Infected

• Members
Glenn is there because we need a cute Asian in the za!! :luvzombismile:
Formerly Glennismine...

SlimChances

SlimChances

Infected

• Members
Glenn's storyline will hopefully develop over the course of season 3, seeing as his storyline during season 2 was kinda lovey-dovey and his storyline was pretty much non-existent during season 1

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Glenn and Maggie can easily be a huge part of the tv show - even warranting their own parallel arc. I wouldn't be shocked if they took a load of the show even this season. There is a lot you can do with what amounts to be the only serious couple on the show. They offer hope and are both 100X better than in the comic.

Really hope they don't get their own arc. Imagine how boring that would be? Yes they offer "hope" but how long could that be interesting for? Only directions I can seem them going on if they chose to focus on them would be Maggie getting pregnant, or one of them cheating, both would be cheesy and cliche. Honestly the only way their relationship would make the show better is the drama surrounding it if one of them died. Not to be harsh, I like them as individuals, but focusing too much on romance ruins it for me.

WelcometoNowhere

WelcometoNowhere

S-mart Employee

• Members
At least he has a love interest.

BTW, Glenn is pretty much portrayed the same way in the comics, so I'm assuming that's what they're trying to emulate. He is courageous, athletic, loyal and provides a lighthearted element to the group's dynamics. Not that he's some kind of jokester, but you do need at least one character who isn't a complete Debbie Downer in every scene!
Just sitting pretty on the edge of the world....

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
Every character needs a major arc.

The last thing I want to witness is a retarded version of The Walking Dead: Observations from Daryl" every damn season. That being said, this saga is about real human interactions, not some mindless zombie kill-fest. Real dramas contain interactions between people be it conflicts, family, romance, teamwork, intelligence, etc. If I wanted to see mindless stabbings to the head, I'd be watching Resident Evil.

WelcometoNowhere,
That's exactly my point. The last thing I want is a replication of the graphic novel, we already saw a specific personality of the character, why go down the same exact route?

Von

Von

Infected

• Members
Most writers break down their characters into very select personality traits; the Leader, the Brute, the Brains (Nerd), the Beauty, the Slut, the Mechanic, the Holly Homemaker, the Hillbilly, etc...

I think at the beginning of the series they were trying to peg Glenn as the Brain. The nerdy 'kid' with tactical attributes. Then it is possible that with his ability to formulate plans, that work, would take away from Rick's leadership rights. Afterall, if given a chance why would the group follow Rick's path/plans, if the smart one of the group was there with an idea. So they added yet another cliche by matching the Nerd with the Beauty and downplay his intellect. So Rick could shine.

HungryGhost

HungryGhost

Infected

• Members

Really hope they don't get their own arc. Imagine how boring that would be? Yes they offer "hope" but how long could that be interesting for? Only directions I can seem them going on if they chose to focus on them would be Maggie getting pregnant, or one of them cheating, both would be cheesy and cliche. Honestly the only way their relationship would make the show better is the drama surrounding it if one of them died. Not to be harsh, I like them as individuals, but focusing too much on romance ruins it for me.

Who says it needs to be happy? They cold easily get. Caught away from the group,

jessejames

jessejames

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationtexas
yah glenn is a likeable characteri remember back in season one when i was seeing the show i wasnt yet aware of the comics i thought it would revolve around rick and glenn of course glenn is still around he now has maggie and daryl is ricks right hand man now
rick and michonne 3 - little girl walkers 0

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Who says it needs to be happy? They cold easily get. Caught away from the group,

You said they offered hope, hope = happy, mushy, etc. in terms of relationships. I'm not completely against it if its well written, I just don't see how it could be at this point. I wouldn't mind focusing on their relationship in terms of how they help/support each other get through the main struggles, but that isn't material for an entire arc, its filler. I would just hate for another love triangle to pop up or Maggie getting preggo too (which damn as much as they imply the two of them get it on you would have thought it would have been Maggie pregnant and not Lori).

Zombeemom

Zombeemom

Lurker

• Members

Most writers break down their characters into very select personality traits; the Leader, the Brute, the Brains (Nerd), the Beauty, the Slut, the Mechanic, the Holly Homemaker, the Hillbilly, etc....

So does that make the Governor Principal Vernon? They all have Saturday morning detention at the Shermer High School library, Rick is Emilio Estevez and Daryl is Judd Nelson? :-)

ZombieRicketts

ZombieRicketts

Lurker

• Members
Glen is one of my favorite characters, so stop talking about killing him off!

I think he will play at least a larger part cominng up this season, especially if they try to infiltrate woodbury, or, giving what we now know, he might be doing forays into town for diapers and formula (although it looks like Daryl is on that case judging by the preview for Ep 5)

i did kind of dislike how Rick stepped on his skills by not letting him run for the gate after Glenn offered, but I think that was just because Rick was beyond caring about his own safety. Either way, I expect him to stick around for a while.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan
Through his relationship with Maggie, Glenn offers hope for a future that has love and tenderness in it. Their love provides a pleasant contract to what we have seen so far with Rick, Lori, and Shane. Even with Shane dead, Rick and Lori's relationship was not something anyone wanted anytime, let alone a ZA.

Also, everyone can't be at the thrust of every episode. In S2, along with falling in love with Maggie, he was the one with the secrets and the one who accompanied Rick to retrieve Hershel. Then, the focus shifted to Shane's craziness and Randall's fate. Glenn was a part of all of that.

Now in S3, the focus has been on clearing the prison and making it a home. Glenn has been just as much a part of that as anyone else. When Hershel got bit, he was there to help with his care, comfort Maggie, and put Hershel down if necessary. And that was his place. As Maggie's boyfriend, Hershel is family. His role was to take care of his family. He was needed there. Rick, Daryl and T-Dog had the prisoners.

Having thought about what has transpired at the prison in S3, I could ask the same question of every character. It's not like Glenn has become Beth.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
Ricketts,
It wasn't Rick that stopped Glenn from running across the yard; it was Maggie. While I do think the relationship is a great one to have for both of them, I fear that it's going to stifle him but like D2Day said, hopefully it won't turn out that way.

HungryGhost

HungryGhost

Infected

• Members

You said they offered hope, hope = happy, mushy, etc. in terms of relationships. I'm not completely against it if its well written, I just don't see how it could be at this point. I wouldn't mind focusing on their relationship in terms of how they help/support each other get through the main struggles, but that isn't material for an entire arc, its filler. I would just hate for another love triangle to pop up or Maggie getting preggo too (which damn as much as they imply the two of them get it on you would have thought it would have been Maggie pregnant and not Lori).

I don't think hope implies happy. I think they can provide a story line that gives us hope that a couple can make it through a large part of the ZA and still be human. None of the couples have made it to the point of even manageability of the ZA. Setting them up to give us the feeling that they are a happy couple to only rip that a part and then give them a sense of closure would make for great TV. I don't think they'll have a happy ending. Nor do I see anyone as "happy". The best to hope for is people survive a life worth living.

cooper56

cooper56

S-mart Employee

• Members
I think its way way to early to kill glenn hes not devloped enough imo still has story i full expect him to die but not this season i think he has more in him. IMO it would be worst thing they ever did no this show.

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
I'm having my fingers crossed that they take a different path from the book with Glenn flipping out and turning into a really dark character (like Rick went through) in order to watch out for Maggie.

I'm sure Gracie wouldn't appreciate that though. :)

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan
With Lori and T-Dog's death, the pond just got a little bit smaller. So, I think Glenn will become a big fish again before you know it.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

brandon21

brandon21

Infected

• Members
Am i only one who cant remember what glenn even did or where he was in ep4. Honestly i think he did that little i remember he had sex in the tower than thats it lol.

mrsmayhem

mrsmayhem

Infected

• Members

So does that make the Governor Principal Vernon? They all have Saturday morning detention at the Shermer High School library, Rick is Emilio Estevez and Daryl is Judd Nelson? :-)

Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?
bahahahah
Formerly Glennismine...

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members

Am i only one who cant remember what glenn even did or where he was in ep4. Honestly i think he did that little i remember he had sex in the tower than thats it lol.

He had the most kickass zombie kill during the episode.

brandon21

brandon21

Infected

• Members

He had the most kickass zombie kill during the episode.

Glenn was my fav character in s1 and s2... but idk this season is weird honestly feels like he was down graded.

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationcuffed to a roof
Glen is the new T-Dog, except he gots lines earlier so we know more about him.

TranziT

TranziT

Infected

• Members
How do you question Glen?

Out of almost everyone left, Glen has messed up the least.
That I can remember, the worst thing he ever did was freeze up in a firefight. That's it.

Treboruk

Treboruk

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom
Glenn is the sort of "handyman" of the group. People ask his advice...he's good at killing zombies, and he seems to have a heart still. I admit recently though he has not had much screen time....maybe the writers are waiting for the perfect moment for him to make a comeback.
Frank West - the ultimate zombie apocalypse survivor.
-Hes covered wars you know...

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

I'm having my fingers crossed that they take a different path from the book with Glenn flipping out and turning into a really dark character (like Rick went through) in order to watch out for Maggie.

I'm sure Gracie wouldn't appreciate that though. :)

No, I wouldn't. :P

I'm ok with them taking Glenn on a bit of a different ride, but I'd rather it not change the core of who he is as a person. I think we have enough examples of that in other characters - Rick, Carl, Shane, etc...

I wouldn't stop watching if they did, but I'm sure he wouldn't be my favorite character any more, and that would be sad. :( :lol:

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!