The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 8 - Made To Suffer - Review

andrea the govenor rick michonne carl daryl merle tyreese?

The Walking Dead Midseason Finale "Made To Suffer" (323 )

What did you think of the midseason finale?

1. Excellent (247 [76.47%] - )

76.47%

2. Good - Some Critiques (64 [19.81%] - )

19.81%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (10 [3.10%] - )

3.10%

4. Poor (2 [0.62%] - )

0.62%

Will you be returning for the second half of the season?

1. Yes (317 [98.14%] - )

98.14%

2. Maybe (2 [0.62%] - )

0.62%

3. No - But I might be pulled back (0 [0.00%])

0.00%

4. Nope - TWD has lost me (4 [1.24%] - )

1.24%

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members

The second I saw tyreese, i knew Oscar was a a dead man.

Of Course! And I'm happy about it. Oscar was such a waste of space. He was so lackluster to me. Bring on Tyreese!

Ricktatorship

Ricktatorship

S-mart Employee

• Members
No sympathy for Penny at all because she should've died a long time ago. As for the Governer himself, WOAH! He is finally becoming the comic book guv!

steven8888

steven8888

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Daryl was just heartbreaking to watch. I almost feel like he wanted to get caught just so he could see Merle. And I'm confused as to what the Gov's gameplan is. He knows Merle didn't set him up, so is he just using him to throw the citizens a bone? He knows it was Michonne but she escaped so they need someone to take the blame.

The gov knows Merle didnt set him up but Merle did lie to him when he said that Michonne was dead. If he didnt lie then there would have been no assualt and his daughter Penny would still be alive... well a zombie actually and he would have both his eyes.
So Merle betrayed the one man you dont want to betray..

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members

No sympathy for Penny at all because she should've died a long time ago. As for the Governer himself, WOAH! He is finally becoming the comic book guv!

Yep, they're making the Governor match his comic self inside and out.

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members

The gov knows Merle didnt set him up but Merle did lie to him when he said that Michonne was dead. If he didnt lie then there would have been no assualt and his daughter Penny would still be alive... well a zombie actually and he would have both his eyes.
So Merle betrayed the one man you dont want to betray..

Got it! I totally forgot about that. Since Merle lied about that he doesn't know what else he's engineered behind his back.

Tyreese Apparition

Tyreese Apparition

Infected

• Members
When I read that Tyreese was gonna be introduced into season 3 I said "R.I.P Oscar".

Diablo Azul

Diablo Azul

Infected

• Members
Carol and Axel in the guard tower re-populating the earth.

JudithGrimes

JudithGrimes

Infected

• Members
Great episode !

Finally the Governer is here!

Merle and Daryl in the arena, that's great, can't wait to see the outcome of that

Stoked to see Tyrese and group

Andrea still sucks

Carl = Badass

One critique - when the Governer is unlocking Penny's gate she runs out to him. So now they run?

RIP Oscar

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members
Oh, I forgot to mention that Shane cameo was epic! lol

I could image Jon Bernthal coming down for a day and them saying. "Jon, just walk in slow motion and fall. Alright, cut!"

PhotoCrasher

PhotoCrasher

Infected

• Members
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Hey all... First time poster. Loved tonight's episode, can't wait until February now.

Did anyone else notice in the closing scene Milton in the background NOT cheering for Daryl and Merle's death!!! I have a feeling he will have a bigger part when the show returns. He's not evil like the rest of the Gov's crew.

Gates1986

Gates1986

Lurker

• Members
This was an all around excellent episode!

I absolutely loved the Shane cameo. For a second I was screaming "YES! SHANE"! at the tv screen.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
AMAZING episode!!! Tyreese and his group, Carol and Axel (hmmm..), The Governor and Michonne, and.....oh man that cliffhanger. I literally got goosebumps.

Without a single doubt though the best of the season so far. Waiting till February is gonna be hell :(

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon
Merle is Daryl's weakness. Daryll could slaughter walkers all day long but merle involved???

Daryl is weak around Merle and Daryl WILL die if Merle survives.

And someone, please put twos in michonne!!! She's a nut case and is a liability

Loving tyrese though, a strong character, full of real power, someone you;d need when the SHTF. let's not see him become another t-dog and oscar.

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?

Nope, very serious.

I just dont understand why michonne did this?

She could have at least used poor penny as a hostage.

I felt really bad for the Guv, he wanted to save his daughter. As a parent it really got to me.

Was kind of hoping that andrea would put twos in michonnes head

Somewhere there is a show you are watching that is completely different then the rest of this particular universe is watching, you either prove multiverse theory, or you are on doing some good drugs, either way, the people of this 'Verse great you and hope we can co-exist peacefully.

Was a good episode, nothing exciting or unexpected until the very end with the Governor turning on Merle. Andrea was completely clueless, as she has been since season one episode one. Was disappointed Daryl got swiped up so easy, but I think he had an Andrea moment, probably thought his big bro would get him out of trouble. The Tyrese group coming on was actually well done, that surprised the hell out of me, since the writing and plot advancements have been so ineptly performed the last few episodes.

meena76

meena76

S-mart Employee

• Members
Excellent excellent episode...so many things I didn't are coming.

The introduction to Tyress group was awesome, I didn't recognize that it was the prison they were in front of at first.

Michonne finding penny and then killing her, I knew it would go down like that.

Michonne and governor show done was epic...I thought he was going to kill her. They went in on each other for a minute.

Michonne and Andrea was not expecting that stand off

I feel michonne is somewhat desperate to get in with the Rick's group and holding in to all and any leverage she has.

there was so many things that just had me opened mouthed..

Daryl and Merle wow was not expecting the gov to turn on Merle like that, but he lied to him a lot so its not to shocking. I am worried for Daryl, i want Rick to rescue him.

The previews for February just makes the wait more excruciating.

Awesome freak'n episode. I love this show.

I heart Rick. Shane had to go.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

but what if "they" found a cure????

I thought michonne was scum for killing poor penny. why not just leave her in her cage? what if there would be a cure? or not? that wasnt michonnes decision right then to terminate that little girl. i felt bad for the Guv even though the Guv is warped in the head. that was a sad scene. Michonne is also warped in the head.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

One critique - when the Governer is unlocking Penny's gate she runs out to him. So now they run?

Huh, good observation. It definitely wouldn't be the first time they've cheated with the zombie rules on this show, but that is a big one. I suppose it didn't stick out to me/I'll give it a pass because it didn't effect anything.

Is anybody else finding Michonne's day one rage at The Governor a little weak? It's not a huge deal, but what has he ever really done that made her hate him so much? I mean, people have complained that she never really had enough information to even be suspicious of him in the first place, but that's much easier to chalk up to her going with a gut instinct. What would make her expose herself to so much danger by going back to Woodbury and waiting in his apartment like that? It clearly wasn't to save Andrea.

Zombie chick

Zombie chick

Lurker

• Members

This was an all around excellent episode!

I absolutely loved the Shane cameo. For a second I was screaming "YES! SHANE"! at the tv screen.

Seeing Shane's cameo made me miss him again. I think the group could have needed Shane and his craziness at this point.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

Somewhere there is a show you are watching that is completely different then the rest of this particular universe is watching, you either prove multiverse theory, or you are on doing some good drugs, either way, the people of this 'Verse great you and hope we can co-exist peacefully.

Was a good episode, nothing exciting or unexpected until the very end with the Governor turning on Merle. Andrea was completely clueless, as she has been since season one episode one. Was disappointed Daryl got swiped up so easy, but I think he had an Andrea moment, probably thought his big bro would get him out of trouble. The Tyrese group coming on was actually well done, that surprised the hell out of me, since the writing and plot advancements have been so ineptly performed the last few episodes.

damn love that "multiverse" comment, i've been watching and reading a lotabout that, the older i get the more i want to know, 41 and erring on the death part of life...

anyhoo, you dont feel an incy wincy bit sad for a father whos daughter became one of the undead and he kept her "safe" until some nut case michonne drove a sword through her head??? The guv was so upset when michonne took poor penny hostage, that was heart breaking.

The Guv is sick in the head, but that scene was rough for a father myself, no way would you want to see anyone kill your kids, that was sick. michonne is scum. that was unnecessary. she shouldve pushed penny to the guv and let him deal with her, not kill her.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
Ohhhhh man Shane looked bad-ass!! Overall, the episode was great. I like how Tyreese was introduced but I still prefer his comic introduction. And I'm gonna say it now, when The Governor and his army storms the prison, Hershel, Carol, and Judith will die for sure. One or both of the Dixon bro's may go also.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

anyhoo, you dont feel an incy wincy bit sad for a father whos daughter became one of the undead and he kept her "safe" until some nut case michonne drove a sword through her head?

Definitely.

What do you guys think about The Gov not wanting to pack things up and move into the prison? Is he truly concerned for the mental wellbeing of Woodbury? If I'm assuming the worst intentions in him, all I can come up with is that by feeling safer in the prison his own personal power could wane. Even that, though, feels like a stretch. There always has to be someone in charge, Woodbury could easily function in the prison with a governor.

T-E-X

T-E-X

Lurker

• Banned

What choice does he have? His ammo has to be running low and Woodsbury is now on high alert.

I think they stashed extra ammo by that Jeep Cherokee outside the walls where they ended after the firefight. After Michonne snuck off and Rick huddled with Daryl and Oscar, Rick says "we need to downsize" and they leave some bags (with ammo?) behind

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Huh, good observation. It definitely wouldn't be the first time they've cheated with the zombie rules on this show, but that is a big one. I suppose it didn't stick out to me/I'll give it a pass because it didn't effect anything.

Is anybody else finding Michonne's day one rage at The Governor a little weak? It's not a huge deal, but what has he ever really done that made her hate him so much? I mean, people have complained that she never really had enough information to even be suspicious of him in the first place, but that's much easier to chalk up to her going with a gut instinct. What would make her expose herself to so much danger by going back to Woodbury and waiting in his apartment like that? It clearly wasn't to save Andrea.

The Guv sent Merle and his men out to kill her. She wanted her revenge.
Part of me also thinks she wanted to go back for Andrea but after Andrea drew her gun on her, I think she realized that it was a lost
cause.

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

damn love that "multiverse" comment, i've been watching and reading a lotabout that, the older i get the more i want to know, 41 and erring on the death part of life...

anyhoo, you dont feel an incy wincy bit sad for a father whos daughter became one of the undead and he kept her "safe" until some nut case michonne drove a sword through her head??? The guv was so upset when michonne took poor penny hostage, that was heart breaking.

The Guv is sick in the head, but that scene was rough for a father myself, no way would you want to see anyone kill your kids, that was sick. michonne is scum. that was unnecessary. she shouldve pushed penny to the guv and let him deal with her, not kill her.

Penny died long before. Walkers are just reanimated corpses - and there is no cure for death. That's the same lesson Hershel had to learn in season 2 when he was keeping his dead wife and stepson in the barn with other walkers. They're dead and there is no cure so destroying them is an act of mercy. That part was repetitive, but it was still a good scene. Once Michonne found out that the governor sent Merle and some other goons to hunt her down and kill her, she was going to go after him and finding a walker hidden in his apartment - she was going to put it down.

HP00

HP00

Infected

• Members
Hi! New Poster :)

I really enjoyed this episode and was blown away but many aspects of it. What I think will happen with Daryl and Merle is that the Gov will make them fight to the death or something similar and eventually things go awry and they make their epic escape thus ending with Daryl bringing Merle back much to Glen's dismay as shown in the preview.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!