The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 9 - The Suicide King - Review

the walking dead season 3 daryl merle the governor rick the prison woodbury

The Walking Dead Midseason Premiere - The Suicide King (211 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (90 [42.65%] - )

42.65%

2. Good - Some Critiques (84 [39.81%] - )

39.81%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (32 [15.17%] - )

15.17%

4. Poor (5 [2.37%] - )

2.37%

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

Go ahead, but you might want to read the post I was replying to, and the definition of "age of majority"

Yeah I did. The post where you argue that womanhood is relative to age. It's not. Teens are physically, scientifically not adults.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

Yeah I did. The post where you argue that womanhood is relative to age. It's not. Teens are physically, scientifically not adults.

That is NOT what I argued. Age of majority means legally an adult. No longer a minor.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
My mistake.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

{snip}

Another point: I think the director is assuming that we realize there are conversations happening between the characters that we do not witness. For example, Michonne could have (not realistic, I know, but there's the possibility) filled Glenn in on a few things while they were waiting for everyone to come back. Michonne wouldn't have known Carol's name but she did watch everyone's reactions when they saw Carol for the first time after Daryl saved her. Michonne and Glenn were sitting there for several hours and the thought that they just sat there in silence for that whole amount of time seems far fetched.

{snip}

Heh, Michonne's continued silence seems far-fetched, too, but they're keeping up with it. When I watched it a second time and they cut back to Michonne and Glenn just standing there, all I could think was that Glenn was in freakin' agony, having to sit there for a couple of hours with the conversational equivalent of a rock.

I've just rewatched and noticed something that I didnt before.
At woodbury after the smokebombs went off Andrea was yelling for Daryl, it almost seemed to me like she was trying to follow him and rejoin with the group. Thats when she found Hailey's body, maybe she's changed her mind then? Maybe she thought her group has changed after she's seen them killing a little girl?

Yeah, I heard that on a second viewing, too. Went back a couple of times, and I'm still not entirely sure that she was saying "Daryl," but it makes sense.

Oh, and for those worried that Daryl's not coming back? Don't worry, he has to - his brother's motorcycle is still at the prison! Heck, they'll go back for that, if nothing else.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

Oh, and for those worried that Daryl's not coming back? Don't worry, he has to - his brother's motorcycle is still at the prison! Heck, they'll go back for that, if nothing else.

Guess who is going to be on the 'Bitch' seat?

Kneelbeforegod

Kneelbeforegod

Roamer

• Members

I'd like to speak for the evolved male contingent and say that, yes, the actress who plays Beth looks like a 15 year old that just popped out of the womb and there's nothing sexy about that.

yes, I think we can all agree with you that Is not sexy....she just looks too old. lol....this is waaay too much discussion into whethere or not Beth is sexy.

Iis Hungree

Iis Hungree

Infected

• Members

If they are female humans of the age of majority, then they are women. Regardless of what you think of their choices.

Also, keep in mind that these women you know are not living in a ZA. As I said, that changes what women will look for in a man. Lumber jacks would be far more valuable than lawyers and accountants.

Ok so here is another woman's take on this. First off, sensitivity and strength are two endearing characteristics that women look for in a man... whether said man is a lumberjack or lawyer is irrelevant. And when I say strength, I mean strength of character, not really physical brute strength. Now, if these two qualities were present and then the man was also physically strong, that would be just great, no doubt about it.

About the episode, I liked it all, except for the unnecessary dialogue in Woodbury, which came across as pretty weak. And I fell that Andrea's speech could have been way better. Totally got Glen's rage and helplessness, Daryl's need to leave with his brother, Rick's insanity and the overall desperation. Michonne needs to say a few more words though.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

As I said, that changes what women will look for in a man. Lumber jacks would be far more valuable than lawyers and accountants.

lol. Okay, yes. I'll concede that in a ZA lumberjacks would be more valuable and attractive than a lawyer or accountant. But not more valuable or attractive than a cop, firefighter, paramedic, engineer or farmer. :)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

lol. Okay, yes. I'll concede that in a ZA lumberjacks would be more valuable and attractive than a lawyer or accountant. But not more valuable or attractive than a cop, firefighter, paramedic, engineer or farmer. :)

Agreed.

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?

Wait are you saying, "It is the time of the ZA, and lumberjacks are not okay." I am deeply disturbed by that thought.

Sorry just a Monty Python moment.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Wait are you saying, "It is the time of the ZA, and lumberjacks are not okay." I am deeply disturbed by that thought.

Sorry just a Monty Python moment.

Lumberjacks are always okay. So is Spam. And Knights who say "Ni."
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

True, but you might want to read the winds here to see if it is wise.

For the purposes of this thread, I shall say no more about the subject in question.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

J.A.C.

J.A.C.

Infected

• Members
I thought it was a really good episode and am glad the show is back from the break.
Daryl was awesome as usual, especially when he took his crossbow back. I, too, heard Andrea yell for Daryl. Andrea has been driving me nuts this season with her stupidity but I hope it all turns around and she redeems herself in the best way I can think (killing the Gov).

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

I thought it was a really good episode and am glad the show is back from the break.
Daryl was awesome as usual, especially when he took his crossbow back. I, too, heard Andrea yell for Daryl. Andrea has been driving me nuts this season with her stupidity but I hope it all turns around and she redeems herself in the best way I can think (killing the Gov).

I don't think Andrea is a strong enough character to pull it off, but she might finally come to her senses and help Michonne kill him.

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members
For the most part I liked the episode. I agree with Rick not taking Merle back, and while I don't agree with Daryl going with Merle, I completely understand it. I refuse to look too closely at Maggie shooting Haley instead of the gov., that way I can just pretend she was trying to take him out and Haley got in the way...;-)

I've been on Andrea's side this whole season on her vs. Michonne, and this last episode just proves me out. IMO, Michonne is being portrayed as ridiculous in order to move the plot along and score some 'dramatic' moments. I hope she either opens up or they kick her to the curb. I keep hearing about how Andrea should have all this loyalty to Michonne after all their time together, but Michonne was willing to risk Andrea being killed, not just once, but twice now, just to what, keep from telling people Andrea is in Woodbury? Oh, I can see how that would be such a difficult decision, NOT.

I also am having a difficult time following Rick's meltdown. It just doesn't make that much sense to me. I get he's been through a lot, but so has everyone else, especially Carl, and he seems to be maintaining reasonably well. It doesn't fly with me someone with Rick's background and the way he has been portrayed is so fragile.

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay
Ok, finally got a chance to see it last night and will rate it a B+. One thing caught my eye, when everyone at Woodbury was gathered around the Governors house for Andreas speech, did anyone else notice that (A) there were far less people there than i imagined, and (B) A lot of them were women and children. I didn't really notice a super lot of manpower to protect Woodbury and or protect Woodbury and go attack the prison. I only saw about maybe 10 guys carrying weapons. I think the majority of the people in Woodbury are unarmed. Just an observation.......
Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

glennismine

glennismine

Infected

• Members
Wow, the writers must be really kicking themselves on the Lori thing. I haven't seen one review that didn't say they hated that.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

Wow, the writers must be really kicking themselves on the Lori thing. I haven't seen one review that didn't say they hated that.

As stated before, the writers need to ignore the reviews and critics and forge ahead with their vision.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I keep hearing about how Andrea should have all this loyalty to Michonne after all their time together, but Michonne was willing to risk Andrea being killed, not just once, but twice now, just to what, keep from telling people Andrea is in Woodbury? Oh, I can see how that would be such a difficult decision, NOT.

Why would Michonne know that Andrea used to belong to this group(before Rick made it obvious)? Maybe she would know, maybe she would recognise the names..but that isn't confirmed so I"m not going to jump down her throat just yet.

I also am having a difficult time following Rick's meltdown. It just doesn't make that much sense to me. I get he's been through a lot, but so has everyone else, especially Carl, and he seems to be maintaining reasonably well. It doesn't fly with me someone with Rick's background and the way he has been portrayed is so fragile.

I think Rick has more emotionally to deal with than anyone, and on top of all that, he has the responsibility for the survival of the entire group hanging over his head. Andrew Lincoln has said it before - Rick is the type of person who punishes himself when bad things happen, even if he couldn't do anything about it. So everyone they've lost, in his mind, they are on HIM. And losing a parent isn't the same thing as losing a spouse...when my Dad died, I was able to come to terms with it much easier than my Mom. And that doesn't even count the destruction of his marriage through Lori's "betrayal" or him killing his own best friend. Carl didn't kill the man he looked up to - he killed a walker who looked like the man he used to know. That's different than driving the knife into your best friends gut and watching the life go out of his eyes.(after having your best friend try to kill you)

I don't think anyone that we've seen is under the same conditions as Rick. And being a deputy doesn't prepare you for the apocalypse.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Ok, finally got a chance to see it last night and will rate it a B+. One thing caught my eye, when everyone at Woodbury was gathered around the Governors house for Andreas speech, did anyone else notice that (A) there were far less people there than i imagined, and ( B) A lot of them were women and children. I didn't really notice a super lot of manpower to protect Woodbury and or protect Woodbury and go attack the prison. I only saw about maybe 10 guys carrying weapons. I think the majority of the people in Woodbury are unarmed. Just an observation.......

Yeah, I counted about 30-odd people around. I assume some are up on the walls ... or, ya know, maybe hunting around for more walkers inside. I found it kind of preposterous that three walkers could wander around Woodbury that long and not be dispatched, or even noticed. And, how did the guy who got bit get caught by one, out in the open like that?

Oh, and the thing about Rick? We have to remember that just a year ago, he was a cop - not someone who regularly shoots and kills people. He's had to do it a number of times now, and he's becoming pretty cold-blooded about it, which I'm sure kind of messes with his head and sense of identity. Remember, in the first two seasons, he'd still tell people "I'm a cop." I don't think he's said that this season.

On a related note, I don't like the aplomb with which Maggie is shooting and killing people. Mazzara mentioned it in the EW interview:

By the way, please note that Maggie has now killed someone else. She has now killed two people. She killed one person with the bone in the last episode and now she shot this girl. So she’s becoming quite an accomplished soldier, and without any hesitation.

If anyone should have a break down, it's her.

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla
I love TWD, and as a result I appreciated most of the last episode (for example, Herschel, Rick, Carol and Tyreese were great). However, as someone already said in this thread, a lot of things seem rushed/far-fetched to me:

* Andrea talking to the people in Woodbury... no "pathos" there, the final reaction with hugs and kisses seemed totally unrealistic. I thought that Laurie Holden is maybe getting tired of how the writers are treating her character...

* Mute Michonne: enough of this, it makes no sense. She wants to be kicked out of the prison? If it goes on like this, she will go away and in a couple of episodes nobody will even remember her.

* Glenn's rant: I didn't understand his point, nor why he's not talking to Maggie at the end of the episode

* Daryl going away: it seemed rushed at first, but thinking about the character, I now feel that it made sense. I still hope he'll be back, though.

* In general, the episode seemed like a collection of scenes not very well glued together (and all trying to be full of emotions... with some failing to achieve that).
Make love not war!

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Yeah, I counted about 30-odd people around. I assume some are up on the walls ... or, ya know, maybe hunting around for more walkers inside. I found it kind of preposterous that three walkers could wander around Woodbury that long and not be dispatched, or even noticed. And, how did the guy who got bit get caught by one, out in the open like that?

Oh, and the thing about Rick? We have to remember that just a year ago, he was a cop - not someone who regularly shoots and kills people. He's had to do it a number of times now, and he's becoming pretty cold-blooded about it, which I'm sure kind of messes with his head and sense of identity. Remember, in the first two seasons, he'd still tell people "I'm a cop." I don't think he's said that this season.

On a related note, I don't like the aplomb with which Maggie is shooting and killing people. Mazzara mentioned it in the EW interview:

If anyone should have a break down, it's her.

Rick told the hermit in the shack that he's a cop. But I know what you're getting at. At this point I think he probably doesn't feel as guilty as he would have a year ago, seeing it's now an "us or them" world.

GoKillZombies

GoKillZombies

Lurker

• Members

I love TWD, and as a result I appreciated most of the last episode (for example, Herschel, Rick, Carol and Tyreese were great). However, as someone already said in this thread, a lot of things seem rushed/far-fetched to me:

* Andrea talking to the people in Woodbury... no "pathos" there, the final reaction with hugs and kisses seemed totally unrealistic. I thought that Laurie Holden is maybe getting tired of how the writers are treating her character...

* Mute Michonne: enough of this, it makes no sense. She wants to be kicked out of the prison? If it goes on like this, she will go away and in a couple of episodes nobody will even remember her.

* Glenn's rant: I didn't understand his point, nor why he's not talking to Maggie at the end of the episode

* Daryl going away: it seemed rushed at first, but thinking about the character, I now feel that it made sense. I still hope he'll be back, though.

* In general, the episode seemed like a collection of scenes not very well glued together (and all trying to be full of emotions... with some failing to achieve that).

Mute Michonne makes no sense, yes. If she doesnt want to open up or even introduce herself to these people, she should leave them. Really, she should have already left. If shes so debilitated by her lack of trust for others she would have long ago left them. But yet she stays and doesnt speak. The way she acts now is against human nature. Speak or leave.

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members

Why would Michonne know that Andrea used to belong to this group(before Rick made it obvious)? Maybe she would know, maybe she would recognise the names..but that isn't confirmed so I"m not going to jump down her throat just yet.

I think Rick has more emotionally to deal with than anyone, and on top of all that, he has the responsibility for the survival of the entire group hanging over his head. Andrew Lincoln has said it before - Rick is the type of person who punishes himself when bad things happen, even if he couldn't do anything about it. So everyone they've lost, in his mind, they are on HIM. And losing a parent isn't the same thing as losing a spouse...when my Dad died, I was able to come to terms with it much easier than my Mom. And that doesn't even count the destruction of his marriage through Lori's "betrayal" or him killing his own best friend. Carl didn't kill the man he looked up to - he killed a walker who looked like the man he used to know. That's different than driving the knife into your best friends gut and watching the life go out of his eyes.(after having your best friend try to kill you)

I don't think anyone that we've seen is under the same conditions as Rick. And being a deputy doesn't prepare you for the apocalypse.

Andrea told Michonne, "I've told you everything about me..." Michonne knows Merle was part of the group Andrea was with, she knows Daryl is Merle's brother, she knows Glenn is part of the group Merle was with, and she knows Glenn was at the prison, where she found Rick and Daryl. If Michonne is clueless this is the group Andrea was with, she must be a total moron.

Carl, a child, killed 'a walker who looked like the man he used to know'. Morgan, an adult, struggled with the decision to kill a walker who looked like his wife...I don't think it's as cut and dried as you are trying to make it out to be. Plus, Carl may not have killed his mother, which IMO trumps best friend, but he provided the knife to Maggie and watched her do it. Carl has just as much reason to take all this on himself and be as crazy as Rick, but he's not.

I found Herschal's craziness (thinking there was a cure) plausible, Shane's descent into madness didn't really make much sense to me, and Rick's is way over the top. Michonne, I don't know what her problem is, but even going so far as to say she had no idea whatsoever Andrea was associated with anyone at the prison (pffftttt) she was still willing to let Andrea get killed in the crossfire or whatever just because Andrea didn't leave Woodbury with her? No, "Hey, I have a delusional blonde friend in there, so try not to shoot her" to anyone before they raided the town, nothing. No excuse for her in my mind, period.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Rick told the hermit in the shack that he's a cop. But I know what you're getting at. At this point I think he probably doesn't feel as guilty as he would have a year ago, seeing it's now an "us or them" world.

Dang, good catch. Glad you get my point, though.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!