When To Expect Daryl Dixon To Die.... ( Includes Comic Spoilers )

- - - - - daryl dixon death comic

Tyler

Tyler

Lurker

• Members
  • Locationsomewhere safe

Daryl dies when TPTB decide that it's time. No way to predict when that will be. The show is mainly about Rick anyway, and Rick's character has gotten a lot more interesting this season. Andrew Lincoln's acting is some of the best yet. The evolution of his character is what it's all about.

Seems like a lot of people are more focused on what's going to happen to the show's supporting cast these days.

I find it a little odd but that's just me.

Norman Reedus is a part of the Main cast. Supporting would be along the lines of Carol, Hershel, Beth, Milton, Sasha

But i agree with you though, there's really no way to predict when Daryl will die like we can the other characters.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Norman Reedus is a part of the Main cast. Supporting would be along the lines of Carol, Hershel, Beth, Milton, Sasha

But i agree with you though, there's really no way to predict when Daryl will die like we can the other characters.

All I meant was that Rick and Carl are the ones who most likely won't be killed- not ever.

As for the rest, all bets are off.

Michonne has lasted a very long time in the comic, and so has Andrea. Daryl is a wild card because he isn't in the comic.

Some see keeping Daryl alive as some kind of sell out and/ or pandering. I won't say that it is, or that it isn't.

I just watch, as long as the show is watchable.

Characters die when they die. .

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Tyler

Tyler

Lurker

• Members
  • Locationsomewhere safe

All I meant was that Rick and Carl are the ones who most likely won't be killed- not ever.

As for the rest, all bets are off.

Michonne has lasted a very long time in the comic, and so has Andrea. Daryl is a wild card because he isn't in the comic.

Some see keeping Daryl alive as some kind of sell out and/ or pandering. I won't say that it is, or that it isn't.

I just watch, as long as the show is watchable.

Characters die when they die. .

I agree somewhat, i'm just saying - Main cast and Supporting Cast are different. It sounded like you were saying everybody except from Rick is supporting cast or something, i might of just interpreted it wrong. I do agree with Rick and Carl though because well it's Rick and Carl. If anybody will survive it's them. Not much to debate there. Though if Michonne adopts her comic-book personality and gets some development and insight into her past and back-story i would like her to survive with the Grimes duo. At the very least, she'll be in it for the long-haul. Not sure what to say about Andrea. There's no way she's dieing this season, she'll be around for the long-haul aswell i guess. As for Daryl, i'm not sure. He only barely makes my top 5 favorite characters so i wont be that bummed if he dies.

scotcat

scotcat

Infected

• Members
It's hard to predict when any character is going to die. And you can't base assumptions of character death on the comics - Lori and Dale both die sooner than they did in the comics, while Shane lasted much longer.

Daryl is in a somewhat nebulous zone in that he's an original creation for the show. There's no comic book storyline for a frame of refererence. There was some talk that he would be taking Tyrese's place within the show, but since that character has now appeared on screen that's plainly not the case. I think he'll die when TPTB decide it's time, not before.

Personally, i like that characters are lasting longer/not lasting as long/are created for the show only. The show and the comic should be two different entities and I like that.

ShaneWalsh

ShaneWalsh

S-mart Employee

• Members
First off , i don't want to see Daryl die this season maybe next but no this time bcause hes a badass and he can survive all by himself and hes a hero but i really have a strong feeling that daryl will die in this season why kill daryl when you can kill Merle first. and i dont know why they introduce tyreese then he leaves.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen
The producers have kinda backed themselves into a corner.

I don't think they were expecting the massively negative reaction to Andrea's TV character or the overwhelming popularity of Daryl.

I know that in the comic Andrea lives on, but if they kill Daryl while keeping Andrea alive on the TV show, that's pretty much suicide.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
First, I want to clear up some misconceptions about "Daryl fans." I'm old - and have no "fantasies" about Daryl. But I greatly appreciate a man who has skills and can work with his hands as well as his mind. I also appreciate the obstacles he's overcome in growing to be the person he is now. I long for a relationship between him and Carol - the reward for coming so far, and finding that person you can truly bond with.

These are the only two characters I watch without being completely aware of the writers. I'm sick of Rick's over-the-top insanity that keeps me completely alert to what's being written. Also sick of the shallow, yet evil governor, to whom they've given little of a background.

There's now too much conflict within the group itself, from Rick's whacko to Glenn and Maggie's current tribulation. Add to that, the mystery of Tyreese's whereabouts - all in one episode. Oh, and Merle's disgusting persona - Michonne's silence.

I'm happy the show will be under different management. Right now, personally, the only thing holding it up is Daryl's return. For me, the show that was a "much watch" has been spiraling. If they kill off Daryl without changing their approach, I'll be done. Seriously.

NoZombieNoCry

NoZombieNoCry

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationMordor

I find Daryl more like Silvio and Glenn as Moltasanti.

And Shane like furio? Also, isn t rick to fat to be tony?
Not a native speaker, be patient.

Team Shane

Team Shane

Infected

• Members
  • LocationDallas, NC

And Shane like furio? Also, isn t rick to fat to be tony?

Then Merle is definitely Paul Walnuts :)

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
He should die as soon as his story arc with Merle is over.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

He should die as soon as his story arc with Merle is over.

As I've said, the writers seem to have written themselves into a corner.

Rick is crazy, Herchell is crippled, Andrea has become the arch-villain's lover, Michonne's traumatic experiences seem to have crippled her social skills... Glenn has gone ballistic after his stint in Woodbury and Maggie was also affected by the incident. In short, Daryl seems like the only character with both strength and sanity. It would easier to kill off Daryl if they'd made the other characters into something that viewers could relate to and/ or root for.

But if this bunch were a musical group, it would be called "Daryl and the Nutjobs." Daryl seems to the only one who isn't falling apart at the moment.

prince_charming

prince_charming

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationSandy Eggo, California
Daryl is the poster boy of the show, I don't see him leaving anytime soon

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
It's the Walking Dead and nobody is safe, but killing Daryl would be like The Simpsons writing off Bart. He's by far the most popular character and probably attracts the most casual fans to the show and sells lots of merchandise. The only reason to do it would be for the 'shock factor,' but I'm not sure it'd be worth it since I believe many people actually would stop watching after that. I'd say save it for the final season if you're going to do it.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

It's the Walking Dead and nobody is safe, but killing Daryl would be like The Simpsons writing off Bart. He's by far the most popular character and probably attracts the most casual fans to the show and sells lots of merchandise. The only reason to do it would be for the 'shock factor,' but I'm not sure it'd be worth it since I believe many people actually would stop watching after that. I'd say save it for the final season if you're going to do it.

Personally, killing him off wouldn't bother me much if there were another character who had his shit together. But let's face it, in Daryl's absence, the group seems to be falling apart. If Rick can pull himself together and become the man he was meant to be, and if there were another strong male in the group, then Daryl wouldn't be quite as necessary.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

As I've said, the writers seem to have written themselves into a corner.

Rick is crazy, Herchell is crippled, Andrea has become the arch-villain's lover, Michonne's traumatic experiences seem to have crippled her social skills... Glenn has gone ballistic after his stint in Woodbury and Maggie was also affected by the incident. In short, Daryl seems like the only character with both strength and sanity. It would easier to kill off Daryl if they'd made the other characters into something that viewers could relate to and/ or root for.

But if this bunch were a musical group, it would be called "Daryl and the Nutjobs." Daryl seems to the only one who isn't falling apart at the moment.

I am not ready for Daryl to leave the show, but part of me wonders if it wouldn't be better if he did just based on the truth of this show. He is quickly becoming the only likable character which screams PANDERING to me. Maybe if they kill him the show would return to some form of realistic balance. I am not saying kill him, but something has to jolt the writers back into good writing.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I am not ready for Daryl to leave the show, but part of me wonders if it wouldn't be better if he did just based on the truth of this show. He is quickly becoming the only likable character. .

I don't know for sure, but my impression is that this happened by accident. From what I've read in interviews with Kirkman, the audience is SUPPOSED TO empathize with Andrea somehow.

Their intention was not to make people hate her, and I'm not saying that everyone does, but the reaction to Andrea seems largely negative.

The same thing happened with Lori. I don't think the writers intended for people to dislike Lori as much as they did, but it happened.

Tyreese had some real potential, but he seems to be MIA at the moment.

I really hope that changes.

Michonne has a lot of potential as well but they need to do more with the character and I have a feeling that they will. We've already seen the previews where Michonne goes with Rick back to King County.

Hopefully this will be a chance to flesh out her character more and develop an interesting dynamic between Michonne and Rick.

But IMO, I don't think they intended for Daryl to be the only likable character, but ended up that way because audience reaction is beyond their control.

At any rate I think it really needs to change.

As to who gets killed and when, I don't really care one way or the other.

jakesparks3889

jakesparks3889

Infected

• Members
  • LocationKirksville
I really doubt daryl dies antime soon as well. He'll live to season 5 at least. We gotta sell that video game so i know he'll live into/past season 4.

jakesparks3889

jakesparks3889

Infected

• Members
  • LocationKirksville
On second thought maybe thats how they sell lot of video games kill him off so people need to buy the game to get their daryl fix.
Marketing Genius

Tyler

Tyler

Lurker

• Members
  • Locationsomewhere safe
They CAN kill him off. He's the most popular character, but he's not bigger then the The Walking Dead. The effect his death would have on ratings has been severely overestimated. I don't think people are grasping just how big this show is, it's breaking it's own records for goodness sake. It's the biggest show in basic cable in history, and has the highest demographic between 18-49. He's not as big as his fanboys and fangirls like to believe, all this 'Daryl dies, we riot/stop watching crap' - is mostly from the most hardcore fans which is a obviously number pretty insignificant to the TWD fanbase, while it can't be proven - logic can be brought into it. People act as if Millions would stop watching if Daryl was killed - and that's exactly how many people would need to stop watching for him NOT to die. In-fact the ratings will probably go up once he dies, a big death/events happens - people tune in to find what happens next. This has been the same deal in the history of television. At worst i think there will be a loss of half million of viewership in the long run. I think Daryl is awesome, and Reedus does an awesome job of playing him - and sorry if i came off as grumpy - but the degree to which he has been overestimated is baffling.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

and that's exactly how many people would need to stop watching for him NOT to die. In-fact the ratings will probably go up once he dies, a big death/events happens - people tune in to find what happens next.

True- but only to a point.

The TV series Dallas was a ratings giant in its day, but killing off Bobby Ewing ended up being bad for the show. The immediate aftermath was a ratings dip, followed by a preposterous ploy to bring him back (an entire season was a dream).

That said, Walking dead can survive Daryl's death.

I'm just saying there's a cumulative effect from killing off too many characters too fast. Eventually, it ceases to be shocking. You don't want the reaction to be a shrug of shoulders or a roll of the eyes when a character is killed off.

Also, you need a cast of interesting characters.

As of right now, the show could easily be called "Daryl and the Neurotics."

And they need to stop going overboard trying to create impossible choices/ moral dilemmas because in many cases, it's just making the characters look weak and indecisive. What they did with Andrea/ Woodbury is a prime example.

Daryl is decisive compared to.. well, just about everybody else and that's why people favor him so much.

Tyler

Tyler

Lurker

• Members
  • Locationsomewhere safe

True- but only to a point.

The TV series Dallas was a ratings giant in its day, but killing off Bobby Ewing ended up being bad for the show. The immediate aftermath was a ratings dip, followed by a preposterous ploy to bring him back (an entire season was a dream).

That said, Walking dead can survive Daryl's death.

I'm just saying there's a cumulative effect from killing off too many characters too fast. Eventually, it ceases to be shocking. You don't want the reaction to be a shrug of shoulders or a roll of the eyes when a character is killed off.

Also, you need a cast of interesting characters.

As of right now, the show could easily be called "Daryl and the Neurotics."

I think the show can survive for sure. His death won't have THAT big of an impact on 10-12 million ratings an episode. I've seen people say they will lose half their viewers. I cant believe people actually have this notion that 5 million people watch the show for Daryl. It's ridiculous I agree with the bolded, and i don't think he's going to die this season or the next. Maybe season 5. He's the third safest on the show in my opinion. And i don't mind if his death is used for shock value as long as it's used to move the plot forward aswell. For example many people and i have speculated that he should be the one to get. COMIC SPOILER -
Spoiler

Oh and that last part is subjective. He's an interesting character, but not the only interesting character IMO.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
I think how great of an impact Daryl's death would have on ratings would depend on if they step up their writing of some of the newer characters. I'm not sure even the casual audience is terribly interested in what Andrea is doing or anyone at Woodbury. If they don't flesh out some of the new characters, and make them likeable enough to draw interest, then when Daryl dies one of the most fleshed out characters on the show dies.

Not that this represents the masses, but none of my friends but me go online about TWD, so I would say they are casual fans, and all of them think Daryl is one of the most interesting characters. I think in general, people just root for him. There might be a lot of viewers immediately after he died, like you said, to "see what happens", but if there aren't great characters to replace his screen time, interest will begin to wane. Sometimes that is how it happens on shows. It is gradual, so that it almost seems like the cause is inexplicable, except that the numbers begin to curiously decline not long after such-and-such was killed off/left.

Anyway, I don't think Daryl will die for awhile, my guess would be end of next season or even later.

NoZombieNoCry

NoZombieNoCry

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationMordor
Why he even has to die? Thats the beauty, he is not in the comics so ANYTHING can happen to him. He is like a wildcard and I dont see the dropping that line, or losing that plot resource. Perhaps if a non comic character is built as strong as Daryl, they can let the redneck go.

NoZombieNoCry

NoZombieNoCry

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationMordor

Then Merle is definitely Paul Walnuts :)

Thats for sure. Also dont you think andrea is becoming Adriana Lacerva alike?

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

he is not in the comics

I think this is why you see entire threads pondering the question of Daryl's death.

I can't remember the last time I saw a thread reading "When will (Glenn, Maggie, Herchell, Michonne, Andrea, Carl) die?"

I think the die-hard comics fans sorta resent the fact that a non-comic character has become the breakout character of the series.

It's hard not to come to that conclusion, no matter what they may say.

In the comic, there's popular characters that have lived on for a very, very, very long time and a couple of survivors from the beginning who are still there, but far fewer people seem to question it.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!