- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Smile4me

Smile4me

Infected

• Members
  • 11 posts
As a born and raised southerner, I am so impressed by the realistic accents the actors use for their characters. Andrew Lincoln is so believable as Rick - especially for someone native to the UK. At times, I thought Maggie over did it a bit but basically was pretty good on her accent. Catol's lack if accent has me wondering about her upbringing. Shane is very realistic as well. Carl lacks a true accent. Herschel was good.

I have heard so many bad southern accents in movies and other shows. It's so good to finally hear someone have the real thing. It really adds to the quality if the show.

Now if they would just stop making everyone sweat do profusely!

Smile4me

Smile4me

Infected

• Members
  • 11 posts
Sorry for the typos. I'm on an iPhone and can't figure out how to edit. :(

WalkerBaitress

WalkerBaitress

Roamer

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationTampa-area, FL
Thinking maybe Carol's not a native to the South, which isn't an unrealistic possibility given that Atlanta is a huge urban center with lots of non-natives from anywhere but the South.

Come to think of it, the handful of friends I have in Atlanta are all from the North originally. Strange, that. LOL.
"Stick them with the pointy end." Arya Stark, Game of Thrones

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,559 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers

As a born and raised southerner, I am so impressed by the realistic accents the actors use for their characters. Andrew Lincoln is so believable as Rick - especially for someone native to the UK. At times, I thought Maggie over did it a bit but basically was pretty good on her accent. Catol's lack if accent has me wondering about her upbringing. Shane is very realistic as well. Carl lacks a true accent. Herschel was good.

I have heard so many bad southern accents in movies and other shows. It's so good to finally hear someone have the real thing. It really adds to the quality if the show.

Now if they would just stop making everyone sweat do profusely!

I've actually heard quite a bit of criticism of their accents. :lol: I think they are all pretty good, and sound believable. The biggest thing I notice is that they go in and out at times. Maggie's is pretty twangy, but I know people who talk like that - she actually sounds a bit like my friend from Arkansas. :P Hershel's is perfect, but Scott Wilson was born and raised in GA, iirc. He sounds very old south, like people I know from the Augusta area - it's soft and pleasant to listen to. Chandler Riggs (Carl) is from GA, and I believe Melissa McBride (Carol) has lived here for a number of years, as well. They both have more subtle accents, but you can hear them, imo.

zombiebanner-1.jpg

Smile4me

Smile4me

Infected

• Members
  • 11 posts
As with all regions, accents can vary from place to place. To me, Rick sounds just like he's from my neighborhood :). If the accents had been over the top, I never would have watched past the first episode.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys

I've actually heard quite a bit of criticism of their accents. :lol: I think they are all pretty good, and sound believable. The biggest thing I notice is that they go in and out at times. Maggie's is pretty twangy, but I know people who talk like that - she actually sounds a bit like my friend from Arkansas. :P Hershel's is perfect, but Scott Wilson was born and raised in GA, iirc. He sounds very old south, like people I know from the Augusta area - it's soft and pleasant to listen to. Chandler Riggs (Carl) is from GA, and I believe Melissa McBride (Carol) has lived here for a number of years, as well. They both have more subtle accents, but you can hear them, imo.

The accent Maggie uses is commonly called "country" where I live. Actually there is no such thing as a "Southern accent." I got interested four or five years ago after trying to read a book of short stories written in Gullah, which is a dialect spoken on islands off the coast of South Carolina and northern Georgia. If I remember right there are over two hundred regional dialects in the South and that doesn't count the transplants from Yankeeland who showed up in the past thirty years.

The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

Babs Bladdyblah

Babs Bladdyblah

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,006 posts
In Season 1, there were a couple of times that Rick sounded like Foghorn Leghorn. But he seems to have worked that out. I've always thought Maggie's accent sounds very good. Same with Hershel. Lori's accent was more prevalent in the first season. I think she's toned it down some for season 2.

And Shane... well, he just rocked his accent!! By far my favorite. Is there anything that man CANT do?
It's all daft. Daft like buggery, innit?

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

And Shane... well, he just rocked his accent!! By far my favorite. Is there anything that man CANT do?

Fangirl strikes again!Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image More facepalm here

And we can only imagine the Shrine.
Posted Image

Edited by backwoodsroamer, 13 June 2012 - 01:55 AM.

The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

chewygooey

chewygooey

Infected

• Members
  • 70 posts
i think the biggest challenge is for the english actors.

ricks southern accent is pretty good. i didnt know he was english until i heard him in an interview. then i started paying attention, and he does slip into it sometimes. when hes loud, and yelling ..thats when i tend to notice it more.

as much as i love maggie, her southern accent isnt that strong. i mean ive heard way worse, but you can hear the english accent mixed in there with the southern.almost constantly. its like theres a battle going on in there. but to her credit, i also had no idea she wasnt american until i heard her in an interview. now that i know , its pretty noticble though.

and yeah i think shane has the best FAKE accent on the series. kinda funny, but i expected him to sound like that all the time. thats how natural it sounds to me.

Edited by chewygooey, 13 June 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Goat

Goat

Roamer

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
As a southerner myself, I think Maggie's is horrendous and super fake. Rick's is usually okay, but once in a while he makes me cringe.
"Looks like God left the phone off the hook."
-- Cholo,
Land of the Dead

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
None of the accents are distracting to me. They all do a good job not overdoing it. If I picked a worst it would be Maggie.

For the most part, with television, movies etc. heavy Southern accents are disappearing. My grandchildren have hardly any trace of southern accent. I would probably be picked up as a southerner pretty quick, but it would probably be the colloquialisms more than the accent .

My wife has relatives in Northeast Mississippi who do have heavy accents. When we would visit their kids thought we talked funny, like Yankees. We damned sure thought they talked funny.

In spite of the disappearing Southern, country style accents, as Roamer says there are dialects. I can always tell a person from North Alabama vs Southern Alabama and I can usually pick up Mississippi. Forget about Louisiana. They have 3-4 dialects in New Orleans alone. In the city wards Nuns imported as teachers from Brooklyn nearly a hundred years ago had a dramatic impact on the accents in those wards.

More than anyone wanted to know, I'm sure. Forgive me I get carried away about subjects like this. Posted Image
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,333 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida
I have to agree with the others who said that it is more noticeable when they go in and out of their accent.

On the same subject but different show.....the actor that shocked me the most was Hugh Laurie. He had Dr. House down pat. He didn't have to do a southern accent, though.

Babs Bladdyblah

Babs Bladdyblah

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,006 posts
Surprised about those of you who think Maggies accent is bad. I think it really good especially to be from New Zealand (I think that's what I read). I've been in quite a few different southern states and the thickness of the accent totally varies from place to place.

chewygooey

chewygooey

Infected

• Members
  • 70 posts

I have to agree with the others who said that it is more noticeable when they go in and out of their accent.

On the same subject but different show.....the actor that shocked me the most was Hugh Laurie. He had Dr. House down pat. He didn't have to do a southern accent, though.

YEAH! i was totalllllly floored to hear about that one. i can still pick it up sometimes, but very, very rarely.

chewygooey

chewygooey

Infected

• Members
  • 70 posts

Surprised about those of you who think Maggies accent is bad. I think it really good especially to be from New Zealand (I think that's what I read). I've been in quite a few different southern states and the thickness of the accent totally varies from place to place.

oh i think its the worst on the show. hands down. i love her though. i try to not notice it, not let it bother me. little things like that can distract from any realism the show has

by the way.. i looked it up. shes actually american (!!!!!) but was raised in the united kingdom.

Rumiel

Rumiel

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationEngland

I thought that she was from either Australia or New Zealand, but as chewygooey said, she originates from the UK which is weird because that's the last place I expected her to be from.. but then again, if she's lived in America for a long time then it's normal for her to have that accent.
Maybe it's because I'm from the UK myself and I don't get to hear real southern accents but I her accent is one of the ones I enjoyed the most (as well as Rick's, which could be once again due to the fact that he tries to make it sound too southern at times, but I like it, it makes it very easy for me to spot where he's meant to be from); I feel like it's a traditional 'country' accent if you know what I mean. But then again, I know nothing about accents; even if their accents were terrible though I'd still watch it, I don't care what the characters sound like as long as they're good actors.
Posted Image

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • LocationMount Doom
To me they all sound fine, but I'm in the UK so I can't really tell. Lauren Cohan's real accent is funny regardless, she sounds very English while she says some words (she always says "can" like a Brit for instance), and American with other words. It's like a mix of both.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Babs Bladdyblah

Babs Bladdyblah

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,006 posts

I thought that she was from either Australia or New Zealand, but as chewygooey said, she originates from the UK which is weird because that's the last place I expected her to be from.. but then again, if she's lived in America for a long time then it's normal for her to have that accent.
Maybe it's because I'm from the UK myself and I don't get to hear real southern accents but I her accent is one of the ones I enjoyed the most (as well as Rick's, which could be once again due to the fact that he tries to make it sound too southern at times, but I like it, it makes it very easy for me to spot where he's meant to be from); I feel like it's a traditional 'country' accent if you know what I mean. But then again, I know nothing about accents; even if their accents were terrible though I'd still watch it, I don't care what the characters sound like as long as they're good actors.

I've always thought that people from Alabama have some of the thickest southern accents that I've heard. Case in point... Lucas Black is an American born actor from Alabama and has a very authentic thick southern accent. He's been in quite a few movies... one of my favorites being Sling Blade. He's also been in Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift, Legion, Get Low, Friday Night Lights and Jarhead, just to name a few. There are plenty of movies out there where you can tell that the actors are "putting on", but I knew this guy was legit the first time I heard him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've always been curious to know what would be harder? Americans putting on a British accent or vise versa? And how do American actors fare in British films when putting on the accent? Are there any actors who just suck at it? Which ones do really well?

chewygooey

chewygooey

Infected

• Members
  • 70 posts

I've always thought that people from Alabama have some of the thickest southern accents that I've heard. Case in point... Lucas Black is an American born actor from Alabama and has a very authentic thick southern accent. He's been in quite a few movies... one of my favorites being Sling Blade. He's also been in Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift, Legion, Get Low, Friday Night Lights and Jarhead, just to name a few. There are plenty of movies out there where you can tell that the actors are "putting on", but I knew this guy was legit the first time I heard him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've always been curious to know what would be harder? Americans putting on a British accent or vise versa? And how do American actors fare in British films when putting on the accent? Are there any actors who just suck at it? Which ones do really well?

agree on the slingblade kid

im an american. ive lived all over the world (including the south of usa and the uk). and ive convinced many people i was british. and i think a lot of americans do good accents. johnny depp is one of my favorites. and while there are some people who can pull off an american accent (like the house dude), i think its the harder to do that than it is to do british accents.

having lived in the uk, i do have somewhat of an ear for their accents. i think thats why its so easy for me to pick out the brits posing as americans.

i remember going to school overseas the british kids would try to do "american accents" and it coming off god awful, just weird sounding. but a few of ours managed to inflitrate their ranks with their superior linguistic skills. haha

Edited by chewygooey, 13 June 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • LocationMount Doom

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just on top of my head, Angelina Jolie, Reese Witherspoon and Peter Sasgaard do a very good RP, but Anne Hathaway is pretty bad and always slips in and out too much it's very distracting, I have no idea why they insist on casting her to play anything other than American. Natalie Portman in that V for Vendetta film was atrocious, to say the least. Kristen Stewart in Snow White slips in and out too, but when she gets it right it sounds quite convincing. Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones was super good, very believable.
I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Rumiel

Rumiel

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationEngland

I don't think it's the accent that's particularly difficult to copy, it's just the person's ability to do so. I've seen friends trying to put American accents all the time (most of which don't work very well..) but I've also seen American TV series which always try to fake British accents; once again, a lot of these are too stereotypical and far-fetched as to what we really sound like, no matter what area it is. The 'posh' accent is basically non-existent these days with exception of the Royal Family, yet American TV still tends to generalise this idea of royalty among everyone in England..

However, British TV series do the same with American accents; we generealise them and focus on stereotypes. So overall I think we're bad as each other when it comes to accents hahaha

Posted Image

Babs Bladdyblah

Babs Bladdyblah

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,006 posts

agree on the slingblade kid

im an american. ive lived all over the world (including the south of usa and the uk). and ive convinced many people i was british. and i think a lot of americans do good accents. johnny depp is one of my favorites. and while there are some people who can pull off an american accent (like the house dude), i think its the harder to do that than it is to do british accents.

having lived in the uk, i do have somewhat of an ear for their accents. i think thats why its so easy for me to pick out the brits posing as americans.

i remember going to school overseas the british kids would try to do "american accents" and it coming off god awful, just weird sounding. but a few of ours managed to inflitrate their ranks with their superior linguistic skills. haha

Johnny is good at different accents. I can't think of a "southern" one off the top of my head, but I seem to remember reading that he's from Kentucky and raised in Florida so it wouldn't surprise me. His British accent sounds very good to me, but again, I've never been to the UK so I feel like I'd be a lousy judge.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,268 posts
If I remember correctly the accent we in the U.S. try to copy is called "public school" or "posh." It's what we expect if we've never met anyone from Great Britain. The reason being that it is the accent we heard for years on BBC broadcasts and movies.

Most people in the states think this accent and Cockney are the only accents in G.B.The toughest time I ever had was with someone who said he was from Cornwall I think. I understood him only with great difficulty.

Edited by backwoodsroamer, 13 June 2012 - 11:03 PM.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,559 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers
My husband works with a girl from Alabama, who dates a guy from New York - when we have dinner with them I can't understand either of them much of the time. :( :lol:

zombiebanner-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!