The Back Door To The Prison

S3

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan
I know Oscar and Axel told Rick's group that the fence was down on the far side of the prison, but I can't help but wonder how in the world did Rick miss that gaping, bombed-out whole in the prison when he did his perimeter check after clearing the courtyard in Seed (S3E1). During the episode, Hershel commented that Rick had circled the prison three times and that if he was going to find a weakness in the fence then he would have found it by now. So, like I said, how did Rick miss that?
And am I the only one wondering?

Also, Carol was up in the guard's shack keeping watch. Well, they better post someone out back too or uninvited visitors entering the back are going to be an ongoing problem at the prison.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon
As Herschel said, the prison cells are over run because of a hole in the fence.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
I'm really glad they gave us that info via Hershel, otherwise yeah, total BS. I do wonder, though, how that hole was originally created. I mean, a fire can't do that on its own, right?

remmdog

remmdog

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCT
Rick was checking the courtyard section they were in during seed; not the entire prison. Also in seed daryll and rick observed civilians mixed in with prisoners. They knew the prison was not 100% intact. The hole could have been a million things ; gas tank; ast; bomb.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

As Herschel said, the prison cells are over run because of a hole in the fence.

It doesn't make sense though if they knew it was there, that no one has tried to repair it.

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

I know Oscar and Axel told Rick's group that the fence was down on the far side of the prison, but I can't help but wonder how in the world did Rick miss that gaping, bombed-out whole in the prison when he did his perimeter check after clearing the courtyard in Seed (S3E1). During the episode, Hershel commented that Rick had circled the prison three times and that if he was going to find a weakness in the fence then he would have found it by now. So, like I said, how did Rick miss that?
And am I the only one wondering?

Also, Carol was up in the guard's shack keeping watch. Well, they better post someone out back too or uninvited visitors entering the back are going to be an ongoing problem at the prison.

They knew that breech was there - they discussed it when they were clearing out their cell block and that section of the prison yard because some of the walkers had civilian clothes. Oscar and Axel told them where the breech was when they asked Rick to let them join his group - it was in the cell block Rick gave them so they couldn't take the bodies outside to burn them. Prisons are typically divided into sections with fences, gates, cell doors, etc... Their cell block is secure because they can lock those doors so nobody can get to them from other parts of the prison. The same goes for that section of the yard - it is separated with it's own fence and gates. That's the perimeter Rick was checking that first night. They didn't go into other parts of the prison until later. All they have to do is keep that part of the prison locked down. People and walkers can get into that part of the prison, but they wouldn't be able to leave that cell block to get into other areas.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

It doesn't make sense though if they knew it was there, that no one has tried to repair it.

Exactly, they have Glenn taking time to close up this relatively small hole they cut in the outer fence when the prison was overrun, and T-Dog and Lori got bit. But no one is doing anything about the big ass hole on the other side of the prison. Like walkers are going to squeeze through the hole they cut (of course TWD zombies evolve with each episode) and even if they did they would be locked out of the other fence/gate. They would be trapped and readily apparent as soon as you walked out. Not like this other whole. It is huge and can potentially let in all kinds of invaders--walker and human alike.

All I am saying is someone should get some concrete mix and other such repair items on their next run. Home Depot and Walmart are probably full of the stuff. It isn't like it is high on the survival looting list.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
And while I am at it...

Where are the bodies that Axel and Oscar supposedly dumped out there and left? I didn't see any bodies. So, what happened to the prisoners bodies? Or is that a different big ass hole?

Check out my blog

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

Prisons are typically divided into sections with fences, gates, cell doors, etc... Their cell block is secure because they can lock those doors so nobody can get to them from other parts of the prison.

This. It's not like a house where everything is connected. Once a single cell block is secure, you're protected from everything else by doors with iron bars.

DeadJ

DeadJ

Infected

• Members
When Carl went into the blown up section to investigate tyrese and his group he shines his light on a sign that says "boiler room". Perhaps somebody tried to get the heat back on shortly after the prison was abandoned and caused a boiler explosion? Or a militarry pilot just decided to drop a bomb on the place?

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

Rick was checking the courtyard section they were in during seed; not the entire prison. Also in seed daryll and rick observed civilians mixed in with prisoners. They knew the prison was not 100% intact. The hole could have been a million things ; gas tank; ast; bomb.

I understand only checking that section that night, but you never go around he whole prison and survey the situation? Especially after what Oscar and Axel said. Not to mention T-Dog and Carol's deaths.

This. It's not like a house where everything is connected. Once a single cell block is secure, you're protected from everything else by doors with iron bars.

And that may be true of walkers, but Andrew already demonstrated that that is not true in regards to human threats.

Check out my blog

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Exactly, they have Glenn taking time to close up this relatively small hole they cut in the outer fence when the prison was overrun, and T-Dog and Lori got bit. But no one is doing anything about the big ass hole on the other side of the prison. Like walkers are going to squeeze through the hole they cut (of course TWD zombies evolve with each episode) and even if they did they would be locked out of the other fence/gate. They would be trapped and readily apparent as soon as you walked out. Not like this other whole. It is huge and can potentially let in all kinds of invaders--walker and human alike.

All I am saying is someone should get some concrete mix and other such repair items on their next run. Home Depot and Walmart are probably full of the stuff. It isn't like it is high on the survival looting list.

I even expected Tyreese to block it once they got in, since they were being pursued by walkers.

Since that hole was first mentioned by Oscar right before Rambo Andrew made the breeches in the prison, I assumed it was Andrew who made the hole. Or it even could have been made by prisoners/guards trying to escape during the initial outbreak.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

When Carl went into the blown up section to investigate tyrese and his group he shines his light on a sign that says "boiler room". Perhaps somebody tried to get the heat back on shortly after the prison was abandoned and caused a boiler explosion? Or a militarry pilot just decided to drop a bomb on the place?

Carl paused there because Lori died in the boiler room.

Check out my blog

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

I even expected Tyreese to block it once they got in since they were being pursued by walkers.

Since that hole was first mention by Oscar right before Rambo Andrew made the breeches in the prison, I assumed it was Andrew who made the hole. Or it even could have been made by prisoners trying to escape during the initial outbreak.

I doubt it was Andrew. They would have heard an explosion like that and been better prepared by the time the walkers arrived.

Check out my blog

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
The hole isn't as impactful as if you notice the hole is not only the wall of the building but also the outside wall of the prision. So if a walker happened to not go straight into the building they could just wander around toward where Rick & Carl came up with the name for the baby. Seriously check it when you see it..it's a straight shot from the looks of it.

Also when they had that talk behind them you see the gate wide open that Tdawg closed when he got bite the 1st time. Large enough to drive a truck thru!

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I doubt it was Andrew. They would have heard an explosion like that and been better prepared by the time the walkers arrived.

I meant the hole in the fence.

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

I understand only checking that section that night, but you never go around he whole prison and survey the situation? Especially after what Oscar and Axel said. Not to mention T-Dog and Carol's deaths.

And that may be true of walkers, but Andrew already demonstrated that that is not true in regards to human threats.

Andrew was already on the inside though - Rick's mistake for not at least confirming the walkers got him. He had an advantage in that he knew which cell block Rick's group had secured for themselves so he focused on opening those gates specifically and used that half eaten deer to lure walkers into that area. Tyreese's group enters through an existing breech in the outer fence and enters the damaged cell block. No need for them to cut into the secured area on the opposite side when there is already a hole in the fence there.

Of course, they do have to be on guard because any human could cut through the fence like they did to get in initially, but they are keeping watch and checking the perimeter of the secured area so they would probably catch someone trying to do that. The section of the prison Tyreese's group entered was on the opposite side and is blocked off so they wouldn't have been able to get into the cell block Rick's group has secured.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

I meant the hole in the fence.

It looked to me like the explosion caused the fence to buckle and collapse when bricks hit it.

Check out my blog

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

It looked to me like the explosion caused the fence to buckle and collapse when bricks hit it.

I'll have to watch that scene again. I missed parts of the beginning.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

Andrew was already on the inside though - Rick's mistake for not at least confirming the walkers got him. He had an advantage in that he knew which cell block Rick's group had secured for themselves so he focused on opening those gates specifically and used that half eaten deer to lure walkers into that area. Tyreese's group enters through an existing breech in the outer fence and enters the damaged cell block. No need for them to cut into the secured area on the opposite side when there is already a hole in the fence there.

Of course, they do have to be on guard because any human could cut through the fence like they did to get in initially, but they are keeping watch and checking the perimeter of the secured area so they would probably catch someone trying to do that. The section of the prison Tyreese's group entered was on the opposite side and is blocked off so they wouldn't have been able to get into the cell block Rick's group has secured.

I understand that Andrew opened the gates to the cell block that Rick's group was in. But where did the walkers come from? They weren't all prisoners. There were women with the walkers that killed T-Dog and Lori. How did those female walkers get onto the prison grounds. Rick, Glenn and Daryl were down at the main gate. They didn't come in that way. So, either they came in the same way Tyreese did or there is another weakness.

Check out my blog

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

I understand that Andrew opened the gates to the cell block that Rick's group was in. But where did the walkers come from? They weren't all prisoners. There were women with the walkers that killed T-Dog and Lori. How did those female walkers get onto the prison grounds. Rick, Glenn and Daryl were down at the main gate. They didn't come in that way. So, either they came in the same way Tyreese did or there is another weakness.

They came in through the gates Andrew opened - lured by the deer meat trail. Rick's group did not clear the entire prison of walkers - inside or out - yet. They have cleared that one section of the courtyard, their cell block, and now Rick has cleared the boiler block. They're doing it a little at a time and blocking off the cleared sections. The section with the breech will have to remain blocked off completely to prevent anyone from getting out of that cell block into the rest of the prison.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Yes, when they showed Andrew luring those walkers in with the deer, they showed a damaged part of the prison. So, I would guess that the hole was damaged from the explosion, Andrew discovered it and lured as many walkers in as he could. There were too many walkers in and out of the prison. He could not have done that from anywhere but the back part (that was not being watched) without being detected.

I'm re-watching now and you are right, that fence was bent up and damaged much more than just a hole. LOL

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

Yes, when they showed Andrew luring those walkers in with the deer, they showed a damaged part of the prison. So, I would guess that the hole was damaged from the explosion, Andrew discovered it and lured as many walkers in as he could. There were too many walkers in and out of the prison. He could not have done that from anywhere but the back part (that was not being watched) without being detected.

I'm re-watching now and your are right, that fenced was bent up and damaged much more than just a hole. LOL

This.

Andrew opened a gate into the section of the prison that Rick's group was in, but those walkers had to get in from somewhere other than the main gate. I didn't see the damaged part of the prison then, but I know they didn't just come through a gate into the courtyard. The fence to the courtyard was an inner fence. The walkers had to get in the outer fence somehow and it seems to have been through the same breach that Tyreese used. I hope so, because if not, then there is another breach.

Check out my blog

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

This.

Andrew opened a gate into the section of the prison that Rick's group was in, but those walkers had to get in from somewhere other than the main gate. I didn't see the damaged part of the prison then, but I know they didn't just come through a gate into the courtyard. The fence to the courtyard was an inner fence. The walkers had to get in the outer fence somehow and it seems to have been through the same breach that Tyreese used. I hope so, because if not, then there is another breach.

Looks like the same breach to me. Andrew still had to open the gates that led into Rick's cell block though. One of which was the large gate that T-Dog was closing when he got bit. They had closed that gate before when they cleared out that courtyard - Andrew opened it back up so walkers could get back in.

Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Infected

• Members
How much time has passed since Rick & Co. found the prison? At LEAST a couple weeks (judging from Hershel's recovery) Seriously, from a logical standpoint, one would do a 360 pass around the property (on a weekly basis), lest there be more walkers. Frustrating plot hole. :wallmad: And a GIANT gaping hole created by what looked like a rocket attack? WTF? No, I've not read the comics, so if this is explained in those, color me stupid. I personally, not wanting to get bit, would be doing a constant patrol. Unless a couple of tons of landmines were found to be deployed. And even then....

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!