What Is The Appeal Of Zombies To You?

- - - - - walking dead zombies

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
In honor of The Walking Dead Season 3 starting again in February, it got me thinking what do zombies mean to everyone. What is the appeal? Zombies have become a cultural staple with it's own idioms and quarks, rules and regulations. It has entered every form of entertain from movies, to tv shows, to comics and video games. So I wanted to know what the appeal was to you? For me, I think I like seeing the different relationships and how they change. With society gone and pleasantries thrown aside, I like seeing how people behave and their choices. Save this person, don't save that person. I never really focused on the zombies as much as the survivors which is probably why I love TWD. What about you? What do you like about it?
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Luke Ass

Luke Ass

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBristol, Rhode Island
I think it's the fact that there essentially us, there not like vampire or ware wolves, all super powered and what not. There us minus a social structure.
Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky....

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
Because working retail behind a counter feels like dealing with a herd. Glad I don't have to do that anymore. (knocks on wood)

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSan Diego
I think the idea of zombies just puts human emotions on a hot plate. Vampires, werewolves, and killers cause a spike of tension and then release. Zombies are more of a constant steady pressure cooker. They smother your hope and really bring self preservation to the forefront. There is no escape, only survival and even that is temporary. We like to see what happens when people throw tact out the window and show who they really are. I think most people want to think that they would show their best qualities in this situation and be the hero. Who dosn't want to be the hero? For me I think that's that biggie. I imagine that if I were in that situation, I would rise to the occasion. In reality I would probably be a walker snack.

kataurmayor

kataurmayor

Lurker

• Members
To me the appeal of zombies is this simple question. Would you be able to put down a zombie who used to be a loved one? I think that's obv how the zombies would become an uncontrollable force. Cuz how many of us would havethe courage and quickthinking mind to be able to put down your father? Ur mother? Maybe even ur child. I think its something that would affect every single person in that we all would have to make those choices with no hesitation. That's how zombies appeal to me.

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members
And its just not putting them down, but in the most gory way possible, with the head shot

total_cypher

total_cypher

Infected

• Members
I remember reading an article on political climates and what horror movies are popular. I think it was on cracked.com. When democrats are in office, generally more zombie movies are made, but when republicans are in office there are a lot more vampire movies. The analysis was that democrats are afraid of being one of the faceless masses (zombies) and republicans were afraid of being morally and sexually corrupted (see vampires).

I just thought that was interesting.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members
Hah, Cracked is pretty funny (and accurate) sometimes.

For me, it's all about the apocalypse. Could be nuclear, climactic, alien or, in this case, zombie. I just like to think about being in that situation and how I'd react, what it would take to survive. Probably comes form being a child of the 70s and always thinking how close I lived to a nuclear target, etc.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
Before the zombie craze I remember watching Romero's Night Of the Living Dead and then months later had a night mare about zombies. It stuck with me. Had that nightmare twice, both ending up the same way, getting caught in a corner and being torn apart before waking up. It stuck with me good. Avoided most of the zombie films that came out, then borrowed the DVD of the Dawn remake and got freaked out all over again... avoided the movies for a while.
Then came the Walking Dead, from the first episode on, loved it and hadn't had any nightmares about 'em... maybe because I've been writing them all out with my novel. Hmm, the appeal... they're relentless, they won't stop, get tired and like terminators, they "can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with and (they) absolutely will not stop, ever! Until you are dead."
As for killing someone that I knew that is now a zombie. No sweat because they're no longer there, they're dead and gone and what is left behind is a rotting shell that is trying to kill me. So bang bang I shot 'em down.
Anyway zombies are pretty damned scary when you think about it.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Xfirekeenmike

Xfirekeenmike

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationSouth Texas mcallen area
Knowing zombies only want one thing from us is what attracts me.
We can not deny the fact that zombies love us, they really love us.

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members
One word.

ma·ca·bre adjective \mə-ˈkäb; -ˈkä-brə, -bər; -ˈkäbrə\

Definition of MACABRE

1: having death as a subject : comprising or including a personalized representation of death

2: dwelling on the gruesome

3: tending to produce horror in a beholder

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!