Rick's Revolver?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

shanesghost

shanesghost

Infected

• Members
  • 77 posts
Forgive me if this has already been covered (new user), but what is with Rick carrying a revolver as his sidearm?

I know it assists in exuding a certain cowboy charm, but realistically, in a ZA environment, why would anyone choose to have 6 shots at their disposable when they could have 3 times that amount in a modern pistol (plus extra mags for easy reloads).

A .357 magnum also is somewhat an overkill for zombies. Since only headshots matter, a low recoil, hi-cap weapon such as 9mm, or even .22 should be the order of the day

Has the group not stumbled upon some Glocks, Berettas, etc. that Rick could commandeer for himself?

Along that vein, same for the rifles. The group has few, and I can't recall any modern ones - just Dale's bolt-action hunting rifle.

AR-15s, AK47 would be ideal in dealing with herds, but most characters just carry handguns.

Edited by shanesghost, 22 November 2012 - 04:27 AM.

MyBoyfriendDaryl

MyBoyfriendDaryl

Infected

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationFresno
I think it is the classic sheriff theme. The sheriff that saves the town with his classic, trusty pistol. Good observation.

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • 8,333 posts
It has unlimited ammo....no seriously, it does.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,259 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys

It has unlimited ammo....no seriously, it does.

Now don't exaggerate, Ansce. It's really not unlimited. Just seems that way with the belt feed modification.
Posted Image
The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,259 posts

Forgive me if this has already been covered (new user), but what is with Rick carrying a revolver as his sidearm?

I know it assists in exuding a certain cowboy charm, but realistically, in a ZA environment, why would anyone choose to have 6 shots at their disposable when they could have 3 times that amount in a modern pistol (plus extra mags for easy reloads).

A .357 magnum also is somewhat an overkill for zombies. Since only headshots matter, a low recoil, hi-cap weapon such as 9mm, or even .22 should be the order of the day

Has the group not stumbled upon some Glocks, Berettas, etc. that Rick could commandeer for himself?

Along that vein, same for the rifles. The group has few, and I can't recall any modern ones - just Dale's bolt-action hunting rifle.

AR-15s, AK47 would be ideal in dealing with herds, but most characters just carry handguns.

Actually all your points are valid and you do have a legitimate post here. I shouldn't slap you around on your first post. Welcome to R&L by the way. All I can tell you is that it's television. The majority of viewers have no idea of the merits of one weapon over another. They see that Colt Python and it's big, bold, and badass. They all say, OOOHH WOW!

Everybody is happy except us gun monkeys. I guess there's not enough of us in the demographic to matter.

Luckily once ya get your zombie fix here you can scoot on over to the Internet Firearms Movie Data Base. Over there we can wallow in a welter of firearms data. Sneering at the foolish unarmed masses in a condescending manner the whole time. Ain't nobody said you could only have one addiction going at a time. Heck, guns an zombies are the least of my many vices.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page
The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

waffle808

waffle808

Infected

• Members
  • 22 posts
a revolver is easier on wear n tear since its got fewer springs, etc. than a regular 1911 style handgun. without proper cleaning a 1911 with a clip could jam up if the springs in the clip went bad whereas the revolver wouldnt have that problem. also a 357 can accept 357 ammo or 38 special ammo, making it versatile because it can accept two types of ammo that you would expect to find.

T-E-X

T-E-X

Lurker

• Banned
  • 305 posts

a revolver is easier on wear n tear since its got fewer springs, etc. than a regular 1911 style handgun. without proper cleaning a 1911 with a clip could jam up if the springs in the clip went bad whereas the revolver wouldnt have that problem. also a 357 can accept 357 ammo or 38 special ammo, making it versatile because it can accept two types of ammo that you would expect to find.

Posted Image

Also a 1911 is far from a "regular" style handgun. It's design, while classic and timeless, is also less reliable and more prone to needing tweaks, repairs, spring changes.

A modern Glock type semi-auto handgun is about as reliable as any revolver.

Also revolvers are not fool-proof and certainly not without need for maintenance - the inner workings of a revolver are like those of an old analog clock or watch. Work well until something wears, get blocked (by dirt etc inside), or breaks - then fixing it requires an experienced gunsmith

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationLondon
I think that the writers are not concerned with
rick's revolver being "modern" but as backwoodsroamer says, it's more of a statement, harking back to cowboys and indians, the sheriff riding into town with his cowboy gun saving the town type stereotype. It also looks cool.

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members
  • 322 posts
Yall fellas got good points here! I think also it has sentimental value to Rick. After all, it was his personal gun he used when he was a cop, im sure it reminds him of his old job an his position of power he once had...

Timbersnake

Timbersnake

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColumbia Tn
My Dad was a cop in the eighties. He had a .357 magnum as most of the other cops used at the time. He shot 38's in it in practice, probably because of the cost for the more powerful magnums.

I had a few handguns through the years. I bought a Beretta 9mm 92F about 1989 or so. He said he still liked his revolver because of the feel, less maintenance and power.

He had a couple of those speed loaders and could load and fire pretty quick, 6 bullets at a time of course. My Beretta holds 15 in the mag and one in the barrel, though I have had it jam with reloads , so I would not suggest carrying it that way.

In a ZA I think I would carry two guns anyway , especially if I knew a battle was going to happen. I think I might try my .22 caliber Ruger Mk II stainless, from a safe distance. Its very accurate and reliable plus ammunition is more bullets to the pound than bigger calibers, though penetration could be an issue.They could also be used with a silencer quite easily if you could find one.

But if I had to go against the Merle clan, I would for sure get something bigger.

Back to the question, I would say all the previous commenters have the right idea. His colt revolver , looks good and menacing on TV(and also is in real life), it is somewhat more reliable and easier to maintain, cops , especially the older guys were familiar with them plus they will shoot two different bullets.

Timbersnake

Timbersnake

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColumbia Tn
My Dad was a cop in the eighties. He had a .357 magnum as most of the other cops used at the time. He shot 38's in it in practice, probably because of the cost for the more powerful magnums.

I had a few handguns through the years. I bought a Beretta 9mm 92F about 1989 or so. He said he still liked his revolver because of the feel, less maintenance and power.

He had a couple of those speed loaders and could load and fire pretty quick, 6 bullets at a time of course. My Beretta holds 15 in the mag and one in the barrel, though I have had it jam with reloads , so I would not suggest carrying it that way.

In a ZA I think I would carry two guns anyway , especially if I knew a battle was going to happen. I think I might try my .22 caliber Ruger Mk II stainless, from a safe distance. Its very accurate and reliable plus ammunition is more bullets to the pound than bigger calibers, though penetration could be an issue.They could also be used with a silencer quite easily if you could find one.

But if I had to go against the Merle clan, I would for sure get something bigger.

Back to the question, I would say all the previous commenters have the right idea. His colt revolver , looks good and menacing on TV(and also is in real life), it is somewhat more reliable and easier to maintain, cops , especially the older guys were familiar with them plus they will shoot two different bullets.

Timbersnake

Timbersnake

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColumbia Tn
Sorry about the double post. I dont know why that happened.

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Rick may have chosen the .357 for it's stopping power. It also may have been a gift.
If it's something he likes and is good shot with it. Why not use it?

Another handy weapon to have when different types of ammo is available, is a single or double barreled shotgun.
Pickup several types of ammo adaptors and you have universal weapon. Albeit, slow reloading.

http://www.gunadapte...pters/12-gauge/

The plus side is from a static position you could pretty much clean out your AO. Accurate, hell no, but ammo is ammo...

gswizzle

gswizzle

Infected

• Members
  • 6 posts
A Revolver is more reliable than any other pistol. I also saw Rick's Python as one of his few things still tying him to his humanity lately.

shanesghost

shanesghost

Infected

• Members
  • 77 posts

A Revolver is more reliable than any other pistol. I also saw Rick's Python as one of his few things still tying him to his humanity lately.

Cylinders bind, timing can get messed up on a revolver - and there is still a capacity problem. We saw it during the battle with Shane, where he had to dispatch two walkers with one bullet when pinned.

I would take a Glock over any handgun if it was available - as it has proven to be the most reliable platform (at least to me, among countless others). I also get 18 rounds in a 17, and would have time to load another mag when I ran out of ammo if droves of walkers were descending. Try that with a revolver with undead hands pawing at you....

Narren

Narren

Lurker

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationOver there

Cylinders bind, timing can get messed up on a revolver - and there is still a capacity problem. We saw it during the battle with Shane, where he had to dispatch two walkers with one bullet when pinned.

I would take a Glock over any handgun if it was available - as it has proven to be the most reliable platform (at least to me, among countless others). I also get 18 rounds in a 17, and would have time to load another mag when I ran out of ammo if droves of walkers were descending. Try that with a revolver with undead hands pawing at you....

You're not wrong, revolvers aren't quite us sturdy as people will have you believe, but they're still going to be more reliable than pretty much any automatic. And in a world were gun maintenance will become increasingly difficult, there's something to be said for using revolvers, double barrels, and bolt actions.

But I think the bottom line is that Rick likes his revolver. He's trained with it, so It's probably the weapon that he's fastest with and the best shot with. I'm going to shoot better with a Beretta or a Glock, simply because I've trained a lot on both weapons. And Rick shows numerous times that he'll use other firearms when the situation calls for it.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationHanging out with Tyreese
For a gun novice like myself, what would make maintenance more difficult? What supplies are needed?

Posted Image "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Steph

Steph

♥Rick's Girl♥

• Moderators
  • 2,832 posts
  • LocationRick's Right Hip
All this gun talk is making me want to play Red Dead again. That's about my limit of gun knowledge right there lol.
Posted Image

T-E-X

T-E-X

Lurker

• Banned
  • 305 posts

For a gun novice like myself, what would make maintenance more difficult? What supplies are needed?

Any firearm needs to be cleaned and lubed. But Glocks can be run "dirty" and "dry" better and longer than almost any other semi-auto handgun.

http://theprepared.c.../administrator/

Beyond these field maintenance basics, all semi-autos and revolvers over time will need springs and other wear-n-tear parts (ejectors, extractors, cylinder stops etc) replaced. Typically this requires specialized parts, tools, and gunsmith expertise - another worthwhile (though under publicized) facet of Glock engineering is the entire firearm consists of only 37 individual modular parts that with very basic assembly/disassembly knowledge can be replaced using only a 3/32 pin punch.

So Glocks run better dirty, their parts last longer (because of looser manufacturing tolerances), and when they do wear out are almost always user replaceable with just some basic knowledge ... even quality modern revolvers from Smith & Wesson or Ruger can't match this

Add in the Glock's higher ammunition capacity (more "firepower") and generally easier trigger pull weight and you have an all around package that surpasses even the ol' workhorse revolvers.

Nearly every law enforcement agency now uses Glock or similar style semi-auto handguns. .357 Magnum revolvers are a dying breed and very rarely seen these days as a primary patrol officer weapon system.

Zen_Master

Zen_Master

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia

in the Season 3 opener, Carol has an AK-47 or variant and Hershel has a CAR-15/M4 variant. apparently, the group did find some modern rifles in the eight month time jump, and obviously prior to finding the small stash of weapons in the prison.

bluemonkeys911

bluemonkeys911

Infected

• Members
  • 17 posts
You bring up a good point. I guess it's just for symbolism and not practicality.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,259 posts
Maybe Rick just hasn't had enough ammo to go all Jerry Miculek on the walkers yet. This isn't how the average shooter does it by the way. He's even more astounding live, and yes he hits what he's aiming yet.

As has been said, revolvers aren't as infallible as most people think. I've seen cylinders lock up, ejector rods back out, empty cartridges stick under the extractor, and other problems. That being said my carry weapons are usually a S&W Model 10 with a Model 38 as backup. The reason is they're what I started out with years ago and have always worked for me, and I don't intend to engage multiple targets with a handgun. The handgun simply lets me break contact and get to a better weapon.

I used a Browning Hi-Power when I was a security contractor down south in the 80's. I like them a lot. They fit my hand well and point naturally for me. My primary armament then was a rifle as it should be when you plan some serious business.

I own Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, Brownings, 1911's, CZs, and a lot of other military surplus automatics. I've used other brands. Top two in reliability for me have been Glock and Ruger. That being said neither one is a target weapon without modifications that affect reliability. The key to reliability in an automatic is good quality magazines and ammunition. Skimping on either is a mistake.

An automatic is usually much easier to repair than a revolver. Revolvers are generally more accurate, but the flip side of that is the parts generally need hand fitting and are not usually drop ins apart from springs. The improved accuracy is generally not noticeable to an average shooter anyway.

These are just my opinions. I have been a police officer, jailer, security contractor, firearms instructor, armorer, and owned a gun shop so I do have some experience to base my opinions on.

Edited by backwoodsroamer, 23 November 2012 - 06:40 PM.

scottyboii95

scottyboii95

Infected

• Members
  • 10 posts
you make a great point.

Narren

Narren

Lurker

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationOver there

An automatic is usually much easier to repair than a revolver. Revolvers are generally more accurate

I've always experienced the opposite, but it's probably more of a problem with me than the firearm.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,259 posts

I've always experienced the opposite, but it's probably more of a problem with me than the firearm.

I've always been able to get new shooters up and hitting with an automatic quicker than a revolver when I was instructing. I'm not saying you're a new shooter, just that automatics are more ergonomic and easier to shoot.

When I was shooting metallic silhouette, which is all about distance, I got better results from a rock stock S&W 629 and Dan Wesson .357 than I could with a couple of tricked out Gold Cups I had sunk a lot of money into. Anyway a .45 ACP was iffy for knocking down those steel targets even if I hit them.The rigid lock up of a good revolver gives more inherent mechanical accuracy than an automatic can. The circumstances where you can use that accuracy are very limited.

These days my eyes have gone and I can't hit anything beyond fifty yards with a handgun. Can't hit it if you can't see it. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!