Comics Governor Vs Tv Governor

* * * * - 1 First post.

BrendanBrady

BrendanBrady

Infected

• Members
I recently watched the Walking Dead S3E3 where the Governor was introduced I thought that he was absolutely amazing. So charismatic, manipulative, psychopathic.
Spoiler

And I couldn't help but think that he was so different to the comics Governor. He always looked like a shady character long dark hair and his prickly beard, yet the Woodbury citizens seemed to trust him. Whereas the new Gov is like the guy next door. I thought the TV version was so much better and i wanted to see what ya'll thought.

The thing about smart mother fuckers is that they look like crazy mother fuckers to stupid mother fuckers.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
The comic book governor was exactly what he was mean't to be, a comic book villain. For that he was fine. He would never have made the transition to television and been believable.

The television Governor is great. He fits the character well and is really more menacing for his ability to appear normal.

Just my opinion.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.
I actually really enjoy both,but I'll always prefer the Fu Manchu and long greasy hair.
Though I know they're telling a different story, I hope that they include a lot of his details..
Like Penny! Or even some rise of the governor stuff.
     “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.”

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members

The comic book governor was exactly what he was mean't to be, a comic book villain. For that he was fine. He would never have made the transition to television and been believable.

The television Governor is great. He fits the character well and is really more menacing for his ability to appear normal.

Just my opinion.

Given the right actor, I think they would have been fine going with something that more resembles the comic. However, I've got no probs rollin' with the series Gov.

I liked the way Kirkman injected "moments of sanity" into the Gov character in the comics. He seemed to be batshyte crazy, and yet, he could seem so sincerely polite at times when dealing with his crew, and I never got the sense that he really HAD to be "polite" at all, given his position and circumstances. The character left me questioning whether or not he was truly evil and crazy, with moments of sanity, or if he was mostly sane and afflicted with moments of madness.

We'll see.

Regardless, I believe the series Gov' will get off easier than his comic counterpart...if you know what I mean.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Not that comic Governor could get off at all.

OutLawd

OutLawd

Roamer

• Members
Too soon to judge....

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla
Actually it seems a bit early to compare the two characters, although we already saw a lot about TV Governor in Episode 3. They seem really different, but the comics Governor was perfect, in my opinion. Great entrance, great first battle, great comeback and death.

We'll see what happens with TV Governor, but for sure he had a great entrance, so far!
Make love not war!

BrendanBrady

BrendanBrady

Infected

• Members
Don't get me wrong. I thought Comic Governor was freaking awesome. But T.V one seems so much more believable. Such a classic psychopath.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

Just my opinion.

ITA with you and I think that we have to look at the media here too. Comic versus Television.

Comic = Writer + Artist and editor/publisher ...

TV= (OK long ass dissertation deleted)

What I'm trying to say here is that the actor is the variable in this equation. Morrisey is a fantastic actor and we will not get the Lemmy/Danny Trejo mad dictator in waiting.

This guy will be quite a bit more subdued and will give the air of complete control. When I found out that the Gov part was given to DM, I was confused and at first disappointed. When I saw the scene with the National guard massacre, I got it. This guy might win an Emmy. My hopes are very high. The TV show is very different from the comic. Look at the number of "Survivors" we have at the Prison versus the comic. So I think that this year on the TV show things will appear to evolve faster than they did in the comic. Just a hunch. Could Woodbury go Two seasons?

Also, I don't know where Dallas Roberts' character has come from but I know he is a fantastic actor too. He was great in Rubicon (remember that shortlived masterpiece in waiting?) and The Factory.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
TV Gov = watered down for the masses lets hope they keep at least something from the comics this season........................*hangs head with disgust*

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

TV Gov = watered down for the masses lets hope they keep at least something from the comics this season........................*hangs head with disgust*

I think it is too early to say that he is watered down. We are meeting him earlier in his story than in the comic. I think they will flesh him out fully, but we are going to get to actually witness it, this time.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

I think it is too early to say that he is watered down. We are meeting him earlier in his story than in the comic. I think they will flesh him out fully, but we are going to get to actually witness it, this time.

i sure hope you are right gracie but im not going to hold my breath........they have changed so much of the prison arc already , andrea and michonne meet the gov first and are together for 8 months away from the group ? ummm noooot. At this pace i wonder if Rick is still going to lose his hand .... prob not......

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

i sure hope you are right gracie but im not going to hold my breath........they have changed so much of the prison arc already , andrea and michonne meet the gov first and are together for 8 months away from the group ? ummm noooot. At this pace i wonder if Rick is still going to lose his hand .... prob not......

I certainly hope not.

I think Merle chopping off his own hand was a nod to the comic.

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.

I certainly hope not.

I think Merle chopping off his own hand was a nod to the comic.

You hope Ricks hand stays?

I always enjoyed that, Rick gets all 'powerful' and headstrong but then gets chopped down (litterally) .
I could see ricks hand getting mutilated, IMO they're building him up in the show for a big fall like that
     “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.”

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football
TV Rick get his hand chopped off by Merle-Payback's a bitch. Doubtful. PT I tell you this guy will play the Gov into a new kind of fucked up. His Thorne stuff blew my mind- That character was conflicted by his past. Sleepyhead and Scaredy Cat are must sees before you judge this. Trust me PT. You know me.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

You hope Ricks hand stays?

I always enjoyed that, Rick gets all 'powerful' and headstrong but then gets chopped down (litterally) .
I could see ricks hand getting mutilated, IMO they're building him up in the show for a big fall like that

Yeah; I hope his hand stays. It was good for shock value, but not much more. I highly doubt that they will go that route in the TV series. At this point, it would seem redundant after Merle's self-amputation.

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.

Yeah; I hope his hand stays. It was good for shock value, but not much more. I highly doubt that they will go that route in the TV series. At this point, it would seem redundant after Merle's self-amputation.

I suppose so.
I just hope they're going somewhere good with Merle..
Personally I'm getting a little tired of the dixons lol

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

I suppose so.
I just hope they're going somewhere good with Merle..
Personally I'm getting a little tired of the dixons lol

Evil Grace is totally hoping that the governor takes Daryl out in the same shocking manner as he did Tyreese... and right in front of Merle.

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

Evil Grace is totally hoping that the governor takes Daryl out in the same shocking manner as he did Tyreese... and right in front of Merle.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, that could be really cool. :lol:
Jon is fine, dammit.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
That would be awesome, as much as I like Daryl. Though I feel ratings would drop quite a bit if he dies because every fangirl in the planet would put a curse on AMC. Haha

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

That would be awesome, as much as I like Daryl. Though I feel ratings would drop quite a bit if he dies because every fangirl in the planet would put a curse on AMC. Haha

Yeah, and somewhere right now, DDixonGirl is already placing hexes on Gracie and stitching a voodoo doll. :lol:
Jon is fine, dammit.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

I think I'd be willing to risk it. :lol: Seriously, though, think about how much people would hate the governor - just like the comic - it would be GREAT! :D

edit: uh, oh!

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.

Oh my god I want the same thing!!
Gaaaaddamn do I ever want his head chopped off tyreese style. So many people would be crushed

Never thought about the in front of Merle part...hehehe

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

Oh my god I want the same thing!!
Gaaaaddamn do I ever want his head chopped off tyreese style. So many people would be crushed

Never thought about the in front of Merle part...hehehe

Like others, I've always thought of Daryl as sort of a Tyreese, since he's taking over the "Rick's right hand man" role. I think it's only fair that he get the not so happy ending, as well. It would be really similar, since they are/were such fan favs. Oh, man - now I really want to see this happen. :lol:

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

Like others, I've always thought of Daryl as sort of a Tyreese, since he's taking over the "Rick's right hand man" role. I think it's only fair that he get the not so happy ending, as well. It would be really similar, since they are/were such fan favs. Oh, man - now I really want to see this happen. :lol:

Oooooh, Gracie, why have you put that idea in my head? Now I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen! Hahaha...

*hack hack hack* :jasonani:
Jon is fine, dammit.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!