- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

JerryLew12

JerryLew12

Lurker

• Members
  • 104 posts
As my first post on here I want to discuss something i watched over and over again on season 1, that i think is not getting the attention it deserves.

At the end of EP1, Rick hears and see's a helicopter. Now i have read the comics and am up to issue 78, so i think that is self explanatory for anyone who has read as much as me as to WHY im talking about the helicopter.

Do you think it was real in this case, or was morales right in suggjesting rick was seeing things that were not there?

DayWalker

DayWalker

Survivor

• Members
  • 583 posts
I think it was real. Not only did Rick see and hear the helicopter, but the camera focused on it as well, which tells me the helo was not in his head but there for us to see as well.

The Reaper

The Reaper

_|_o.O_|_

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationToronto
It was real but I can also say that it did not sound civilian I believe it is a HH-60 they have that unique "thump-thump" sound,it could be a Blackhawk as well.

National Guard use these for SAR operations.If you don't want to watch the whole video you can skip to 2:40 where you get to hear the awesomeness that is the HH-60.

While it is possible that it is a civilian pilot,I just have my doubts.The Biggest being if your one pilot all alone what in gods name are you flying a helo around for it's not as if you can render aid to anyone.

Posted Image
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition
that's troublesome.

JerryLew12

JerryLew12

Lurker

• Members
  • 104 posts
Im just wondering why they never brought it up again in season 1. You would think its kind of a big deal seeing shane was bent on waiting for military rescue lol,

The Reaper

The Reaper

_|_o.O_|_

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationToronto
Everyone assumes Jenner whispered shes prego I believe it has something to do with the helo,Rick looked scared shocked not angry not happy scared.

Also a military wing operating w/o a direct chain of command is no military its a dictatorship,when Darabont says "you will be shocked by what Jenner said" to me thats not that shes pregnant,a functioning military hierarchy with a stated goal ya that would be shocking.

"The Presidents Alive" now that would be shocking.
Posted Image
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition
that's troublesome.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Everyone assumes Jenner whispered shes prego I believe it has something to do with the helo, Rick looked scared shocked not angry not happy scared.

Also a military wing operating w/o a direct chain of command is no military its a dictatorship,when Darabont says "you will be shocked by what Jenner said" to me thats not that shes pregnant,a functioning military hierarchy with a stated goal ya that would be shocking.

"The Presidents Alive" now that would be shocking.

It wouldn't surprise me that the Prez is alive along with other heads of state... how about this for Oliver Stone ... they planned it all along for it to happen only it got out of control before they could contain it and cure it... weaponized viruses do exist ... some what like Stephen King's Stand, a gross mistake was made and there now, 99% of the population is wiped out. Which is why Jenner decided to "opt-out" and destroy the CDC center anyway... letting the fuel run out, so that all the other nasties don't infect the remaining 1% (and isn't THAT one ironic? :lol: ).

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

megazoid

megazoid

Infected

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Texas
I don't remember seeing the copter in episode 101. Just it's reflection in the mirror glass windows of a high rise. I think they saw Rick and saw the walker horde, around the corner, and said. 'Let's fly around this building, so the the dumb a** on the horsey will gallop right into this herd of walkers' !
You would think Glenn would've seen or heard the copter too, since he was on the same street, at the same time.

Lackadaisydukes

Lackadaisydukes

Infected

• Members
  • 7 posts
We don't really know where Glenn is/was when Rick saw the copter, with Glenn focussing on surviving, he may simple not have noticed it, like how when Rick and Glenn and even the others didn't notice it was going to rain just before they set out covered in zombie blood and guts. They were to focused on the task at hand to notice everything around them, even the important things.
It is odd that the copter was never really mentioned again.

aub71

aub71

Infected

• Members
  • 2 posts

Im just wondering why they never brought it up again in season 1. You would think its kind of a big deal seeing shane was bent on waiting for military rescue lol,

This has been something that has bothered me for some time now - enough for me to register here and post, lol. I didn't start watching the show until a few weeks ago when I picked up the first season on DVD. I've watched this scene a dozen times now at least and I can't believe that it really never came up again in S1. I've been waiting all of this season for it to be mentioned again but to no avail.

I think it was very real, that somewhere out there is enough of an organized group (with access to a chopper at least) to want to perform recon on Atlanta.

I haven't read the comics so I'm not sure of the significance that Jerry is referring to - but I'm not opposed to some spoilers though!

Maybe it was just another dangling plot line?

Brussell4

Brussell4

Infected

• Members
  • 15 posts
I think this has been a subject that has bothered everyone.

For one, they shot the scene cleverly in a way so that it could be either real or fake.
1. The only thing we get is a reflection (but it sounds a lot like a good ol' Huey, plus they're scattered everywhere).
2. The length of the reflection scene is short enough so that the movement of the helicopter could either be attributed to movement of the camera (and thus Rick) or the actual movement of the helicopter. In other words, they shot it so that they have license in the future to either say it was real or some trick in Rick's mind, if they even bring it back at all (which they probably will).

As someone else said in this post, it could have originally just been like that grenade: some seemingly insignificant event that is made to seem unimportant until later in the story. The only problem is that it didn't go down that way, because here we all are wondering about it, still. But I assume that was the original plan, and it just didn't pan out the way they wanted.

Or, perhaps it is the other way around and it is a seemingly monumental event that comes to have no meaning or no mention at all.

SPOILER:
I have only now started to read the comics (and only 2 so far), but from what I have heard, read and researched on the matter my best conclusion is that the helicopter has something to do with the Governor, something that has yet to enter the TV plot (if it ever will). As I did warn all those who don't know with a spoiler alert, I will go ahead and tell you about it..

Apparently, at some point in the original story, a new group of survivors is introduced into the plot, and they are basically a group in Woodbury, Georgia led by a crazy, cruel, militant, dictator-like man named the Governor. In the original story, there was no sighting of a helicopter in Atlanta, however a helicopter crashes further into the series (after leaving Herschel's farm and going to a prison) that eventually leads them to the Woodbury group (who owned and flew the helicopter). I am assuming that the scene in the tv show was shot to foreshadow the Governor plot, to make the story more interesting/confusing/mysterious and as a sort of bonus to those who know their original series business.

As for the whisper by Dr. Jennings, I have no idea where to even begin. Unfortunately there is no trip to the CDC in the OS, although I was glad that it was introduced into the television series because I found it to be the coolest, most interesting part. However, without the trip to the CDC, there is no Dr. Jennings and thus no whisper into Rick's ear. Yet for some reason those who have read the OS keep saying they know what he whispered, which makes no logical sense. But apparently, according to these people, he does whisper that Lori is pregnant.

The fact that the OS and the TV series are simultaneously alike and dissimilar is both frustrating and cool. On the one hand it keeps it from being completely predictable but on the other hand it can disappoint those who are expecting certain things to happen or not happen on the TV series. There are still people who are walking around alive in the TV series who died long ago in the OS, some who died on the tv series but not the OS and still others who don't even exist in the comics - and vice versa. So you never know what is going to happen next. For those who follow the comics, though, next they will be expecting the group to leave Glenn and his farm girl at the farm and head to a prison with Herschel and the rest of his family, followed by drama with surviving convicted murderers, as well as insane zombie pets and gladiatorial fights to the death at the wild Woodbury camp.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
I'm sure there would have been more on the copter sooner or later but with the exit of Darrabont all bets are off

Spoiler

For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!