Which Group Would You Rather Be With?

woodbury ricks

BirdFor3

BirdFor3

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNew York
If Rick and the Gov were standing in front of you pleading their case for you to join their group. Who would you go with and why?

Would you go with the smiling, soft but crazy faced Gov? Or the tough, looks like he has been through a war Rick?

What questions would you ask them to help you make your decision?

What would be the deciding factor to your choice?

biancardi

biancardi

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBoston
good question. I think the allure of living in a "town" and having some creature comforts would be a strong pull for me. I guess it all depends on which group I stumbled across first. The Governor seems more than happy to allow people who aren't threats to his power to stay in his town, whereas Rick is not really open to new people in his group - even the other members of Rick's group are reluctant (comments by Maggie and Glenn point to that).

If I was not part of Rick's or Hershel's group initially, it would be hard for me to be accepted. So, initially, I would have to say the Governor's if I was not part of the initial group. Rick and Hershel would not allow me in, even IF I wanted to be part of their group.

That said, the Zombie games and having Merle as the Governor's henchman, would make me want to plot my escape the first chance I got. I probably would be a turncoat in Woodbury. Those two things, which are visible to everyone in the town (as I would assume that I do not have daily interactions with the Gov) would sour me quickly on living there. If Rick's group would have me, I would go then.

WOOPS!! I gave an answer to a question you didn't really ask - lol

Okay - if BOTH of them were in front of me and begging me to join their group.....Rick. Just because I don't like sweet talking men. I have the feeling the Governor would be a sweet talker and Rick would be brutally honest. Nothing to do with looks - HONEST!! lol

Bitergram

Bitergram

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
Probably Ricks because there is no such thing as a free lunch, which is what the Gov would be trying to sell you.

Bitergram

Bitergram

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
Also, them not wanting me in their group would make me want to join them more. Who, in the ZA, accepts people that easily? That doesn't even happen in the real world.

BirdFor3

BirdFor3

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNew York
People who accept you easily into a group have something planned for you and it's usually not something that will make you happy. They will either use you for your abilities and not care if something happens to you, or use you for cannon fodder.

BirdFor3

BirdFor3

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNew York
@biancardi
your edit made me laugh.. Thank you

morsel

morsel

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationAthens, GA
I dunno - I think the decision I'd make would depend on how much information I had.

Knowing what we know as the audience of the show, of course I'd rather take my chances with Rick's group. No question.

BUT, assuming I had no knowledge of the players involved - let's say I had simply survived a horrific ZA, lost my entire family, fled to the outskirts of Atlanta, camped in the woods for a few weeks, likely encountered walkers myself/spent nights in utter terror - the decision is more difficult.

On one hand, a prison sounds like an extremely safe place to be. Tough to get out, tough to get in. I'm assuming Rick would come across the way he does on the show - a straight shooter, if a bit grim.

On the other hand, a fortified town with various creature comforts would certainly seem very appealing. I would probably feel like I had a better chance to find answers as to what the hell was going on there. Add in the reassurances of a man who by all accounts appears to be kind-hearted and generous, a veritable beacon of light and hope in the midst of a crumbling world, and I think I might go with the guvna.

TheDalkingWead

TheDalkingWead

S-mart Employee

• Members

Probably Ricks because there is no such thing as a free lunch, which is what the Gov would be trying to sell you.

I haven't seen the Governor ask his townspeople for anything so. So far all we have seen from his people is smiles and handshakes towards him. They adore him.

I'd go with Woodbury hands down. Rick is my hero but he hasn't given the group anything but a year of one hardship after another. They were running for too long. Why were they running for so long and why didn't they think to find baby formula before the baby arrived since they knew of Lori's history of cesarean sections. Yes, Rick is doing better now but prison life is not for me. The Governor is strange and controlling but he knows how to run a town and how to keep a large group of people safe, happy, and well fed.

Dr.ChimRitchels

Dr.ChimRitchels

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDetroit, MI
Armed henchmen? No, thanks.
Curfews? Uh, uh.
Zombie fights? Barbaric, and juvenile.
Heads in fish tanks? Disgustingly weird. Major red flag.
Cold drinks?!?!
Sign me up.

Bitergram

Bitergram

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

I haven't seen the Governor ask his townspeople for anything so. So far all we have seen from his people is smiles and handshakes towards him. They adore him.

I'd go with Woodbury hands down. Rick is my hero but he hasn't given the group anything but a year of one hardship after another. They were running for too long. Why were they running for so long and why didn't they think to find baby formula before the baby arrived since they knew of Lori's history of cesarean sections. Yes, Rick is doing better now but prison life is not for me. The Governor is strange and controlling but he knows how to run a town and how to keep a large group of people safe, happy, and well fed.

I think everyone would chose the guy who offered you food and handshakes. Assuming we aren't all as thick skulled as Andrea, how would you not scope out what you just got invited into? I would probably chose the Guv at face value as well, but would eventually start questioning certain details like "you found two humvees and gun and ammo just laying around outside?" Wouldn't be much use though since you can't leave unless they make you, so it's pretty much a slow death sentence with handshakes. Ricks group still.

dorlar

dorlar

Infected

• Members
i personally would not follow either group or join either. Id form my own group and lead them to better choices than the comics and or tv show has shown.

morsel

morsel

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationAthens, GA

i personally would not follow either group or join either. Id form my own group and lead them to better choices than the comics and or tv show has shown.

that's the spirit!!!

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
Knowing what we know. I would go with Rick to the prison. There is a slight appeal to be in Woodbury with supplies, protection, and someone who has taken the leadership role but there are too many variables for me. Obviousbly, once there they won't allow you to leave. Should you ask too many questions, you may end up dead. At least with Rick's group, you know no matter what, they will stand by you and try to help you, unless you get bit, then either live or off yourself. But at least they give you a choice. Even with Michonne, a stranger, they were going to at least treat her wound then send her off with food and water.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

BirdFor3

BirdFor3

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNew York

Knowing what we know. I would go with Rick to the prison. There is a slight appeal to be in Woodbury with supplies, protection, and someone who has taken the leadership role but there are too many variables for me. Obviousbly, once there they won't allow you to leave. Should you ask too many questions, you may end up dead. At least with Rick's group, you know no matter what, they will stand by you and try to help you, unless you get bit, then either live or off yourself. But at least they give you a choice. Even with Michonne, a stranger, they were going to at least treat her wound then send her off with food and water.

I couldn't agree more with your post. Spot on

Lainey

Lainey

Infected

• Members
Well now, wait a minute. Is Daryl around? Because I'd join the group with Daryl in it. :P

waiplyn

waiplyn

Infected

• Members
  • Locationillinois
I would stay with the group which let me keep my weapon. So that would be Rick's group. Why would you ever feel comfortable unarmed?

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Well now, wait a minute. Is Daryl around? Because I'd join the group with Daryl in it. :P

THIS. Rick's group in a heartbeat if Daryl was there.

Assuming he wasn't though, it would take some consideration. Pros of Woodbury, peaceful, normal life with lots of different people. Cons: could never leave but really why would you want to assuming you were in the dark about the Gov?, walker fights, not crossing the Gov would be one but again besides trying to be the leader or continuously ignoring his pretty practical rules of staying inside after dark or not going outside walls (again why would you want to?). The biggest con I think would be not being able to have weapons. Assuming you were trained on weapons to even guard the wall you probably would eventually be recruited to be a henchmen, I would not be apart of Woodbury if it was my job to do his dirty work. Although I would want to be able to defend myself if the possibility arose that there was a breech in security. So the only "real" cons of Woodbury I think are being a henchmen and walker fights.

Pros of Ricks Group: Freedom of mobility, the ability to carry weapons, close bonds with people who become like your family and would risk their lives for you, although there would be times of ruthlessness it would be mostly in defense and your conscious for the most part would be clear. Cons: More likely to die in this group, less chance of being accepted as a member even if you aren't a threat, no real security of location, less people to be around if you werent accepted in as a "couple".

Winner? To be decided. I'm definitely leaning towards Woodbury though as long as I didn't have to be a henchmen.

ghostdays

ghostdays

Infected

• Members
  • Locationthe nightosphere
Most likely Rick's group since I know what goes on in Woodbury- pretty weird. Woodbury's supplies and safety would probably appeal to me more but like I said, I know what goes on in Woodbury so the prison I would join for sure.

biancardi

biancardi

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBoston

well, yeah. No brainer there!

:nobrainzombis: :nobrainzombis:

DoctorManhattan89

DoctorManhattan89

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPittsburgh
You have to look at them from the perspective of not knowing about Woodbury at all otherwise who would choose Rick? You have the seemingly ideal town with armed guard at the walls and a suave leader. None of us would know he was bad without watching the show so I feel like we have to look at it that way.
"We're all puppets Laurie, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky
Rick's group in a heartbeat. Woodbury is too suspicious and it seems too much like a police state. People showing fear of the governor, curfew enforced by armed henchman on the walls, wasting resources to make ice, and the governor himself - the oily politician. I'd be looking for ways out of Woodbury within an hour.

LittleAssKicker

LittleAssKicker

Infected

• Members
  • LocationLumpy Abyss
Rick's.

Purely because quaint little Rockwellian towns make me nervous.
We got this, man! We got this by the ass!
Roger - Dawn of the Dead.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
Rick's. That Guv has those creep eyes and I'm sure I'd spot it as he's trying to sweet talk me into joining Stepfordwifetown.

PlaneJane21

PlaneJane21

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationPanama
Excellent and thought-provoking question. Knowing what I know from watching the show, I'd choose Rick's group, of course. But what if I didn't know? What if I had to base my choice solely on a question and answer session with them? That's much trickier.

The Governor would lie. He'd lie to me like he lies to the people of Woodbury. Fortunately, the Governor goes overboard with his bogus promises like he did when he told Andrea and Michonne that if they decided to leave he'd give them weapons, food, water, medicine, and a vehicle. What sounds too good to be true usually is, and Woodbury sounds impossibly too good to be true.

Rick is honest to a fault and it's so obvious that he means what he says and says what he means. Conversely, the Governor comes across as a snake oil salesman.

I'd be much more inclined to go with Rick's "we've got a hard road ahead of us, but if we stick together, we can make it" speech than the Governor's "don't worry; I'll take care of everything, and you'll be living life on easy street" spiel. I would not want to be with someone who promised to take care of everything for me, because I know there would be heavy strings attached in that scenario. I'd rather be an autonomous member of a group that had my back, instead of a ward of the Governor's state.

What questions would I ask them? I'd ask:

What are the rules that you require your people to follow?
How are people who break the rules disciplined?
What would my job be in your group?
Do I get to keep what's mine? My vehicle, my weapons, etc.
What happens if I ever decide this isn't working out and want to leave?
Can I ask your people a few questions in private?

I think in the end, I would choose Rick's group. In the past, I've had the displeasure of knowing a charming, charismatic, sociopath, and I recognize the warning signs. The Governor has lying sociopath written all over him.

ApocalypseBoy

ApocalypseBoy

Infected

• Members
I'll probably join the crazy hermit's group. Somehow he managed to survive this long without having to live on the road or keep a collection of severed heads in fishtanks

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!