Why Does The Governor Want The Prison ?

The governor rick the walking dead michonne

Onslaught

Onslaught

Infected

• Members

You could be right, in the Preview maybe the Guvnor was not at the Prison but he does want it from Rick's group. I'll have to go back and rewatch that preview from a few weeks back I think it was the very first season 3 preview that we saw.
Another point a friend mentioned is that a Prison is meant to keep people(not Walkers) INSIDE but Not Truly meant as a Defensive Keep People(not Walkers) out of fortress. If it was used that way there would be a need for allot more Security personnel than Rick's group has. on hand. There is a huge difference in how Alive People would go about invading the Prison than Walkers. The Walkers can't untie the wire that Rick's group uses to tie the outter fence back together.

He wasn't. That's for sure.

keith2772

keith2772

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationwernersville, PA
I think the Gov will attack the prison because it happened in the GN and so that's what a segment of the audience expects to see, nothing more, nothing less. They could have Rick's group meet the Governor without the prison ever coming into play and not detract too much from the story line.
That being said, I don't think the Gov "wants" the prison at all. He would want the people in the prison dead, or to fold them into his little fantasy land. Why? Because he has a God Complex and likes to be the one who determines peoples' fate.

Walker_Slayer

Walker_Slayer

Lurker

• Members

I can agree with this. The Governor does not seem to be the most neighborly of neighbors.

You've got a point there. The Governor isn't exactly Mr Rogers.

The Walkers can't untie the wire that Rick's group uses to tie the outter fence back together.

The Walkers from Season 1 probably could! Or maybe even the Walker that wrist bone slashed Big Tiny.

57channels

57channels

S-mart Employee

• Members
At this point in the show the Gov doesn't want or even know about the prision. Once he has motivation to go after it or go after Ricks crew we'll know why.

Tyrese???

Tyrese???

Infected

• Members
Sure the guv might want ricks group dead for the same reason they killed the soldiers...
But WHY would he want the prison...the armory is almiost empty, there isnt that much food...there is really nothing there that woodbury doesnt already have more of

If a herd attacked the prison, they would eventually bring down those fences...sure the actual prison would be safe, but youd be trapped in there...

I dont see why he would want the prison...probably doesnt, just wants other groups eliminated...maybe the governor would try and get some to join woodbury...

rvabrendan

rvabrendan

Infected

• Members
The prison structure itself would be incredibly difficult to penetrate. Plus there are guard towers. Seems safer than a ramshackle fence out in the open...

57channels

57channels

S-mart Employee

• Members
It's a freakin fortress!!

Damon Z

Damon Z

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationSouth of Atlanta.
I think it's more about power then the prison itself. The Governor has a decent deal at Woodbury from the looks of it. The Gov is after total domination, and a group of people held up in a prison isn't what he's wanting, even if they're miles away from Woodbury. At least that's my take on it...

"It's not the same as killing the dead ones, daddy"

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members
One question: How do you know the Governor wants the prison? I've been watching all the episodes so far, several times, actually, and as far as I can tell, the Governor doesn't even know about the prison yet.

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members
I mean theres really no comparison...the prison is a much better location for a community! Yea a huge herd could take the fences but imagine if he took the Woodbury style "walls" an placed them outside the fence! It would be damn near impenetrable!! A zombie would have to get thru the wall, then 2-3 fences an then into the actual prison!

And sure a huge herd can take the fences down, but they wont get into the prison! As opposed to a woodbury wall collapsing an everyone just running crazy, diving into random apartments an houses that arent properly reinforced!!

if a huge herd is coming, id much rather be in a prison cell block than an apartment building thats not secure!!

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members
also.... SUPPLIES!.
if there is another large group close by, then theyll pretty much be fighting over the same supplies in that area an the Gov wants everything to himself!!

Dr.ChimRitchels

Dr.ChimRitchels

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDetroit, MI
I don't think the Governor could really care less about the prison. He wants Andrea, maybe, because she reminds him of his wife. Eliminating her old group, and Michonne, would leave her with nowhere else to go, and she'll stay there with him. Merle is only interested in finding his brother, and by kidnapping Glenn & Maggie, to find him, he's gonna bring a shitstorm down on Woodbury. I predict something will happen to Penny, by Andrea, or someone else in Rick's group, and THAT will cause the Guv to go apeshit, and lead an assault against the prison out of pure REVENGE.

Dazzle

Dazzle

Infected

• Members

I mean theres really no comparison...the prison is a much better location for a community! Yea a huge herd could take the fences but imagine if he took the Woodbury style "walls" an placed them outside the fence! It would be damn near impenetrable!! A zombie would have to get thru the wall, then 2-3 fences an then into the actual prison!

And sure a huge herd can take the fences down, but they wont get into the prison! As opposed to a woodbury wall collapsing an everyone just running crazy, diving into random apartments an houses that arent properly reinforced!!

if a huge herd is coming, id much rather be in a prison cell block than an apartment building thats not secure!!

I'll one up this idea and say fill the dog run in with the vehicles .. the fence wouldn't have any "give" to it with a semi wedged in behind it ..

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
We know from the GN that no place is safe from the herds. The prison is far superior to Woodbury.
  • Double walls
  • Fortress building
  • Guard towers
  • Massive generator
The first big herd that comes along will wipe out Woodbury exactly like the farm was overtaken.

The prison is safe from outside walkers. The only way it can be taken is by an inside outbreak and/or starvation. It is a siege pure and simple.
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I don't think the Governor could really care less about the prison. He wants Andrea, maybe, because she reminds him of his wife. Eliminating her old group, and Michonne, would leave her with nowhere else to go, and she'll stay there with him. Merle is only interested in finding his brother, and by kidnapping Glenn & Maggie, to find him, he's gonna bring a shitstorm down on Woodbury. I predict something will happen to Penny, by Andrea, or someone else in Rick's group, and THAT will cause the Guv to go apeshit, and lead an assault against the prison out of pure REVENGE.

Totally agree. I think its unlikely he doesn't know where it is. I mean he plots to steal supplies from any outsiders he can, why wouldn't he have known about the prison, especially with it being so close and if he is actually from the are pre-ZA?

Also I think people are missing a little bit of the point of Woodbury. While the Gov takes every opportunity to strengthen the town the town Itself, Woodbury is about restoring a lifestyle of that before ZA. I agree a prison would be the safest place and practically impenetrable by a hoard, but its not conducive to a normal pre-ZA lifestyle that the Gov is trying to achieve. So its not so much about what makes the most sense safety wise, but what can assure the most normal but safe lifestyle possible.

Dr.ChimRitchels

Dr.ChimRitchels

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Totally agree. I think its unlikely he doesn't know where it is. I mean he plots to steal supplies from any outsiders he can, why wouldn't he have known about the prison, especially with it being so close and if he is actually from the are pre-ZA?

Also I think people are missing a little bit of the point of Woodbury. While the Gov takes every opportunity to strengthen the town the town Itself, Woodbury is about restoring a lifestyle of that before ZA. I agree a prison would be the safest place and practically impenetrable by a hoard, but its not conducive to a normal pre-ZA lifestyle that the Gov is trying to achieve. So its not so much about what makes the most sense safety wise, but what can assure the most normal but safe lifestyle possible.

Exactly! Thank you. As you said, Woodbury is a lifestyle. They're "taking their world back" from the undead. Willingly living in a prison, on the other hand, is kind of like accepting that this is the way the world is, now, you are absolutely powerless to change it, and all you can really do is hide from it. What could be more grim, and hopeless, than having to stare at bars, and prison walls, every day?
Besides, if Philip lived at the prison, he wouldn't be "The Governor", anymore, he'd be "The Warden", and that just doesn't have the same charming ring to it.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

Exactly! Thank you. As you said, Woodbury is a lifestyle.

Well some paint and fresh curtains would do wonders for the prison. He could get a Fantasy Island thing going on. A midget sidekick would make it perfect. Carl maybe?
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Melquiades Estrada

Melquiades Estrada

Roamer

• Members
Lol midget sidekick :D

When the governor finds out about the prison he will go ballistic !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.ChimRitchels

Dr.ChimRitchels

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Well some paint and fresh curtains would do wonders for the prison. He could get a Fantasy Island thing going on. A midget sidekick would make it perfect. Carl maybe?

LOL!
"Smiles, everyone!"

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

Exactly! Thank you. As you said, Woodbury is a lifestyle. They're "taking their world back" from the undead. Willingly living in a prison, on the other hand, is kind of like accepting that this is the way the world is, now, you are absolutely powerless to change it, and all you can really do is hide from it. What could be more grim, and hopeless, than having to stare at bars, and prison walls, every day?

Being out in the woods. Hunted by walkers.

Don't tell Michonne that, though.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

I agree with the governor not wanting to give Andrea options, but I think it goes further than that. I don't think he wants to give anyone in Woodbury options. He wants everyone to buy into the Woodbury lifestyle, so he can be their messiah. Rick's group, the national guard men, and any group like them, provide options.

Also, I don't think the governor does know about the prison yet. I say that because the prison was still well stocked with supplies. If he did know about it, why didn't he liberate the supplies?

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
Who cleared out the armoury?

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I agree with the governor not wanting to give Andrea options, but I think it goes further than that. I don't think he wants to give anyone in Woodbury options. He wants everyone to buy into the Woodbury lifestyle, so he can be their messiah. Rick's group, the national guard men, and any group like them, provide options.

Also, I don't think the governor does know about the prison yet. I say that because the prison was still well stocked with supplies. If he did know about it, why didn't he liberate the supplies?

It could go either way, I wouldn't really question it if they said he didn't know about it but I find it a lot more likely that he does. I've said in other threads though that Gov is all about reward vs risk, he manipulates people to his advantage and strikes when the time is right. He wants the most reward for the least amount of risk. He doesn't know whether that prison is safe and has supplies, overrun with supplies or just overrun with no supplies. I think he would calculate the risk being too great for not enough potential pay out, especially if they aren't desperate and can just sit pretty waiting for people to come to them.

Although it was mentioned by Rick that the armory was picked clean. Maybe it was the Gov or his men? Tough to say because whoever cleaned it out did not stick around long enough to explore further or just didn't want to help the prisoners in the cafeteria. I could also believe that the guards and wardens of the prison took the ammo as well. Just throwing out ideas.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

Who cleared out the armoury?

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!