My Feelings On Lori...

lori

BethTexas

BethTexas

Forum Turd

• Banned
  • LocationSouth Texas
Biggest surprise this season for me was how my feelings for Lori changed in a heartbeat. I went from "Die, devil bitch, die!" to "Oh God, not Lori!" in the first episode of the season. Watching her so miserable physically and emotionally should have been a real treat for a Shane fan like me, but I immediately felt overwhelming sympathy.

Part of it was the pregnancy, but most of it was her growth as a character who finally realizes that her actions have consequences and she was partially responsible for Shane's death. I saw contrition and a willingness to accept the share of blame.

So what about you? "Rest In Peace, Lori" or "Rest in Pieces, Lori"?

Kikora

Kikora

Lurker

• Members
Rest in peace, personally.

I wasn't fond of her character, but I didn't want to see her bite it. Rather, I would have been happy if someone just slapped her nice and hard, and forced her to encounter her own manipulative ways.

Brava to the actress, she really pulled off a spectacular scene.

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationcuffed to a roof
Lori? Who's Lori? We lost T-Dog last night!

Just kidding, I think she really turned it around this season. She not only helped in big ways but also wasn't annoying. It is sad that she died.......... but not as sad as T-Dog.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I agree with you. At first, Lori was being a real jerk with the others and especially Rick and Shane. Then with the begining of this season, you thought she was finally getting what she deserved from the way Rick was treating her. But now, that she's dead, I'm sad to see her go. She gave her life for a baby that she wasn't even sure was going to have a decent life in the ZA. That means she still had hope for them and was willing to die for it. I'm sure Rick will have a load of guilt because of it and the way he fell to the ground at the end crying broke my heart. This may change him the most and Daryl may have to step in and be the leader.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
It shocked me how much my opinion changed on Lori this season, within only a matter of the first few minutes of episode one. I have hated her the last two seasons and her whiny antics and her treatment of Rick and horrible parenting of Carl. She did not have bad intentions at all, I think she was merely freaked out by the death of her husband. That doesn't excuse her sleeping with Shane, but I honestly do not think that she had any feelings towards Shane before Rick went into the coma.

This season's premiere, my feelings for Rick and Lori were flipped. I was so annoyed by Rick and his treatment of Lori. Yes she is probably carrying another man's baby, but YOU were the one who basically forced her to keep the baby when she was going on and on about how she should not bring a baby into this world. Then when she's almost due, he gives her the silent treatment and treats her like she's nothing. It is understandable that the farther along in Lori got in her pregnancy, the bigger (literally) the reminder to Rick that the baby was probably not his, but he forced her to keep the baby, he needs to man up and take care of her. On top of that, her son hates her.

I had so much sympathy for her these past 4 episodes and I have no idea where it came from. Her death was one of the most heartbreaking things I have seen on any tv shows or movies, and the actors that play Rick, Carl, Maggie and especially Lori deserve awards for their performances.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Lurker

• Members
I don't care how you feel about Lori, I don't think anybody could watch that scene and NOT be affected. Even if you hated her, she did right by her men in the end. She made the ultimate sacrifice any mom worthy of being one would make in a heartbeat.

hemmymomma

hemmymomma

Infected

• Members
Rest in piece... this episode broke my heart, From T-dog to lori's death, carl having to watch his mom die, then having to put her down, Then Ricks reaction... Just all so sad ! Being pregnant myself I freaking cried like crazy !

BethTexas

BethTexas

Forum Turd

• Banned
  • LocationSouth Texas
So far no one saying "Glad the bitch is dead" over here. Wow. Lori was the most hated character on the show. Read any discussion forum and the bile just spewed from Rick fans, Shane fans, and everyone else. This turnaround that a lot of us did this season is really mad props to the writers who did their job. I spent two seasons sitting on pins and needles waiting for her to die horribly and when she did... :angel:

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
Rick didn't force her to keep the baby. He said he wouldn't try to make her have a baby she didn't want. Circumstances forced it, what was she supposed to do? I don't think OTC morning after pills would do the trick......I guess she'd have to ask Hershel, and there's no guarantee he could, or would.

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

Am I the only one who couldn't help but find it kinda funny that even though she won some empathy in her death, she still created a problem for everybody, and won't be contributing to help solve it? 'Til the end, lol.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
I am no fan of Lori, I've been wanting her to die from nearly day one. But last night hit me hard and I'm surprised at how emotional I am over the whole thing. I haven't been this upset since they killed of Locke in Lost.

I think for me it was that she had done a turn around and finally admitted to her mistakes. I don't even care about her affair with Shane either, hell, that's understandable in that situation. For me it was how awful she was to Rick, whispering in his ear about how dangerous Shane is and all but telling Rick to kill him. Then when Rick has to in self defense, she looks at him with loathing and contempt like he's some cold blooded murderer. Yeah, I was routing for her to die.

Then comes last night and I was a mess about it. I think it's the mother in me, I have two girls and would die for either of them. Her goodbye to Carl was perfect and heart wrenching. It was the perfect thing a mother should say to her son in that situation.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Lurker

• Members
Yeah, me too. I've been there with being pregnant and fearing for my baby's life. (I had a partial abruption and was put on bed rest for the duration of the pregnancy hospitalized, and wondering every time I got up to go to the bathroom if that was what was going to kill my baby) And I've been on an operating table bleeding out -6 transfusions! - wondering if I was going to get to raise my kids. So that scen with Carl hit me hard! Couldn't stop crying! Even though I wasn't her biggest fan, I've always liked the actress so I couldn't hate the character.

Marcuslloydak

Marcuslloydak

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationEngland
So upset by her death, honestly. I never hated her, it was just indifference, but towards the end of season 2 I liked her. Gutted, she had a lot more to tell...

Xfirekeenmike

Xfirekeenmike

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationSouth Texas mcallen area

I don't care how you feel about Lori, I don't think anybody could watch that scene and NOT be affected.

All I could think, Like getting rear ended by your best friend in the woods, yea, like that Lori?

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Yeah, me too. I've been there with being pregnant and fearing for my baby's life. (I had a partial abruption and was put on bed rest for the duration of the pregnancy hospitalized, and wondering every time I got up to go to the bathroom if that was what was going to kill my baby) And I've been on an operating table bleeding out -6 transfusions! - wondering if I was going to get to raise my kids. So that scen with Carl hit me hard! Couldn't stop crying! Even though I wasn't her biggest fan, I've always liked the actress so I couldn't hate the character.

Yeah, my last pregnancy was high risk too and I was on bed rest for most of it (which SUCKS!). Then when I did give birth, they couldn't stop the bleeding for a while. I think that's what hit me first, when I first saw the blood all over Maggie's hand. I would have been one of those women dying in childbirth back before modern medicine.

BethTexas

BethTexas

Forum Turd

• Banned
  • LocationSouth Texas
I don't have children (hate them with a passion), never been pregnant, and hate women who trifle with men, so the fact that I was wrecked during Lori's death means the writers and Sarah Wayne Callies did a phenomenal job. They took me from actively looking forward to Lori's death to mourning it.

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4
I think I was among the minority who always liked Lori, though admittedly biased since I think Sarah Wayne Callies is a great actress, and one super smart broad. I didn't agree with her choices all the time, but she seemed realistic to me when she made her mistakes. The scene with Chandler Riggs and her sobbing and losing it for a minute: "You're my sweet baby boy, I love you, my sweet courageous boy" gutted me. Can you imagine telling your child goodbye, forever? Ugh, heartwrenching shit.
Jon is fine, dammit.

Catch77

Catch77

S-mart Employee

• Banned
I love her. I just loved the character and actress. She was a major character and added something to the TV show, even if y'all didn't like her. She still added something. I am so sad that Lori is gone. Ma gurl Lori is gone :'(

Oh my Gawd the character is in the same situation as Shannon from LOST. You start to like them and then they go die. Aaaaahhhhh :(

That poor girl had a bad time.

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
My feelings about Lori didn’t change this season because I never hated her and always felt kind of sorry for her, even when she was being something of an idiot.

I never exactly liked Lori that much, but I’ve defended her a number of times on this forum and I was sorry to see her go. IMO Lori was just a woman who made a series of mistakes, one of the biggest being involving herself with a man barely clinging to sanity, who tried to hang on to her and her son because he had nothing else. Another was failing to realize how far Shane had descended into insanity, even after she warned Rick about him. And another was being unable to overcome her own feelings of guilt and revulsion caused by Shane’s death enough to avoid projecting them onto Rick.

Of course getting pregnant was also a mistake under the circumstances but we’ll never know why Lori and Shane took no precautions. Maybe they didn’t expect to be alive nine months later. But by the time Lori knew she was pregnant, it was too late for anything but an abortion. Given her medical history and the situation, Hershel might or might not have done it but neither Rick nor Lori wanted that and now Rick has to carry that too.

I’ve made lots of mistakes in my life so I have certain amount of sympathy for screw-ups, but not for hatefulness. I never got the Lori hate – other characters were murderers and criminals and they are fan favourites.

IMO it was pretty clear that Rick still loved Lori but had pushed her away because he was so hurt when she rejected him after the Farmageddon. The ice was starting to thaw but now things can never be made right. Carl might have been angry with her but it would take more than that to destroy the love between a parent and child and I was glad to see that they reconciled.

I have no children but I know a little about maternal love and it isn’t surprising to me that Lori was willing to sacrifice her own life to save that of her child. I don’t think there was a choice anyway – she was already bleeding out. Lori did all she could by giving the child a chance to live. Now it’s up to others to keep it alive.

R.I.P. Lori. Your death was truly tragic, if a little clichéd except for the part about your son shooting you in the head. You were an interesting character, well played.

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
Nareen, I think you should write her eulogy, that was beautiful.

Boss

Boss

S-mart Employee

• Members
I was indifferent to her death. I was only really sad for Carl and Rick.

T-Dog Obsession

T-Dog Obsession

Infected

• Members

Biggest surprise this season for me was how my feelings for Lori changed in a heartbeat. I went from "Die, devil bitch, die!" to "Oh God, not Lori!" in the first episode of the season. Watching her so miserable physically and emotionally should have been a real treat for a Shane fan like me, but I immediately felt overwhelming sympathy.

Part of it was the pregnancy, but most of it was her growth as a character who finally realizes that her actions have consequences and she was partially responsible for Shane's death. I saw contrition and a willingness to accept the share of blame.

So what about you? "Rest In Peace, Lori" or "Rest in Pieces, Lori"?

Personally I'm very disappointed that she died this soon. Lori was never going to be a true fan favorite given the turmoil she created between Rick and Shane.

And I understood all along that her character likely wasn't going to survive long term, especially if they choose to follow the comic material closely.

But at the same time I was hoping for more than what turned about to be nothing more than an anticlimatic 'shock' death. Especially considering the fact that one minute she's fine, then the next she's in labor and all of a sudden has to get the baby out that quickly? It just seems like they certainly could have bought a little more time to hopefully reunite with the rest of the group and safely deliver the baby.

I almost wonder if she asked to leave the show, similar to the rumors about Dale (Jeffrey DeMunn). It just seems like there was a lot of squandered potential with her character, even if she wasn't going to last the duration of season three it was far too early to have her die just a quarter of the way into a new season.

kj500

kj500

Infected

• Members

Am I the only one who couldn't help but find it kinda funny that even though she won some empathy in her death, she still created a problem for everybody, and won't be contributing to help solve it? 'Til the end, lol.

Lori went out like a champ and it was a sad and unexpected scene. It is ironic however that the most problematic member of the group will continue to be the cause of more problems even after she's gone.
Michonne

Onslaught

Onslaught

Infected

• Members
It was heartbreaking, but didn't get me such as rick's crying. Rick is different than carl. Very different, because he didn't have a chance to say goodbye. Didn't have a chance to say sorry. To make up.

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!