• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

xaviersaint

xaviersaint

A.W.D.N.

• Administrators
  • 1,844 posts
  • LocationColorado
No matter how far you run, you can't escape from the unrelenting pursuit of a hungry zombie. Walking Dead is a popular comic book series that has spawned a television program, and now, thanks to Telltale Games, a video game as well. Although this adaptation is still quite early, we did find out a few details about the story and basic gameplay structure in a sit-down conversation with the developers today.

In the comic books, you follow Rick Grimes in his attempt to break out of Atlanta. However, the protagonist in the game is a new character. You play as Lee Everett, and he is trying to make his way into the zombie-invested Deep South. His journey begins in the back of a prison transportation vehicle. Road travel during these dangerous times is tricky business, so it's no surprise when the truck crashes. Everett wakes up alone in the zombie apocalypse, the worst place you could imaginably be during such a hectic time.

Everett doesn't go though the game alone, though. He meets an abandoned child named Clementine, left to fend for herself with her parents gone missing. You can't just turn your back on a child in need, so you take her along on your journey. You also cross paths with characters from the comic book. Everett bumps into Glenn and Lily, giving a solid connection to the source material.

We didn't get to see any gameplay (or any footage at all, for that matter), but we were told vaguely how things would play out. Walking Dead takes its action cues from their upcoming adventure game Jurassic Park. In that, you perform quick-time events during intense scenes, and we were told that Walking Dead's action would evolve on that concept.

Walking Dead is much darker than what Telltale usually makes, though it certainly sounds intriguing from a conceptual standpoint. Keep reading GameSpot to find out more information on this upcoming adventure. Walking Dead is set to come out this winter.
Angel: I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.

Spike: Buffy ran you through with a sword.

Angel: Yeah, but I made her do it. Signaled her with my eyes.

Spike: She killed you. I helped her. That one counts as mine.

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members
  • 938 posts
Originally a post by Games Radar

We've been eagerly anticipating news on Telltale's Walking Dead game ever since it was first announced, and after months of silence it's finally ready to be revealed... but only just a little. Today, the developer released three new screenshots that give a clear look at the game's graphical style. It's absolutely wonderful, and even if you're typically not a fan of the studio's style you'll likely be blown away with the way they're handling the comic-look.

Besides showing off the glorious visuals, Telltale also announced "Playing Dead," a nine-part online talk show of sorts that will give some insight into the with behind-the-scenes sneak peeks. The show will feature guests such as creator/writer Robert Kirkman and Gary Whitta, screenwriter for The Book of Eli and story consultant for the game.

“Collaborating with Telltale on The Walking Dead continues to be a fantastic process. They understand the world and the characters that I created and what it takes to make a game out of them. What’s really exciting is that they’re telling a new story with new characters, so you’ll get to see the same world Rick Grimes did, but now from a different point of view,” said Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead. “Playing Dead is going to be an awesome way for fans to learn about the game and how it was made. It makes sense that Telltale are talking to people in this unique way because The Walking Dead is going to be a unique zombie game.”

Posted Image

Follow this link for more images http://www.gamesradar.com

And follow this as well, Watch Taletale's First Episode of Playing Dead: A Behind the Scenes Look at Their "The Walking Dead" Video Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOLSfSt4TqM

http://www.youtube.c...t&v=pOLSfSt4TqM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks pretty sweet, doesn't it?

Edited by rumblepup, 15 February 2012 - 10:26 PM.
added video

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts
  • LocationWoodbury Georgia
UTLRA SIGH!!! NOOOOO :(

damn normally i dont give 2 hoots about a game's graphics but im sorry idk if i can stand this....really bad graphics... like jimmy neutron graphics for a game.

damn i had ulra high hopes for the game but i cant play a zombie game with kindergarden cartoon graphics.....i couldnt bear to look at the screen....damn

Posted Image

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • 8,329 posts
Knew it was going to be poor as soon as I saw the game developer. Telltale Games have made games for several movies and TV series before.. Jurassic Park, Back 2 the future, CSI etc.. which have all been dreadful.

Such a shame really, could've had potential if it wasn't being made by such a poor game developer.

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

Knew it was going to be poor as soon as I saw the game developer. Telltale Games have made games for several movies and TV series before.. Jurassic Park, Back 2 the future, CSI etc.. which have all been dreadful.

Such a shame really, could've had potential if it wasn't being made by such a poor game developer.

i know :( this is a serious bummer
Posted Image

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members
  • 938 posts
I guess I'm in the minority then, I really like the graphics. They have a sweet graphic novel feel to them. :)

I think that pic is of Tyrese and Glenn also.

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • 8,329 posts

I guess I'm in the minority then, I really like the graphics. They have a sweet graphic novel feel to them. :)

I think that pic is of Tyrese and Glenn also.

Gameplay>Graphics

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

Gameplay>Graphics

i agree 100%....

but i mean when graphics look like this.... this is BAD like TERRIBLE ive NEVER turned away from a game because of graphics before but this game's graphics look UNBELIEVABLY BAD. like BEYOND BELIEF
Posted Image

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
Here's another pic, from the youtube vid. It's of Hershel in the game.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • 8,329 posts
Looks like bill from Left4Dead, without the beret,
Posted Image

DirtyDeeJay

DirtyDeeJay

Lurker

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationEngland
EDIT BY ADMIN-

The video that is linked on this article contains MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE comic spoilers. Please be aware of this when proceeding to the page DDJ has linked here. To AVOID SPOILERS, simply DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO on this page. Thanks- Your Admin Team

Decent interview with the games developers here:

http://kotaku.com/58...e-other-stories

Glad to see it will be following a new character and not reliving Rick's story again after seeing it in the comic and then on TV.

Will be interesting to see how they pull it off and how it compares to other ZA based games, I hope they stay true to their word and don't make it a run of the mill hack n slash.

They say near the end it will be available via download only either Cloud, Steam, XBox market or PSN so multi format!!!

Edited by xaviersaint, 18 February 2012 - 03:38 PM.
FYI'ing on the spoiler content

Posted Image

Herschel Infinite Ammo Cheat: R2, R2, L1, R2, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP.

Mr.Misery

Mr.Misery

Roamer

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • LocationPalm Beach, FL
Day one buy for me.

I wish there was more info about it. 3rd person or first person ? Combat system. I wonder if the TV characters will voice their video game counter parts.

DirtyDeeJay

DirtyDeeJay

Lurker

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationEngland
Yes will definitly be bagging on the day of release!

Looking forward to seeing some in game footage, the screenshots they showed look very comic influenced which i'm pleased about.

Posted Image

Herschel Infinite Ammo Cheat: R2, R2, L1, R2, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP.

DirtyDeeJay

DirtyDeeJay

Lurker

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationEngland
@xaviersaint - sorry man i didn't think to add the spoiler bit, In the video I linked it has a spoiler warning at the part when they reach the developers favourite parts of the comics, which tells you where to skip to in the video to avoid seeing them.

Posted Image

xaviersaint

xaviersaint

A.W.D.N.

• Administrators
  • 1,844 posts
  • LocationColorado
No it's all good, the catch is going to be not everyone is going to WATCH the video and some are going to LISTEN and they'll totally miss that warning on the screen. So when they jumped into the comics with that much detail, had to throw up a warning. The article itself is cool, video if you get distracted or had to leave for a second and miss the screen, can really light up the spoilers quickly. That's why I edited it.

Don't worry nothing you did wrong. And thanks for posting that. That all covered on spoiler front, I'm still strongly worried about the game play on this.
Angel: I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.

Spike: Buffy ran you through with a sword.

Angel: Yeah, but I made her do it. Signaled her with my eyes.

Spike: She killed you. I helped her. That one counts as mine.

PubZombie

PubZombie

Infected

• Members
  • 2 posts
licensed material can make games dev difficult in its self. Especially if the license holder closely steers the process of design and doesn't really understand the interactive nature of the medium. Makes me wonder how much experience of games Mr Kirkman has. However l its to early to judge, some of my fave games have a gfx style i didn't like at first. I always thought TWD would suit a Diablo style game mechanic.

Wazzup4567

Wazzup4567

Lurker

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I dunno whether that is Hershel. Doesnt really look like him.. Also the graphics look good. I dont see anything bad about them.

Whoever said that guy is Tyreese, it isnt. Its an entirely new character.

Ricks Left Hand

Ricks Left Hand

Infected

• Members
  • 16 posts
how sweet would it be if rockstar or bethesda got their hands on the walking dead title, completely open world fallout style!

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members
  • 938 posts

I dunno whether that is Hershel. Doesnt really look like him.. Also the graphics look good. I dont see anything bad about them.

Whoever said that guy is Tyreese, it isnt. Its an entirely new character.

Yeah, I made a big mistake there! There are actually two new characters that guy and a lost abandoned girl.
--------
Also to the one that said Graphics < Gameplay, I know that. I am not the one complaining about the graphics before trying the game though. I just stated that I liked the graphics. :P

and a fallout twd would be awful. I want a rad survival horror game adventure, not some FPs

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts
im a HUGE supporter of gameplay > graphics. i even like episode1 phantom mennace video game with these graphics

Posted Image

but i mean come on theres a breaking point. when a scary action zombie game looks like jimmy neutron/spongebob then we have a problem.

EDIT: im still buying the game regardless. just from the picture with the black dude and glen, the zombis dont look gory at all. but this is all pre-judgement. I hope there is as much gore and violence as in the comics!!

Edited by Merle Dixon, 20 February 2012 - 07:22 PM.

Posted Image

Luke Schimmel

Luke Schimmel

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationMünchen & USA

how sweet would it be if rockstar or bethesda got their hands on the walking dead title, completely open world fallout style!

Dude, TWD open world game with customizable character sounds (a word that means something better than good).

But, until TWD open world, Playing Dead looks cool.
Everyone is food for something.
Now, I just need to find something that eats zombies.

Bro

Bro

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

im a HUGE supporter of gameplay > graphics. i even like episode1 phantom mennace video game with these graphics

Posted Image

but i mean come on theres a breaking point. when a scary action zombie game looks like jimmy neutron/spongebob then we have a problem.

EDIT: im still buying the game regardless. just from the picture with the black dude and glen, the zombis dont look gory at all. but this is all pre-judgement. I hope there is as much gore and violence as in the comics!!

It's more of the graphics style. Borderlands for example was a superb game with a very similar graphics style, while maintaining lots of badassery and not being anything like spongebob.

Edited by Bro, 23 February 2012 - 03:36 AM.

Posted Image

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

It's more of the graphics style. Borderlands for example was a superb game with a very similar graphics style, while maintaining lots of badassery and not being anything like spongebob.

wow nice thats a perfect example dude. well idk the graphics in borderlands i couldnt stand. but the gameplay made the game semi-playable.

but wow nice call it looks like a clone of borderlands from the screen shots. hopefully the gameplay will make up for the graphics
Posted Image

Flex

Flex

Infected

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas
imagine a TWD game with the interface/graphics/world size etc, and the interaction of WoW... good lord, game would be the tits
Posted Image

Bro

Bro

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

imagine a TWD game with the interface/graphics/world size etc, and the interaction of WoW... good lord, game would be the tits

Walking Dead MMO. The awesomeness that could exist....

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!