Immune 12- The Dead Star Rises

- - - - - immune fanfic

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
-Immune 12- The Dead Star Rises-

I took this time to think about my immediate past. If my assumption was right, then my immunity has a down side to it. Any walker who bites me may become a stronger and more dangerous killing machine. Just as someone getting the bad news from an STD clinic and has to conjure up all the people they’ve slept with, here I sit trying to think back of when I got bit.

There is Gregg, my so called boyfriend, who bit me in our living room but I slammed my katana through his skull. Check. Then there’s Henry the Friendly Sav a Lot employee which I didn’t kill then but Rick took care of him now. Check. Before meeting Lizzy at her school I had blundered into a mini horde while trying to hunt for supplies. But how many of those bit me?

I managed to fight my way out but I don’t think I killed them all. Great. Shane could be right. A whole horde of them could be coming our way. Lizzy walked into the room and sat on the bed beside me. She wasn’t her normal self yet but she was better than lying on a bed staring at the ceiling. I didn’t ask her about anything that happened in the past, I didn’t want to sojourn her recovery.

“Hi Lizzy.”

“Hi Vanessa.” Her voice was very casual; no, not her usual self yet.

“How ya feeling, kid?” I kept it off-the-cuff. She didn’t answer me but nodded her head. I guess it meaning okay.

“Vanessa, can we see you in the living room?” Rick walked past the door and down the stairs. I left Lizzy on the bed and dreaded what the others would have to say but I guess we had to discuss it eventually.

They sat there with anxious faces unsure as to what the future will hold with this new threat. I told them that I knew nearly as much as they did. It was only a guess, an assumption. The only way we can know for sure is to let a walker bite me and wait for the results. Did I want more bite marks from walkers, hells no, but to know for sure whether this is what’s causing the mutation; it has to be done.

“A walker’s just not going to nibble on you, these things can rip your arm off and you want to hand feed one?” Andrea was concerned and even though her voice had a hard edge, I appreciated it.

“Maybe this is going a little too far. Maybe it wasn’t because you were bitten, it could be something else, airborne pathogen, a result of being a walker….evolution?” Glen was unsure towards the end of that.

“I think it’s worth a try, but only if it’s controlled. We’re not just going to let a walker tear into you.” Rick stated. “First we’ll bring one walker here to the barn and...”

“He’s gone!” Shane came into the room, sweat and blood dripping from his brow. “Randall, he got loose and he hit me. He took off into the woods, we gotta bring him back.” He sounded out of breathe.

“Okay, we’ll deal with this later.” Rick gestured to me. “Glen, Daryl go east, Shane and I will go west. The rest of you stay here and keep a look out, I don’t want everyone out wandering around.” The men jumped up to do what was commanded and the rest of us went out onto the porch to set up a perimeter.

With Randall missing, there was a very real possibility that he could find his group and bring them back to the farm. The last thing I wanted was an all-out war. I started to second guess my opinion in letting him live but hindsight is always 20/20 as they say.

“Hershel, gather everyone in the living room. If we have to leave in a hurry for any reason, I don’t want to have to go looking for someone.” I spoke softly but with purpose. Hershel didn’t respond verbally, he only left take care of it. I had a worried feeling in the pit of my stomach. So much has happened in such a short period of time; too much to take in really.

Night fell around the farm and there was no sign of Randall or the two search parties. Lori’s anxiety only grew more and more as the shadows of the waning day crept into the farm house. She tried to leave before the find her husband in town and ended up wrecking on the road. Not only did they lose a working car but she could have been seriously hurt. I kept a closer eye on her this time around.

My thoughts soon moved to Lizzy. Her speaking was great, but she was far from healed from the emotional scar of seeing Sophia killed, twice. I began to worry that I wouldn’t be able to take care of her like I planned too. If walkers were becoming mutated because of my blood, then any walker that bit me is a potential deadly threat. I could put the entire group in danger. I resolved myself to make sure any walker that has a bite gets my katana right between the eyes. I couldn’t allow it to get away.

Henry the friendly neighborhood walker seemed to be drawn to me. Even as it stood there watching, when I moved it followed me with those dead eyes. Was it drawn to my blood somehow? Did it smell me and wanted more? It was clear that I was the target and if a walker like that was drawn to me, holy shit; even more of a threat. I kept this last thought to myself. No sense in causing a panic where there might not be cause.

The house was quiet; no one really spoke until we heard Glen and Daryl make their way back. Out on the porch I asked them if they found Randall.

“Yeah, but he was a walker.”

“So a walker got him.” Andrea confirmed.

“No, we didn’t see any bite or scratch marks on him. He just had a broken neck, that’s what killed him.” Daryl believed.

“Wait. You mean a walker didn’t get him but he was a walker?” I was confused.

“Yeah and there were two sets of tracks leading out to the woods. I don’t think Shane was chasing him, I think Shane was leading him.” That was a heavy statement and they all knew it. I walked back into the house almost in a daze. What the hell was going on? Obviously from what Daryl said, Shane took Randall out into the woods to kill him only Randall came back as a walker but how? It just doesn’t make sense. Rick.

Shit, Rick was out there with Shane alone. If Shane could kill Randall what’s to stop him from killing Rick? There was obvious tension between them. I wandered over to a closed window back in the living room and sat against the sill in the dark. My stress level just went up. Rick was a strong person and he was making a great leader. The thought that he may not come back and the group would be left with Shane is chilling one. That would be something I will have to deal with personally should it happen.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn’t even notice a walker creeping up to the window from outside. It was silent and had a plan and if I noticed him I would have been highly alerted just by how stealthy it was. Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware of his presence until he shot his dead arms through the glass grabbing me by the waist and forcefully pulling me out the opening. There was no one in the living room at that moment, all were on the porch. I would have screamed but the power of the blow against the back of my head was enough to stun me but not knock me out.

“Shit!” I heard Daryl exclaim but he sounded distant. He must have heard the glass breaking and may have seen my struggling legs pulled through but he would have to come around the house to catch me and the walker already had its mouth on my shoulder. It bit down hard and I finally let out a scream of pain as well as outrage. I reached over to pull my knife from my belt when my hand was caught by another walker. This one was a female and she bit into my right forearm, bitch. Another walker, slow moving and missing an arm, came out of the woods and he caught my leg even though I was kicking. These bastards were having a Vanessa buffet and I was getting pissed.

I didn’t feel the pain and I wanted to kick zombie ass but they had such a tight grip on me. Finally I heard a rustle from the corner of the house and saw Daryl sprint forward, bow in hand but before he could even let one arrow fly the walkers dropped me like a bag of trash and ran for the woods. They actually ran as fast as their decomposing limbs would allow and disappeared into the shadows.

I was bleeding from my left shoulder, my right forearm, and my left lower legs. I spewed a string of expletives that had more anger than pain behind them. Daryl said nothing and reached down to pull me up. I hobbled back to the porch leaning heavily on him for support.

“What the hell?” Glen yelled and helped me down on a chair. Hershel was already there with his bag of medical supplies. I’m sure he was getting tired of doing patch jobs on me.

“I think they went after her.” Daryl spoke. “I think they targeted you and when they saw me coming, they dropped her and ran away. They didn’t just want to feed. They wanted you Vanessa.” He looked at me with concern. I didn’t have the strength to argue but knew he was right. They had a strategy and it was to get me.

This was getting to be too much. I looked down at my uninjured left arm and watched a trail of deep red blood flow down my brown skin from my shoulder to my elbow. Too many thoughts were swirling in my head that I couldn’t pinpoint the exact time the barn caught on fire. My ears seemed clogged as if my head was underwater and everyone’s yells and screams sound so distant.

I watched as if in slow motion as the group dispersed. Walkers were breaking through the perimeter, the barn was ablaze, Lori was yelling that Carl was missing…again, and Lizzy sat on the front porch gazing at the fire. If not for the walkers making their way to the house, it would have been a beautiful fire of bright orange and deep red. I always loved the smell of a crisp fire outdoors.

Chaos was the only name for it. Everyone was running this way and that that I lost track of most people. Perhaps the walkers took more blood than my adrenaline could sense at the time and since I was still while Hershel tended to me; I felt like I was ready to collapse. In the midst of the confusion I spotted Lizzy out of the corner of my eye walking casually to the woods edge. I got up to chase after her but my legs gave out from underneath me. I cried out to Hershel to stop her, but he stood too far away and couldn’t hear my pleas over the boom of the shotgun.

I crawled across the wood porch, jagged splinters pricked my hands. Lizzy was already gone through the shadows even as I struggled to get down to the lawn. The group was working together to hold them back but it was as useless as rocks holding back an incoming tide. The walkers would just crash over them and overrun the farm. It was lost. They needed to pull back but I needed to find Lizzy. Seems like I was always chasing her.

Exhausted I flipped onto my back and stared at the night sky; taking a moment to just breathe. The three stars on Orion’s belt shone particular bright tonight and my mind wandered to thoughts of just giving up. Letting the walkers take me and ending it all; this life was no life. It was a daily exertion and I was tired. The crisp breeze cooled the droplets of sweat on my forehead and I looked at my dead stars. Dead because who would admire them now? Who will point out the constellations and tell their various tales? Who will make wishes upon them?

Lizzy was interested in the stars and on quite nights I would point them out to her. With power out in the big cites the stars finally had license to shine bright and show themselves. Lizzy. I needed to keep her safe for as long as I can.

With renewed energy I stood and leaned on my sword like a cane. At the edge of the woods, I looked back at the others. I hope they made it through and I promised myself that I would find them again. Even before the world ended, it was hard to find good friends. Now with millions of deaths around the world, it was harder still. I will find them again, safe with Lizzy in tow. I wished that same wish upon my dead star.

To be continued….
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay
Good job GDM.
Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Good job GDM.

Thanks Walking Dude for all your support. I was particularly proud of this chapter.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!