• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,058 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
I never would have thought I would change my tune but after last night, I could see a Carol and Daryl pairing. I’m not saying there needs to be, or will be a romance. However I was so adamant in all my previous posts that it could never happen, I think it only right to admit I changed my mind. Truth is we only saw them interact briefly. The time lapse seems to have allowed each time for Carol and Daryl to both get their comfort and confidence levels up. Daryl doesn’t flinch when he touches her and she can crack a joke. Had Carol been like this last season I may not have written much of what I did. I suppose that it has to be a natural progression of the story, last season may have been too soon. It I don’t really see the mother/son relationship that I was stuck on. I think I see the start of a beautiful friendship. The two of them being friends can add more depth to Daryl, I wonder how many real female friends he had before ZA. There was disscussion of Carol and T-Dog, now that Carol has more confidence I can see that. Again I'm not lobbying for more couples, Im just pleased that Carol has gown into a confident person who doesnt seem like she would drag a partner down, be it friend or lover,

Edited by Sweetsister, 15 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image

carylshipper4life

carylshipper4life

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 110 posts
I've always been a shipper of these two, and I'm glad that Daryl and Carol can joke around and Daryl gave her the message. So I like the new Carol, i've always liked Carol but she's really grown now. She's shooting and she's happy. I think this season Daryl and Carol could start a relationship and make caryl happen since it will be about them and not about looking for Sophia. That was the perfect caryl moment yet:) and they never been a mother/son.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I agree. I think without Carol, Daryl would have drifted further away from the group until he left all together. Carol showed him that people do need each other, so he stayed. I'm not wanting a romantic relationship for them but a great friendship. It just shows there is still life in the ZA. Carol lost her abusive husband and loving daughter and with no one else in the world for her, you would think she would want to just end it. But she carries on and lives for the group like a family.

Attached Files

I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • LocationCanada
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see where they actually take the relationship, if both of them live for the rest of the season. I think Carol is more ready for it to be more than just friends than Daryl is...even though he doesn't flinch away from touching her, you could sure see him start to get uncomfortable, even when he was massaging her. It was like he suddenly realised that what he was doing was pretty touchy-feely, and they were alone, so he quit. If Carol makes a move at this point, I think he'll pull away. But somewhere down the line, he might reciprocate.

Either way, i think they have one of the most subtley(is that a word?) tender relationships on the show, whether it be friendship or love.

I can't see Carol and T-Dog, because I can't really remember them interacting, ever. With Rick and Lori on the fritz, I'd be OK with one more romantic relationship in the group...I don't think there is any chance of it becoming Shane-Lori-Rick 2.0(thankfully).

Luv2readt.

Luv2readt.

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 155 posts
Daryl noticed that Carol had something wrong with her shoulder and he initiated the massage. That speaks volumes about their relationship. He stopped rubbing her shoulder (I think) when he realized that it was nice to touch a warm breathing person. Carol seemed comfortable with him touching her but didn't try to prolong it. Good for both of them. I loved the scene, it was nice to see how their friendship/dare I say courtship is progressing slowly and realistically. Though it may be time to amp it up a little, it is the ZA you know.

Could you imagine what Merle would have said had he been watching that scene?

Edited by Luv2readt., 15 October 2012 - 07:18 PM.

carylshipper4life

carylshipper4life

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 110 posts

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see where they actually take the relationship, if both of them live for the rest of the season. I think Carol is more ready for it to be more than just friends than Daryl is...even though he doesn't flinch away from touching her, you could sure see him start to get uncomfortable, even when he was massaging her. It was like he suddenly realised that what he was doing was pretty touchy-feely, and they were alone, so he quit. If Carol makes a move at this point, I think he'll pull away. But somewhere down the line, he might reciprocate.

Either way, i think they have one of the most subtley(is that a word?) tender relationships on the show, whether it be friendship or love.

I can't see Carol and T-Dog, because I can't really remember them interacting, ever. With Rick and Lori on the fritz, I'd be OK with one more romantic relationship in the group...I don't think there is any chance of it becoming Shane-Lori-Rick 2.0(thankfully).

Yup, Daryl like Norman said "daryl's like a virgin." I imagine he's never been kissed, never had sex etc. I mean, all he ever had was Merle, and I mean it's just...I doubt he ever had any friends boys or girls. So he's not use to all of this. It surprised me that he offered to give her the message I mean, he's comfortable around her now. They got close in S2 I mean him reaching and catching her when she was running toward Sophia, I still can't get over that moment...the feels I had. OMG it was perfect! He don't won't to lose Carol and I think if they kill her off it will affect him in a lot of different ways. If it weren't for her Daryl wouldn't be Rick's second in command and he probably would of left the group in the first place. Carol has changed Daryl in a good way.

carylshipper4life

carylshipper4life

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 110 posts

Daryl noticed that Carol had something wrong with her shoulder and he initiated the massage. That speaks volumes about their relationship. He stopped rubbing her shoulder (I think) when he realized that it was nice to touch a warm breathing person. Carol seemed comfortable with him touching her but didn't try to prolong it. Good for both of them. I loved the scene, it was nice to see how their friendship/dare I say courtship is progressing slowly and realistically. Though it may be time to amp it up a little, it is the ZA you know.

Could you imagine what Merle would have said had he been watching that scene?

I know right! I think that's why he stopped. He realizes that it's nice to touch sometimes. I can't wait to see where their relationship goes (hopefully) further:)

thelasttrank

thelasttrank

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 120 posts
they just seem to be real close now but nothing romantic i think she'll hook up with one of the prisoners..daryl and michonne people daryl and michonne

Jon W

Jon W

Lurker

• Members
  • 403 posts
I've got a different take on the shoulder massage.... (although I agree that Carol and Daryl's relationship is 'better').

Daryl was reacting to Carol as "a fighter". She had been shooting, her shoulder was sore, he went to rub it - to be blunt, he would have done the same thing for any of the guys if it had been (for example) T-Dog talking with him with a sore shoulder.

However - as *soon* as he realized that Carol was "female", he stopped. You could see the "what am I doing" look, and his hands come away.

It was not a romantic gesture... and the stop of it shows that Daryl is still not ready for a sexual relationship.

That being said, it's clear that Carol and Daryl have become a lot closer (she's teasing him, and he isn't angry about it - quite a change on both parts!) - but my take is that it's just as friends.

DDixonGirl

DDixonGirl

Lurker

• Members
  • 229 posts
I guess I'm the only one who thought that scene was beyond wierd...not all of it, but parts of it...

That just wasn't Daryl or Carol.... It was like for that scene Norman & Melissa were playing 2 different characters.....

I get the time jump, but come on... I want to see the character growth....Not be told that they have progressed, grown, changed....

I will admit that I wasn't as annoyed with Carol as I have been since the beginning, but that's probably because that isn't Carol.....

The scene with Carol almost shooting Rick was actually kind of cute & funny......Also, I did like that they haven't made her a sharpshooter, zombie killer machine...that she is still learning....that I give Kudos too.. and I'm glad that the whinning is gone.....(okay get the smelling salts out for Creeper... I just gave Carol a compliment...shocking....LOL)

The scene with Fake Daryl and whoever MM is playing now is wierd.... I guess Mommy has decided to make lude jokes to her son....

Sorry guys, but this Carol hater isn't buying it.....

I wouldn't mind a friendship.....that would fit.....but anything more would be just eeeewwww....growth or not, off-camera or not, No freaking way...

It wasn't so much the rubbing her shoulder.... It was different, but not romantic... .it was the wierd jokes....the sexual inneuendo from Carol too Daryl.... it seemed like friendly banter...not romantic, but so not Carol...

IDK..... I'm really trying to change my tune when it comes to Carol, but I want to know what happened... what caused the complete 180 from prime/proper, whiny, needy, judgemental, burden, to miss happy go lucky, making lude jokes to someone she treated like a son just 7 months ago in the middle of a ZA...

I know I'm alone in this, but I just need to see more I guess...

Maybe, if they show a few flashbacks of when the change happened, how it happened..... but until then I'm sticking to my guns...Glad she isn't whinny anymore...

It would be nice if they did have Daryl/Carol as friends... support each other, care about each other like family, etc, but I really can't see a pairing...because I just don't see any sexual or romantic chemistry.....JMO

Commence to bashing, throwing things, spitting.... .....

carylshipper4life

carylshipper4life

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 110 posts
How is the Daryl and Carol ewwww? That's what I want to know! Carol/M.M is very beautiful and Carol and Daryl go cute together. Also I doubt that Daryl would of rubbed T-Dogs or anyone others shoulder. I'm a Caryl shipper and I loved that scene, it's great how they are so comfortable with each other now, and the jokes...maybe they were too much, but i'm glad they happened. I mean Carol lost her daughter and was torn from it, we saw close to the end of S2 Carol beginning to grow strength. I honestly believe that if neither Daryl or Carol dies this season they'll end up hooking up. Also I doubt Daryl would like Carol with one of the inmates, let alone someone else in there group. I just don't get the Carol hate????

HELP?

love2chuck

love2chuck

Infected

• Members
  • 4 posts
I too wish there had been more progression (I know they hate flashbacks but did enough of them in S2) onscreen. I didn't think it was weird though. Daryl to me was still Daryl - and what I saw was him getting nervous when she looked at him. :) Then he stopped. Did anyone miss his laugh back when she was joking with him??????? He laughed too. That assured me the joking was mutual, he was just being "more business", which is fine and he's come a long way reaching out to touch her on his own. I see romance evenutually but more playful and subtle. I can't believe how split the fandom is over this, but everyone is going to have their opinions. It's just sad because I have come across so many dreadful posts about "Carol" without regard to how it would make Melissa McB feel. People can be so cruel and really when it comes down to it - we are all fans. We're all gonna keep watching.

Augustana

Augustana

Infected

• Members
  • 14 posts
I loved that little scene. Did the interaction between those two not feel total natural? Great acting on both sides (and can I just say that Melissa's one beautiful woman!).

I agree with love2chuck, he was getting uncomfortable when she was looking back at him. The funny thing is that she knew instantly what he was thinking as soon as he stopped and suggested to go back. And so she teased him with that. Great scene! Right now, I see it more as a friendship thing which is perfectly OK with me as long as it goes on like this.

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members
  • 262 posts
Except for the last episode of season two, I have always liked Carol a lot. She seems like one of the most realistic characters on the show. I guess some people are under the impression the same amount of time has gone by on the show as in real life, but there were plenty of discussions hammering out the timeline of the show. IIRC, it was maybe three months for Carol between living in the normal world with an abusive jerk of a husband that she had been with at least ten years judging by Sophia's age to when the farm was overrun, so I don't understand why so many think she should have been some strong independent sharp-shooter bad ass.

I hope Carol and Daryl end up together. They both come from very abusive backgrounds, and I think they're good for each other. I think she's very pretty and sweet, and so what if she has some grey hair, it doesn't mean she's in her sixties. If she is even older than Daryl, it can't be by much, and so what? Regardless of what 'Hollywood' would like us to believe, there are lots of couples in the world where the woman is older. Plus, as big a fan of Daryl as I am, the reality is he's a pretty scruffy guy who doesn't practice a lot of personal hygiene, so while he may be attractive on screen, in real life, puhlease, someone like that is not exactly going to have women falling all over themselves to be with him. Can you just imagine, if this was real, how bad the guy would have smelled walking around with a necklace made of decomposing zombie ears?

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,263 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Except for the last episode of season two, I have always liked Carol a lot. She seems like one of the most realistic characters on the show. I guess some people are under the impression the same amount of time has gone by on the show as in real life, but there were plenty of discussions hammering out the timeline of the show. IIRC, it was maybe three months for Carol between living in the normal world with an abusive jerk of a husband that she had been with at least ten years judging by Sophia's age to when the farm was overrun, so I don't understand why so many think she should have been some strong independent sharp-shooter bad ass.

I hope Carol and Daryl end up together. They both come from very abusive backgrounds, and I think they're good for each other. I think she's very pretty and sweet, and so what if she has some grey hair, it doesn't mean she's in her sixties. If she is even older than Daryl, it can't be by much, and so what? Regardless of what 'Hollywood' would like us to believe, there are lots of couples in the world where the woman is older. Plus, as big a fan of Daryl as I am, the reality is he's a pretty scruffy guy who doesn't practice a lot of personal hygiene, so while he may be attractive on screen, in real life, puhlease, someone like that is not exactly going to have women falling all over themselves to be with him. Can you just imagine, if this was real, how bad the guy would have smelled walking around with a necklace made of decomposing zombie ears?

Hey! Nice to see you back. I always enjoyed your commentary.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
Posted Image

Interesting that they'd post this. Hmm....
Posted Image

gagewhitney

gagewhitney

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 153 posts
EW talked to Robert Kirkman, and here's what he had to say:
There was a scene between Daryl and Carol in which she asked him he if he wanted to “screw around.” I wasn’t sure whether we were supposed to think that is something they might have started doing in the interim, or whether she was just joking.
I think that was kind of a playful way of hinting that they have a very close relationship, but neither one [is] all that necessarily interested in an intimate relationship at this point. I mean, it was kind of a nod to that but also a way of showing that neither of these two characters take that seriously.

As long as they remain platonic friends -- which is honestly what I got out of that scene -- I'm fine with this new (kind of kooky) Carol and Daryl being friends.

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • LocationCanada
Oh yeah, I have no doubt there have been no intimacies so far. And I think that situation proved that, like Kirkman said, at this point neither of them are ready for it. BUT...he said "at this point." B)

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 121 posts
To make it real, Carol and Daryl should be all over each other by now.

WalkerBaitress

WalkerBaitress

Roamer

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationTampa-area, FL

There was a scene between Daryl and Carol in which she asked him he if he wanted to “screw around.” I wasn’t sure whether we were supposed to think that is something they might have started doing in the interim, or whether she was just joking.
I think that was kind of a playful way of hinting that they have a very close relationship, but neither one [is] all that necessarily interested in an intimate relationship at this point. I mean, it was kind of a nod to that but also a way of showing that neither of these two characters take that seriously.

As long as they remain platonic friends -- which is honestly what I got out of that scene -- I'm fine with this new (kind of kooky) Carol and Daryl being friends.

That was the way I saw it, too. The whole group has been through a lot together, and it would make sense that Daryl and Carol, already being good friends, would become "brothers in arms" of sorts, now that Carol has some skill with a weapon and can fight side-by-side with the rest of them rather than complaining and expecting others to protect her all the time. JMO of course. :)
"Stick them with the pointy end." Arya Stark, Game of Thrones

DDixonGirl

DDixonGirl

Lurker

• Members
  • 229 posts

That is how I saw that scene... Nothing romantic, but friends joking around....

You know, sometimes I don't explain myself very well and it comes out all kinds of wrong......I didn't exactly hate the scene.....I was shocked by it because it was a different Carol then I expected to see...and if I have to admit it....(Hang onto your hats, because this is going to shock the heck out of everyone)...I liked this version of Carol in a way...(see I give a little...LOL)...Although, I don't understand what got her to this point and hope they show us...and I will need to see more, much more to change my opinion of her....

I hated her in S1 & S2, because of the whinning, the complaining, the doing nothing...not contributing, just sitting back... I hated her not looking for Sophia, expecting others to take care of her, the judgmental looks with no words....I couldn't stand watching her "mother" Daryl, because that is what "I" saw, when she wasn't out looking for her kid.....and I expected to see that Carol again.....but that Carol seems to be gone...

I'll admit this...

I like that she isn't whinning anymore, isn't standing around expected everyone to do everything for her, while she does nothing...

I like that they didn't make her Andrea.... Rick saying that she's getting better with a gun and showing her almost shooting Rick was good..... because she is still learning and that is what I would expect someone like Carol to do....Not be a sharp shooter, but still learning...

I actually laughed when she almost shot Rick and she yelled "Sorry"..... Yes, I laughed at a Carol scene.... Amazing...but it was a good scene....(WOW that wasn't hard)LOL

The scene with Carol/Daryl was wierd to me, because I was expecting Carol from S1/S2.... it was because the Carol I have grown to loathe wouldn't be so bold, wouldn't be laughing, wouldn't be flirty like that.....but this is supposedly new Carol...

I agree with those who say that Carol is getting the rewards from off camera growth and I agree with that... We watched the others grow & change in S1 & S2....Andrea, Rick, Shane, Daryl, Lori, Carl, Hershel, Glen... We saw things take place.....but for Carol, it's all off-camera and we are being "Told" instead of shown her growth.......that is a problem for me......because I'd rather see it play out...

Same way I feel about Rick/Lori/Carl situation..... I wonder WTH happened to make Lori so contrite, Rick so hateful to her, and Carl hate her.... I like seeing the roles of Rick/Lori reversed.... he was always trying to make peace & she was a viscious bitch most of the time.....and Carl hating his mother???? I would love to see what took place... Did he find out about Shane Jr???? did they fight in front of the group???? I hope we see what happened to make that change...

I'm going to give Carol a chance....(OMG, I think the docs have upped my meds or something...LOL), because I did kind of like that Carol last night... As long as she is contributing, not just taking... as long as she is trying, not just doing nothing....I will sit back, watch, and see what happens.. Maybe, I won't hate her so much, but I still can't give her a pass about Sophia....

I will never be a Carol/Daryl fan, because I think after last night's epi they would make good friends, but not a good pairing at any point....... JMO...I agree with Norman Reedus on that.....Plus, I don't see that kind of chemistry, but again JMO...Beside, it would be really refreshing for a change to have a man/woman friendship without the sex, romance BS....Not to mention, they aren't suited for each other... I highly suspect Carol has far more experience than Daryl and she might just hurt him...>LOL

I really, really hope that they show some flashbacks or have some convo's about what happened over the last 7 months, because that would be helpful with the changes and not just Carol...but especially with Carol.... At least for me...

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,263 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida
Carol has grown and so have you, DDixonGirl. :lol:

I too, wish that we could have seen some of Carol's growth. The writers must have done something right though, because, for the most part, it seems that most of the Carol comments have been positive.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,494 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers
If they had shown Carol growing, we'd have to listen to constant whining about how she hadn't changed and is still boring. I'm fine with how they did it. I can use my imagination to fill in the blanks.

DDixonGirl

DDixonGirl

Lurker

• Members
  • 229 posts

If they had shown Carol growing, we'd have to listen to constant whining about how she hadn't changed and is still boring. I'm fine with how they did it. I can use my imagination to fill in the blanks.

I respectfully disagree..... I don't think anyone is "whinning" about Carol...just stating our different opinions.....and feelings about the character...

If they had shown her changing, growing, progressin it would have been better...not just for Carol, but for the story....

Sort of like with Andrea..... There were times when I wanted someone to rip her head off, but we saw the changes and growth..... We watched Shane slowly descend into crazy land....We watched Rick make his change.....Daryl, etc..... we saw it happen...... We can use our imaginations all we want, but it would have been better to see it play out...

I imagine a scene with her "whinning" about being a burder and Rick or Daryl telling her to STFU and do something about it....

I imagine a scene where after having a close call and someone, maybe Carl or Beth almost gets bite while Carol stands there....the rest of the group fights back, but she didn't, and they all look at her with disdain or something, Carol realizes that the group isn't going to have her butt if she doesn't have thiers so she decides to ask Daryl to teach her to fight, shot, survive...

I would have loved to see a scene where Carol admits to her faults, failures, and decides to survive....it would have been great to see..

IDK, I guess I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't..... end of whinning...

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,494 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers
Complaining might have been a better word for me to use; my apologies. It's just one that is used to describe Carol a lot, so I think it popped into my head. Not that the above grouchy post of mine was aimed at you in particular, anyway. Although, seeing that you are pretty vocal about Carol, I can see how you would take it that way. It wasn't my intention.

I liked the feeling of getting up to speed and figuring out what's been going on - I didn't need to see it. I think people would have said the show was moving too slow again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!