• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

BethTexas

BethTexas

Forum Turd

• Banned
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Along for the ride describes my experience of this season perfectly. Yeah, I'll reserve judgment until I see how it's executed, ofcourse. Have done so since the first spoilers.

Preach, sister. Rick going crazy in the comics made much more sense because he lost almost everyone he knew and loved in the attack on the prison. TV Rick only lost Lori and no one else. Yes, T-Dog died but that didn't really phaze him. They're really pushing all the craziness they can get out of Andy's acting. I mean, he's good at it but come on. This is too much.

Not to mention, Lori's death was not much of a surprise. A C-section no matter who did it would have been fatal. Shock, infection, blood loss, pick yer poison, buckeroo. Not that it wasn't tragic, bhut a little overdone,.

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members
  • 509 posts
I like the direction the series is going.

I thought season 1 and the first half of season 2 were weak and fairly boring.

I still think "Rick" is extremely weak and not worthy of leadership, and he is but a shell of the Rick Grimes in the original story.

Can't please everyone.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,051 posts
As I have said before, when this show stops being 'us against the zombies' and becomes gang A versus gang B, I will stop watching.

I can get human/human conflict on hundreds of shows, as well as the news.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,278 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys

Edit: BWR, retreat back into the woods from whence you came. Only there shall ye be safe from these glee sucking bastards like I.

Posted Image

2ly50ft.jpg

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

As I have said before, when this show stops being 'us against the zombies' and becomes gang A versus gang B, I will stop watching.

I can get human/human conflict on hundreds of shows, as well as the news.

As nicely as I can say this, you may want to jump ship soon, and I'm surprised you haven't already. This show has shown, from the first season, that humans are always going to at least match the threat the zombies pose. With the Vatos, Merle, Shane, Herschel's misconceptions of the zombie condition, Randall's group, Otis, Carl, the Governor and his men, and the military, I don't see how people still have issues with new human v. human conflict being introduced.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,051 posts

As nicely as I can say this, you may want to jump ship soon, and I'm surprised you haven't already. This show has shown, from the first season, that humans are always going to at least match the threat the zombies pose. With the Vatos, Merle, Shane, Herschel's misconceptions of the zombie condition, Randall's group, Otis, Carl, the Governor and his men, and the military, I don't see how people still have issues with new human v. human conflict being introduced.

Rick's group has lost far more people to walkers than to other people.

I have no issue with philosophical disagreements. It is open warfare I will not accept. It is both unrealistic and cliche.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

I have no issue with philosophical disagreements. It is open warfare I will not accept. It is both unrealistic and cliche.

Well, the pattern of people from Rick's group dying to zombies has held true. No one from that group has died to human hands this season (with the exception of Lori, but that hardly counts). I agree that open warfare should not happen in this show, but I do believe there has to be some form of confrontation between Rick's group and the Governor's.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationAlabama for real Roll Tide
The reality of the situation is that MONEY is driving this show. TWD is the only shows that is owned by AMC. It has on the average more that viewers than Both Mad Men and Breaking Bad (shows that AMC does NOT own yet have higher budgets for). No matter how much you bitch and moan nothing will change. Durabont got the boot and that sucked, but that's on AMC's head. TWD is getting treated like redheaded stepchild and will "suck hind tit" because the critics love MM and BB (although TWD is an Internationally revered series).

I would like to tell the critics here: If you can do better GO FOR IT.

If you honestly think that AMC execs or any members of the TWD team read these forums, YOU ARE DELUSIONAL.

Rule of Show Business Know what to kiss and when.

The Comic and the Show are different Universes. Hardcore CB fans just have to accept that. I bet my wife that the phone would ring this past episode.

I won :)

"I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."- Rust Cohle- True Detective

Fear 2 Stop

Fear 2 Stop

Infected

• Members
  • 46 posts
now I feel like something's wrong with my wife and i since we actually like this season

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,051 posts

Well, the pattern of people from Rick's group dying to zombies has held true. No one from that group has died to human hands this season (with the exception of Lori, but that hardly counts). I agree that open warfare should not happen in this show, but I do believe there has to be some form of confrontation between Rick's group and the Governor's.

Agreed, but i think it was a mistake to have both storylines running at the same time. Frankly, I think having the group find a 'safe' place like the prison is a big mistake. It forces the writers to come up with a way to force them out again, as the show is over if they are safe.

bournesto33

bournesto33

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Locationtexas
I agree way to much to reinterrate, but I'll Leave it at this, the writers need to step it up not because the show is weak, but because the show can epic in the right hands. All of us are fans and we just want the best for the show. Raise of hands, who actually takes the time out of their week to sit and watch another show... I don't, not because there isn't other good shows, but because the walking dead is worth taking time to watch.

Evil Ken

Evil Ken

Infected

• Members
  • 2 posts
My first post here friends. Rabid fan.

I actually agree quite a bit. In addition, we've lost a ton of the high quality ICONIC cinematography that Frank is a MASTER of. What scene this season is even remotely on par with the little walker girl Rick shot; Rick riding the horse into Atlanta; or Sophia coming out of the barn. That's an art. Sadly, Glen doesn't have that gift.

Seasons 1 & 2 were of big screen movie quality. Now it looks like a TV show. And I'm afraid it's becoming YAZA show.

It's shock gotcha TV. And that is usually white hot...but burns out quick. What happens is you keep doing over the top stuff...you constantly have to outdo yourself...and because of that things start getting ridiculous.

Another few small but IMO important things missing...the incredible selection of contemporary soundtrack. There's been none. What made Nebraska work was Clutch-Regulator taking it home. Watch it without that. HUGE difference. And gone are the erie bumper graphics and music between commercial breaks. Commercials occur so abruptly now. There's no flow.

And lastly...rabid comic fan since day one. But not everything that works in the comics will translate to the TV show. Period.

EvoQ

EvoQ

Infected

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAlabama

This is nothing but my opinion, of course, which I don’t expect many people here to share.

I’m pretty disappointed with Season 3 of TWD. After the producers’ comments at the end of last season, I was afraid that TWD would turn into an action oriented genre stereotype filled with cheap shocks and fan pandering and it has. The acting is still good, the production values are still high, but all the depth is gone. I’m not saying that the episodes are not exciting or even moving at times, but adrenaline rushes do not a good show make. When the episodes are not frenetic, they are kind of boring, as in Woodbury. If I wanted to watch a group of badass zombie killers offing zombies and crazed human survivors, I’d play a video game or watch a B movie.

TWD was a series depicting a fantastical situation but it was grounded in psychological and sociological realism, and had things to say about survival and its price. The first two seasons did a great job of exploring the characters and situations so we could relate to them and understand what it would be like to be in that situation, even if we are aren’t ass kicking slayer types. Now TWD is just about over-the-top mad dictators and zombie killing.

I’m not a fan of the horror genre and I don’t care one way or the other about zombies, though I do like dystopian fiction. I started watching The Walking Dead because of the reviews and continued because of the terrible beauty of the exquisite Days Gone By, an amazing piece of television. IMO the first two seasons were great, including the first half of last season. Those episodes laid down the characterizations that made the action and deaths so meaningful. Actually Season 3 is coasting on that.

But now the pace has not just picked up, it’s frenetic, especially at the prison. If I had seen the first couple of episodes of TWD Season 3 without having watched seasons 1 and 2, I’d have abandoned it by now. It’s too bad the Governor doesn’t have a mustache to twirl because he is that much of a stereotype. So far I find Michonne rather boring – all she does is strut around, look cool and glower. And Merle – his reintroduction is just fan pandering. (Can you tell I don’t care two hoots about Merle?)

I’m almost bored and certainly unsatisfied. And I agree with those who say that there’s a lot of fan n pandering going on but it’s not directed at Daryl fangirls but at comic fans. I’m glad that I never read the comics because that whole Woodbury plot is just silly and from what I’ve been unable to avoid reading here, just gets sillier.

I am only one person (two if you count my husband who is of the same opinion) and it will be easy to dismiss me. But fanboys and girls are never enough to make any television series last and TWD’s high ratings also encompass people like us. There will be others out there in the real world who are also dissatisfied. Last night’s episode was a little less rushed but was not particularly well written and directed IMO. When the director has to explain some plot points after the show, something is wrong. I think I’ll probably watch a couple more episodes to see if the current trend continues and then give up.

I miss Frank Darabont.

Bring it on.

I suppose YOU Liked the ENDLESS Hunt for Sophia ? Sorry to say but you are in a Very Small group with your Opinion, which you have every right to come forward with. BUT since YOU have then I can also say...Were You watching the same thing I was ??...LoL...Season 3 will keep this TWD going onto seasons 4-5-6 maybe. If the writers had kept to the Sophia Hunt crap then I and 90% of everyone else would have said, it's been nice but C'Ya !

rexmundi

rexmundi

Lurker

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
For all the maligning of the Sophia story arc last season, the show did remarkably well in viewers, and the image of Sophia shambling out of the barn is one of the iconic moments of this series. Perhaps the people with the minority opinon are that small group who take time to vent on an internet fan forum.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,051 posts

I agree way to much to reinterrate, but I'll Leave it at this, the writers need to step it up not because the show is weak, but because the show can epic in the right hands. All of us are fans and we just want the best for the show. Raise of hands, who actually takes the time out of their week to sit and watch another show... I don't, not because there isn't other good shows, but because the walking dead is worth taking time to watch.

I do when Game of Thrones is running.

kombat

kombat

Roamer

• Members
  • 815 posts

Everyone complained about the slowness of Season 2, so they up the ante...and people complain about it. Get over yourself. Don't watch then.

Wrong. Not everyone complained about season 2.

Nareen

Nareen

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationCanada

I suppose YOU Liked the ENDLESS Hunt for Sophia ? Sorry to say but you are in a Very Small group with your Opinion, which you have every right to come forward with. BUT since YOU have then I can also say...Were You watching the same thing I was ??...LoL...Season 3 will keep this TWD going onto seasons 4-5-6 maybe. If the writers had kept to the Sophia Hunt crap then I and 90% of everyone else would have said, it's been nice but C'Ya !

Yes I did like episodes that contained the hunt for Sophia and was never bored. There was a huge amount of character development and enough action for my tastes. In fact, when I rewatched Season 2 on DVD not too long ago, I was surprised at how quickly the Barnageddon came up.

I said at the outset that I knew I was in a minority on this board and I also knew that several people would do the Ciao thing - so predictable. But the insults of teenage boys are meaningless to me so carry on. Actually I'm surprised at the number of people who agree with me to varying degrees.

I think I misspoke to an extent when I said that this season TWD was pandering to comic fans. Maybe pure action fans would have been better. I forgot that Merle is not in the comics and I do think its pandering to have him return as a main character. For me some of the Woodbury stuff is over-the-top and apparently it's been toned down from the comic? The mind boggles!

Good point that things that burn white-hot can burn out more quickly. Producers become arrogant and think they can do no wrong. But audiences are fickle.

I've said my piece in this and a couple of other threads and I'm done. I don't want to become one of those posters who drags down everyone else by going on and on and on about how bad something is.

kombat

kombat

Roamer

• Members
  • 815 posts
As others have said, the

My first post here friends. Rabid fan.

I actually agree quite a bit. In addition, we've lost a ton of the high quality ICONIC cinematography that Frank is a MASTER of. What scene this season is even remotely on par with the little walker girl Rick shot; Rick riding the horse into Atlanta; or Sophia coming out of the barn. That's an art. Sadly, Glen doesn't have that gift.

Seasons 1 & 2 were of big screen movie quality. Now it looks like a TV show. And I'm afraid it's becoming YAZA show.

It's shock gotcha TV. And that is usually white hot...but burns out quick. What happens is you keep doing over the top stuff...you constantly have to outdo yourself...and because of that things start getting ridiculous.

Another few small but IMO important things missing...the incredible selection of contemporary soundtrack. There's been none. What made Nebraska work was Clutch-Regulator taking it home. Watch it without that. HUGE difference. And gone are the erie bumper graphics and music between commercial breaks. Commercials occur so abruptly now. There's no flow.

And lastly...rabid comic fan since day one. But not everything that works in the comics will translate to the TV show. Period.

While I am one that liked season 2, even the first half, there have been a few great moments under Mazzara. The end of Nebraska. The shot of Shane and Rick in the field, with the full moon overhead.

While I do think this season is a step down, for me it's because of the glaring plot holes and ridiculousness of some things. If a reasonable explanation is provided in the show before the mid-season finale then I'll be ok. But some things can't be explained away, like the supidity of the arena scene and the Guv brushing the hair of a walker.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • 2,702 posts
  • LocationHanging out with Tyreese

For all the maligning of the Sophia story arc last season, the show did remarkably well in viewers, and the image of Sophia shambling out of the barn is one of the iconic moments of this series. Perhaps the people with the minority opinon are that small group who take time to vent on an internet fan forum.

Also, the high ratings of at least the first two episodes of the season are due in large part to season 2. Why watch a season 3 premiere unless season 2 was good? People are continuing to watch because of the action. However, that train will run out of steam faster than people think if their isn't good storytelling to compliment it. Then, the down side of the bell curve will appear.

Posted Image "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

nvision

nvision

Infected

• Members
  • 50 posts
i loved season 2.

DoctorManhattan89

DoctorManhattan89

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

The season's tagline was "Fight the dead, fear the living" and you didn't think it was going to be about human conflict?
"We're all puppets Laurie, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,051 posts

The season's tagline was "Fight the dead, fear the living" and you didn't think it was going to be about human conflict?

I didn't know what the tagline was, and it doesn't surprise me that the story is going this way. It just disappoints me.

If the show goes to hell, I will stop watching. I am not going to stop 'just in case'.

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere

Posted Image

Am I doing this right?
Posted Image

dogwalker

dogwalker

Lurker

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • LocationEssex/ London

This is nothing but my opinion, of course, which I don’t expect many people here to share.

I’m pretty disappointed with Season 3 of TWD. After the producers’ comments at the end of last season, I was afraid that TWD would turn into an action oriented genre stereotype filled with cheap shocks and fan pandering and it has. The acting is still good, the production values are still high, but all the depth is gone. I’m not saying that the episodes are not exciting or even moving at times, but adrenaline rushes do not a good show make. When the episodes are not frenetic, they are kind of boring, as in Woodbury. If I wanted to watch a group of badass zombie killers offing zombies and crazed human survivors, I’d play a video game or watch a B movie.

TWD was a series depicting a fantastical situation but it was grounded in psychological and sociological realism, and had things to say about survival and its price. The first two seasons did a great job of exploring the characters and situations so we could relate to them and understand what it would be like to be in that situation, even if we are aren’t ass kicking slayer types. Now TWD is just about over-the-top mad dictators and zombie killing.

I’m not a fan of the horror genre and I don’t care one way or the other about zombies, though I do like dystopian fiction. I started watching The Walking Dead because of the reviews and continued because of the terrible beauty of the exquisite Days Gone By, an amazing piece of television. IMO the first two seasons were great, including the first half of last season. Those episodes laid down the characterizations that made the action and deaths so meaningful. Actually Season 3 is coasting on that.

But now the pace has not just picked up, it’s frenetic, especially at the prison. If I had seen the first couple of episodes of TWD Season 3 without having watched seasons 1 and 2, I’d have abandoned it by now. It’s too bad the Governor doesn’t have a mustache to twirl because he is that much of a stereotype. So far I find Michonne rather boring – all she does is strut around, look cool and glower. And Merle – his reintroduction is just fan pandering. (Can you tell I don’t care two hoots about Merle?)

I’m almost bored and certainly unsatisfied. And I agree with those who say that there’s a lot of fan n pandering going on but it’s not directed at Daryl fangirls but at comic fans. I’m glad that I never read the comics because that whole Woodbury plot is just silly and from what I’ve been unable to avoid reading here, just gets sillier.

I am only one person (two if you count my husband who is of the same opinion) and it will be easy to dismiss me. But fanboys and girls are never enough to make any television series last and TWD’s high ratings also encompass people like us. There will be others out there in the real world who are also dissatisfied. Last night’s episode was a little less rushed but was not particularly well written and directed IMO. When the director has to explain some plot points after the show, something is wrong. I think I’ll probably watch a couple more episodes to see if the current trend continues and then give up.

I miss Frank Darabont.

Bring it on.

I agree with most, but I don't think they're pandering to comic fans, as I love the comics and I feel the show has gone in a totally diff direction (not that I mind some times). I do think they pandered to the people last season saying it was slow and how much they hated Lori, however. It's WAY too fast this season. I haven't been scared or creeped out one bit like I was in season 1 or 2.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,278 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys

Am I doing this right?
Posted Image

Yes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2ly50ft.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!