What I Think Of The Walking Dead

thoughts walking dead the think bad negatives things like dont

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
Since the main points have already been well covered, I'll just be LittleSirEcho here. I've been distinctly underwhelmed by S03 so far. It had some good scenes, but as a whole it just didn't work that well for me.

I understand that there need to be action scenes and that's what many viewers are here for. However to me even the action scenes seemed to be dark, confusing, and with so many flash cuts they were hard to understand. Maybe I'm just dense, and can't appreciate an action scene. Never seemed to be a problem before though.

The whole Woodbury plot was a yawner to me. I understand it's a setup for the later plot line, but still. Danai Guirra does a great job of using expression to act in my opinion, but a bit of dialogue here and there would go a long way too.

I'm not hating on the show here. I still watch it. In S01 and S02 I was glued to the couch while it was on. This season if the dog comes up with her tennis ball while the show is coming on, I put it on record, and we go out to play fetch.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Trippy

Trippy

S-mart Employee

• Members
The show, to me, has stayed true to what the comic has always intended to be: Survival. Even if it's not following the source material to an exact "T", it's still portraying Kirkman's original idea. The Walking Dead isn't about the walkers, it's about the people fighting to survive in this messed up world.

So, yeah. It's going to be depressing, because that's what the source material is. There's also going to be action scenes, because everyone complained about the lack of them in the previous season. Characters are going die, regardless if we think it's too soon or too late, and the story is going to progress.

I'll admit, the show isn't perfect. The way they portray Governor story line has me on the fence, and I can't make up my mind as whether I like it, or if I find it boring. But, I'm hoping it'll all come together in some chaotic, dramatic way.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
I loved S1 & S2. But as I've said before, S3 seems more a synopsis than a story. Some of your posts have me wondering - Wondering if the writers believe ALL viewers are able to fill in gaps because of the comics. I've never read them and I need the character development I'm not getting this season.

remmdog

remmdog

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCT
Well I will break the mold from reading through. I thought Season 1 first half was fantastic, Wildfire and CDC meh. First episode S2 fantastic, second half fantastic. Season 3, wish they slowed the tempo a bit and had them surviving a day or two, but overall have enjoyed every scene except for one (eaten up lori). I do agree details are left out and would have been nice to have the extra information. But the show is still my most anticipated night of TV, I find myself watching live episode and re-watching at least three times during the week because nothing else matches the intensity of TWD. Hence joining a fan site forum for the show.

My wife, who has no idea a comic exists for the show, pretty much nails the plot lines and what's going on as well. So in my view the gaps aren't that large for the average viewer. I think the comic readers hold the show to a higher standard then the average viewer same as GoT.

I do think the amount of characters in the show makes it difficult to keep progression of the storyline and pacing with character development.

watsupbro27

watsupbro27

Infected

• Members
Agreed

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

Well I will break the mold from reading through. I thought Season 1 first half was fantastic, Wildfire and CDC meh. First episode S2 fantastic, second half fantastic. Season 3, wish they slowed the tempo a bit and had them surviving a day or two, but overall have enjoyed every scene except for one (eaten up lori). I do agree details are left out and would have been nice to have the extra information. But the show is still my most anticipated night of TV, I find myself watching live episode and re-watching at least three times during the week because nothing else matches the intensity of TWD. Hence joining a fan site forum for the show.

My wife, who has no idea a comic exists for the show, pretty much nails the plot lines and what's going on as well. So in my view the gaps aren't that large for the average viewer. I think the comic readers hold the show to a higher standard then the average viewer same as GoT.

I do think the amount of characters in the show makes it difficult to keep progression of the storyline and pacing with character development.

I agree the number of characters might be a problem. But if the writers had filled in the gaps, there wouldn't be so many arguments/debates on this board about the missing info and what it means.

EXE.DMG

EXE.DMG

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
Shane's downward spiral into hatred and jealousy was awesome. If you read the comics you'd be a little more upset about how Shane's story goes. ;)

http://www.ReadTheWalkingDead.com

For Collectors, By Collectors.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon
great

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members
I'm kinda lost this season with all the movement between the two camps. WHat does the Gov want? Are resources the issue? Does he want potential rivals wiped out? Why is he taking in some survivors, and why this particular group? They seem pretty incapable of defending themselves or contributing anything to the group. (Then again, I just see them milling around town as opposed to working.) Why is he willing to "waste" resources on them?
I'd be much more satisfied if I understood where he was coming from.

journeynsolace

journeynsolace

Roamer

• Members
My two cents...

Season 1 was well-paced with action being balanced well with character moments and 'creepiness'.

Season 2 had huge pacing issues but had some amazing episodes, ones that primarily focused on the characters decision-making, such as what to do about Sophia, whether to stay or leave the group entirely, the role of guns and property ownership, what to do with Randall, etc. The episodes and moments that focused more on these decisions that survivors would have to face in a ZA were most interesting, particularly the conflict between Shane and Rick, which was largely about decision-making and not just about "wanting" Lori. The actual search for Sophia was too long and the love triangle was too drawn out too and not a "decision making" issue that was interesting for the audience (at least not for me).

Season 3 has neither the "creepiness" of the first season or enough focus on these decisions survivors have to make of the second season. Why didn't we see the Michonne/Andrea conversation for why to stay/leave? Why didn't we see the Governor's reasons/motivations more clearly for taking out the military or wanting to destroy the prison group? Why haven't we seen people expressing concern over Rick's mental state? I think we saw some good moments in the first two episodes, particularly with how to handle the prisoners, but a lot of other interesting decision-making issues and opportunities for characterization have been glossed over in favor of action, action, action (at least to me). There are just too many issues in Season 3 that leave fans having to fill in the blanks that should be IN the show, even if the show leaves it ambiguous as to the motivation or reasoning.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

My two cents...

Season 1 was well-paced with action being balanced well with character moments and 'creepiness'.

Season 2 had huge pacing issues but had some amazing episodes, ones that primarily focused on the characters decision-making, such as what to do about Sophia, whether to stay or leave the group entirely, the role of guns and property ownership, what to do with Randall, etc. The episodes and moments that focused more on these decisions that survivors would have to face in a ZA were most interesting, particularly the conflict between Shane and Rick, which was largely about decision-making and not just about "wanting" Lori. The actual search for Sophia was too long and the love triangle was too drawn out too and not a "decision making" issue that was interesting for the audience (at least not for me).

Season 3 has neither the "creepiness" of the first season or enough focus on these decisions survivors have to make of the second season. Why didn't we see the Michonne/Andrea conversation for why to stay/leave? Why didn't we see the Governor's reasons/motivations more clearly for taking out the military or wanting to destroy the prison group? Why haven't we seen people expressing concern over Rick's mental state? I think we saw some good moments in the first two episodes, particularly with how to handle the prisoners, but a lot of other interesting decision-making issues and opportunities for characterization have been glossed over in favor of action, action, action (at least to me). There are just too many issues in Season 3 that leave fans having to fill in the blanks that should be IN the show, even if the show leaves it ambiguous as to the motivation or reasoning.

I completely agree with your analysis. And my only question about S2 is WHY they wrote Lori pitting Rick and Shane against one another. It seems the writing around her character led to a lot of "Lori-hate." Her dialogue could have led to Shane's break. "She loves me - she loves me not...."

For me, this season is a big "meh."

kat3281

kat3281

Infected

• Members

I completely agree with your analysis. And my only question about S2 is WHY they wrote Lori pitting Rick and Shane against one another. It seems the writing around her character led to a lot of "Lori-hate." Her dialogue could have led to Shane's break. "She loves me - she loves me not...."

For me, this season is a big "meh."

Considering how surprised the writers/producers seemed by the Lori hate, I am not sure they wrote her the way the meant to, or at least she came of as more manipulatve than they intended. In fairness, a large portion of fans were either big Rick or Shane fans in which case we held her to a higher standard or were more critical than we would have been if the same behavior had come from any other woman in the group. When you add in the fact that she never had a clue where her son (who was just recently shot) was, it rubbed many people the wrong way. The primary reason they even were at Hershel's was to look for a missing child, yet with that many adults, Carl was still off on his own half the time. In a group like this, "it takes a village to raise a child" should be more evident where everyone takes turns taking care of the children (and they seem to being now at the prison). I do think that they worked hard in early season 3 to make Lori more likable and for her to seem contrite for the way she treated Rick, especially the way she pushed him away in the finale once she found out about Shane. They also showed how badly both Rick and Carl were treating her now, likely in part to make us feel more sympathetic towards her. For me, it did work, I was pretty upset when she died because I was finally starting to like her and want her in the group.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

For me, it did work, I was pretty upset when she died because I was finally starting to like her and want her in the group.

Not me. I was only sorry she wasn't eaten alive.

She burned her bridges, and I didn't buy the reconciliation.

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.

. Who else agrees that as soon as Shane died, the show got boring. The fact that they kill off so many major characters, destroys the story. Shane was a massive part of the story and was very entertaining to watch. Same goes for Dale,T-Dog,Lori etc..The whole prison thing, with every cool character dying sucks. Its a boring and depressing environment compared to the farm

Shanes death was long overdue, not to mention how 2d his character is.
Killing off major characters? Thats kind of a huge part of TWD , how no one is safe in this world and no one is invincible. This isn't some action movie where all the "good" guys win and come out unscathed.
And as for depressing environment , the whole world is in ruins and dead rotting corpses are walking around eating people.

The show got boring when they looked for Sophia for half a season.
     “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.”

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA
Lori's character has taken a lot of criticism for bad parenting. I think I would've tied that little shit to a tree. Carl is the one who rattled my chain at the farm. He simply wouldn't obey. Turn your back and he was gone. I never blamed Lori for his escapades.

What I DID blame her - rather, the writers - for, was having all that fluctuation between Rick and Shane. Telling Rick he was dangerous, only to butter Shane up afterwards. She had the guys' heads spinning.

Many found the entire farm sequence boring, but if not for that season, we wouldn't really "know" the people who remain. We couldn't fully appreciate the trauma of barnageddon on Hershell, as well as that of those who fired on them. Carol, seeing her daughter and watching her die. It was all a well-designed season to show Rick's progression from "man of the law" to mistrust of everyone the group encounters.

Season 3: Evil, stupid or mute characters. No depth. If I wanted to see just repeat killing, I could replay the same scene over and over again. Sorry, but I want to know WHO I'm watching. Otherwise, it's meaningless makeup and violence for violence's sake.

Darylrocks

Darylrocks

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationEdmond,ok

Lori's character has taken a lot of criticism for bad parenting. I think I would've tied that little shit to a tree. Carl is the one who rattled my chain at the farm. He simply wouldn't obey. Turn your back and he was gone. I never blamed Lori for his escapades.

What I DID blame her - rather, the writers - for, was having all that fluctuation between Rick and Shane. Telling Rick he was dangerous, only to butter Shane up afterwards. She had the guys' heads spinning.

Many found the entire farm sequence boring, but if not for that season, we wouldn't really "know" the people who remain. We couldn't fully appreciate the trauma of barnageddon on Hershell, as well as that of those who fired on them. Carol, seeing her daughter and watching her die. It was all a well-designed season to show Rick's progression from "man of the law" to mistrust of everyone the group encounters.

Season 3: Evil, stupid or mute characters. No depth. If I wanted to see just repeat killing, I could replay the same scene over and over again. Sorry, but I want to know WHO I'm watching. Otherwise, it's meaningless makeup and violence for violence's sake.

I totally agree. We need to have more scenes with people actually saying meaningful stuff. They just say a few words and then they are off doing something else. We need them to talk and yell and say what is on there minds. Most people would not like Daryl as much if not for the scenes with Carol about looking for Sophie. I think that is what this season is missing. Jmo.

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members

Maybe the writers were hoping for a viewer like me. I sympathized with her being torn between two people willing to put their lives on the line for her and Carl. How do you cut one lose and tell the other, "Thanks for the help but I don't really need you anymore"?
Assuming Rick was dead, I don't see any reason for Lori not to accept Shane's help (or whatever else he had to offer if she was interested.) By the time Rick returned, she had a bond with Shane. I think that she was conflicted and didn't want to hurt either person. The ramifications of that were messy, but how else could she have handled it?

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

Maybe the writers were hoping for a viewer like me. I sympathized with her being torn between two people willing to put their lives on the line for her and Carl.

It was more than two. She almost got Glenn and Maggie killed.

How do you cut one lose and tell the other, "Thanks for the help but I don't really need you anymore"?
Assuming Rick was dead, I don't see any reason for Lori not to accept Shane's help (or whatever else he had to offer if she was interested.) By the time Rick returned, she had a bond with Shane. I think that she was conflicted and didn't want to hurt either person. The ramifications of that were messy, but how else could she have handled it?

Make a choice in front of BOTH of them to make it clear. Her way - Shane ended up dead, and Rick might have.

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

How?

Make a choice in front of BOTH of them to make it clear. Her way - Shane ended up dead, and Rick might have.

There was nothing Lori could have done to change Shane's choices. Shane decided that he could get Lori back by killing Rick shortly after Rick showed up and nothing Lori said or did was going to change that. He was just biding his time and waiting for the best opportunity to murder Rick without Lori realizing that he had done so. Lori made mistakes, but she's not responsible for anyone's actions other than her own.

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members

Sending them off for the pregnanacy test? Lori couldn't have forseen that. Can't recall if M and G went for other items. If so, others as just as much to blame for the walker attack.

Shane was nuts. I think she was trying to handle it the best she could under really difficult circumstances. I imagine she loved them both to some degree

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

Sending them off for the pregnanacy test? Lori couldn't have forseen that. Can't recall if M and G went for other items. If so, others as just as much to blame for the walker attack.

When Lori asked Glenn to get the pregnancy test, he and Maggie were already planning to go into town to get more medicines and antibiotics from the pharmacy. That was when Glenn fumbled with the condoms because he was trying to hide the pregnancy test and Maggie said she'd have sex with him. So we could say that Glenn has Lori to thank for having such an active sex life now. ;)

Shane was nuts. I think she was trying to handle it the best she could under really difficult circumstances. I imagine she loved them both to some degree

I agree. Shane had been Rick's friend since childhood and was practically part of the family. He wasn't just some guy she picked up at random. There was a history there and that made it a very complicated situation. Lori made mistakes, but there wasn't anything she could have done that would change Shane's choices.

Logan5

Logan5

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • LocationThe Endless River
So glad I found this site!

Like a lot of folks here I never read or heard of the comic (and not really interested in reading it at this point). I much prefer the TV show. One benefit is not being disappointed in how they are not staying true to the comic (like Harry Potter and LOTR fans were). I did not even know it was based on a comic for a long time.

I loved the first season (except for being way too short). I really enjoyed season 2 as well, although like some, the farm started dragging a bit at times. Both seasons had great stories and great character development. And both seasons stuck with what drew people to it, Rick, his group, and their journey through the ZA.

Season 3 has left a lot to be desired for me. I really have no interest in the Gov or his town. We need to see Ricks group meeting, interacting with other groups and adding some new members, the show needs that. But 2 story lines going on at the same time is boring and takes too much time away from what I think is the main point of the TV show. And that is Rick and his group. I do not know or care what the main idea of the comic is because this is the TV show we are talking about. Yes it gets it roots and characters from the comic but it has and will continue to go its own way. Since day one it has been about Rick and his group.

For those who say people have to die off, you are correct. But there are ways to do this without removing the characters that for 2 seasons a lot of us have invested a lot of time and interest in. Watch any Star Trek show for example and you will see what I mean. My interest in this show is because of the characters, the group and how they interact with each other, with new people and of course the zombies. If they kill off many more of the main characters then I will probably stop watching.

As others have said, shows have their ups and downs and I can certainly live with this. But I think a lot of fans need to have characters they can relate to, root for and be able to see from season to season. I think AMC needs to take a page out of the book the Harry Potter and LOTR’s producers did. And that is; we of course want the fans of the books (or comics) to enjoy the movie (TV show). But they are far smaller in number than average movie goer who has not read the book and wants an exciting movie. The movie or TV show has to bring in the largest demographics it can in order to be successful. AMC has a fine like to walk. Cater to a too small of a particular fan base and you risk losing the larger audience and with them, the high ratings you enjoy.

Just my 2 cents.

Logan

259e5p1.jpg

Luv2readt.

Luv2readt.

S-mart Employee

• Members
Loved season One and Two. Didn't think the pace of the farm was too slow because the characters were always going off farm and getting into trouble. The farm also had the barn and wondering when the zombies were going to get out. There was enough character development to make me care about these people.
Never blamed Lori for Shane's obsession, she never encouraged him to think that she wasn't committed to Rick. He was her friend before and how do you walk that line?
Season three is messier to me. I just despise everything about Woodbury and all the people in it. Lori's death scene was dramatic but ruined by the bloated walker scenes. TDogg's death was sad but he did make his inevitable death memorable by saving Carol. That was true to his character.
Hated Rick's Rampage, Telemarketers from Heaven, and most of the violence has been overdone

ElloraDixon

ElloraDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
I loved season 1 and loved almost every episode of seson 2. But I am not into season 3 as much as I thought I would.

You know, when you write an essay and there are those words that connect, glue the ideas together? I feel that the show is missing scenes that connect the whole picture. I do not know how I can explain it better, but I really dont like the edition and, as others said, I miss the group interacting.
I hate the Gov scenes. Dont care about him, dont care about the town, dont care about some nerd playing with wakers. I know Woodbury is a big deal in the comics, and I know they had to play it on TV, but it just doesnt catch my attention.

Episode 1 of season 3 was pretty good, in my opinion. The scenes had a good sequence, it made perfect sense. From there it went downhill. I feel like I watch a show some dumb boy from my old scoold day wrote - bad, bad gramatic.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

I loved season 1 and loved almost every episode of seson 2. But I am not into season 3 as much as I thought I would.

You know, when you write an essay and there are those words that connect, glue the ideas together? I feel that the show is missing scenes that connect the whole picture. I do not know how I can explain it better, but I really dont like the edition and, as others said, I miss the group interacting.
I hate the Gov scenes. Dont care about him, dont care about the town, dont care about some nerd playing with wakers. I know Woodbury is a big deal in the comics, and I know they had to play it on TV, but it just doesnt catch my attention.

Episode 1 of season 3 was pretty good, in my opinion. The scenes had a good sequence, it made perfect sense. From there it went downhill. I feel like I watch a show some dumb boy from my old scoold day wrote - bad, bad gramatic.

The show has become more or less a synopsis, with the viewer filling in what's missing.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!