Raising Baby In A Za (Birth & C-Sections)

Lori birth c-section hershel

DoctorManhattan89

DoctorManhattan89

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPittsburgh
I think the problem was more that she had no anesthesia, was bleeding out and had no immediate hopes for help arriving. I think this was the biggest problem. Carl, Maggie and Lori were assumed to be trapped and the baby had to be delivered. Assuming nobody would help them they were now letting Lori slowly die, in a lot of pain, and inevitably reanimate. Carl didn't shoot zombie Lori in my opinion, he shot his mom to put her out of misery and to prevent her from reanimating.
"We're all puppets Laurie, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

Kikora

Kikora

Lurker

• Members

I think she only started pushing so soon because she was starting to panic. I've had two babies and I didn't start pushing THAT soon, even if both of my labors and deliveries were short (6 for the first, 4 hours for the second, about three pushes for both babies). So short labor and deliveries do happen, I think she was just in full freak out mode.

I agree, it felt like she went, "OMG contractions! Time to push!"

Either of the women should have known better. They should have waited to check her dilation, while calming. Deep breaths, laying somewhat down, keep from panic and hyperventilation, and let her body prepare for labor. They both freaked out, and it probably killed Lori.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I think she only started pushing so soon because she was starting to panic. I've had two babies and I didn't start pushing THAT soon, even if both of my labors and deliveries were short (6 for the first, 4 hours for the second, about three pushes for both babies). So short labor and deliveries do happen, I think she was just in full freak out mode.

Oh I know very short labor and deliveries do happen..my best friend had a 3 hour start-to-finish labour! But that isn't in the same ballpark as having a couple of contractions and then randomly deciding to push.

As a side note - there was nothing wrong with Lori trying to labour standing up. Laying down is one of the worst ways to labour and deliver. They only do it that way in the hospital because it is easier for the doc/nurses to see what is going on.

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members
When it is time to push you feel you have to push. Her saying "I need to push" was very realistic, although the time it took to get there was not. However with it being a TV show, I am glad they skipped over the couple of hours of just sitting there watching her in pain as the contractions worked. THis is a show about the ZA and not "A Baby Story" afterall.

Daluve

Daluve

Infected

• Members
It was an amazing scene, I could feel Lori's fear, Carl's fear and Maggie's fear separately, and that last scene with Rick breaking down...man, it broke my heart all of them did an amazing job! I'm kinda worried on how the baby will survive though...I highly doubt they can find any formula and if they do, it most likely would be spoiled by now , AND they would have to find a heck lot of formula. I've read that maybe one of the girls could be a 'wet nurse' for the baby but I just don't picture the writers going in that direction, but once again...it's The Walking Dead so who knows!

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members

It was an amazing scene, I could feel Lori's fear, Carl's fear and Maggie's fear separately, and that last scene with Rick breaking down...man, it broke my heart all of them did an amazing job! I'm kinda worried on how the baby will survive though...I highly doubt they can find any formula and if they do, it most likely would be spoiled by now , AND they would have to find a heck lot of formula. I've read that maybe one of the girls could be a 'wet nurse' for the baby but I just don't picture the writers going in that direction, but once again...it's The Walking Dead so who knows!

Well acted by all of them, even Carl.

Powder formula could go a long time without spoiling.

And one of the other girls would either need hormone treatment or have to have a baby herself to wet nurse the baby.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members
I think wet nurse is definitely the way to go, and Herschel, if anyone, should suggest that. the baby actually won't need to feed for a day or so at the beginning, right? The reason we throw 'em right on to the breast is to promote bonding and get some special anti-biotics, right? But I think the baby can live for a day on the nutrients it got before coming out.

Operative phrase being, "I think," since it's been ... sheesh, 8 years since my last kid was born.

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members
Who is going to have milk in their breasts? It's not produced untill you have a baby.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Well acted by all of them, even Carl.

Powder formula could go a long time without spoiling.

And one of the other girls would either need hormone treatment or have to have a baby herself to wet nurse the baby.

Actually, no - I've been looking it up on line, and apparently just simple stimulation can do it, although I'm sure it takes time. I was also thinking that in terms of hormones, Maggie just got a big dose of adrenalin and probably some hormones from going through what she just had to do.

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members

Actually, no - I've been looking it up on line, and apparently just simple stimulation can do it, although I'm sure it takes time. I was also thinking that in terms of hormones, Maggie just got a big dose of adrenalin and probably some hormones from going through what she just had to do.

Whoa, I just looked it up and you are right. I retract my statement.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

When it is time to push you feel you have to push. Her saying "I need to push" was very realistic, although the time it took to get there was not. However with it being a TV show, I am glad they skipped over the couple of hours of just sitting there watching her in pain as the contractions worked. THis is a show about the ZA and not "A Baby Story" afterall.

Yeah, I get that. A realistic time-frame would have been hard to swing on the show.

About pushing though...sure, her feeling the need to push was realistic, but that ISN'T always a good time to start pushing. Sometimes they will tell you it isn't time to push, or to stop pushing, because you are not dilated enough. I just thought it was lame that a couple of contractions + unknown dilation= "time to push"

Daluve

Daluve

Infected

• Members
You don't need hormones or have a baby to breastfeed, many adoptive mothers lactate their children just by stimulation, my aunt in fact breastfed both my cousins who were adopted at 1 & 3 weeks old and she didn't need any hormones. I think it's the easier thing to do considering the situation, there's gotta be a second plan just in case they don't find any formula.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Who is going to have milk in their breasts? It's not produced untill you have a baby.

/sigh, OK, I've opened the can of worms now (here and in another thread). (And, I'm sighing because I think I've already brought up topics I shouldn't in other threads .... )

Anyway, look up the Wikipedia page on Wet Nurse:

It was once believed that a wet-nurse must have recently undergone childbirth. This is not necessarily true, as regular breast suckling can elicit lactation via a neural reflex of prolactin production and secretion. Some adoptive mothers have been able to establish lactation using a breast pump so that they could feed an adopted infant.

There are other pages, too, on "lactation without pregnancy," for example. Man, really glad I'm not at a job that has Internet filters right now!

Edit: Heh, took too long to post, others beat me to it. But, yeah, that's the way they should go, but I think it that for story purposes (motivation, driving the action), they'll probably have to out at least in the short-term and find some powdered formula. Heck, they're always finding cars with empty baby seats in them, it seems, one of them should have something in it.

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members

Yeah, I get that. A realistic time-frame would have been hard to swing on the show.

About pushing though...sure, her feeling the need to push was realistic, but that ISN'T always a good time to start pushing. Sometimes they will tell you it isn't time to push, or to stop pushing, because you are not dilated enough. I just thought it was lame that a couple of contractions + unknown dilation= "time to push"

I agree, but I think it was due to time constraints of needing to get the baby out so they could kill her off. :-P

BethTexas

BethTexas

Forum Turd

• Banned
  • LocationSouth Texas

Even a man can lactate, did you know that? Gross, but there it is.

I don't see it being realistic that Maggie or Beth would suddenly start lactating, but it's possible. The hormone to produce milk is prolactin, if I remember correctly. Too lazy to look it up!

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members

/sigh, OK, I've opened the can of worms now (here and in another thread). (And, I'm sighing because I think I've already brought up topics I shouldn't in other threads .... )

Anyway, look up the Wikipedia page on Wet Nurse:

There are other pages, too, on "lactation without pregnancy," for example. Man, really glad I'm not at a job that has Internet filters right now!

Already admitted to being wrong about that, but I will again. :-)

I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Already admitted to being wrong about that, but I will again. :-)

I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Heh, I know, I tried to edit after posting. Not wrong so much, as, heck not everyone is (a) a trivia junky like me, or ( B) has ever had to think about stuff like this. My head if full of generally useless or trivial info that just might come in handy some day in the event of the ZA, but otherwise just clutters my head. :D

Edit: Oh, yeah, my wife has brought up the male lactation thing before. Another fun fact to know and tell.

Daluve

Daluve

Infected

• Members
Beth is quite too young isn't she? And Carol...well, she's gone for now, there's only Maggie left but again, I doubt they go that way. I honestly wouldn't find it realistic aswell, but then again I won't find it realistic if they find tons of formula, bottles and diapers and that baby lives happy ever after, don't get me wrong...If I was in their situation, I would try to keep that little poor thing safe at any costs, but yeah...it's hard enough without a baby so from now on I just can't imagine how they are going to handle it.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
Yeah....I just try not to think about male lactation.

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members
Yea, I thought it was the other way because my wife pumped milk for an adopted baby for a few days until the family could get in a better situation. (Long, sad story).

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members

but then again I won't find it realistic if they find tons of formula, bottles and diapers

It's the rural south. Walmarts and Dollar Generals are EVERYWHERE.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
On the topic of formula, I wonder how easily they'll find any. It seems in most natural disasters (thinking Katrina and Sandy) diapers and formula are always at the top of the list the Red Cross or whoever is asking people to donate. Now they can cloth diaper the baby, but I would think that the stores would be cleared of formula pretty early on in the epidemic when the world was going to hell.

BethTexas

BethTexas

Forum Turd

• Banned
  • LocationSouth Texas

Yeah....I just try not to think about male lactation.

You and me both, friend. I leave that crap to those who write mpreg fanfiction... :smiley-confused002:

The Custodian

The Custodian

Infected

• Members

On the topic of formula, I wonder how easily they'll find any. It seems in most natural disasters (thinking Katrina and Sandy) diapers and formula are always at the top of the list the Red Cross or whoever is asking people to donate. Now they can cloth diaper the baby, but I would think that the stores would be cleared of formula pretty early on in the epidemic when the world was going to hell.

This is a good point.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

{snip}mpreg fanfiction... :smiley-confused002:

?? Seriously, the things I learn from this site!

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!