The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 9 - The Suicide King - Review

the walking dead season 3 daryl merle the governor rick the prison woodbury

The Walking Dead Midseason Premiere - The Suicide King (211 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (90 [42.65%] - )

42.65%

2. Good - Some Critiques (84 [39.81%] - )

39.81%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (32 [15.17%] - )

15.17%

4. Poor (5 [2.37%] - )

2.37%

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Rick has got everything on his shoulders. Its been clearly stated severak times hes in a twist over his sense of mortality and what he has to do.

For the most part I liked the episode. I agree with Rick not taking Merle back, and while I don't agree with Daryl going with Merle, I completely understand it. I refuse to look too closely at Maggie shooting Haley instead of the gov., that way I can just pretend she was trying to take him out and Haley got in the way...;-)

I've been on Andrea's side this whole season on her vs. Michonne, and this last episode just proves me out. IMO, Michonne is being portrayed as ridiculous in order to move the plot along and score some 'dramatic' moments. I hope she either opens up or they kick her to the curb. I keep hearing about how Andrea should have all this loyalty to Michonne after all their time together, but Michonne was willing to risk Andrea being killed, not just once, but twice now, just to what, keep from telling people Andrea is in Woodbury? Oh, I can see how that would be such a difficult decision, NOT.

I also am having a difficult time following Rick's meltdown. It just doesn't make that much sense to me. I get he's been through a lot, but so has everyone else, especially Carl, and he seems to be maintaining reasonably well. It doesn't fly with me someone with Rick's background and the way he has been portrayed is so fragile.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Dang, good catch. Glad you get my point, though.

It has absolutely nothing to do with me watching every episode roughly 500 times.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Carl has just as much reason to take all this on himself and be as crazy as Rick, but he's not.

The pressure of the responsibility for the group still isn't on Carl. However, I do agree that Carl has plenty of reasons to be having a breakdown at this point. But not everyone reacts to traumatic events the same. Carl entered the apocalypse at a tender age, still having his mind formed. I think that could be a crucial difference - Carl is growing up in this new world, and Rick lived in the old one. It might actually be a harder adjustment for the adults than the kids. Anyway, we don't have to agree on this.

I found Herschal's craziness (thinking there was a cure) plausible, Shane's descent into madness didn't really make much sense to me, and Rick's is way over the top. Michonne, I don't know what her problem is, but even going so far as to say she had no idea whatsoever Andrea was associated with anyone at the prison (pffftttt) she was still willing to let Andrea get killed in the crossfire or whatever just because Andrea didn't leave Woodbury with her? No, "Hey, I have a delusional blonde friend in there, so try not to shoot her" to anyone before they raided the town, nothing. No excuse for her in my mind, period.

I found Shane's madness to be pretty understandable, actually..and I've already explained why I don't think Rick's is over the top. However, I agree that I just don't know what to make of Michonne. I don't think they've done a very good job up until now helping us understand what drives her and where her head is at. Right now she is an enigma, and not in a good way. I find myself not really cheering for her, or caring what happens to her. Not a good sign for a character that is supposed to ooze cool! I thought she would end up being a female Daryl...

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

It has absolutely nothing to do with me watching every episode roughly 500 times.

Tell me about it. I find myself always gravitating back to it on Netflix.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I found Shane's madness to be pretty understandable, actually..and I've already explained why I don't think Rick's is over the top. However, I agree that I just don't know what to make of Michonne. I don't think they've done a very good job up until now helping us understand what drives her and where her head is at. Right now she is an enigma, and not in a good way. I find myself not really cheering for her, or caring what happens to her. Not a good sign for a character that is supposed to ooze cool! I thought she would end up being a female Daryl...

I don't have a problem with any of it (I'm probably one of the few who feels this way).

The way I see it, Michonne was on her own for god knows how long- just her and two pet walkers. That doesn't do much for a person's social skills let alone her mental state.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
I try to put myself in Michonne's shoes, trying to be as paranoid and careful as I can possibly be.
She is aware that she is more than capable to live in this world on her on. She could handle herself around walkers before, and now she has a new camouflage trick so it would be even easier. So she couldn't care less if they kick her out on her own.
At the same time, she is feeling tired and weak because of her wound, so a safe place to spend a few days sounds nice.
While she is spending time at the prison she doesn't want to give any information that could be used against her, which is probably why she doesnt talk at all.

Michonne's skills enabled her to live in this world on her own, she can handle the dead and the living on a fight, so the most likely way she would die is if she was betrayed by someone she trusts, and that won't happen if she trusts nobody.

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Roamer

• Members
They're playing it four days late again in Taiwan (Thursday night our time), so most of everything's already been said, but...

1) The opening fight was bad. Why punch walkers instead of causing panic by attacking their handlers and releasing them?- remember, the crowd doesn't know they've been defanged and declawed.

2) Given that you know the guys who just attacked your town did so to release two of their fellows, wouldn't it occur to you that they might come back after you've captured another member of their group?

Other than that, pretty good.

-Certainly hope Darryl and Merle come back into the picture.

-Yea, Mute Michonne is getting a little ridiculous. (Writers: "Can a girl talk and and be a badass at the same time?")

-Andrea steps up! (Finally!). Her speech wasn't exactly "he who sheds his bood with me shall be my brother", but it did the trick. Could have skipped the hugs in favour of a rousing cheer at the end- "Woo-Woo-Woodbury!" Glad to see she's starting to show a little contempt for the Gov. I think it started with his "We're survivors, not soldiers" in Season 3.0

-Beth is developing, in every way. In Season 2 there were two incidences concerned with her and sex: the first one, where Maggie tells the story of Beth trashing Maggie's birth control pills, and the second where Beth says she had only been going out with Jimmy for a few weeks and everybody was acting as if he was her husband. Both cases of Beth being young and pushing back against sexuality and/or growing up, age-appropriately enough.

In Season 3 we have Carl's crush, Axel's hitting on her, her saying she wanted to have a baby, and The Kiss- which definitely was romantic- our little Beth is growing up. Given the shortage of males around, it's entirely natural that she could develop a crush of her own on Rick, thinking that they might make a happy little family. Of course Carl might have his own ideas, figuring "Beth and me and Baby makes three", with Daddy as a spare wheel- don't be turning your back on the boy too often, Rick, given those Damien-type glares he's starting to cast around.

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla

-Andrea steps up! (Finally!). Her speech wasn't exactly "he who sheds his bood with me shall be my brother", but it did the trick. Could have skipped the hugs in favour of a rousing cheer at the end- "Woo-Woo-Woodbury!" Glad to see she's starting to show a little contempt for the Gov. I think it started with his "We're survivors, not soldiers" in Season 3.0

I agree with almost everything you said, but not this: I think the writers just missed the opportunity to reunite Andrea to Rick's group where she belongs. Now she's stuck in Woodbury... and why? She knows the Governor is fucked up, she knows that Rick only broke into Woodbury to rescue Glenn and Maggie, she knows about the sick fights-with-zombies... ANDREA, GO AWAY FROM THERE!!!!!!
Make love not war!

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Good points thou I dont think the walkers were defanged. I maybe wrong thou.

They're playing it four days late again in Taiwan (Thursday night our time), so most of everything's already been said, but...

1) The opening fight was bad. Why punch walkers instead of causing panic by attacking their handlers and releasing them?- remember, the crowd doesn't know they've been defanged and declawed.

2) Given that you know the guys who just attacked your town did so to release two of their fellows, wouldn't it occur to you that they might come back after you've captured another member of their group?

Other than that, pretty good.

-Certainly hope Darryl and Merle come back into the picture.

-Yea, Mute Michonne is getting a little ridiculous. (Writers: "Can a girl talk and and be a badass at the same time?")

-Beth is developing, in every way. In Season 2 there were two incidences concerned with her and sex: the first one, where Maggie tells the story of Beth trashing Maggie's birth control pills, and the second where Beth says she had only been going out with Jimmy for a few weeks and everybody was acting as if he was her husband. Both cases of Beth being young and pushing back against sexuality and/or growing up, age-appropriately enough.

In Season 3 we have Carl's crush, Axel's hitting on her, her saying she wanted to have a baby, and The Kiss- which definitely was romantic- our little Beth is growing up. Given the shortage of males around, it's entirely natural that she could develop a crush of her own on Rick, thinking that they might make a happy little family. Of course Carl might have his own ideas, figuring "Beth and me and Baby makes three", with Daddy as a spare wheel- don't be turning your back on the boy too often, Rick, given those Damien-type glares he's starting to cast around.

Walker_fan

Walker_fan

S-mart Employee

• Members
Just realised after a rewatch Carl says he found tyreese and his group in the gyms
I'm on my phone so I can't have a spoiler tag I don't know if this is a spoiler anyway but I just put up the link.

Spoiler

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Just realised after a rewatch Carl says he found tyreese and his group in the gyms
I'm on my phone so I can't have a spoiler tag I don't know if this is a spoiler anyway but I just put up the link.

Spoiler

Even on your phone you can manually add tags.
Like this:

Walker_fan

Walker_fan

S-mart Employee

• Members
I still can't see it on the mobile site

I think I understand now so if I need to add a spoiler tag I just type the spoiler like this
Spoiler

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon
The rescue scene was amateurish, fire the guy who advises on weapon use, full auto??? Im calling BS on that one. I'm only 5 minutes into it so far.

Will give my running commentary.

Acting so far is wooden.

One of the walkers actually got winded when Merle kicked it in the stomach. Ridiculous.

Cliched and poorly scripted.

This is not about Walkers anymore. But about human vs human. Sad to see a great concept go downhill, this is more like that show "Jericho" now. I was hoping that this wouldn't happen.

Oh God that michonne is so annoying, she has the same expression.

now we have 4 more characters in the prison. Yawn.

Mr denim jacket man will die, so obvious.

So far about as good as one of the webispodes.

The plus side they havent shown any little children murdered yet.

let's push a truck really slowly and argue loudly whilst a dozen walkers descend on them. And yet the world was taken over by these slow walking zombies?????

Woodbury is lame.

Halfway through so far.

Not a good verdict.

Boring, poor acting. Ridiculous use of the weapons. Bad plot. Dreadful scripting.

They must have some pretty good groomers out there. Plucked eye brows, hair cuts.

Oh look there's that sheriffs bag again, that should create a few new threads.

i think the young blonde has eyes for rick.

a lame protest in woodbury.....i'd rather be seeing a real survival show right now......

Must be a nail and spa in woodbury, the women are too groomed too well not to have one....

What a boring episode so far.....

Nice touch with Herschel and Glenn "your like my own son".

Want to see more of that rather than "Jericho" style towns fighting one another.

ZOMBIES!!!!! This show should be about surviving the zombie apocalypse not dealing with a bunch of suburbanites living in woodbury wanting to take over the World!!

7 Minutes left of the show thankfully.

Glad I never watched this on Sunday. I can forward wind the adverts.

I like the 2 groups in the prison meeting. Good acting, back to how the show should be.

Lori hallucination was beyond pathetic.

Ouch, i'll watch the rest of this show on netflix in a year or so if I can be bothered.

So disappointing.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

The rescue scene was amateurish, fire the guy who advises on weapon use, full auto??? Im calling BS on that one. I'm only 5 minutes into it so far.

Will give my running commentary.

Let me stop you there. How about you watch the whole thing, collect your thoughts and come back.

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Roamer

• Members

I agree with almost everything you said, but not this: I think the writers just missed the opportunity to reunite Andrea to Rick's group where she belongs. Now she's stuck in Woodbury... and why? She knows the Governor is fucked up, she knows that Rick only broke into Woodbury to rescue Glenn and Maggie, she knows about the sick fights-with-zombies... ANDREA, GO AWAY FROM THERE!!!!!!

I dunno, I really can't see her blending back into the group- she herself pointed out she never really fit in in the first place, and the others have done a lot of coalescing and changing over the winter- I can't really see a place for her.

Interested to see what's going to happen. Now she knows who the "terrorists" are, and as you pointed out, knows about Glen and Maggie, she shouldn't be gung-ho about attacking the prison, though its clear the Governor is- it should (emphasise "should") lead to a clash between her and her man.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

Let me stop you there. How about you watch the whole thing, collect your thoughts and come back.

I did watch the whole "thing", you obviously didn't read my whole "thing".

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

I did watch the whole "thing", you obviously didn't read my whole "thing".

I meant stop doing that ridiculous 'type as I watch' stuff.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon
Here's a few reviews I simply "googled". It's looking too great, audiences will slowly leave if the show stays at this pace and plot.
I personally feel that the show is stuck in a rut. Check out these reviews, and these are reviews from some serious journals, not some cheetos eating nerd on blogspot.

http://www.theyorker...g-dead-season-3

http://www.forbes.co...n-3-went-wrong/

http://www.guardian....ee-episode-nine

Check out the reader comments on the last review, in the Guardian, a readership of millions in the UK. It's not looking good I hate to tell you.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

I meant stop doing that ridiculous 'type as I watch' stuff.

I guess you wont be reading my next weeks "type as I watch" review?

Bet you do though LOL!!!

Kneelbeforegod

Kneelbeforegod

Roamer

• Members
Leon, it is the highest rated show out there, if you don't like it you don't need to watch it. furthermore, if you don't like the whole "Jericho" thing as you put it, you're really going to hate the series moving forward....

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Leon, it is the highest rated show out there, if you don't like it you don't need to watch it. furthermore, if you don't like the whole "Jericho" thing as you put it, you're really going to hate the series moving forward....

Ugh, I am so sick of hearing that whole Jericho thing anyway...I remember liking Jericho tbh, and was pissed it got cancelled (both times).

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere
I'm still amazed at how leon went from the most annoying TWD supporter ever to the most annoying TWD hater ever. It just boggles the mind.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

I'm still amazed at how leon went from the most annoying TWD supporter ever to the most annoying TWD hater ever. It just boggles the mind.

I dont hate it, i'm just over critical now, thanks to everyone on here. I just don't think that the last weeks episode was all that good. And i've a bad feeling that it's all gonna go downhill from here on out. Hopefully tonight's episode will be ground breaking and wonderful and there will be 20 million viewers for the rest of the season. The reviews i've been reading have not been as forgiving as some of you on here.

I'm just keeping it real.

kimWALKER

kimWALKER

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNorth Carolina
"Suicide Kings" left me a little flat. All weekend was all Walking Dead on AMC, and then we get just a few minutes of Rick and everybody in Woodbury. Wasn't a bad episode, but not what I was thirsting for after waiting for 3 months.

Also, I loved Jericho as well and was royally pissed off at CBS. Let's all be very thankful TWD is on AMC and not one of the has-been networks.

I can see the prison/Woodbury-Jericho/New Bern thing, but at the same time you have to have something other than zombie's threatening the group. It adds to the show I think. Let Jake Green and Robert Hawkins show up!!

If I may, let me add that this is my first, oh, 15 minutes as a member of this site. Hello :). I'm Kim and I'm from Wilmington, NC and to get to the heart of the matter, after episodes I have so much energy and nothing to do with it till morning when I see my friends (fellow walker watchers) at work. I need this site and very happy to have found it!!

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere

I dont hate it, i'm just over critical now, thanks to everyone on here. I just don't think that the last weeks episode was all that good. And i've a bad feeling that it's all gonna go downhill from here on out. Hopefully tonight's episode will be ground breaking and wonderful and there will be 20 million viewers for the rest of the season. The reviews i've been reading have not been as forgiving as some of you on here.

I'm just keeping it real.

Nah, I consider myself and many other on this forum 'critical'. The way you go about criticizing the series is more akin to what a 'hater' is like.

And no, leon, TWD is not 'dying', at all. I feel it's lacking in quality too but even I can't deny its popularity. No, TWD will be around for a while.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!