Photo

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 9 - The Suicide King - Review

the walking dead season 3 daryl merle the governor rick the prison woodbury

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

Poll: The Walking Dead Midseason Premiere - The Suicide King (211 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (90 votes [42.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.65%

2. Good - Some Critiques (84 votes [39.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.81%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (32 votes [15.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

4. Poor (5 votes [2.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

mplebanon

mplebanon

Infected

• Members
  • 32 posts

Kind of on the same note, I'm frustrated too by how Sarah Wayne Callies is still credited as a main for the show. Okay, she's made two cameos since the fourth episode, but.....come on. That space could be filled with McBride and or Wilson's names, a promotion which they more than deserve.

Agree 100%.

McBride and Wilson should be in the main credits. Lauren Cohan finally got added. Why do they do that?

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • LocationCanada
:lol: Deadpelican, you're obsessed with the supposed hotness of Beth, so of course you want to see some sort of action going on there..Daryl has never batted an eye in her direction and you know it!

I just thought the Beth kiss, followed by the scene of her saying she has always wanted a child was a little weird. Is she thinking she should play house with Rick? :srug:

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
  • 776 posts

Agree 100%.

McBride and Wilson should be in the main credits. Lauren Cohan finally got added. Why do they do that?

They make updates every season, not mid season.
Posted Image

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

:lol: Deadpelican, you're obsessed with the supposed hotness of Beth, :srug:

Guilty.

:lol:

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

:lol: Deadpelican, you're obsessed with the supposed hotness of Beth, so of course you want to see some sort of action going on there..Daryl has never batted an eye in her direction and you know it!

I just thought the Beth kiss, followed by the scene of her saying she has always wanted a child was a little weird. Is she thinking she should play house with Rick? :srug:

For the record I had similar thoughts about her wanting to play house with Rick. Until I re-watched the episode.

She's talking about how she wanted a child, then says how bad it sucks that Daryl is gone and then camera cuts to the baby basket which has "little ass kicker" written on the side of it (Daryl's chosen nickname).

But no, Daryl hasn't batted an eye at her. She could change that, if she works at it a little I think.

Someone needs to hook up with Beth, and Rick is too busy seeing hallucinations of his dead wife.

Edited by Deadpelican, 11 February 2013 - 05:26 AM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

ENOUGH!

ENOUGH!

Infected

• Members
  • 6 posts
I genuinely love the show but tonight definitely wasn't one of the best for me. I agree with others that this Rick going crazy thing has run its course. At this rate he would get himself killed, he's coming off as a unpredictable threat and liability. He's gotta normalize a little. I don't understand why Carol (and Melissa) always get the shaft. She's been a legitimate character since the start and she has had major character development. I'm a sucker for the under dog so I have enoyed seeing her come alive. Glen is great, he's really grown on me, as has Maggie. I hope they are around for a long time. Andrea is a mess lol. I want to love her but she always manages to do or say something reductive to her character. That being said, (and I haven't read the comics) I felt there was maybe some foreshadowing when she was consoling the town's people. On a side note, some of the overly dramatic towns people reminded me of South Park when people are running around and panicking lol. Can't wait for next week!

Bro

Bro

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
Only 3 pages? Wow, usually this thread is giant by this time of night.

I enjoyed the episode, tired right now so I'm not going to get into specifics, most on the Rick-group side looked to be a setup for the eventual rick temporary downfall plotline that is obviously coming. Look forward to seeing Daryl/Merle on the road.
Posted Image

justvic77

justvic77

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • 4,792 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
Just a quick question, as I watched the episode over a streaming website, and not in HD. But in the Lori hallucination scene, did anyone else think it looked like they may have had her face done up as a walker? I know they had her heavily shadowed, but something looked a bit off also, at least to me on the feed I watched.
The first step is the one you believe in, the second one might be profound.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationThe Stratosphere!

Just a quick question, as I watched the episode over a streaming website, and not in HD. But in the Lori hallucination scene, did anyone else think it looked like they may have had her face done up as a walker? I know they had her heavily shadowed, but something looked a bit off also, at least to me on the feed I watched.

Yes I noticed that something was a little odd about her face, but I couldn't tell if it was just the shadow or not. It crossed my mind they might depict her as a walker if they keep showing her. It would seem to be a believable aspect of Rick's mental trauma induced hallucinations to me if they chose to do so.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
  • 96 posts
For people saying that Rick's going crazy has run its course, are you all forgetting that his wife died not long ago, and he really only had one full day to process it?

Other than that, the episode was good. I'm glad to see Glen getting a little emotional. I still hate Andrea. I'm not too against the creators changing things from the comics, but the way they're portraying Andrea is terrible. The Andrea from the comics shits on TV Andrea. Now, I didn't know the girl who plays Beth was a grown woman. I mean wow, I can say she's hot without feeling pedophilish. The Lori thing wasn't all that bad, Rick is going insane and has dealt with more than anyone else since waking up from his coma. And I agree with the decision to not let Merle in. Merle and Rick are just two people that would never get a long, even before the pre-apocalyptic so I would've sent him packing also. And that scene in which Darryl got his weapon back from that dude was awesome.

Edited by Tay, 11 February 2013 - 06:21 AM.

Ricktatorship

Ricktatorship

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 170 posts
rated it 'good'. Not the best for a premiere but there was a lot of character development.

Can't believe Rick's comments to Axel about Oscar. " he went out fighting." pretty harsh but he didn't know the guy so...

must admit the Lori scene scared particualry because it was 5:45am and i wasn't concentrating!

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
  • 256 posts
Rick going more bonkers just shows how difficult it is to bring a comic book to cable television and not seem super campy or cheesy. I mean Rick hasn't even gone through the grieving process of losing his wife along with the emotional weight of pretty much everything else that has happened since he came out of his coma, so he should be more than a little off base but it's hard to show that convincingly in a television show.

The Lori scenes had some sound associated with it, like walker chewing or some other sound they make.

Going back to when Glenn let out that primal roar after he killed that walker it was almost like he changed and after seeing him rip the walker out of the truck and monkey stomp his face in there is no doubt he has. Which is awesome, maybe it's him and Michonne who turn into a badass team.

I also dislike MID-SEASON finales as the episode after it has ass the wait and hype build up of a new season but can never quite deliver everything a season premiere as awesome as S3E1 did.

Edited by Grénádé, 11 February 2013 - 06:15 AM.

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 121 posts
I thought it was a decent episode but I wasn't blown away. Even though it's been off for months, the action picked up immediately from where it left off. I think a lot of us were expecting lots of character development, but we have to realize stuff JUST happened.

That being said, Andrea still sucks. I'm sorry. She's an embarrassment to women everywhere. Wasn't she a lawyer in her previous life? The Governor flat out told her he lied to her and held Glenn and Maggie captive and her response was "Don't drive me away." WHAT?!! Then she proceeds to clean up his mess with the town's folk after he goes all Apocalypse Now. Do the writers hate Andrea? I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Michonne but girl USE YOUR WORDS! That strong silent crap is screwing you over. She's coming off as a liar (by omission) to the group and considering Rick's mental state that's not a good thing. He's already paranoid and seeing visions. Ugh, I hope he isn't going down the Shane route. Remember how crazy he got before he was put out to pasture?

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
  • 256 posts
nvm

Edited by Grénádé, 11 February 2013 - 06:19 AM.

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 172 posts

For the record I had similar thoughts about her wanting to play house with Rick. Until I re-watched the episode.

She's talking about how she wanted a child, then says how bad it sucks that Daryl is gone and then camera cuts to the baby basket which has "little ass kicker" written on the side of it (Daryl's chosen nickname).

But no, Daryl hasn't batted an eye at her. She could change that, if she works at it a little I think.

Someone needs to hook up with Beth, and Rick is too busy seeing hallucinations of his dead wife.

At his age, Rick hooking up with Beth would be damn hard, he would probably become a hero to many men out there!
But Rick has gone crazy, if she was even considering that idea, she has most likely given up after seeing Rick yelling at a wall.

But I wish Carl would develop a crush on Beth, it would be pretty cool to hold on to that last bit of innocence on a fucked up world. And besides, Chandler Riggs seems like a cool kid, he deserves a taste of the honey, if you know what I mean :D

Edited by Drunktard, 11 February 2013 - 06:34 AM.

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • 664 posts
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?
The show did not live up to expectations that is for sure. As long as the show continues with this split personality between Woodbury and the Prison the storylines are not being fleshed out, which leads to them seeming contrived, boring, and unbelievable. I do NOT know why we are still wasting time on Andrea, terrible scenes, more wasted time, bad acting...the zombies in Woodbury come across with more life.

Now we are going to do a three way split now the Daryl and Merle are on their own???

HOW IN THE FUCK IS THAT GOING TO FIT INTO A 42 MIN SHOW???

This is just another example of why shit canning Mazzara might be a good thing, this cracked out 5 min episode bleeps we are getting may work for red-bulled fueled mental amebas but its not satisfying to anyone looking for an actual story to be told.

Nothing really made any sense this episode, most characters have been spun so far out of the range of understanding I am mystified! The Gov is depressed, Rick is hallucinating, Glenn has more post almost rape trauma then Maggie, Maggie is pouty over who the fuck knows, Beth wants to have a baby in the Zombie FUCKING Apocalypse, Daryl takes a mental and emotional dump on himself for Merle completely ignoring more then a year spent with folks who have been his family, Merle can't STFU for 5 mins so he can get somewhere safe when he has no weapons, the dumbasses in Woodbury try driving into a sea of walkers, the people at Woodbury take a complete stranger (Andrea LOL..ROFLMAO) to their hearts as a new messiah....seriously who wrote this episode??? Did they even watch any of the previous episodes from season 1, 2, or 3???

It was a fair episode, but other then jonesing for some zombie action, this episode felt like it pretty much insulted our intelligence.

Edited by PoleAxe, 11 February 2013 - 06:41 AM.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Only 3 pages? Wow, usually this thread is giant by this time of night.

I wonder if the ridiculously long mid-season break caused a lot of people to forget about the show. Read an interview where Gale Anne Hurd expressed some concern there.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationRick Grimes

At his age, Rick hooking up with Beth would be damn hard, he would probably become a hero to many men out there!

No, he wouldn't be a hero. He'd be a fucking pedophile. What the hell is this post?

DaltonioSpidey94

DaltonioSpidey94

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOhio
Rewatching it for a second time now. Loved the episode, probably one of my favorites. Here's some of my thoughts:

- Really disappointed that Haley was killed off so soon. I like the actress and thought she'd have a bigger role since they gave her some backstory.

- Daryl didn't get on my nerves at all this episode, loved that he sided with Merle

- Thought it was hilarious that Merle immediately started acting more like himself as soon as he was away from Woodbury.
- Please don't kill off Beth.

- As much as I like Andrea, I didn't really like her speech too much

- Surprised so many people didn't like the ending, I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite endings of the whole show

- Glenn is being soooooo annoying (imo). Ughhh

Edited by DaltonioSpidey94, 11 February 2013 - 06:59 AM.

Posted Image

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Rick going more bonkers just shows how difficult it is to bring a comic book to cable television and not seem super campy or cheesy. I mean Rick hasn't even gone through the grieving process of losing his wife along with the emotional weight of pretty much everything else that has happened since he came out of his coma, so he should be more than a little off base but it's hard to show that convincingly in a television show.

The Lori scenes had some sound associated with it, like walker chewing or some other sound they make.

Going back to when Glenn let out that primal roar after he killed that walker it was almost like he changed and after seeing him rip the walker out of the truck and monkey stomp his face in there is no doubt he has. Which is awesome, maybe it's him and Michonne who turn into a badass team.

I also dislike MID-SEASON finales as the episode after it has ass the wait and hype build up of a new season but can never quite deliver everything a season premiere as awesome as S3E1 did.

I saw Glenn's outburst a little differently. I saw it as Glenn being blinded by rage and hate, and how it could ultimately bring about harm to the group.

They need Daryl at the prison more than they know,now more than ever because of Rick's fragile mental state. And Daryl was right, they need Merle for more muscle because the governor is on the way to the prison. But Glenn is so consumed by his hate that it is causing him to make dangerous mistakes. The first mistake was letting Daryl get away when they desperately need him.

The same goes for Rick's paranoia of outsiders.

They need more muscle and they need it now, but Rick and Glenn are driving everyone away.

Edited by Deadpelican, 11 February 2013 - 07:03 AM.

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members
  • 509 posts
Meh....

The Woodbury scenes, post attack, didn't work for me, especially the Andrea speech.

I'm getting pretty sick of Michonne "the mute". At this point, she seems more like set decoration than a character.

The whole "ghost of (insert char here)" is not working for me AT all. First Shane, then Lori. Seems pretty stupid to me, and makes me hate Rick more and more as a character. Way to go AMC, you managed to turn a great character into a spineless twit.

At this point in the series, I've come to find the show mildly entertaining, but I'm not nearly as excited to watch it anymore owing to the shoddy handling of the story by AMC.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
  • 528 posts
1) 'Angry mob participant' is clearly not any of those Woodbury extra's strong suits

2) Michonne officially sucks, the writing for her character is so cheap. Oh wow, a silent badass that glares all the time. Never seen that before.

3) OK, so Michonne is too dangerous and unpredictable to live at the prison, but it's OK to show this person where you live and then send her off? Knowing there is another group that would definitely like to know that information?

4) 'Whoa whoa, I'm losing my grip here' - Tyreese, giant muscly man, referring to the maybe 130 lb corpse he was carrying, with the aid of another person.

5) Please god, no more fugue state Rick.

Other than the above, pretty good episode.

President Merle

President Merle

Biter

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationReleased early for good behavior...
I enjoyed the episode, though I agree it wasn't the best. My favourite bit is when Rick knocks out Merle with one shot! Lori's ghost creeped the shit out of me too, she reminded me of an elegant Samara from the Ring. Overall I think the episode was a little overhyped from the trailers, and all of the possible points of action were neutralised without chance to escalate. Good ep though.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
  • 96 posts

Meh....

The Woodbury scenes, post attack, didn't work for me, especially the Andrea speech.

I'm getting pretty sick of Michonne "the mute". At this point, she seems more like set decoration than a character.

The whole "ghost of (insert char here)" is not working for me AT all. First Shane, then Lori. Seems pretty stupid to me, and makes me hate Rick more and more as a character. Way to go AMC, you managed to turn a great character into a spineless twit.

At this point in the series, I've come to find the show mildly entertaining, but I'm not nearly as excited to watch it anymore owing to the shoddy handling of the story by AMC.

His wife just died only A FEW DAYS AGO, do you expect him not to lose his mind? . Would you rather him carry the phone with him like he did in the comics?

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationUp the Academy
The acting was kinda off, especially at the beginning. Everyone was saying "shut up" during the entire argument over Merle. I liked the interactions between Hershel and Tyreese although the dialogue about his backstory was too plain. I loved Tyreese's line "I must be the first brother in history to break into a prison" then Axel's "Makes me the first white boy that didn't wanna break out", lol. Chad Coleman is awesome, I'm interested in seeing him and Daryl on-screen together as well as Michonne.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the walking dead season 3, daryl, merle, the governor, rick, the prison, woodbury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!