The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 9 - The Suicide King - Review

the walking dead season 3 daryl merle the governor rick the prison woodbury

The Walking Dead Midseason Premiere - The Suicide King (211 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (90 [42.65%] - )

42.65%

2. Good - Some Critiques (84 [39.81%] - )

39.81%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (32 [15.17%] - )

15.17%

4. Poor (5 [2.37%] - )

2.37%

Darylrocks

Darylrocks

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEdmond,ok

This this this this. The episode was fine, but it wasn't good enough for a "premiere" if you will. Rick isn't acting insane. It actually is ridiculous. The ending scene wasn't powerful, it made my friends and family roar with laughter.

Everything else was fine. The minor characters are what made the show this evening.

I agree. The minor characters were the best part tonight. Felt bad for Hershel because he has to try and be the voice of reason with crazy Rick. And poor Carol broke my heart. Glad she was trying to be strong.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
In a deck of cards, the King of Hearts is called a suicide king, because he's depicted as stabbing himself in the head. It's apropo in several ways to Rick.
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

rumblepup

rumblepup

The Puppetmaster

• Administrators

In a deck of cards, the King of Hearts is called a suicide king, because he's depicted as stabbing himself in the head. It's appropo in several ways to Rick.

Awesome analogy! Didn't remember that until now. Thanks for adding.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Hmmm I thought the Lori scene was hokey. The Andrea speech at Woodbury was hokey. I understand that they are trying to set up how the characters felt and such, but I just didn't really like this episode that much. I wasn't very satisfied. I get that no one trusts each other and that Rick is psycho now, but the story didn't advance much in my opinion, other than the obvious - Rick's group got out of Woodbury and Merle.

I felt the Lori scene was hokey because she was in a white dress. I like Andrew Lincoln's acting whenever he looses his shit and goes a bit cray. I thought it was needed because they were showing parallels between how both Rick and the Gov are loosing it. I agree the story didn't advance much action wise but so much of the first half of the season was rushed this episode was much needed to fill in the blanks. I felt like all the dialogue in this episode served a purpose. I appreciated the pacing of the episode and things we found out (FINALLY things were revealed about Michonne), its more about the character's than the zombies anyway.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

"This is the hand we've been dealt."
-Rick

Okay, I guess I get it but I think with a couple of months to think on it I could come up with something several magnitudes better.
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members
So happy that the show is back!!!!! I'm really glad that the minor characters (Beth especially) got some extra development. Hate that Daryl separates from the group, but saw it coming. Love the way that they are setting up Tyreese's character. Hate how Andrea is still hanging around the governor. Love the Governor becoming his crazy comic self. Love/hate Rick's descent into craziness. Ahhhhhhhh!!!

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members
Did anyone else love little ass kickers personalized crib? Because I totally do!

bournesto33

bournesto33

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationtexas
Rick scene was a good way to end the episode, I feel Andrea is going to be the Martinez, just saying....why does everyone bash Andrews acting best on tv right now imo

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members
Just watched the first five minutes after the intro, since I may miss the first ten minutes due to family logistics. Gonna watch the last showing tonight, 11 p.m. PST. But those five minutes were pretty great, can't wait to see how Merle's presence messes up the group.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members
So it sucks then? Why are we still watching this crappy show? Worst show in the history of television!

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
Andrea's still annoying as hell (that speech she gave to her fellow citizens was just BEYOND cringe-worthy). If things such as this are the writers attempt to redeem her for the audience and make her more likable.....then something's wrong. DEADLY WRONG. Michonne, though obviously to a lesser extent, is still fairly annoying as well. Oh wow, you still can't speak. RIGHT ON.

I loved Carol and Hershel's scenes however; they were the main highlights of the episode for me. It helped that McBride and Wilson's performances were top-notch, as always (AV Club also pointed this out). I know and accept that Hershel has to die sooner or later, but Carol better stay, especially after tonight. If she's picked off any time soon, there's gonna be hell to pay.

Kind of on the same note, I'm frustrated too by how Sarah Wayne Callies is still credited as a main for the show. Okay, she's made two cameos since the fourth episode, but.....come on. That space could be filled with McBride and or Wilson's names, a promotion which they more than deserve.

Darylrocks

Darylrocks

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEdmond,ok

Andrea's still annoying as hell (that speech she gave to her fellow citizens was just BEYOND cringe-worthy). If this is the writers attempts to redeem her for the audience and make her more likable.....then something's wrong. DEADLY WRONG. Michonne, though obviously to a lesser extent, is still fairly annoying as well. Oh wow, you still can't speak. RIGHT ON.

I loved Carol and Hershel's scenes however; they were the main highlights of the episode for me. It helped that McBride and Wilson's performances were top-notch, as always. I know Hershel has to die sooner or later, but Carol better stay, especially after tonight. If she's picked off, there's gonna be hell to pay.

Kind of on the same note, I'm kinda frustrated too how Sarah Wayne Callies is still credited for the show. I mean, yeah, she's made two cameos since the fourth episode, but.....come on. That empty space could be filled with McBride and or Wilson's names, a promotion which they more than deserve.

You took the thoughts right out of my head. That is scary. Melissa and Scott were outstanding tonight. They need them on the show to keep things normal with all the crazy stuff that is going on with Rick.

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy

So it sucks then? Why are we still watching this crappy show? Worst show in the history of television!

So why are you still commenting here?

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I'm still watching it because I think it's the greatest thing on TV.

Why are you still watching it if you think it sucks?

And why are you here?

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Ill admit I liked it so much I started coming up with nicknames for Daryl. Kid rock looking crossbow woods men samurai won. Plus merle cant stay on his feet near rick. Lol also axel finally got himself a wardrobe.

When did Rick last sleep?

Zombeemom

Zombeemom

Lurker

• Members
For a much as I was looking forward to this night, I have to admit I was slightly disappointed. Good grief, I don't think I can take much more of andrea. Every season, she has been all high and mighty, this season just makes that worse. Its like she's the first lady, stepping up, appeasing the masses while her man gets his crap together. Really?! After all she's seen and learned now, she still stands there defending all this?! For as strong and stubborn as she is, she didn't fight for Daryl too hard, or when she found out about Glenn and Maggie. She's such a dumbass.

Rick clocking Merle was great. I'm sad that Daryl didn't think longer about leaving the group for him though. I understand why he did what he did, but I'm still sad he was that quick to leave everyone. It was nice that Carol understands what he's thinking though, shows how they connected.

Rick, poor Rick, you need to take some time, sit down, have a drink and relax. Think about it, this whole season, the only time we've even seen him sit down was for one minute when they cleared out the cell block. Oh, and after he butchered the lori eating walker. Get that man a beer!

Rague

Rague

S-mart Employee

• Members

Loved it. We got some good character development and that's what we needed.

I forgot how much I hated Merle. Literally I wanted to put a knife through him and I would have had no regrets.

Yeah, good to see Meryl back to his good ol' asshole personality. Loved Rick's response: doesn't even question where Meryl's been, just clocks him. Their stances on each other haven't changed.

I knew Daryl was leaving the group but for some reason I did not think about the ramifications at all. I completely forgot/didn't think about how Carol would feel. Her reaction was so realistic and you can tell she was trying to be so strong.

I like Carol. She's not a "shover" like Lori is.

Lori: (finds out Rick killed Shane like she wanted and Carl is finally manning up) shoves Rick away, then gets upset when he breaks the truth to everyone, then acts all wompy when he starts acting distant.

Carol: (finds out Daryl left and picked his scum of an older brother over her) Takes it like a wo-man and doesn't penalize him for it.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

I'm still watching it because I think it's the greatest thing on TV.

Why are you still watching it if you think it sucks?

And why are you here?

I was being sarcastic. It was a fantastic episode. Not perfect, but what is?

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationColchester, England.
Excellent episode!

It had some good character development and the ending freaked me out, Andrew Lincoln is fantastic!

Can't wait for the next 7!!

bournesto33

bournesto33

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationtexas

I was being sarcastic. It was a fantastic episode. Not perfect, but what is?

jesus was

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
Come on Maggie! You have a fucking sniper rifle, aim for the important targets, not a random girl!

I wonder what is going on inside Rick's head right now.
"I've got a war ahead of me, my enemy has more people and more guns than I do. I've just lost Oscar and Daryl who are probably the 2 strongest people on my team right now. What should I do? I better kick out the katana-wielding ninja and this whole bunch of people who wanna help. I don't need them, we can win the war with a baby, 2 kids, a one-legged old man and injuried glenn."

I know he has learned the hard way not to trust other people, but right now he doesn't really have a choice, unless he wants to give up the prison.

At the scene with the broken car across the road Gleen was badass! But I just think he over reacted a bit about Maggie. So the governor saw your girlfriend's delicious funbags, so what? Get over it already, something much worse could have happened, just be glad she is ok and move on.

Btw has anyone else noticed that Beth also carries a gun? I didn't know that up until today. I wonder how good she is with it.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
Didn't think it was a top episode for this season, but it was a good one for me. Things that were noteworthy:

- I'm really feeling for Rick. Lots of people thought it hallucination was lame, but I think it's just sad. It is no suprise at all that Rick is falling apart all over the place. At this point, he is hemorrhaging people, and nothing he does can stop the flow. Trusting new people is out. NOT trusting new people could get the ones he knows and loves killed. Any decision he makes, however well intentioned, seems to end with someone being gone - dead or leaving. Losing Daryl was just another failure in his mind that he couldn't seem to do anything about. It's been what, a week? since Lori died. I'm not blaming him for being on the brink of emotional implosion.

- Daryl leaving...ugh...Daryl, PLEASE come back. I understand why he went, and I understand why he went without even much consideration. Honestly, what choice did he have? His choice was either, leave you brother, the only blood you have left in the world, probably forever...or leave the new family you have made. There was no compromise option available. He couldn't just abandon his brother. But I HATE the group being split up. I just want them to be all together again, Andrea too. I hope that it'll only be another episode or so before Daryl is back at the prison. But will Merle be with him?

- Loved Hershel tonight. So sad that I feel like he'll be on the chopping block eventually. He is just such a grounding force on the show, he makes me feel calm. :)

- Love Carol. I cannot WAIT to see what happen when Daryl gets back to the prison. I hope there are some sort of fireworks. I love how they really "get" each other. Daryl knew she would understand, and she did, even though it was really painful for her. I also loved Beth's reaction, she is very right, they are so much weaker without him, and he can't come back soon enough! I'm so happy that Daryl is such an appreciated part of the group at this point, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

- I most definitely got a romantic vibe from the Beth peck on the cheek moment. If she has a crush on him, I completely don't blame her - if anything, Rick just keeps getting hotter as the seasons go on - but this could get very weird. Was I misreading the chemistry there? I hope she was just "thanking" him for bringing Maggie and Glenn back, but that seems like a bizarre way to do it.

- Speaking of chemistry - I don't view it as romantic, but man do I love the dynamic that has developed this season between Carol and Rick. What a change from last season. Somehow, I get the feeling that Rick draws strength from Carol, like he can let the mask slip when he is in front of her. :wub:

- I'm still pretty meh about Woodbury. I just want them to be overrun already. People, you have NO IDEA what is waiting for you outside those walls.

mplebanon

mplebanon

Infected

• Members
Lots of tension and conflict.

Michonne - how does she fit in?
Andrea - knows her friends are alive but feels a sense of loyalty to the Governor, and he is losing it.
Glenn - ready to kick some ass after having his handed to him.
Maggie - ready to kick some ass after being violated.
Darryl - pitted against his brother, then escaping with him, only to have to choose his brother Merle over the group that has embraced him.
Merle - tortured Glenn and Maggie, and now he forced Darryl to choose him over the group
Tyrese - seems like a good, reasonable guy but now witnessed Rick losing his mind.......what does he think now?
Maggie's sister - what's up with her kissing Rick's cheek when he returned? Future romance?
Herschel - the new Dale, voice of reason?
Karl - stoic and tough as ever
Carol - what's she to do now that Darryl has chosen Merle over the group, and namely her?
Rick - what's up with him losing his mind? Is he losing control?
Governor - now has that eyepatch, bad guy look. Losing his mind like Rick. War on the horizon?

Then in the preview of next week, Glenn and Michonne plot to strike the Governor now and take him out before he can attack. Hmmmm.

Lots of plot conflict and tension. I thought it rebounded a bit tonight. Good show.

Not so high on the ghost of Laurie plot. But other than that, I liked it.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

- I most definitely got a romantic vibe from the Beth peck on the cheek moment. If she has a crush on him, I completely don't blame her - if anything, Rick just keeps getting hotter as the seasons go on - but this could get very weird. Was I misreading the chemistry there? I hope she was just "thanking" him for bringing Maggie and Glenn back, but that seems like a bizarre way to do it.

She gave Rick a peck on the cheek, but the only man she actually talked about was Daryl.. said the place is weak without him, and she's pissed at him for leaving.

I think she's hot for Daryl.

If Daryl doesn't fuck Beth when he gets back, I loose all respect for him.

I knew people would talk smack about the Lori hallucination scene, but I thought it was well-done. It's not like she was glowing or had wings and a halo.

It was quite disturbing actually because her face was shadowy.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Yea the manpower of the group has really declined.

Come on Maggie! You have a fucking sniper rifle, aim for the important targets, not a random girl!

I wonder what is going on inside Rick's head right now.
"I've got a war ahead of me, my enemy has more people and more guns than I do. I've just lost Oscar and Daryl who are probably the 2 strongest people on my team right now. What should I do? I better kick out the katana-wielding ninja and this whole bunch of people who wanna help. I don't need them, we can win the war with a baby, 2 kids, a one-legged old man and injuried glenn."

I know he has learned the hard way not to trust other people, but right now he doesn't really have a choice, unless he wants to give up the prison.

At the scene with the broken car across the road Gleen was badass! But I just think he over reacted a bit about Maggie. So the governor saw your girlfriend's delicious funbags, so what? Get over it already, something much worse could have happened, just be glad she is ok and move on.

Btw has anyone else noticed that Beth also carries a gun? I didn't know that up until today. I wonder how good she is with it.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!