Cabin In The Woods?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

head_creeps

head_creeps

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 104 posts

This whole "red zone" thing is highly questionable.

In one episode, they seem to be an island and never venture far from the town. In the next, they are shooting National Guardsmen after driving there and then walking to surround them or hunting Michonne in the woods. It is really spotty. They are aware of the prison but never investigated it. They had no idea that a guy was living in a cabin less than a mile from their walls but are immediately aware of a helicopter going down even though this may not have happened within sight of the town.

I love the show but this rubberband awareness of Woodbury is a bit frustrating.

They are aware of the prison. They talked about it, with the Governor even commenting that it's amazing there's a group in there, since Merle had previously scouted it and reported it "impossible" to clear.

Most people in Woodbury never leave town, but the scouts/henchmen do, when instructed and/or lead by the Gov.

Who's to say they didn't know of the guy in the cabin? They may have concluced he posed no threat and had nothing worth taking. Or they may have seen the boarded up cabin and chalked it up as sealed and abandoned.

Edited by head_creeps, 26 November 2012 - 04:53 PM.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
It was pretty random and I can only think of it as a way for Michonne to assert what type of survivor she is. I'm sure the others would have done the same since he was making all that noise, but Michonne was the first to act. Perhaps Rick wouldn't have done that since he seemed like a harmless hermit, but he's learning. Other than that, I didn't see the need for it.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Locationcuffed to a roof
Could he have been using the dead animal stink the same way Rick and co. used walker blood and Michonne used her pets? I understand maybe he was nuts but I don't see anyone walking into a crowd of walkers when there was a back door. Not to mention the group could have handled the walker group with relative ease IMO.

The walkers would have been funneled into the doorway. While not the most ideal plan they would be better off that way than out in the open. However with the crazy guy being dead things change and chucking him out there worked out easier.

ssnider75

ssnider75

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 120 posts

They are aware of the prison. They talked about it, with the Governor even commenting that it's amazing there's a group in there, since Merle had previously scouted it and reported it "impossible" to clear.

Most people in Woodbury never leave town, but the scouts/henchmen do, when instructed and/or lead by the Gov.

Who's to say they didn't know of the guy in the cabin? They may have concluced he posed no threat and had nothing worth taking. Or they may have seen the boarded up cabin and chalked it up as sealed and abandoned.

I agree that they were aware of the prison. What does not make sense to me is that there are about 75 people living in this town which means they need a large amount of resources. I have not see a ton of crops within the City to support that amount of people. Also, in many scenes, you see people using things that must have been looted from outside the City since there are only so many bottles of alcohol and so many changes of clothes within the City. Plus with electricity, they must be looting fuel to power all those generators.

This means that they must be doing extensive looting outside the City. Whether the prison was impossible to take or not, you would have no choice but to try riskier "missions" in order to support that many people. Hell, Rick's group took the prison out of necessity and they only had about 1/7 the amount of people that Woodbury does.

As for the guy in the cabin, everything we have seen of Woodbury would suggest that they wouldn't leave him alone. He is an armed crazy man which could be a potential threat to you or your scouts. He could lead a big herd to your door or shoot one of your people. The governor's whole premise has been that he does what he needs to in order to keep the town safe. This guy in the cabin is a loose end.

WalkMeDead

WalkMeDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 107 posts
This crazy dude may have served the group with survivor tips...seeimg how he had survived everything alone in the cabin...may have been a good hunter himself...nevertheless I find it ridiculous that he is not aware of the zombies...how did he survive for so long without knowing and what did he survive on?

T-E-X

T-E-X

Lurker

• Banned
  • 305 posts
Plainjane and serenity sea nailed this one. This old hermit symbolizes again the "good" group's own savagery compared to the Woodbury group's seeming civility.

Also interesting parallel in this old hermit's use as zombie distraction with what Shane did to Otis.

This season has proven that Shane's instincts were right all along on many things.

But both Shane (and now it seems the Governor) take this savage new reality too far by jumping off into madness. Rick ventured very close to this lost mental state after Lori's death, but has somehow pulled himself out of the depths of madness while still maintaining the savage survival instincts he honed along the way.

zombiehunter

zombiehunter

Biter

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationCanada
The Governor may have left the crazy old man alone because he drew a few walkers away from the town. Also maybe he was a scout or messenger and was getting rations from the town.

That was quite the herd though...

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 892 posts

This whole "red zone" thing is highly questionable.

In one episode, they seem to be an island and never venture far from the town. In the next, they are shooting National Guardsmen after driving there and then walking to surround them or hunting Michonne in the woods. It is really spotty. They are aware of the prison but never investigated it. They had no idea that a guy was living in a cabin less than a mile from their walls but are immediately aware of a helicopter going down even though this may not have happened within sight of the town.

I love the show but this rubberband awareness of Woodbury is a bit frustrating.

Who says The Governor wasn't aware of this man in the woods? I say he did know and doesn't care. Why would he? He's not a threat. The Governor only worries about people or groups that pose a threat to him. A single wack-job in the woods is not a threat.

ssnider75

ssnider75

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 120 posts

Who says The Governor wasn't aware of this man in the woods? I say he did know and doesn't care. Why would he? He's not a threat. The Governor only worries about people or groups that pose a threat to him. A single wack-job in the woods is not a threat.

I could site a few real world examples of a "single wack-job" being a very real threat. In this case, you have a crazy man, less than one mile from your town that you are trying to protect and he is armed. This guy could bring a whole herd down on you by accident or on purpose. It just does not fit with the way the Governor has handled everything else. If they had entered this cabin and the guy was some kind of scout for the town then that would have made sense. He would be a forward position to report any threats coming to the town but that did not seem to be the case. The Governor has shown that he does not like leaving loose ends or anything to chance yet here is this crazy guy.

My guess is that the writers were trying to show a paralell with how the town handled the old dying guy they were running the tests on vs. how Rick's group handled this guy which others have already mentioned but it just did not make a lot of sense to me realistically.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 892 posts

I could site a few real world examples of a "single wack-job" being a very real threat. In this case, you have a crazy man, less than one mile from your town that you are trying to protect and he is armed. This guy could bring a whole herd down on you by accident or on purpose. It just does not fit with the way the Governor has handled everything else. If they had entered this cabin and the guy was some kind of scout for the town then that would have made sense. He would be a forward position to report any threats coming to the town but that did not seem to be the case. The Governor has shown that he does not like leaving loose ends or anything to chance yet here is this crazy guy.

My guess is that the writers were trying to show a paralell with how the town handled the old dying guy they were running the tests on vs. how Rick's group handled this guy which others have already mentioned but it just did not make a lot of sense to me realistically.

Crazy or whacko doesn't mean he's unibomber material. I saw him as a paranoid loner who just had 4 strangers bust open his door. I'm sure The Governor had it scouted and probably determined he's nothing to worry about.

dogwalker

dogwalker

Lurker

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • LocationEssex/ London
I feel like the Gov didn't kill the guy in the cabin because he lived in the 'red zone' and therefore it wasn't worth the risk, or he hasn't actually come into contact with the cabin at all. I thought the scene was really different to anything we've seen before. I'd wanted them to show someone who was truly mad for a while, but it just saddened me. I wasn't too sad when he died as I thought it was probably the best thing for him at that point, but seeing the dog got me choked up a little bit :P. I was with my boyfriend watching it and did the classic "there's something in my eye" routine.

I did find it interesting that the old guy had survived for so long though. I guess if you stay quiet and keep your head down the dead don't come knocking...

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • 2,729 posts
  • LocationHanging out with Tyreese

Not only was the man in the woods not a threat, but killing him added no real value to TG. He didn't have any resources that TG needed. Also, the hermit didn't need saving, so he wasn't a candidate for Woodbury. All who enter here much worship TG, their messiah.

Posted Image "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Also interesting parallel in this old hermit's use as zombie distraction with what Shane did to Otis.

This season has proven that Shane's instincts were right all along on many things.

I do not see it as much.

Otis and Shane were working togather when Shane shot him. Then Shane lied about the circumstances about his death right to Otis's family and friends. It was the beginning of his insanity/obsession/shaved head/moral compass busting.

Cabin guy was a stranger, not all there mentally, and placed everyone inside the cabin in danger of dying if he opened the door. Cabin guy could have been tackled and subdued... But Michonne was the closest to him and being wounded she killed him instead.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationLondon
the guy had lost his mind, he was warning rick's group that he would call the cops. he was so wacko he had forgotten about the walkers, he ran to open the door, even though at an earlier stage he had boarded up his cabin.
His dog died, and he mustve lost his mind. maybe that was his only link with the old world?

His tiny cabin was 1-2 miles from woodbury. Woodbury would unlikely be making trips into the woods to see if they could find a cabin. They'd be scouting every small town.

AND maybe they did find the cabin, found it worthless and moved on.

The guy was a hunter, his cabin was full of hunting gear so he may have hidden when the Guv came snooping around.

The cabin scene was VERY plausible IMHO.

Again, brilliant writing on behalf of TWD team.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationLondon

Not only was the man in the woods not a threat, but killing him added no real value to TG. He didn't have any resources that TG needed. Also, the hermit didn't need saving, so he wasn't a candidate for Woodbury. All who enter here much worship TG, their messiah.

Exactly! This is what I just wrote as well. he was no use to the Guv, mentally unstable, no supplies just some guy in a cabin who couldn't be tamed.

GoKillZombies

GoKillZombies

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 182 posts
I like these little diversions from the big picture. It reminds me of the magic of season one. These kinds of things...like the cabin in the woods...would happen. I can accept that maybe the guy was left alone by the Gov...perhaps in exchange for look out services. I cant believe the Gov is unaware of the cabins existence. This is a sparsely developed area...they would have checked ALL potential buildings for resources. I know that would have been my number one priority. So Im making a prediction that the Govs people will come across the cabin and make a statement like....those bastards got our lookout...or...poor Herb..he lasted a long time, though. I expect some kind of acknowlegement from the Gov or his people. If this had been Atlanta, the city, we are talking about..I could see how someone might be able to hide out, undetected. But this is rural GA....and Woodbury needs lots of supplies. No way the Gov or at least his top guys are unaware of the cabin. Who knows? That cabin could have been full of canned goods or bottled water...or ammo. They would have checked it out. Fo' sho'.

ssnider75

ssnider75

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 120 posts
In the grand scheme of the show, this has little impact. For some reason it just did not sit right with me.

I am thinking if I were in this situation, I would not allow a crazy guy to be living about a mile from my town. The risk of what he could do is too great.

Either way, he is dead now and it won't matter from here on.

Gonza_Fes

Gonza_Fes

Lurker

• Members
  • 251 posts
the cabin scene was great!

of course i feel bad for the poor guy... but he was nuts

theres no way that the governor didnt know about this cabin... maybe this guy arrived there way after the gov people looted the place? maybe he was part of woodbury and lost his mind so decided to left and the gov just let him go....

taking consideration this guy have been alone for a while, the lost of his pet plus maybe suffering of starvation might not only increase his insanity but also his way to see "the reality"

I dont know you guys but i hope the next webizode will show "the story of the cabin guy"

who wants KFC?

PlaneJane21

PlaneJane21

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationPanama
I'm wondering if perhaps the Governor's people might be the "cops" the crazy old man was threatening to call before he tried to run out the door.

LittleAssKicker

LittleAssKicker

Infected

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLumpy Abyss

the guy had lost his mind, he was warning rick's group that he would call the cops. he was so wacko he had forgotten about the walkers, he ran to open the door, even though at an earlier stage he had boarded up his cabin.
His dog died, and he mustve lost his mind. maybe that was his only link with the old world?

His tiny cabin was 1-2 miles from woodbury. Woodbury would unlikely be making trips into the woods to see if they could find a cabin. They'd be scouting every small town.

The guy was a hunter, his cabin was full of hunting gear so he may have hidden when the Guv came snooping around.

Well said.

I'm wondering if perhaps the Governor's people might be the "cops" the crazy old man was threatening to call before he tried to run out the door.

Interesting.

Regardless, that line got a laugh out of me.
We got this, man! We got this by the ass!
Roger - Dawn of the Dead.

wolfefire

wolfefire

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 127 posts
Maybe its just to show how ill-prepared Woodbury is for Rick's group. I talked to some friends about this and 10 of Rick's group to 70 of the Governor's just doesn't seem fair. Rick is gonna tear them up. We will see it in the next episode. :zombiethumbsup:

Gonza_Fes

Gonza_Fes

Lurker

• Members
  • 251 posts
In the half season finally when the woodbury guy heard noises inside the building, he got inside and start to call somebody and to not be afraid ... of course there were Rick & Co... but.. maybe this guy tough there was the man of the cabin???

Maybe that guy used to be a woodbury resident till he lost his mind... or was a well know wacko guy that soemtimes get inside woodbury????

To me was kinda weird that this guy got inside the building without taking any precautions... and calling for somebody

Rague

Rague

Infected

• Members
  • 67 posts

Um, I think I am missing something here, because this reply doesn't make sense....

I think he was hinting at the movie, because IIRC the movie is about a faux "horror movie" going on. Think of what SAW, Lost, and Hostel would be like if you smashed their plots together.

Narren

Narren

Lurker

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • LocationOver there

He could be a huge threat. Walls keep walkers out...but not necessarily humans. And even if he couldn't penetrate, he could bring the herds down on them. Will he? Maybe...maybe not, but the Governor has shown that he isn't the type to take chances or hope for the best.

In one line you say that his cabin was worthless, and in the next you say it is full of hunting gear. And this guy might be crazy, but he isn't dead. That means he has access to food and water. The Governor wouldn't turn that down, and he wouldn't leave a crazy hermit loose anywhere near his city. It's sloppy writing. I love this show, and I love a lot of aspects of the writing, but it's full of holes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!