What 1 Factor If Any Could Allow Merle Into Their Group

Merle Daryl Ansrea group Season 3

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Would anyone agree that Andrea and Merle became dare I say friends if there is 1 thing that can make Merle Tolerable in group would they allow him in? For example Andrea ruturning to the group, he wanst exactly mean to her and even showed symapthy at the news of Amys death

Spoiler

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationcuffed to a roof
Merle wouldn't be an easy person for the group to accept but he's got enough skills to be useful. They should have just given him and Daryl their own cell block.

If Glen would have taken him to the prison in the first place they could have locked him away and avoided all of they problems with Woodbury.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
Merle isn't evil, he is just an opportunist. He happened to fall out of favor with the Gov and so he would be very useful to the group, however in that same breath he wouldn't hesitate to betray them all save for Daryl, at the drop of a hat if needed be to save his skin. With that it mind its too risky to know when he would or wouldn't turn on them. Daryl isn't much of a safety net neither because Merle would only think of looking for a way for him and Daryl to get out, not the rest. That would be reason enough not to let him in but I doubt there is anyway Michonne or Glenn would allow Merle in under any circumstances, he tried to kill them and is in no way remorseful, he enjoyed it. But I think he might die before any of this really comes to a head.

limaro

limaro

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio, US
Merle helped them all by showing all of them, not just Daryl, the way out as they were escaping Woodbury.

I think he managed to behave civilly in Woodbury and showed the ability to play nice with others. Until the Gov needed a scapegoat, he was a respected member of the community.

Joining Rick's team is a considerably uphill battle, but I don't rule it out. He could save the baby somehow? He could kill the governor? rescue Andrea ?

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
― Stephen King, The Stand

socitycourty

socitycourty

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNorthern California
if he makes regular runs for baby formula and diapers.................

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMassachusetts

Merle helped them all by showing all of them, not just Daryl, the way out as they were escaping Woodbury.

"All" = Rick, Maggie and Daryl.

I think he managed to behave civilly in Woodbury and showed the ability to play nice with others. Until the Gov needed a scapegoat, he was a respected member of the community.

Community did not know about the National Guard slaughter carried out by the Governor & crew.
Merle tried to kill Michonne who was "allowed" to leave Woodbury.
Took Maggie & Glenn prisoner, tortured Glenn, let a walker go after him while he was taped to chair, and was going to execute Glenn & Maggie when Rick rescued them.

Joining Rick's team is a considerably uphill battle, but I don't rule it out.

Odd's are Merle would fight alongside Daryl with Ricks group. (Judari is 100% correct with Merle being an opportunist.)
However Merle's chances of joining the group are very, very slim. Only Daryl would trust Merle, nobody else will.

NoZombieNoCry

NoZombieNoCry

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationMordor
Ih he has the cure...

Not a native speaker, be patient.

Rick's Hat

Rick's Hat

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOver here going through your stuff
Cut off his other hand :zombiethumbsup:

Crazy has come to town for a visit!!

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
Can't trust Merle. Andrea could make friends with the devil, lol.

MandyB

MandyB

Infected

• Members
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA
I don't think Andrea really trusts Merle either. She saw what he was like before Woodbury. He was acting somewhat empathetic towards her about Amy, but she knows that he's still carrying a lot of hatred for Rick and T-dogg. When the Dixon brothers were put into the arena, Andrea attempted to rescue Daryl ("but he's my friend"), but never mentioned a word about Merle. She could care less about him. I don't think Merle could really be a friend to anyone, because like everyone has stated, he's an opportunist. He would always protect Daryl and himself, but I doubt anyone else could ever fully trust him. And I highly doubt he could ever redeem himself to Michonne, Maggie, or Glenn, regardless of who he saved.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
I think that not only is Merle an opportunist, he would sacrifce Daryl if the chips came down to it. If it was a choice between survival and Daryl.. Daryl would be left as walker bait. Believe it. Merle is a rabid dog that needs to be put down.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

DJ_HYDRAulics

DJ_HYDRAulics

S-mart Employee

• Banned

I think that not only is Merle an opportunist, he would sacrifce Daryl if the chips came down to it. If it was a choice between survival and Daryl.. Daryl would be left as walker bait. Believe it. Merle is a rabid dog that needs to be put down.

what show have you been watching? the chips have already come down to that and merle chose daryl over survival. He halfway threatened TG in episode 8 during the planning by saying "nobody touches my brother" with a stern look.This no doubt caused TG to trust him less and could potentially have lead to his death knowing the way TG throws anybody who challenges his authority under a bus.
also during the death match, TG promised life to the winner. Merle could have easily popped out his arm blade and killed daryl to show all 70 villagers that he was on their side. However, he chose to put on that little show so they could both get out. I doubt merle would ever throw daryl under a bus and if he does, the writers definitely f*cked up

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

Merle isn't evil, he is just an opportunist. He happened to fall out of favor with the Gov and so he would be very useful to the group, however in that same breath he wouldn't hesitate to betray them all save for Daryl, at the drop of a hat if needed be to save his skin. With that it mind its too risky to know when he would or wouldn't turn on them. Daryl isn't much of a safety net neither because Merle would only think of looking for a way for him and Daryl to get out, not the rest. That would be reason enough not to let him in but I doubt there is anyway Michonne or Glenn would allow Merle in under any circumstances, he tried to kill them and is in no way remorseful, he enjoyed it. But I think he might die before any of this really comes to a head.

Merle isn't evil? Murder isn't evil anymore?

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

DJ_HYDRAulics

DJ_HYDRAulics

S-mart Employee

• Banned

hard to find somebody who has not murdered in a ZA. guess they are all evil

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

what show have you been watching? the chips have already come down to that and merle chose daryl over survival. He halfway threatened TG in episode 8 during the planning by saying "nobody touches my brother" with a stern look.This no doubt caused TG to trust him less and could potentially have lead to his death knowing the way TG throws anybody who challenges his authority under a bus.
also during the death match, TG promised life to the winner. Merle could have easily popped out his arm blade and killed daryl to show all 70 villagers that he was on their side. However, he chose to put on that little show so they could both get out. I doubt merle would ever throw daryl under a bus and if he does, the writers definitely f*cked up

I respectfully disagree. Merle told TG that no one touches his brother but the look he gave was emphasis, not a threat. Merle wasn't stupid enough to threaten TG to his face. Merle wanted his brother safe and would leave Woodbury over that but that is not really survival.

And as for the fight, Merle knew he was f-cked and that TG would never let either of them out alive. He knew TG was a liar; he'd been doing the dirty work behind the scenes all along and knew the real truth about the National Guard incident, he collected heads for TG, he knew it all. He knew his best chance for getting out was WITH DARYL because he would have back up.

But if Daryl and Merle were trapped by a walker herd and Merle couldn't think of a way out, Merle would shoot Daryl the way Shane shot Otis. Bet on it.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

hard to find somebody who has not murdered in a ZA. guess they are all evil

Rick & co have murdered in self defense. Merle participated in the murders of the army guys and he murdered gargulio.

I can't believe I have to even explain this shit anymore. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get their head checked.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMassachusetts

Rick & co have murdered in self defense.

Just wanted to clarify killing in self defense is called Justifiable Homicide.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
If we MUST keep him, a gag would help.

DJ_HYDRAulics

DJ_HYDRAulics

S-mart Employee

• Banned

Rick & co have murdered in self defense. Merle participated in the murders of the army guys and he murdered gargulio.

I can't believe I have to even explain this shit anymore. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get their head checked.

You need to get your head checked. What you said was your point of view. doesn't mean it's fact.
one could argue that when TG and his crew killed the national guard, it was for self defense. When the virus first broke out, army men were shooting innocent civilians the whole time just to try and contain the virus. who's to say these army guys wouldn't have gone to woodbury and caused havoc? Murder is murder, whether it is for self defense or other reasons. Murdering someone who is a perceived threat also does not count as self defense. tomas didn't have a gun to rick's face when rick killed him. but rick thought that if he didn't kill him then, he would have been a danger to the group. Same situation with the Nat. guard.

DJ_HYDRAulics

DJ_HYDRAulics

S-mart Employee

• Banned

I respectfully disagree. Merle told TG that no one touches his brother but the look he gave was emphasis, not a threat. Merle wasn't stupid enough to threaten TG to his face. Merle wanted his brother safe and would leave Woodbury over that but that is not really survival.

And as for the fight, Merle knew he was f-cked and that TG would never let either of them out alive. He knew TG was a liar; he'd been doing the dirty work behind the scenes all along and knew the real truth about the National Guard incident, he collected heads for TG, he knew it all. He knew his best chance for getting out was WITH DARYL because he would have back up.

But if Daryl and Merle were trapped by a walker herd and Merle couldn't think of a way out, Merle would shoot Daryl the way Shane shot Otis. Bet on it.

I think you're just splitting hairs on that one. the point is, TG expects merle to be a lapdog and nod his head to everything he says. Merle's statement showed that if the time comes, if TG does anything to daryl, there will be ramifications. If you wanna call it an "emphasis" instead of a threat, fine. but the outcome still was the same. TG threw merle underneath a bus.

as for the fight. you need to analyze the situation a little closer. TG want's to seem like an honest and trustworthy person to his 70+ villagers. His word was that the winner gets to live. Merle killing daryl showing that he means absolutely nothing to him in front of 70 villagers would have definitely swayed the crowd in his favor. If merle were to kill daryl, and than TG kills him anyways after, he would seem like a liar who's word cannot be trusted and a ruthless man who forced a brother to kill another brother for no reason. It would look very bad for him. If you noticed, everything this man does(barbeques, parties, speeches) is to make himself look like a geniune guy even if he's not. He would never break his word in front of the entire village

let's also not forget the fact that these 2 brothers have helped each other out and survived months by themselves before this show even started. Watching this big group and all the close calls they have had, i'm sure merle and daryl came upon just as many when it was just them 2. Yet daryl is still alive and merle hasn't thrown him under a bus yet

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

If you noticed, everything this man does(barbeques, parties, speeches) is to make himself look like a geniune guy even if he's not. He would never break his word in front of the entire village

I can see where you are coming from, However, TG is very good at arranging "accidents" and Merle knows it; he's the one who did the work while TG made up a story. Merle knew that even if he killed Daryl during the fight, TG wasn't going to let him live, no matter what TG said to the sheep. TG would simply have Merle's injuries from the fight "treated" and then say he died of complications or some other believable story. TG couldn't trust Merle anymore and Merle knew he'd been caught lying. His best bet for survival at that point was to get out of Woodbury and his chances for escape were better with Daryl than without him.

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMassachusetts

tomas didn't have a gun to rick's face when rick killed him. but rick thought that if he didn't kill him then, he would have been a danger to the group. Same situation with the Nat. guard.

Tomas red flags to Rick:

Killed Tiny without hesitation.
Did not listen to Rick about opening boths doors.
Took a swing at him during the melee.
Intentionally deflected a walker directly at him.

Killing the guardsman because other military killed civilians extremely piss-poor logic:

"The Military killed civilians. Therefore all Military are murders and must be killed."

By that rational one could also say:

"Woodbury residents killed the Military. Therefore all Woodbury residents are murders and must be killed."

LittleAssKicker

LittleAssKicker

Infected

• Members
  • LocationLumpy Abyss
He must take his gonorrhea medicine
We got this, man! We got this by the ass!
Roger - Dawn of the Dead.

DJ_HYDRAulics

DJ_HYDRAulics

S-mart Employee

• Banned

Tomas red flags to Rick:

Killed Tiny without hesitation.
Did not listen to Rick about opening boths doors.
Took a swing at him during the melee.
Intentionally deflected a walker directly at him.

Killing the guardsman because other military killed civilians extremely piss-poor logic:

"The Military killed civilians. Therefore all Military are murders and must be killed."

By that rational one could also say:

"Woodbury residents killed the Military. Therefore all Woodbury residents are murders and must be killed."

speak to a lawyer friend of yours if you have any. Tell them to define self defense. They will tell you something along the lines of taking the life of someone who poses an IMMINENT threat to yourself or others. If someone does not listen to your orders, takes a swing at you, unleashes a rabid dog on you and chases you accross the block and you go over to his house and shoot him in the face and kill him, that is not justifiable homicide or self defense, it is MURDER. what rick did and what TG did is both considered murder.
which brings me back to my original point. thelastpaul said merle is "evil" because he murdered. If that's true, than there must be plenty of "evil" people in the ZA

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Murdering people doesn't necessarily make someone evil. I am not saying he is a picture of perfect morals but he isn't some serial killer who has to kill in order to satisfy their dark passenger neither (Dexter reference there, not that I think Dexter is evil but my point is Merle doesn't kill because he gets uncontrollable urges). That is why I described him as an opportunist. His reasoning for killing someone or letting someone live is solely based on his own personal gain and survival. This isn't very much different from how the majority of people we have seen in ZA and even to a certain extent Rick's group. Only difference is Rick's group kills out of self defense more than anything and actually shows remorse. Merle shows no remorse for those he kills but we also know he is capable of compassion and looking out for someone other than himself, Daryl (Also he even showed empathy towards Andrea for loosing Amy). That I think separates him from being truly evil. Merle plays the stereotypical hick very well but he is a complex character and I think labeling him as evil does the character a disservice as it oversimplifies him.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!