The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Trailer (With Reviews)

walking dead survival instinct

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere

I bought it. I'm playing it. I'm having fun.

I get to hear Norman Reedus, I get to kill zombies and I get to be more involved in TWD universe. I'm a casual gamer, I suck at FPS but I love RPGs.

I'm having a blast with it so far. Maybe my standards are low but I'm just having fun going with the ride. Of course, I'm barely into it. Maybe it will get old after a while but if I can explore every world in Mass Effect 1 with my Mako, I can do multiple town runs for supplies and gas.

If your standards are that low, I'm available. Just sayin'. *wink wink*

But I will still +1 anyone who loves the Mass Effect franchise.

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I just finished beating Mass Effect actually. Never gave it a chance until now. Anyway I thought the game had potential but looking now I don't think I'm gonna buy it.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
I love the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises. They're my two favorites of all time because I love the relationship building aspect of it. You have to take the time to talk and make friends in order to really play the game in its fullest. However, I was very pissed at the completely moronic ending of Mass Effect 3. And I thought the maps on Dragon Age 2 were less than inspiring; you just kept going to the same places over and over. They're not perfect by any means but they're still my favorites. I also really like the Elder Scrolls franchise and Fall Out 3 and NV.

I've played all the God of Wars because I'm compelled too. I hate Kratos as a main character; he's such a dick. But the gameplay is so addictive, I do it anyway. No replayability there though. The Assassin's Creed total story arc is very compelling but I got so sick of climbing things. Go here and climb this. Now go there and climb that. Rinse and repeat. Blah. I did enjoy using the courtesans as distractions. As a female, I find that quite funny. ;)

BTW, That Guy, I'm flattered (I think) but taken. Sorry!
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members

I love the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises. They're my two favorites of all time because I love the relationship building aspect of it. You have to take the time to talk and make friends in order to really play the game in its fullest. However, I was very pissed at the completely moronic ending of Mass Effect 3. And I thought the maps on Dragon Age 2 were less than inspiring; you just kept going to the same places over and over. They're not perfect by any means but they're still my favorites. I also really like the Elder Scrolls franchise and Fall Out 3 and NV.

I've played all the God of Wars because I'm compelled too. I hate Kratos as a main character; he's such a dick. But the gameplay is so addictive, I do it anyway. No replayability there though. The Assassin's Creed total story arc is very compelling but I got so sick of climbing things. Go here and climb this. Now go there and climb that. Rinse and repeat. Blah. I did enjoy using the courtesans as distractions. As a female, I find that quite funny. ;)

Why aren't there any girls like you where I live, here in Bumfuck? America gets all the fun ladies. Hmpf.

On the lackluster ending of ME3: download the Extended Cut DLC if you haven't already. It doesn't change the ending but it does explain the plotholes and inconsistencies the original had(and I blame that on EA rushing the game out the door, not BioWare). It also adds an epilogue for every group and character. And it's free so, hey, free stuff. Yay. Anyway, Mass Effect 4 already has me pumped up even though all I know is that it's not a sequel and that there's no Shepard.

And I'm just loving the latest DLC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKafaU1h1wE

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla

It's not that expensive. Twenty euros over here. So you better buy it, otherwise I will revoke your 'true fan' status.

Time is the issue, not money. :wallmad:

Wait a minute... I'm a true fan!!!! :zombie02:
Make love not war!

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
I'm planning on replaying the whole Mass Effect series after I finish with TWD Survival Instinct. Our XBox wasn't reading discs and we had to save up to get a new one, which we just did on Wednesday. So I'll download the extended cut DLC when I do that. ;)

As for the gamer girls problem, I can't help you with that. All I can suggest is move to Texas. The girls would be all over that British accent (you're British right? or am I crazy?) and gamer girls are not that uncommon here. :)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members

As for the gamer girls problem, I can't help you with that. All I can suggest is move to Texas. The girls would be all over that British accent (you're British right? or am I crazy?) and gamer girls are not that uncommon here. :)

You're crazy. I'm not British. English isn't my primary, let alone secondary, language.

Welp, I had planned to move to California to pursue my fitness career but I guess Texas it is! I heard you are all way fatter anyways. More clients for me. And more girls. Sweet.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

You're crazy. I'm not British. English isn't my primary, let alone secondary, language.

Welp, I had planned to move to California to pursue my fitness career but I guess Texas it is! I heard you are all way fatter anyways. More clients for me. And more girls. Sweet.

I'm sorry! But no matter what accent you have, the girls will dig it. Especially if you are a personal trainer! A personal trainer with a hot bod and accent? You'll be beating off the clients/girls with a stick. All you have to do now is decide what kind of girl you like.

If you like the ones who wear a lot of make up and always have their hair done and always look perfect, move to the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

If you like girls that look nice when they want but also know how to dress down, move to the Houston area.

Austin is if you are more the liberal/earth centric/granola type.

West Texas is rugged and earthy, the kind of girl that can ride a horse across the range all day and have sex all night.

East Texans are more the redneck types. South Texas/San Antonio are mostly Hispanic, which is a warm and friendly culture with awesome food.

Please remember there are always exceptions to a stereotype and you should just take these as loose guidelines. :)

p.s. Q: What do you call a person who can speak two languages? A: Bilingual
Q. What do you call a person who can speak three languages? A: Trilingual
Q. What do you call a person who can speak only one language? A. American!!

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
Hot damn. Sounds like paradise. Except for Austin. Damn hippies, get a job!

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
Why do you think Texas girls are ALWAYS in the top five at the Miss America, Miss USA, etc., pageants? Texas girls are pretty. :)

p.s. So where exactly is Bumfuck?

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members

p.s. So where exactly is Bumfuck?

Nowhere.

Spoiler

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Texas does have the women. Hello Dallas cowboy cheerleaders are all amazing. They the tightest...dance skills

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

That is a thing that should immediately make you think that something is wrong with the game...

I didn't watch that one, I hope to play that game one day and I want to avoid spoilers.

Yeah after doing some further research, the game sounds worse than I had previously thought. The IGN review rated it as "Bad."

That doesn't happen often.

I often like games that IGN rates as "mediocre."

But when IGN rates a game as "Bad," then that usually means it's REALLY bad- the kind of game that doesn't just make you want your money back, but the hours of your life back that you spent playing it.

TV and movie tie-ins often get a "mediocre" rating on IGN, which is better than a "bad" rating.

But Survival instinct is rated "Bad" and to me, that is a major red flag.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

DirtyDeeJay

DirtyDeeJay

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationEngland
I played it today for a few hours, took out a whole 'herd' of about 30 by standing on top of a petrol tanker and crouching while hitting the walkers with a hammer.

Not a game of the year contender, graphics are pretty poor, A.I isn't all that, but if you like killing zombies and sneaking about in stealth mode while working out routes to make pick ups / save people etc it's an alright game. Bit samey but i've enjoyed having a crack on it.

Herschel Infinite Ammo Cheat: R2, R2, L1, R2, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP.

RickGrimeyGrimes

RickGrimeyGrimes

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationEng-er-land

Yep I'm glad I didn't get duped into buying this/
Tread Lightly

Viner16

Viner16

Infected

• Members
Angry Joe <3

We can always trust you XDD

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee..."

whatlez

whatlez

Infected

• Members
  • LocationTWD Prison
Bought and finished it -_-

It was alright, but was too short and I felt like I would prefer to watch the character development over the gameplay. I am not happy with the price I paid for them game though... :/

I did all this searching, finding extra crap and it wasn't necessary, didn't use my shotguns like ever and I had like 3 Rifles with 24 bullets each. Also could not grab everything cause Daryl had to hold the Bow, Bolt and a Knife plus I gun is always handy to hold with a lead pipe or Fireman Axe. Also if you hit a checkpoint with like no life, you will have that life when you come back alive. The game was poor, but did give me a little insight on Merle's and Daryl's journey, but then did make it clear how they get with the group near Atlanta.

Daryl, Merle - That's all you need.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

. I am not happy with the price I paid for them game though... :/

I think that's the major reason it's getting slammed so hard.

From what I hear, it sounds like something that should have been a $10-20 download.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
I do want to play this game, but after reading the reviews (especially IGN's), and the first hand account of some of you here, I'm going to wait for it to come down in price. It just does not sound like a $60, for about a day's worth of game play. Hopefully it comes down in price soon, I have a feeling it may not take that long, with all the bad reviews.

DirtyDeeJay

DirtyDeeJay

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationEngland
If you like the walking dead, and you like zombie games, you should like this, It's more of a stealthy/sneaky gameplay. You can go in full guns blazing but it attracts too much attention. I've spaced myself on it so I don't complete it majorly fast, Just doing a couple of hours here and there when the kids are in bed and when the mrs doesn't mind lol.

The hospital level i did a few days ago creaped me out! Playing it in the early hours while everyone else was in bed and all the lights out! To be honest I am enjoying the game. I have read reviews and agreed with them to a certain extent, maybe it's just my love for the walking dead that is clouding my judgement! Plus the fact I only paid £20 for it ( the equivalent of $30 USD).

Herschel Infinite Ammo Cheat: R2, R2, L1, R2, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I confess, I really want to play this game, despite all of the negative reviews. I actually get a certain enjoyment out of playing 'bad' games (the same way I enjoy watching cheesy, low-budget 'bad' movies). I'm a Walking Dead diehard fan, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing Daryl and Merle's interactions and learning more about their back-stories.

That doesn't mean I'm gonna drop $50 on it, though. On eBay it's going for $40-ish, so I'm going to wait. I like playing cheesy games, but I also know better than to pay full price for them. I'd say $20 or cheaper and I'll bite on it. In a month or so, the price should start freefalling.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen
Okay, second-hand copies of this game are now appearing on shelves at Gamestop and I bought a copy for $27. Personally, I'm having a lot of fun with it, though there is a substantial learning curve. It takes some getting used to. I was expecting it to be aimed at novices and therefore a cakewalk. That's not the case. It's actually a pretty unforgiving game in some parts and I"m getting killed A LOT more than I thought I would.

No, it's not going to be winning any game off the year awards, but it's not as bad as the critics' harsh reviews make it out to be. I give it about three out of five stars.

I still think that the harsh reviews were 'sour grapes' on the part of reviewers who didn't get a free, advance copy of the game. It might sound silly, but not if you think about it.

Game critics see themselves as 'gatekeepers' of sorts who influence the commercial success of a game. Not giving them advance copies is saying, in so many words, "you're not that important" and they didn't take kindly to it.

One man's opinion.

The IGN reviewer posted a video of himself playing the game where he appeared to be having a pretty good time, but when the actual review came out it was scathing.

So there.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen
Just finished the game and it was about what I expected. Basically, there's enough material contained in the game for $10-20 DLC, but they marketed it as a full title. Definitely check it out if you are a fan of the show and you don't mind games that are difficult in spots that get you killed. I especially liked the games finale. You get a glimpse of how Atlanta fell apart and it's pretty intense.

I think the blowback from critics would have been less severe had they released it as a $20 DLC

And the game does require patience in parts.

Bottom line: don't pay more than about $25 and you'll likely be happy.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!