The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 1 Review

season 3 seed review poll

The Walking Dead 301- SEED Rate And Review (192 )

Overall, what did you think of tonights episode?

1. Excellent (146 [76.04%] - )

76.04%

2. Good - Some Critiques (40 [20.83%] - )

20.83%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (4 [2.08%] - )

2.08%

4. Poor (2 [1.04%] - )

1.04%

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Not enough Andrea.

The flirting scene with Daryl and Carol made me feel unholy.

Yeah that was a bit awkward...

pat5800

pat5800

S-mart Employee

• Members
Spoiler

Check out my Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.c...bc?feature=mhee

Kevin

Kevin

Infected

• Members

Does anyone know what Daryl killing the owl and plucking it's feathers may have symbolized?

"Damn i'm starvin'... Anyone want a leg or a wing???"

OutLawd

OutLawd

Roamer

• Members
I also think the prison arc will last till next year. I'm thinking machonne and Andrea come back explaining fucked up shit in Woodbury. Season 4 will be the war

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

I think the Carl/Beth angle is a good analogue for some events in the comic. I was thinking to myself also earlier today that with Chandler Riggs already being 13, he's going to grow up a lot faster on the show than in the book. Having Beth around would definately be more an age appropriate relationship.

And risking sounding like Gul Madred (and an uber nerd), but tell me, do you see 5 prisoners?

I counted 5. I hope Tyreese is one of them.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

What else I noticed is how would the riot gear zombies be able to kill you? That can't bite you because of the masks and they can't scratch because of the gloves

If their helmets are buckled on correctly it would be hard for them to bite if they attacked someone agile enough to dodge them. They may be slightly harder to kill but I believe that would be cancelled out by the awkwardness of their bite and decreased hand dexterity while wearing thick gloves.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

OutLawd

OutLawd

Roamer

• Members
Tyrease in the jail makes sense cuz it would cut out the bs storyline of his daughter and bf. also in the previews before the season the scene where Rick says this is our prison(to whoever) there a black guy behind Rick.NOT t-dog.....

bournesto33

bournesto33

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationtexas
Epic eps like a previous post, they covered more in one eps than all of season 2...only gripe was Rick being a douche, i mean fine you have every reason to be mad, but you had all of the second half of season two to do that

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
Amazeballs!

I thought Carol and Daryl's exchange was funny.
Daryl: "I'll go down first"
Carol: "Even Better"
I love the more confident Carol.

I also loved that Maggie was the first to figure out how to kill Riot Gear Walkers.

The prison was definitely creepy. Super tense.

And Holy Shit! Hershel! They are definitely not holding back.

limaro

limaro

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio, US
Loved it! That first few minutes with no dialog was really well done. The group clearing that house, like a well oiled machine.

So much growth since last season. It may just be my overwhelming joy at the return of this show making me feel generous and forgiving but... I'm wiping my slate clean and giving Carol and Lori a chance to win me over. Carol seems to have found a personality somewhere on the side of the road. And I felt a little sorry for Lori. Don't make me regret this ladies!

And Carl! Cute little guy type crush on Beth, but still killing walkers and "taking 15 on point" and mixing it up. I'll be personally pissed and affronted by anyone trying to tell him to stay in his cell!

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
― Stephen King, The Stand

WalkerBaitress

WalkerBaitress

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationTampa-area, FL

Is it me, or was it said kind of jokingly -- like haha, as if.

Yeah. :) In fact, I thought it was very cute, like the two had become old friends and were riffing on each other. Seems like Carol's really come into her own in the past few months and has grown a thicker skin. :)
"Stick them with the pointy end." Arya Stark, Game of Thrones

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

Does anyone know what Daryl killing the owl and plucking it's feathers may have symbolized?

To me it means Daryl must be part Cajun. No insult intended, but they will eat anything! :lol:

kxwjZFU.png

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Yup, since season 1

I hope the man with the curvy moustache wasn't axel..

Oh dude he reminded me of that magician that always wore rainbow shirts and susspenders...cant remmember his name....arg!

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

For some reason I was expecting this to be a two hour or at least a 90 minute long season opener, guess not. After "holy shit" that was it... then I sat around through the usual B.S. commercials and ah okay ... wait, what? Showing the same episode again? HUH?

Pacing was good and effects were top-notch as always. Pretty cool on the gas-mask walker, yeah I'll say that got a visceral reaction out of me.
No explanation as to what was wrong with Andrea, just that she was weak, sick but not what was wrong or anything. Michonne ... definitely not enough screen time (yet).
I wouldn't have killed an owl, no matter how hungry I was, if I'm superstitious in anyway it's about killing owls.
Anyway, it all seemed a bit rushed but then an hour long episode does explain that.
Lori seems to be trying.
Carl... turning into a bad assed little kid. But with him and Beth hooking up... uh. Schoolboy crush is all I can say about it and older teenage indulgence on her part.
Nice bonding on Glenn and Maggie.

'

I expected a longer ep. as well. That is my one and only criticism of the show. We needed to see more Michonne/ Andrea. Maybe little more background on what those two had been up to, little more character development... something. I don't know.

As for the Carl/ Beth thing, well.. Emily Kinney is getting harder to pass off as a teenager, IMO. She's a smokin' hot twenty- something and it's gettin' hard to hide it lol.

I think the age gap is supposed to be something like three or four years on the show- in real life it's probably more like a decade and frankly, I think it shows.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.
Theyve obviously revamped the prisoners , with their cute little disney enterance where they all poke out at the same time. That really bummed me out

Also can anyone tell me what Andrea was rambling about? She sounded like a withering old geriatric.
     “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.”

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

the episode was better than I expected and I expected a great one. In addition to the massive Zombie slaughter we found out a few little things which I am sure they will elaborate on in future episodes
Lori seems very contrite whether its because she put so much blame on Rick, slept with Shane or inadvertently caused Rick to kill Shane , I dont know. I'm glad they diddnt show Carol as an expert with a rifle, shes still learning and was she flirting or just joking with Daryl? Por Carl seemed to have wanted to bunk with Beth but big Daddy put a stop to it. I had a thread last season about none of the characters getting ill, well looks like Andrea caught a bug of some sort, lucky Mich. is with her. So much to discuss almost all these points and more could have a thread of their own.. very satisfied viewer rating A+ :zombiethumbsup:
Oh and poor Hershel his days are probably numbered.

I think Lori's contriteness may be due to
Spoiler

I am also glad they showed Lori concerned about the many possible outcomes of her pregnancy. I think any woman in her situation would be.

For the record, I loathe the idea of Tyreese as a prisoner.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

OooDarylooO

OooDarylooO

Infected

• Members
Awesome!!!!! Lori wasn't nearly as insufferable as last season- hope it lasts. Maggie has turned into the new Andrea without the bad attitude- and Carl has turned into a little badass:) Soo sad about Hershel (who is looking a lot like Santa these days) hope he pulls through- he's one of my faves... I wish we would have gotten to see what happened during the winter- I was so curious to see whether it affected the walkers at all.. Anywho.. Soo much better than i was expecting!!!!

brain baker

brain baker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationcuffed to a roof

Someone will never know they got into Hogwarts?

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
I absolutely loved the episode.

I took the Daryl/Carol flirting as purely entertainment. She laughed so naturally afterwards, and she broke the ice by being the first to laugh. I think if she was interested in him they would have hinted at it. I think Carol is smart enough to know not to get romantically attached to someone at this point. She relies on Daryl but I don't think she really wants anything with him.

I really like the Beth/Carl friendship but I don't want it to become romantic. Isn't he like 10 years old? I think it'd be cute if he had a little crush on her, and she viewed him as a younger brother, but I don't want it to be some 'young love.'

For once I found Lori tolerable and was SLIGHTLY, I repeat slightly annoyed at Rick. I understand that he is upset with the idea that it might not be his baby, but she is pregnant and he needs to realize that. He is doing everything he can physically for her, but being there emotionally for her is more important, especially so late into her pregnancy.

One interesting thing I heard Lori say during her speech to Herschel was "My son can't stand me." Since when have Carl/Lori not had a good relationship? They seemed okay in season 2, so I wonder if something happened over the winter months that we have yet to find out.

I agree with everyone saying Michonne and Andrea have not had enough screentime. I need more of these two ladies.

Finally, how many prisoners were there? Was there a female prisoner in there as well, or am I imagining things?

Overall, GREAT episode.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Ifigue he just saw it as a food source and they hadnt eaten in a while which is why Carl went for the dog food. I just wondered why the walkers diddnt eat the Owl??

WalkerBaitress

WalkerBaitress

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationTampa-area, FL

Spoiler

Agreed. The two comments you made above were my only issues with the ep. I understand why it had to be done, but in an ideal world, I wish there weren't that long of a time jump, because it would've been nice to see just how the group had become that cohesive, after having been so drastically broken at the end of the last season.

And I along with you think we needed more Michonne/Andrea time. :) Michonne simply RULES, plus I wanted to see more interaction between the two characters and how their friendship had formed over the time that had passed. Were it that AMC had greenlighted a 90-minute ep. LOL
"Stick them with the pointy end." Arya Stark, Game of Thrones

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

Someone will never know they got into Hogwarts?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kxwjZFU.png

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Theyve obviously revamped the prisoners , with their cute little disney enterance where they all poke out at the same time. That really bummed me out

Also can anyone tell me what Andrea was rambling about? She sounded like a withering old geriatric.

'
My impression was that she had flu symptoms (other than the ZA virus ,the traditional bugs still exist).

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

I think Lori's contriteness may be due to

Spoiler

I am also glad they showed Lori concerned about the many possible outcomes of her pregnancy. I think any woman in her situation would be.

For the record, I loathe the idea of Tyreese as a prisoner.

Well if the new 5th prisoner, not in the comics is actually called "Big Tiny" (really?) we won't have to worry about it.

mdearth70

mdearth70

S-mart Employee

• Members
One of the best episodes yet! Not better than the Pilot of course but it probably ranks number 2 or 3 in my books. 9.5/10! It was freaking awesome!

I really loved the Andrea and Michonne moments. I'm happy that they focused more on the prison as it didn't make the episode choppy. This gives the other story lines a chance to flesh out a little more. We know Michonne and Andrea are alive, Andrea's sick, and they have formed a bond based on their exchanges. There's no need to elaborate on it, we still have a few more episodes to do that.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!