The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 9 - The Suicide King - Review

the walking dead season 3 daryl merle the governor rick the prison woodbury

The Walking Dead Midseason Premiere - The Suicide King (211 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (90 [42.65%] - )

42.65%

2. Good - Some Critiques (84 [39.81%] - )

39.81%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (32 [15.17%] - )

15.17%

4. Poor (5 [2.37%] - )

2.37%

GoKillZombies

GoKillZombies

Lurker

• Members
I wonder if Daryl chose Merle thinking he could be of more help to the group from outside the prison... Kind of like a Robin Hood of the walking dead. Daryl was probably going stir crazy just waiting to be attacked so maybe he thought if he broke free from Ricks rules he could help the group even more. I just thought it was odd how easy a decision leaving them for Merle was for him. And the safety (kinda) of the prison.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Martinez rescuing that beautiful little girl was just the cutest thing.

I love him.

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationcuffed to a roof
Beth should hook up with Sasha. That way nobody could whine about Beth's age....... even though she is of legal age anyways? Everybody gets Beth action (and Sasha action) while nobody can complain about age differnce. Everybody wins.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members

Beth should hook up with Sasha. That way nobody could whine about Beth's age....... even though she is of legal age anyways? Everybody gets Beth action (and Sasha action) while nobody can complain about age differnce. Everybody wins.

How old is Beth to be exact? I just found out that the actor is like 27 :o

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
On the farm it's said seventeen, so with the months that have passed between then and now statistically she's most likely eighteen.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members

On the farm it's said seventeen, so with the months that have passed between then and now statistically she's most likely eighteen.

Oh if that's the case then, they probably won't be putting her in a relationship. Unless they do something totally different, and try to develop a little triangle between her, Sasha, and Sasha boyfriend.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members

Oh if that's the case then, they probably won't be putting her in a relationship. Unless they do something totally different, and try to develop a little triangle between her, Sasha, and Sasha boyfriend.

Is he Sasha's boyfriend? I didn't get that vibe, I just thought he was Alan's son. Besides something tells me Alan and Ben will die soon.

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members

Yeah, really. It would completely solve the whole problem. I'm trying to be a peace maker here.

Edit: and she's not that funny............. at all.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
Oh well since it's a gif of Kathy Griffin then I guess her being funny is the point, never mind the context. Awesome focus, great job.

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
You're right I really should have put more effort into responding to a gif that you plucked out of the internet. You really got me good. I mean yeah I have been put in my place by your great counter point of Really?!

I guess I've been taught a lesson. I mean it's not like Stevie Wonder could see that was a joke or anything. Congrats internet police another job well done. I mean it's not like I answered your response above where I said she's not funny or anything............

DJ_HYDRAulics

DJ_HYDRAulics

S-mart Employee

• Banned
This is a leaderless group at the moment. Daryl's point was 100% true. the Gov. is definitely coming to destroy them.with an army. The gov. also wants merle dead. The obvious solution at the moment is to let merle join FOR THE MOMENT to handle the situation. They lost oscar. all they have is rick, glenn, 5 girls, and 1 legged herschel. now you forced away your main muscle because you were too paranoid about his brother, you go apesh*t on a group of survivors that are willing to help you fight a war, and you're kicking a woman that the writers gave superpowers to, out on her ass after you're done patching her up. Good call rick. I hope you and the estrogen squad/amputee team have a great time fighting the gov's army. Maybe you can try tossing the baby at the gov's other eye.

we're about to fight a war! let's fire half of our generals and then send the other half on vacation.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
Finally got to see it... but I got two search engines installed that I can't remove, I don't know much about DOS to go in there and do it manually. I hate it when a site literally forces you to download if you want something. Nearly every single one that I visited to view the episode had it. Hope they're happy with the commission checks they're getting. Assholes!!

Carol said that Merle likes to set people against one another and he would've done so had Rick let him in the Prison with the rest of the group again. Rick wasn't impressed with Merle first time around and he's not impressed with him again. Daryl probably didn't appreciate Rick smacking his brother down hard and yeah I guess loyalties with blood family are stronger. At least with Daryl.
I'm kinda laughing at all he "If Daryl dies we riot" people... ok he's not dead... but he is gone from the show. Now what cha gonna do? Hope, pray, expect Daryl to return? Heh
No "GET BACK HERE!" scene from Hershel (yet).
No, "you need to stop being the leader" from Carl (yet)
No, governor shooting at the prison
A lot of scenes in the "sneaks" weren't used tonight. So basically clips from episodes already filmed in whole or in part.

I can understand Hurd's concern with prolonged hiatus between season breaks. People might have already gotten burned out waiting and waiting. We've become the "I want it NOW!" Veruca Salt's generation, so folks aren't going to be patient for long. Especially if they keep doing this.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

etc

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members
Huh. I really enjoyed this episode, and wasn't ready for it to end. But there are a few things that made me wonder/cringe:

1) Some of the dialog seemed directly a response or anticipation of what fansites would say about the episode. Glenn's question of why Maggie didn't just shoot the Governor, for example. there was another, but can't think of it now.

2) During that scene, actually, there were a number of walkers in the background coming toward them as they tried to move the truck. Funny how it was just so casual, they weren't a threat. Walkers have now become routine and just background, if they're not in mass.

3) Didn't like how Laurie Holden delivered the lines she had, although I don't think the lines themselves were bad. And, if she was a lawyer before, it might be something she'd come up with. Actually, the thought of her in a courtroom saying something like that makes her delivery a bit better.

4) Dangit, one more thing, can't think of it, tho Later.

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
Why is point 2 something to wonder about or cringe over? We know they are routine and not worth much worry for Maggie/Rick or Glenn now days. They can see the walkers clearly, and they are of no threat in this instance. Andrea was a civil rights attorney and mentioned in series 2.

Surprised to see some people moaning and crying over this episode to be honest, thought it was easily better than any of the episodes after "Killer Within" so far. Really liked Herschel's scenes and Carol/Carl, Carol/Rick, and I liked the Carol/Beth scenes.

I also liked the sudden hallucination of Lori, it was nice to see her. I liked Carol's little chat with Carl. Thats the stuff I felt has been missing for a few episodes now. Someone said we don't need reminders Rick is nuts, but to be honest, we do. I've seen many saying he has "got well" too fast, despite seeing Shane in episode 8...

It was nice in general to see the prison group almost all together and bigger than before and actually discussing and planning. The second half of the episode was the best bit.

Herschel and Carol got some use, but I fear it is just some build up ready for the prison culling :/

Zombear

Zombear

Infected

• Members
I thought it was an amazing episode. Loved that Rick's rising out of and descending into madness. To be honest, I only have two complaints that really took me out of the episode:

- Hershel gets up way too easy for an elderly gentleman with only one leg.

- When Rick said: "Where's Oscar now?" I was surprised nobody said that he died fighting for Rick's group, while only being part of it for a day (maybe two).

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members

- When Rick said: "Where's Oscar now?" I was surprised nobody said that he died fighting for Rick's group, while only being part of it for a day (maybe two).

Yeah I thought that, but I think he was getting at the idea he allowed Ocsar to be involved with their group only for him to end up dead, and if this group stick around he can't say they will be any safer anyway.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
The time period Rick is acting in has a LOT to do with how he's losing it. He had a whole winter to come to grips with killing Shane and the fall of the farm, but only a few days to handle T-Dog and Lori dying, plus handle the chaos of the prisoners joining. He's handling crisis right now, and is stuck in a Tactical viewpoint, which makes him a very bad leader for long term strategic and group decisions.

To have brought in Merle would have separated and ostrasized Maggie and Glenn, and probably created dissention between him and Herschel/Beth when they found out about the Woodbury violation (it doesn't have to be rape to create this sort of mental anguish for Maggie and Glenn). Merle would be a constant antagonizer and you would lose over 1/2 your survivors by accepting him. He is stronger without Daryl if Daryl brings the current Merle.

I interpreted the Beth kiss to Rick and saying 'Thank You' for bringing back her sis and keeping the group cohesive. I think she recognizes the paternal roles and strengths of Daryl and Rick, and can get snuggly towards that without it leading somewhere romantic or crudely sexual. She has an established group position to, and reducing this to who she's going to use like a shake-n-bake bag is NOT doing her character any credit.

Rick is looking at a potential war against Woodbury. He's VERY concerned and should be, but to be fair assaulting a prison cannot be taken lightly either. If they reinforce and blockade, they can defend against an invasion and hold out for awhile. Yes other other side has advanced weapons and military vehicles, but they have to fight their way into a fortified location surrounded by Walkers before they can even attack Rick and his armed folks. The prison, prepared right, can hold back a siege for awhile. Although Rick is surrounded, he's not vunerable on four sides. Every hour the Gov doesn't breach and succeed he will attract more Walkers from the area, and his group IS surrounded from four sides and up against a brick wall. If Rick's group doesn't do anything stupid they should be able to resist the siege. How many soldiers does the Gov have? Not counting the villagers there really can't be that many.

I get Andrea's personality, even if I don't approve. There are these sorts of people in the real world, and in a ZA. You'll have Andreas as well as Merles. Andrea only knows what she's been told and sees. A winter is a long time when it comes to survival, she could easily question what Rick and his group have become since the fall of the farm.

I'm going to write the word Maggie here because I feel I haven't acknowledged my obsession with the character in this post.
Maggie.
Okay, I'm good!
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere
This episode leaves me scratching my head. If I had to describe it in one word I'd have to call it 'bland'. I appreciate that they took a slower pace this time around, but just like the first half of this season they just can't manage to find that right balance between action and development. Not to mention that some of the dialogue was horrible. "Where's Oscar now?" for example. He died protecting your group, Rick. Not really a great argument for keeping Tyreese and his crew out of the prison to be honest.

The ending of this episode has to be the worst so far. Instead of painting Rick as becoming unstable after his wife's death (which I would have preferred) they decide to depict him as bat shit insane. It's like they took one aspect of the comic, Rick hearing Lori's voice over the phone, and went completely overboard with it. Rick turned from a tragic leader into an incompetent crazy person. Way to make your protagonist unlikable.

Andrea's speech was cheesy. That's all I have to say about that.

I did like that Daryl went off with Merle. Not because it's a wise choice on Daryl's part, per se, but more so that Merle won't serve as another convenient plot device for conflict like Tomas and Andrew were and Allen and Ben are obviously going to be. Props for that.

I'm still rating this episode 'fair', since they at least tried to develop some characters for the first time in nine episodes.

zomnipotent

zomnipotent

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationomnipresent
It wasn't bad, I agree with those who feel the long break really messed with continuity. Biggest gripe it's with friggin Andrea. I mean, who in their right mind would ever give an ounce of credit to Philip. C'mon head on fish tanks? little girl walker in a cage,? Not to mention, everyone who was close to her is an enemy of her" man" or do she thought. Despite this she want to stick by the gov. If I were a woman it would piss me the f off. Comes off as way to massive and subservient. She is irredeemable in my book, cause if she really cared about the town she could kill him now and make peace with Rick. problem solved.
As far as Maggie and Glenn go, seems that after Daryl and Merle decide to go out alone, and Glenn gets all pissy and wants to leave, Maggie takes it personal. Kinda like, off he is willing to leave the group he is willing to leave Maggie.
The lori thing didn't bother me too much. My take is that Rick has immense guilt for not forgiving her before her death. The white dress combined with the darkened face to me symbolized how Rick views her. pristine on the outside, but he felt that there was something deeper, hence his inability to forgive her.
Lastly, when Tyrese said he was the first black guy to break into prison I thought there was a perfect opening to remind people about T-dog. someone should have said, no you are the second one, our great late friend T-done was the first.
IMG 2014033148576

Jenners

Jenners

Roamer

• Members
Just wanna say all these pity fights on the thread are not why I read through 4 pages..
anyways, onto the show. I was so excited and I don't think I was disappointed at all. I love the show no matter what happens and I never nit pick, actually enjoy it more when you don't nit pick

Loris hallucination really freaked me out. That was so creepy.
Daryl come back! It doesn't have to be like this.
I love Glenn stomping the zombies head, it shows how angry he really is.
not surprised Daryl chose merle over his group, that's his brother. I know he will come back!
beths kiss on ricks cheek was an innocent thank you for saving my sister kiss. Don't read into it like their gonna start making babies.
I wanna see tyrese's group join Ricks.
and Martinez saving that little girl made my heart melt. And he looked good doing it.
the governor shooting that walker in the fog like its not big deal, awesome.

and I want more zombie action.
I love my town; This will not define us. 12/14/12. We choose love.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
1 - Sorry to see Daryl leave, but it makes sense and the group taking in Merle would not have. The shark remains unjumped.

2 - Haley's dead? Aw! She had so much comic potential.

3 - The Gov is STILL alive? WTF?

4 - Hershel to Glenn: "You're my son."
Hershel to Maggie: 'Now go make out with Glenn.' Creepy.

SkeezyMak

SkeezyMak

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDelaware, USA
Rick is running on zero sleep, after going through some extremely traumatic experiences. Why do people keep saying "Lauries Ghost"? Dudes hallucinating, Hershel pointed out earlier in the episode that Rick hasn't slept in days. Seems reasonable to me. Good Ep. Oh yeah, Andrea still sucks.

Hialmar

Hialmar

Infected

• Members
I noticed a lot of folks stating that Rick is distrustful of any new folks and that is why he will not let them stay, but I got thee feeling that is not the only reason.

I think he clearly does not trust Michonne nor Merle but in both cases it seems to be warranted. She just gives off an extremely moody and distrustful vibe and her refusal to speak boarders on the absurd.

Merle has done nothing but indicate he is just the loudmouth troublemaking bumpkin that he appears to be. He has done nohting to show he is worth the hassle of keeping around.

In the case of the 4 newcomers to the prison, I got the feeling he wants them gone, but not becuase he does nto trust them but because he does not want the responsibility for their lives.

Clearly he is already on the wrong side of the edge of a complete mental breakdown and I think the losses of all the folks that have counted on him are contributing to that, and he just does not want to add more lives to the list.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!