seemed to take pleasure in it. He's not a good man at all. Just because he's strong and capable does not make him good.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
The only person Merle could be trusted with to go on a run would be Daryl. Anyone else paired up with him could well end up like the Shane/Otis run. In order for Merle to redeem himself, he would first have to CARE about the others. Does he have it in him to turn himself around?

Perhaps in living with an Asian, a black man and good women, depending on them, actually getting beyond his stereotypes, he might see them in a new light. Nah.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
He's an uncontrollable threat. The Gov thought he could control Merle and use him as a "hammer." Look how that turned out; Merle killed Gargulio because he was too lazy - or afraid - to go after Michonne and lied to the Gov about killing her.

Rick and Co. could never fully trust him, not even Daryl. As I said before, Merle is a static character, incapable of growth, who serves as a foil to contrast Daryl's growth. So, yes, let him die.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
No. I don't think Merle deserves to die. If he does die then it would be a logical result from his actions but really his actions are standard in ZA. While I would like to take the high road in situations like these not everyone is a Daryl Dixon that can swoop in and save the day. Merle didn't want to waste his bullets on the family, which while cruel in its disregard for the preservation of human life, makes sense. He was like a "paid to kill" mercenary for the Gov. He felt no other loyalties to him other than he was the one in charge and it benefited him to follow him. This doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy being the bully or feeling superior to others which is his main vice imho and makes his acts just that much more difficult for anyone to overlook. That said knowing how opportunistic he can be it wouldn't be the smartest thing to allow him to be in the group but I personally don't think he "deserves" to die. However, I also don't fault Maggie, Glenn, Michonne or anyone else who wants him dead as revenge for what he's done/ attempted to do.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSan Diego
Merle is a cruel, selfish, racist, bully. If given the chance, he we express all of those attributes. In the ZA, it was easier for him to do that. Can he play nice? I don't know but not likely. Glen wants him dead and he isn't exactly a hot head, so what does that say? There is a difference between not trusting someone to join your group and not trusting someone to exist without attacking you. The gov will attack at some point and needs to die. Will merle attack if left out of the group? He was willing to hurt the Hispanic group on the bridge. Does that mean that he would hurt his brothers group? Tough call.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
I have a hard time with deciding whether or not he should die cause at this pint some members of the group have all killed non walkers. Merle does take more pleasure in his kills but in these times does it mean death for Merle. Right now based on what he has done I have to say no. Whethe he does something in the future to deserve it is yet to be seen IMO.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
I don't know if he deserves to die or not. I do know that were I to be in the position Rick is in the show I would kill Merle the first time he ceased to be of value to me, no one was looking, and I could pass the blame to the Gov or walkers. Worrying about whether he deserves to die or not would not enter into my decision. He's too big a wild card to leave in the game. The decision would be made on logic, not morality though.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
I fully believe the dynamic in the Dixon brother relationship has changed and Daryl is now the alpha brother and Merle will fall in line when he sees how the people at the prison look up to and depend on Daryl. Merle is not stupid and does not want to die and Daryl put his ass in check after the Mexican bridge rescue and I think, well at least I hope, that Merle will know his role and shut his mouth.

If Merle stops calling Daryl "Little Brother" then we are in business.

NoZombieNoCry

NoZombieNoCry

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationMordor
Isnt living in a zombie apocalypse punishment enough?
Not a native speaker, be patient.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!