The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 9 - The Suicide King - Review

the walking dead season 3 daryl merle the governor rick the prison woodbury

The Walking Dead Midseason Premiere - The Suicide King (211 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (90 [42.65%] - )

42.65%

2. Good - Some Critiques (84 [39.81%] - )

39.81%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (32 [15.17%] - )

15.17%

4. Poor (5 [2.37%] - )

2.37%

rumblepup

rumblepup

The Puppetmaster

• Administrators
Rick tries to rescue a member of his group. Woodbury is in disarray after a recent attack. New guests raise concerns at the prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX6vh0DM3nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4rx3vFGuCQ

Remember, we will be FLOODED with traffic, please be patient as we try to manage the flow. We might go down once or twice.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
I thought it was great!
Oh wait it's not 9:00 EST yet... sorry.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

meena76

meena76

S-mart Employee

• Members
Wow great episode
I heart Rick. Shane had to go.

CrackFox

CrackFox

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEngland
Pretty good episode. The Lori ghost kinda creeped me out. I'll post a detailed review tomorrow. Bottom line, it didn't disappoint.

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members
I dunno. I think it was probably one of the worst of the season...

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

Trippy

Trippy

S-mart Employee

• Members
I can't stop laughing at the ending, oh god.

DukeSilver

DukeSilver

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationWinterfell
I thought it was great. Loved the slower pace; we got some really great exchanges between the characters.

Scott Wilson, wow. He really shined in this episode. He stole every scene he was in. How awesome was he hopping down the stairs like it was nothing? Carl, Carol and Beth also had some great scenes (Carl, LET ME HUG YOU).

So Rick is officially batshit. Not crazy about seeing Lori's ghost, but I thought the episode overall was excellent.

3VHWYjA.gif

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
Loved it. We got some good character development and that's what we needed.

I forgot how much I hated Merle. Literally I wanted to put a knife through him and I would have had no regrets.

I knew Daryl was leaving the group but for some reason I did not think about the ramifications at all. I completely forgot/didn't think about how Carol would feel. Her reaction was so realistic and you can tell she was trying to be so strong.

And that ending, that was something else. I thought after Hershel's speech that Rick would come to his senses, but I was wrong. Rick is loco crazy.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
Yeah, not sure about the whole ghost Lori part, it was very contrived. Otherwise, loved the episode.

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
Well, Rick is crazy.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
Also, Lori smiling as Rick was freaking out was one of the creepiest things I've seen on this show.

57channels

57channels

S-mart Employee

• Members
Great episode!! I'm not diggin this ghost Lori though.
The whole last scene with Rick freaking out just felt weird.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
It was a VERY good episode. I did think the Merle/Daryl escape was a little contrived, as was the redshirting of Haley. I understand the limitations of sp fx on the show, but I would have thought a few more Woodbury's would've gone down with that close a grouping when Maggie opened up.

Maggie was just scrumptious as always.

I enjoyed seeing the Gov become introverted and prepare himself for a direct conflict (vs. the covert ones the town wasn't aware of), as well as figured out what he's gonna do about Andrea as it dawns on her what happened.

Nice to see Andrea try to preserve Mayberry and know what it represents to survivors as a symbol as well as a reality. The town reacted as I think they would have after an incident like that, I like the way that came together.

Glad everyone saw that Merle wasn't gonna join the group. Even Daryl knew it, but he had to go with his bro. He knew there wasn't a choice, and didn't really push for one.

I'm not great on the Rick breakdown scene, but at least all the right questions were asked of Tyrese's group.
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
Great episode overall! My thoughts:

Hayley got shot? I am a bad person for not giving a crap? :P Although Governor walking through the chaos ominously was a great scene. Some of the best cinematography I've seen all season. Awesome!

Zombies can pull back fences? :smiley-confused002:

Merle is hilarious, spilling all of Michonne's information. We learned more from him in 30 secs about Michonne that she's said about herself all season.

Dead when Rick clocked out Merle, so much justice in that move LOL. I'm definitely going to have to re-watch that part.

Why is Glenn so shocked that Daryl would choose Merle over everyone else? Its his brother, regardless. Yes Merle wasn't winning brother or decent person of the year awards anytime soon but he is loyal to a fault for Daryl in his own way, no denying that. Although I sort of predicted something like this might happen. Everyone was saying with new characters coming in from the comic there might not be room for Daryl, is Daryl getting is own side arc now? Hmmm. Most likely though Merle will die sometime soon and Daryl will join the group again.

Rick's distrust of Michonne is bigger than I thought. I wonder how she is going to get into his good graces because it seems simply saving him now wont cut it. I understand though, he's under a ton of stress and pressure, he really doesn't have the energy to be taking on and worrying for other people like old Rick would.

I loved Glenn flying off the handle, I don't necessarily agree with him but I like that he is letting off some steam. It's making me really eager to see how he continues to develop over the course of the rest of the reason. He's coming a long way and I'm glad he's finally getting some more development.

This episode seriously is cracking me up! Had to laugh at the deadpan action of the governor coming outside just to put a bullet in the guy then just leave like he has other business to take care of.

I don't ship Daryl/Carol but I was a sad for her when Rick told her Daryl was gone. Also I think Daryl/Carol fans would be happy because she all but admitted she had feelings for him when talking with Beth.

Beth and Rick kiss was pretty innocent so I'm glad that's nothing (really glad).

I love Andrea's speech, we haven't really seen her ever comfort other people so its good to see she can step up. Like I said before I don't think she agrees with the Gov's decisions but I don't think she wants to give up on the whole town because of him. Also she saw other people in need and helped out without making it about herself, something that she hasn't really done either. I'm interested to see when stuff goes down how the Gov and her relationship dissolves.

Also I was right! I said before Rick isn't giving people chances anymore and also that the group listened to what Rick wanted without contest and people disagreed but Hershel just called Rick out on it. I knew it! ^_^ But more importantly, Rick's scene where he saw Lori in the white dress was powerful, great acting (although the white dress was a bit cliche but I can let that go). Rick seems to be coming apart at the seams. I love the parallel between Rick coming unhinged and the Governor loosing it too. It's all going to come down to who can get their shit together the quickest.

Can't wait for next week!

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members
Why is everyone saying it's ghost Lori? No. It's hallucination Lori. :lol:

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

DukeSilver

DukeSilver

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationWinterfell
Yeah, it's a bit much. We really don't need to see Rick hallucinating in every episode. We get it -- he's not well.

WTF was with that scene of him holding Judith, too? I was just thinking, "Step away from the baby, Rick..."

3VHWYjA.gif

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes

I dunno. I think it was probably one of the worst of the season...

It had some interesting moments, but I found myself being bored a lot. Too many speeches. That scene between Carol and Beth was Boresville.

However, I freaking LOVE Tyreese. Whoooo!

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I thought it was great. Loved the slower pace;

I half-expected it to slow down.

Many have complained that Mazzara sped up this season because he was pandering to people who complained about season two.

I thought he sped it up because that is what the story demanded.

Tonight he slowed it down because that is what the story demanded.

Anyway. Excellent episode.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
I could only rate it fair. Rick's behavior borders on ridiculous and they still switch scenes in a haphazard way and the ghost thing is just silly.

At the risk of appearing dumb for overlooking the obvious. How did they come up with the title Suicide King? What am I missing?
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

CrackFox

CrackFox

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEngland

Also, Lori smiling as Rick was freaking out was one of the creepiest things I've seen on this show.

I feel like they didn't know how to end this episode on a dramatic note so they decided to just go with another crazy moment from Rick. I also got the feeling that Beth might possibly have some romantic feelings for Rick in the future. I hope they don't go down that route.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
Yeah-the Rick holding the baby just completely detached him from caring about it. Lori in the dress (wedding?) is just pushing it though.
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

medelliae

medelliae

Infected

• Members
Hmmm I thought the Lori scene was hokey. The Andrea speech at Woodbury was hokey. I understand that they are trying to set up how the characters felt and such, but I just didn't really like this episode that much. I wasn't very satisfied. I get that no one trusts each other and that Rick is psycho now, but the story didn't advance much in my opinion, other than the obvious - Rick's group got out of Woodbury and Merle.

Trippy

Trippy

S-mart Employee

• Members

I could only rate it fair. Rick's behavior borders on ridiculous and they still switch scenes in a haphazard way and the ghost thing is just silly.

This this this this. The episode was fine, but it wasn't good enough for a "premiere" if you will. Rick isn't acting insane. It actually is ridiculous. The ending scene wasn't powerful, it made my friends and family roar with laughter.

Everything else was fine. The minor characters are what made the show this evening.

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members

At the risk of appearing dumb for overlooking the obvious. How did they come up with the title Suicide King? What am I missing?

"This is the hand we've been dealt."
-Rick

Samuel.

Samuel.

Infected

• Members
Amazing.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!