• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

I R Biter

I R Biter

Roamer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • LocationSpace City

Does anyone know if this Rick/Lori/Shane drama has appeared in soap operas before? I'm sure it must have!

An annoying, hyperfeminine waif in a love triangle? Nope, never seen that before, what a novel idea!

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,257 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys

Hello All. Long time "lurker", first time poster here. I've seen others post on here that Lori is feeling ashamed for her actions. Well, she has every right to feel ashamed because she is a tramp. That's right, I said it. Why do I dislike Lori, let me count the ways:

1. She waits a whole 1-2 weeks, out of respect for her beloved dead husband (tongue firmly in cheek), before she starts making mad monkey love with her husbands BEST FRIEND. His best friend no less.

2. In seasons 1 & 2 she contributes next to nothing to the group but DRAMA and lots of it.

3. Related to point 2, throughout season 1 & 2, Lori plays "high school" head games with her husband and her boyfriend as though she is completely oblivious to the seriousness of the Life/Death situation they are in. She either didn't understand the seriousness of the situation or was too selfish to care, either way it's not good.

Rick has every reason to be angry with her. I would prefer it if Rick would just tell Lori straight out why he doesn't like her and what a P.O.S she is. I think Rick has been resisting his urge to do so up to this point for the mental welfare of the group.
It's one more reason why Rick is a great man/leader and why Lori doesn't deserve him.

Thank you for indulging my rant ;)

You really should lurk less and comment more. I like the way you cut the B.S. and get to the heart of the matter. :zombiethumbsup:
The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

ScottoftheDead

ScottoftheDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa
Interesting....

Is it me, or do i see some definite lines in regards to gender on this issue?

Women are tending to go off emotion, and feeling sorry or empathy for Lori, and the guys are like ---- the B----! Shes a cheater, liar, and Ricks gotta keep everyone alive, and doesnt have time for this.

I find it bizarre that people think you can "bounce back" from total betrayal of trust....Once its gone its gone. Its never the same again.
Perhaps "some" have a personal investment in this through their own life experience and thats why they favor Lori's side?(oh no he di'int!) Yes, i did. :oscargrouch:
I personally saw nothing new from Lori, if they are trying to make her like able, they are doing a crap job. Stop giving her lines, and fill in the space with another tune from Beth and Maggie.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,399 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers

Interesting....

Women are tending to go off emotion, and feeling sorry or empathy for Lori, and the guys are like ---- the B----! Shes a cheater, liar, and Ricks gotta keep everyone alive, and doesnt have time for this.

I find it bizarre that people think you can "bounce back" from total betrayal of trust....Once its gone its gone. Its never the same again.
Perhaps "some" have a personal investment in this through their own life experience and thats why they favor Lori's side?(oh no he di'int!) Yes, i did. :oscargrouch:
I personally saw nothing new from Lori, if they are trying to make her like able, they are doing a crap job. Stop giving her lines, and fill in the space with another tune from Beth and Maggie.

Oh, plenty of women hate Lori.

I think life experiences play into many people's feelings on the subject. I have been with my husband probably about the same amount of time that Lori and Rick have been together, and I can't imagine not being able to forgive him in that situation. Also, I've been pregnant and I can imagine how terrified Lori must feel right now, and have sympathy for her.

I'm guessing that's not exactly what you were trying to imply, though. :zombirolleye:

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Interesting....

I have empathy for both sides(and I'm female). Like Gracie said, I look at my own relationship with my husband and I can't imagine swallowing a betrayal as "easily" as Rick did. I can't imagine feeling cornered into killing my own best friend and partner. But then I think of being heavily pregnant, terrified, and feeling like my husband and child hate me. I'm all alone. And so I feel empathy for Lori.

I agree that their relationship will never be the same again..people don't bounce back as though nothing happened. But that doesn't mean you can't rebuild a relationship after betrayal. I have never experienced unfaithfulness in my marriage, but I've seen it in others, and I've seen them slowly forgive and rebuild. It can be done, when both sides really want it and are willing to slog through the pain. So yes, that is some life experience. But that certainly doesn't mean you need to have betrayed anyone to be able to put yourself in Lori's shoes.

Edited by Creeper, 17 October 2012 - 03:25 AM.

scarycrow

scarycrow

Infected

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
I had to stop lurking just to mention the talk Rick and Shane had in season one. It sounded to me like a possible affair was already going on between Lori and Shane early on. Rick's death was probably just what she needed (at the time) to make her mind up since things were obviously sour in their relationship.

Seriously, that conversation ties it all together for me on this topic.

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada
What talk are you refering to? I didn't get the feeling at any point that there was any affair before the ZA..though I did get the feeling that Shane thought Lori was a mighty fine woman and maybe had his eye on her. I do think they had a fairly close relationship though, which is certainly always dangerous when there is attraction on at least one side.

scarycrow

scarycrow

Infected

• Members
  • 18 posts

What talk are you refering to? I didn't get the feeling at any point that there was any affair before the ZA..though I did get the feeling that Shane thought Lori was a mighty fine woman and maybe had his eye on her. I do think they had a fairly close relationship though, which is certainly always dangerous when there is attraction on at least one side.

In the car before everything started when Shane asked Rick how they were doing. Rick went on about their communication problems and painted a picture that she was in fact fed up with him.

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada
Nah..I don't think so. They were having serious marital problems, yep. Maybe they even would have got a divorce. But I think Shane's advice to Rick was just that of a good friend who is worried about him. I just saw so much love for Rick from Shane in that early time period, I don't think he had crossed that line. And from Shane/Lori's interaction when Shane told Lori Rick had been shot, I didn't get the impression there had been any intimacy there. Just that Shane cared a lot about Lori and Carl, and maybe that he felt a lot of guilt over "allowing" Rick to get shot.

ElloraDixon

ElloraDixon

Infected

• Members
  • 98 posts
I dont have to do what they did to feel something called empathy. I can put myself in their shoes and try to feel what they feel.

And it is easy to point a finger at the woman, always. It has been like that since the world started and I am not surprised. But if Lori is to blame, so is Shane. He betrayed his best friend and was the one that told Lori Rick was dead.

But of course hehehehe, some people play dumb when it is the man the wrong one.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,088 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida
Watching the marathon,I picked up something new. After Lori crashed the car and she and Shane were talking back at Hershel's house, Shane alluded to feelings before the ZA. He said something like "I know you felt it, too." Lori vehemently denied any feelings. That scene reassured me that nothing happened prior to the ZA.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,088 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

I dont have to do what they did to feel something called empathy. I can put myself in their shoes and try to feel what they feel.

And it is easy to point a finger at the woman, always. It has been like that since the world started and I am not surprised. But if Lori is to blame, so is Shane. He betrayed his best friend and was the one that told Lori Rick was dead.

You are absolutely right.
Not to mention that Shane wanted to continue "the affair" after Rick returned. Lori made it clear that it wasn't going to happen.

scarycrow

scarycrow

Infected

• Members
  • 18 posts

???

ust that Shane cared a lot about Lori and Carl, and maybe that he felt a lot of guilt over "allowing" Rick to get shot.

Shane felt a lot more guilt than over Rick being shot. Shane did a great job of hiding his true colors from most viewers until the crap hit the fan, "good friend" or not. Again my whole point is that the marriage was on shaky ground for a while and it was obvious (to me at least) that Lori for whatever reason was tired of Rick to the degree nothing he could say "positive" mattered anymore. Even if nothing physical went down prior, Lori was already with one foot out the door.

Roadkill

Roadkill

Infected

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationChicago
I get the whole "Lori and Shane became intimate to fast" idea. To me it's not hard to see how that could happen given the circumstances, and by that I mean running for their lives and fighting for survival. Regardless it's still a good argument that Lori shacked up with Shane way too quickly.

What I don't get is how people view her reaction to Rick killing Shane.

What I thought was probably going through her mind at that moment (when she looked at him with horror on her face) was disbelief and shock that Rick had done something she really didn't think him capable of. I think she was more worried about losing the Rick she had always known - than she was grieving the death of Shane.

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Even if nothing physical went down prior, Lori was already with one foot out the door.

Maybe, but not in the sense that she was having an affair with Shane. She had one foot out the door in that she was perhaps ready to get out of the marriage. I think Shane fell into her lap(ha) at a time when she was emotionally unstable to begin with, and with the ZA, multiply that by 100.

I don't think that season 2 Shane was the same guy as pre-ZA Shane. Obviously the potential was always there, but all sorts of crazyness can come out of the woodwork when you are under that kind of stress. So I don't really agree that he was "hiding" his true colors.

I don't think we are really in disagreement here, just on a few details.

Edited by Creeper, 17 October 2012 - 05:11 AM.

Jamber

Jamber

Infected

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada
the lori getting with shane so quickly debate has always been for me at least, very naive view by some on that ... she could a hooked up with him for one simple reason .. survival .. had nothing to do with rick who she assumed was dead .. she had no survival abilities and she had carl to look after .. them alone in a ZA = them dead most likely .. so she goes with the alpha male shane, to get protection .. in a ZA i think most would, if they're single or widowed ... i can be truthfully/brutally honest, while i don't have children, i do have a younger brother and sister who aren't crackshot soldiers but still kids, i'd have to do something to keep them safe, why b/c i love them and would sacrifice anything for their well being

that being said, yes lori was annoying throughout season2 but the "easy hookup with shane" to me, didn't really seem like much of a big deal, just the dumb decisions like going in a ditch to avoid hitting the only zombie in the road xD

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I don't think that Lori intentionally lied to Rick (about her feelings for Shane). I think Lori was usually in a state of denial and guilt. That is why she handled it so badly. She was confused over her complex feelings for both men.

It seems that the way she reacted to Rick (in the S2 finale) was the final nail in the coffin, for most people. It is really hard to defend her in that scene. Re-watching the marathon, she recoiled from him, at least twice. Right when Rick needed her the most.
In a interview, SWC stated that Lori didn't even realize how strong her feelings for Shane were until he was dead.

I do blame the writers for some of the hate. I don't think they adequately conveyed that she was usually acting out of self hatred and guilt. The way that some scenes were filmed didn't do her any favors either. I've said before that they way they filmed the scene (when Lori was warning Rick about Shane) with Lori leaning over Rick and whispering all sinister like made is seem more manipulative then it really was.

I agree that Lori had no idea how she truly felt about Shane until she actually heard that Rick killed him. My posts were purely from Rick's point of view, and the fallout from that encounter.

I also agree that the writers and production staff did the Lori character no favors. They said they were surprised at how much hate she received.

I'm surprised that they were surprised. Do they re-read the scripts? Have a look at the scenes before they air?

Edited by babyMOMMAdrama, 17 October 2012 - 11:07 AM.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

Zombeemom

Zombeemom

Lurker

• Members
  • 216 posts
I always assumed Shane went to get Lori and Carl when the ZA hit, she didn't go looking for him. He went to get her out of it being "the right thing to do" for Rick, out of respect for Rick. From what I'm reading, your'e saying she slept with Shane to use him for survival, making her a total tramp that thinks the only reason anyone would care for her is cuz she's good in bed.

I saw their pre-ZA as Shane was a little jealous of what Rick and Lori had. He might have wanted her prior to the ZA, but didn't do it, once again, out of respect for Rick. He wanted that family life that Rick had, I kinda got that feeling in the S1 premiere, yah he could get all the girls he wanted, but it wasn't like what Rick had. Rick had stability and constant love in his life, another reason why he went back for them when the ZA hit. He told Rick that he didn't keep them alive, they kept him alive.

As for her "feelings" for Shane, I will give her this, the man who took care of her when Rick was shot and at the beginning of the ZA was killed, might have come as a shock. That about as much as she gets from me as far as her reaction to Rick goes.

Edited by Zombeemom, 17 October 2012 - 11:09 AM.

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • 595 posts

I think Shane received adequate punishment for his mistakes and actions.....

:2206_mourning_over_dead_friend:

:zombie02:

:2206_mourning_over_dead_friend:

Edited by babyMOMMAdrama, 17 October 2012 - 11:10 AM.

Rick's Hat

Rick's Hat

Lurker

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationThe Outskirts of Crazytown

Interesting, I didn't catch that.

Sorry this is off topic from the thread, but another thing, Carl finds two cans of dog food and starts to open one and Rick takes the other one and chucks it into the fireplace. Was Rick mad at Carl? Or mad that they've gotten so desperate that they had to resort to dog food and didn't want his son eating that? I found that whole exchange a bit weird.

Not weird at all, Rick just hated seeing how desperate they are.

Lori is a selfish bitch and I'm happy Rick is treating her like dirt. Just on her parenting skills alone, she never looked after Carl. She never knew where he was!!!

I loved the scene in the prison yard when Lori wants to talk to Rick about things..WTF..not exactly the time for a heart to heart talk. Like Rick doesn't have more pressing issues at hand.

Posted Image

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just on her parenting skills alone, she never looked after Carl. She never knew where he was!!!

Neither did Rick. They are both crappy parents. But yeah, Lori did far less at the farm, so it was more her responsibility. On the other hand, Andrea's comment that maybe Rick should stop leaving the farm so crap quits happening was accurate.

I loved the scene in the prison yard when Lori wants to talk to Rick about things..WTF..not exactly the time for a heart to heart talk. Like Rick doesn't have more pressing issues at hand.

I'm sure for the past 7 months there has been an hour here and there to talk about things..but it looks like Rick has been pushing her away all winter. I guess you took Rick's "I'm doing stuff, Lori. THINGS." seriously. :lol:

chowfun

chowfun

Infected

• Members
  • 85 posts

I had to stop lurking just to mention the talk Rick and Shane had in season one. It sounded to me like a possible affair was already going on between Lori and Shane early on. Rick's death was probably just what she needed (at the time) to make her mind up since things were obviously sour in their relationship.

Seriously, that conversation ties it all together for me on this topic.

I have thought that before the ZA Shane and Lori were bumping uglies. I mean 6-7 months had passed but yet Lori is like 9 months pregnant. That would mean she was around 2-3 months pregnant when she found out on the farm right? I would assume that means while Rick was in a coma or right after the ZA started Shane and Lori were having fun. I can totally see Shane at Rick's house 24/7 after Rick was in a coma. He had a close relationship with the family and probably assumed a lot of Rick's old duties, which include shacking up with Lori.

Also the heavy strain on their marriage prior to the shooting led me to believe the love on Lori's part was fading. She looked fed up and it subconsciously seemed like she didn't want to be in the relationship so she lashed out unnecessarily at Rick. I also think Shane was her easy escape goat and the easiest person to have an affair with. He was always there. She probably was sexually attracted to him, and he is the total opposite of Rick.

I don't have sympathy for Lori, but I can see what she did and understand why she did it, even though I do not agree. It seemed the only reason she probably did not want to leave Rick was because of the emotional, physical, and economic stress it would cause her and her son. She was comfortable in her life just not with Rick. He was the safe man to marry, but not the man for her.

Once we find out he is alive, Lori probably felt guilty because this man loves her more than she can love him and traveled far to be reunited with her and Carl. The guilt caused her to isolate her feelings for Shane humiliate, and emotionally hinder him; it caused her to put the two men against each other. Now i'm not saying that Lori was Shane's ticket to demise, but she played a nice role. I think in season 3 she is realizing the stuff she has done as if it hit her like a ton of bricks. I honestly think that Lori didn't know what or who she wanted to be with. She wanted both men for different reasons.

I believe if the ZA didn't happen, Lori and Shane would be having one of those on going affairs behind Rick's back. I also think with the way Shane was portrayed before ZA he was a womanizer and felt gratification in pleasing women or begin their object of desire. So therefore, I don't see him falling in love with Lori even if they were bumping uglies while Rick was in a coma, until the world went to crap and realized he had no one without them.

Edited by chowfun, 17 October 2012 - 01:40 PM.

Luv2readt.

Luv2readt.

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 155 posts
My take on Rick's coldness to Lori is his failure to deal with the fallout from Shane's death. He didn't kill Shane because he was jealous about the affair, he killed him because Shane was now the mayor of Crazy Town and was going to kill Rick. Lori was right to warn Rick about Shane. Rick has always closed himself off from Lori, that was part of the talk between Rick and Shane in the show premiere. Rick went on a strange rant in front of the crew (last show of last season) in which he raved that he had killed his best friend for them. Dr. Phil isn't going to make a house call to the prison, so Rick is going to have to help himself. "Is it working for you, Rick".
I think he is now blaming Lori for too much. She did do the nasty with Shane, but as soon as Rick came back, she immediately ended that. She sided with Rick on issues that she didn't agree with, she warned him about Shane, and while no nominee for Mother of the Year she loves Carl. (no mean feat that).
Rick has taken the role of leader as he must, but resenting Lori for making him kill Shane is unfair. Shane even confessed about what happened to Otis to Rick. Didn't Rick recognize that Shane would justify his murder of Rick in much the same way?
Can't help it, I feel sorry for Lori. My advice to Rick-Life sucks but you have to deal with it. Recognize that you loved Lori when you knew that she had been unfaithful, so why blame her now? Why treat her so coldly when she is carrying your baby? Rick laid claim to the child before they left the farm. Rick wanted her to have the baby, now he is resenting her and the child.
He has a lot to deal with but he isn't the one who will have to go through childbirth in the ZA.

Edited by Luv2readt., 17 October 2012 - 01:51 PM.

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • 595 posts

My take on Rick's coldness to Lori is his failure to deal with the fallout from Shane's death. He didn't kill Shane because he was jealous about the affair, he killed him because Shane was now the mayor of Crazy Town and was going to kill Rick. Lori was right to warn Rick about Shane. Rick has always closed himself off from Lori, that was part of the talk between Rick and Shane in the show premiere. Rick went on a strange rant in front of the crew (last show of last season) in which he raved that he had killed his best friend for them. Dr. Phil isn't going to make a house call to the prison, so Rick is going to have to help himself. "Is it working for you, Rick".
I think he is now blaming Lori for too much. She did do the nasty with Shane, but as soon as Rick came back, she immediately ended that. She sided with Rick on issues that she didn't agree with, she warned him about Shane, and while no nominee for Mother of the Year she loves Carl. (no mean feat that).
Rick has taken the role of leader as he must, but resenting Lori for making him kill Shane is unfair. Shane even confessed about what happened to Otis to Rick. Didn't Rick recognize that Shane would justify his murder of Rick in much the same way?
Can't help it, I feel sorry for Lori. My advice to Rick-Life sucks but you have to deal with it. Recognize that you loved Lori when you knew that she had been unfaithful, so why blame her now? Why treat her so coldly when she is carrying your baby? Rick laid claim to the child before they left the farm. Rick wanted her to have the baby, now he is resenting her and the child.
He has a lot to deal with but he isn't the one who will have to go through childbirth in the ZA.

She didn't just warn Rick of Shane as a potential threat, she basically hinted that Shane would need to go---or Rick would be killed himself.

And then when Rick revealed the fact that he did kill Shane to protect himself and his family (like he thought Lori wanted). And what does she do? Show support? Gratitude? No, she pulled away in disgust and made it obvious that she had feelings for Shane all along.

I don't blame Lori for being confused, or having conflicting feelings. Thats natural, especially given the circumstances. But to say Rick is being unfair to her--is ridiculous in my opinion. He has and still is keeping her, their son, and a baby that may or may not be his safe. Putting them above himself at all times. I don't understand how Rick is being unfair?

Edited by babyMOMMAdrama, 17 October 2012 - 02:21 PM.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,399 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers

She didn't just warn Rick of Shane as a potential threat, she basically hinted that Shane would need to go---or Rick would be killed himself.

And then when Rick revealed the fact that he did kill Shane to protect himself and his family (like he thought Lori wanted). And what does she do? Show support? Gratitude? No, she pulled away in disgust and made it obvious that she had feelings for Shane all along.

I don't blame Lori for being confused, or having conflicting feelings. Thats natural, especially given the circumstances. But to say Rick is being unfair to her--is ridiculous in my opinion. He has and still is keeping her, their son, and a baby that may or may not be his safe. Putting them above himself at all times. I don't understand how Rick is being unfair?

I know a lot of people interpreted the scene that way, but I don't think Lori did anything more than warn Rick. I think she thought Rick would straighten Shane out, like he attempted to in 18 Miles Out ("my wife, my child"), but Shane would not step back.

Lori was shocked when Rick told her about Shane, but didn't really react until he mentioned that Carl was the one to put Walker Shane down. I think it was a blow and a wake up call that she's lost her little boy to this horrible world, and she was probably wondering what kind of man Rick had become - I think he basically said that he wanted to kill Shane.

I'm not saying that she didn't have feelings for Shane - I think she probably did - but there was a whole lot going on in that scene.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!