- - - - - Riding The Rails

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
Chapter 4
Riding The Rails

Jacob stood waiting patiently, thumbs tucked in the pockets of his coveralls, hands still in sight. Nasif started walking back to the engine, shaking his head. I looked towards the other cars on the tracks behind the engine. A few people were outside the passenger car, either on the tracks or hanging out the windows. A couple had rifles in their hands, but they weren't pointed at us. I didn't worry too much about them. If there was going to be trouble, it would've started long before now. Bud was already back in the rail-truck and had the engine running to move it when given the signal. Maggie was holding my hand as we walked, grinning broadly. James paced along side his mother, his eyes darting every which way. He looked excited.
Maggie spoke up, “Looks like you've got some passengers.” Jacob chuckled and turned to the engine to signal Nasif. The giant diesel engine roared to life to a near deafening volume. Bud moved the rail truck up the track about a hundred yards and waited. The diesel's horn honked once and the folks that were on the tracks, scrambled to get back aboard or move out of the way. The engine rumbled as it rolled slowly past us. Standing up close, these things showed their power better than anything else I knew of. Once they got rolling, trains were awfully damned hard to stop. We watched alongside Jacob who held his hand out ready to signal the driver, Nasif to stop.
When the car-carrier approached the crossing Jacob signaled and the train stopped, just as the rear end of the carrier reached the far edge of the crossing. An impressive display of handling the engine. Up ahead I could see that the engine was only a few feet from the rail-truck. These guys had it down to a science. I learned later that the three that we've met so far had worked together as a team for several years prior to the outbreak. Jacob stood by as two men from one of the freight cars got out and ran up to us. They were unimpressive specimens, but none the less at Jacob's direction they went to the rear of the car-carrier and climbed up either side. They were dressed in day to day clothing, but sported thick gloves and heavy boots. We watched as they pulled pins and holding on to a strap located near the top with one hand and a length of chain with the other and lowered down what we saw to be ramps.
Jacob explained. “Those guys hopped on board during the outbreak of the plague, they've been with us ever since. Couple of drifters, we call 'em Ike and Mike because they refuse to give us their names. I kind of suspect they either busted out of jail or were just tramps looking for a way out of the city when the shi...crap hit the fan.” He blushed at his slip of the tongue. Maggie laughed aloud, “it's alright, you can say shit. My boy wouldn't have heard you and he cusses worse than that, though I've been trying to get him to clean up before he ends up being a regular trash mouth.” Jacob chuckled and continued his talk.
“They pay their way with us by doing the heavy work, loading up supplies or in this case your vehicle, they're good guys and tend to stay in the box car. Somehow they don't feel comfortable riding in the passenger car with the other folk.” He turned to us, “you three will bring us all up to about 16
altogether. Not a lot but then along the rails we haven't seen a lot of people.” He took off his cap and wiped his brow with a bandanna that he pulled from one of his pockets. Placing the cap back on his head and bandanna in the same pocket he carried on. “Once those ramps are down you just line up the truck wheels and drive it on up and we'll do the rest. Your things will be safe,” nodding to the truck. Since I see you put a tarp over it all, at least none of it will get wet.” He looked me in the eyes and his face serious, “I can assure you that none of your things will be touched by any of us. What you choose to give us by way of payment for riding our train is up to you. We're not greedy,” he grinned a little, “but we ain't cheap. We'll talk about what you have to offer and we'll let you know how far you can get. I can promise this however, you'll get a good-night's sleep as we travel. We can do about 150 miles running at the speed that we go. But I'll explain more about that later on board.” He turned and studied the two men still waiting at the top of the frame work of the carrier. From the relaxed positions they had, they looked like they could've stayed up there for hours.
I stuck out my hand and waited for Jacob to shake it. “We appreciate this, and we'll show you just how much we are.” I reached out and squeezed Maggie's hand in a grip that told her I felt we would be alright. She squeezed back in agreement. I let go of her hand and went back to the truck, got in and started up the engine. It took a little bit of maneuvering to line up the truck wheels with the ramps, but thanks to Jacob standing between them and giving hand signals I was able to get the front wheels on before he moved out of the way. The back tires spun a bit on the rubber mat that made part of the crossing before I moved forward. One of the men climbed down and worked his way through the frame work to stand at the rear of a car that was already loaded. Following his hand signals I was able to get the truck up the ramp and on to one of the empty spaces in the back. Once I put it in park, the man I later found to be called Ike ducked down and I heard the rattle of chains as he hooked up the frame to the ramp. He popped up a moment later and moved around the passenger side, passing the open window without saying a word. In the rear-view mirror I watched him reach the tailgate and bent down out of sight again, the sound of another chain being hooked up could be heard. Ike popped up again and rapped his knuckles on the tail-gate indicating that I could get out. I leaned over to the passenger side window and rolled it up by hand, then pushed the door-lock down. Not that I didn't trust these guys, it was simply, I didn't trust them. The stuff hiding under the tarp would have to take their chances of not being lifted while we were out of sight in the passenger car.
Rolling up the driver's window and getting out then locking the door I made sure I had the keys before shutting it. “Ok,” addressing Ike, “now what?” Ike looked at me and pointed to the rest of the train without saying a word. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Mike had already started pulling up his ramp. Ike turned and started climbing the frame work and soon had his ramp up and locked in. When they were done they nodded to each other and climbed down and walked back to the freight car and climbed in. Neither men said a single word. I worked my way to the part of the pick up bed and moved the tarp out of the way to lift my pack up and out and shouldered it with one strap. Thankfully the small duffel bag that contained clothes for James and Maggie was resting next to my pack and I pulled that out as well and placed it on the ramp by my feet. Tucking the tarp back over everything else I took a mental picture of how things looked, picked up the small duffel and worked my way off the carrier.
I saw that Jacob was already leading Maggie and James to the rear most passenger car and the three of them stood by the step waiting for me to catch up. I took my time walking up to them. Even taking a moment to glance inside the open door of the box car to see Ike and Mike already seated on a pair of folding camp chairs and having a smoke. If they saw me they didn't acknowledge me. It was as if nobody else existed for them. I felt that they would have an interesting story to tell. Provided that they were inclined to tell it. Either way, I felt no immediate threat from them.
I caught up with the others and saw that James' face was alight with excitement as any boy his age would be at the prospect of riding a train. I signed “ready go?” He nodded eagerly and started climbing up the step. Jacob laughed, “I think we're going to have a hard time getting him off the train now.” Maggie giggled and climbed up after her son. Jacob held out his hand inviting me to follow. I waited until Maggie was out of sight and gave the man a look. “Presumably, we can keep our weapons on us?” The man stopped smiling and nodded. “Of course, the only thing we ask is keep the safeties on and only use them on the dead things if need be. They won't be a problem unless we stop somewhere and call attention to us. Everyone else on board is armed in someway or another, except for the old couple.” He paused then “We're all good people. Not like those bastards that rob and murder. We just want to live to see the next day and the day after that.” I nodded and resisted the desire to shake his hand again. Sometimes you just have to take someone at their word.
I repositioned my pack on my shoulder so it wouldn't slide off as I boarded the train. The duffel I tossed up to the highest step and climbed on aboard. Once at the top step I turned and saw Jacob waving to someone up front. The horn honked once in response and with a jerk the train began to move. Jacob climbed aboard easily and hung out for a moment looking up and down the length of the train before moving inside. He saw me standing watching and shrugged, “stupid me, forgot my radio in the truck.” He held his hand out again to show the way.
Walking inside the passenger car I could see Maggie and James waiting for me. Well actually James was looking out one of the windows, watching the world go past and building up speed. He was holding on to his mother's hand and wearing a big smile. We reached them and Jacob invited us to the next car ahead. Along the way he stopped at one of the rows of seats where an elderly couple were seated together, holding hands and watching us with smiles. “This is Bob and Sharon Wilkerson. They joined us early on and been with us ever since.”
Both of them nodded and shook hands with Maggie and myself. Sharon commented on how handsome James was. When Maggie translated he actually blushed. Bob used to be an accountant and Sharon an elementary school teacher. Both had been caught in for several hours in traffic at a railroad crossing when Jacob's train came by. Their car was being swarmed by several zombies trying to get at them. By the time the train came to a stop, one of the zombies had managed to shatter the front windshield and was busily trying to claw it's way inside. Ike and Mike jumped out of their boxcar and dispatched the zombies and helped the two get aboard the train. Jacob affectionately teased the two for adopting their saviors. After some small talk and Jacob checking on “if they needed anything”, they didn't, we continued forward to the next car where the other survivors were seated.
The engineer guided us up a flight of narrow stairs and we found ourselves in a dining car. Prior to the apocalypse, a large plexiglass roof-dome gave passengers a large view as they had dinner. Now it was just another relatively safe haven. There were small holes in the plexiglass, made me wonder at first if they were bullet holes but as we walked past them I could see that they were larger and had clear tape around them. I had a sudden insight and didn't realize that I spoke aloud. “Gun ports.” Jacob stopped and turned, there was a smile on his face. “Very good, Mr. Handle. That's indeed what they are. Useless if we're moving but while we load up or have to stop and look for fuel at least there's the so-called high-ground advantage and when the car entry doors are locked up tight we're a formidable fortress if you will.” The other passengers sat quietly and Jacob seem to decide where we were was a good a place as any, to make introductions.
“Everyone,” he announced in a strong voice, “these folks are going to be joining us for a while. They've brought weapons and they'll be a helpful addition to our ... train of survivors. Please make them feel at home. Introduce yourselves and uh, Jack?” I turned my head to see who he was addressing. It was a man about my age sitting alone by one of the windows. A large caliber hunting rifle lain on the table in front of him with, of all things, a lap-top computer. From where I could see he had a solar battery charger hooked up and the cells were facing the glass. Jack stared hard at us and then closed his lap-top as if to hide whatever it was he was doing with it. The man's face was beardless and thus the scowl he wore on it was clearly evident. He wore a dress-shirt opened at the collar and I had the impression that his former life was that of a office worker or manager of sorts.
At his name he jerked his head up to indicate that he was listening. “Show these folks around if you don't mind. I gotta get back up front and relieve Nasif, he's been driving since this morning and is due for a break.” Addressing us, “You folks make yourself comfortable and I'll be back in a couple of hours to discuss the trade we've talked about.” Without another word Jacob turned and walked forward to the stairwell leading down to the end of the car.
The next few moments were filled with an awkward silence and a woman spoke up from behind us. Maggie and I turned but James kept looking at Jack. Apparently the kid didn't like the scowl on his face. “I'm Mary, Mary Shultzman. We're glad you're aboard.” She held out her hand to Maggie first and shook it. The woman was of stocky build and had a pleasant smile. She wore a short-sleeved sun dress of faded yellow. Her arms bore thin scars as if from scratches. On her left hand was a gold band on the third finger. On the table where she sat was also a hunting rifle, I guessed it to be a .227. At least these folks were capable of fending off and caring for themselves.
Mary smiled and nodded over to Jack and spoke as if he couldn't hear us. “Never mind him, he used to be a stock broker, he's just bitter that all his investments won't pay off.”
“What about yourself” Maggie asked amiably enough.
“I used to be a single mom, at least before all of this happened.” Her smile faltered just a moment but renewed itself even more brilliantly than before. She nodded towards James, who was still watching the world go by outside the large windows. “I see your boy made it through alright.” Something in the tone of her voice grabbed my attention, made me look into her eyes and not like what I saw there. She kept her smile however but it was about as real as a politician at the end of their losing re-election campaign.
If Maggie caught it she didn't let on. “Yes, he's a survivor alright. It was a miracle that we found each other like we did.” If the woman had long ears they'd perked up from the sudden interest she now held in the other woman. “Sounds like a story worth telling.” She eyed Jack from her seat. “Perhaps later, after Jack shows you around like he was asked.” We turned to see the man closing his lap-top and getting out of his seat. He leaned over to ensure the solar charger connected to the laptop's battery, was pointed in the best sun that he could get. He left his rifle on the table as he moved towards us. “Well, the man asked me to show you around, so lets get that out of the way, shall we?” Nothing in his attitude said it was going to be a pleasant tour. There was something more going on here than meets the eye. I put on my best face none the less. “After you then.”
Jack turned around, “Follow me then.” Maggie tapped James on the shoulder and signed to him. “We go look around train, we need learn everything we can.” There was a look on her face that said not to argue. The boy nodded and fell in step along side his mother. I took up the rear of our little procession. At the end of the car Jack turned and held his arms out. This of course is our dining car and the kitchen is below us.” Without another word he turned and went down the stairwell. His whole being said that he would rather be back at his laptop and not disturbed. I had a feeling that asking him to temporarily borrow his machine would be a bad idea. Still it might be worth a try. I shelved the idea until after our “tour.”
We followed our reluctant tour guide down the stair well and spied the elderly couple still seated together, but fast asleep with their heads nestled into pillows, and covered in a large blanket. “This is normally the coach section of the car.” Jack's voice spoke without any consideration of being quiet for the couple seated asleep in their places. It didn't matter, as they didn't wake. I was really starting not to like this guy.
“That way leads to the box car which holds most of our stuff and where the twins tend to stay. They almost never come in here, except to get food or to pass through to get to the engine.” He jerked a thumb behind him, “this way leads to the sleeping cars.” Then moved to the door that separated the cars. The noise was loud as he opened the door and stepped through it. There was no accordion connecting the two cars but a walkway with railings on either side allowed the crossing easy enough for us to enter the next car. Jack stopped in the middle and turned to shout at me, “Close the door behind you.” Then without checking to see if I did or not he opened the next one. Once inside he moved in far enough to make sure all of us were inside and then nodded at me and the door. I closed it and had to fight from letting my face betray the irritation at the rudeness of the man showing us around.
In a tired voice he continued his tour of the train, “this is the sleeping car. There's enough empty compartments for all of us, just find one that isn't occupied and help yourself. Each room sleeps four people.” He watched as Maggie translated for her son. He spoke to himself without caring if we heard or how it might make us feel. “That's gotta be a pain in the ass.” Then turned and continued forward into the hallway. Maggie turned to me with a surprised look on her face. I held up my hand quickly to forestall any protest that she might have and made an L shape pointing up and then arced my hand down at the wrist until it pointed at the floor, basically saying “later.” James' response was more succinct as he signed “asshole” and pointed at Jack's back. The man turned around at the end of the car, “Well, you coming or not? We're going to the kitchen.” then walked out the door leaving it open. “C'mon lets go, the sooner we're shed of the guy the better.”
In the next car was indeed the kitchen. Jack pointed various items as he passed without stopping. “The reefer, freezer the stove, storage, storage, ovens, more storage, another reefer, with freezer and more storage. Everything works as long as we got power from the engine. If you got any food that could use cold storage you can use the reefers, just put your name on 'em.” He stopped at the of the car and put his hand on the door handle and waited for us to catch up. When we did he didn't open the door. “Next is the engine pulling this train. If you want to go look then be my guest, just use the catwalk along either side. That's the end of the tour, have a nice day.” Without another word he moved through us and walked briskly back the way we came.
We waited until he was out of the car and into the next one before speaking. James was the first to voice his opinion. “Asthole” Maggie put her hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze and enunciated slowly, Assss-hole” James grinned and tried once more, “asssthole” he repeated. Maggie laughed and signed while speaking, “there's no T in the word hunny. Try again, assss-hole” James tried again and this time was successful in leaving out the “t”. Maggie gave him a hug and held him as she watched me.
“I have to agree with him. But Mary is the one who throws up a red-flag.” Maggie's smile fell and she broke away from James and asked “why? She seems friendly enough.” I nodded in agreement, “yeah she is but there was something in her voice when she referred to James, I didn't like it. Remember how she said she “used to be” a single mother?” Maggie nodded, but before she could reply the door we were standing next to opened. It was Nasif. He looked surprised to see us there and for a moment didn't know what to do. I quickly explained.
“Jacob asked Jack to show us around. Seems that the guided tour stopped here. We were about to go out and have a look at the engine and....” I faded off as I saw the look Maggie and Nasif were giving each other. Almost as if they were trying to remember if they had met before. Nasif was the first to break it off and gently shouldered his way through us. He turned and pointed towards the engine, “If you wish to see the engine, just be careful on the catwalk and use the railings.” He then continued on his way through. I turned to Maggie who was staring after the man. James was equally puzzled. “Mom?”
Maggie watched as the arab walked through the door at the end of the car and glanced at her for a moment before shutting the door. She remained silent and then noticed that we were watching her expectantly. “I'm sorry, it's just, he ... looks familiar, like I've seen a picture of him somewhere.” She trailed off, lost in memory. Then shook her head. “Never mind. Hey, lets go see how they drive this train okay?” James nodded happily and moved to the door and opened it. The noise of the engine and the wind overwhelmed us as we stepped out on the catwalk.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

xHan

xHan

S-mart Employee

• Members
Damn

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay
I'm liking the train ride already. The mysterious lady, and the weird investor, and Maggies thoughts on Nasif.
Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!