- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
  • LocationNorth of the Wall. Seriously. I am 200 yards from it.
Hope you don't think I'm whinging, and it's probably because of how I use the board, but I sit in the View New Content mode and occasionally refresh. When I see a topic updated I will click on it only to see that it's something I read days ago, and, I've worked out that it's because someone has voted on a poll and there hasn't actually been a new post at all. Then I've gotta scroll all the way to the top of the page to click View New Content. I'm getting carpal tunnel! Posted Image

Is there any way to stop a vote showing up as new content or not show the new content as a post by XYZ? With the best will in the world I'm finding it difficult to get excited about the last episode of last season but - just because someone has 'apparently' posted on there this very morning I feel like I'm still obliged to click and then scroll up to View New Content and then click the next topic. And then when, like this morning I've clicked on four or five apparently updated topics, I've clicked Mark the Board as Read.

Oh, and while I'm here, could we also have a button to View New Content at the bottom of the board?

Cheers!

Don't Dead Open Inside...

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,276 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys
I second the Honorable Mr. Cade's idea. I to have found this this occurrence annoying.
The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
I'm just kicking myself I didn't start this topic as a poll.

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationLocation Location!

I'm just kicking myself I didn't start this topic as a poll.

Kick hard, very hard. I'm appauled your quirky ingenuity didn't allow yourself to make this thread a poll to begin with.

I concur with Barry and bw.

Goat

Goat

Roamer

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
I refuse to get on this bandwagon. I shall be the dissenting voice. The champion of the poll takers' right to be heard! NEW POLL INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT! Daryl is now at 26% on the 'who is the coolest' poll from November 2011! Everyone must know this!

(Okay, fine. I agree with all of these people above me. It's annoying.)
"Looks like God left the phone off the hook."
-- Cholo,
Land of the Dead

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationLocation Location!
Might as well bump threads from March of 2010 while we're at it, eh?

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,617 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of polls - I think it keeps threads alive long after they should have been dispatched, among other reasons.

As a lowly mod, I have no idea if there is a way to keep them from showing up when you are searching new posts, or not. I'll let an Admin answer that. There may be a way for us to go in and close the poll after a certain time period, though.

zombiebanner-1.jpg

Sapper

Sapper

Lurker

• Members
  • 320 posts
Yes, you can select a setting in the ACP to make it so that poll votes don't bump the thread.

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

Yes, you can select a setting in the ACP to make it so that poll votes don't bump the thread.

I think I love you!

Sapper

Sapper

Lurker

• Members
  • 320 posts
Well, just because I know how to do it doesn't mean the admins will want to change it. But thanks for the love anyway, it's nice to be wanted.... err... I suppose.

Sapper

Sapper

Lurker

• Members
  • 320 posts
It's in the Edit Forum screen, under Postable Forum Settings: Options -> Enable Poll Bump (y/n). The sucky part is you have to do it for each forum, which wouldn't be too bad on R&L because only a handful of forums.

Living Dead Grrrl

Living Dead Grrrl

Cynical Cadaverous Creeper

• Administrators
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beyond

:luvzombismile: :luvzombismile: :luvzombismile:

"One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad' ~Sheldon
Dellamorte Dellamore ... 'Of Death of Love'

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

:luvzombismile: :luvzombismile: :luvzombismile:

It is the Sapper love in tonight.

Sapper

Sapper

Lurker

• Members
  • 320 posts
They like me, they really like me.... wasn't that from some movie and then Jim Carey spoofed it in the Mask, not sure, but that is what I envision.

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

They like me, they really like me.... wasn't that from some movie and then Jim Carey spoofed it in the Mask, not sure, but that is what I envision.

Shhh my love, don't speak, don't spoil the moment.

Sapper

Sapper

Lurker

• Members
  • 320 posts
kin I telk nur? = can I talk now? Through gritted teeth.

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • 8,567 posts
I have always wondered why topics have been bumped, yet no new posts have been made in said topic. Such wizardry confused me at times, hopefully the issue is/will be fixed.

Trillian

Trillian

Biter

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

I believe the source is Sally Field when she won an Oscar. Apparently, she has been misquoted, if you want to believe the Washington Post:

http://www.washingto...rs/speeches.htm

Not sure about the Jim Carrey spoof, but that sounds right.

Beware, I am emoticon-impaired.

Posted Image

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
Hi, it seems that threads are being brought back from the dead when people are voting on polls again. Not noticed this for some time. Can this be rectified?

Trillian

Trillian

Biter

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Hi, it seems that threads are being brought back from the dead when people are voting on polls again. Not noticed this for some time. Can this be rectified?

I noticed the same thing last night (and today).

Beware, I am emoticon-impaired.

Posted Image

Living Dead Grrrl

Living Dead Grrrl

• Administrators
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beyond
Rectified how? If someone votes in a poll it is like replying to a thread and will bump it. Annoying maybe. Against the rule to vote in an older poll, nope.

However, I may look into this as I find it irritating.

"One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad' ~Sheldon

Living Dead Grrrl

Living Dead Grrrl

• Administrators
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beyond

I have found no such setting. Sorry.

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts

Rectified how? If someone votes in a poll it is like replying to a thread and will bump it. Annoying maybe. Against the rule to vote in an older poll, nope.

However, I may look into this as I find it irritating.

I'd just not noticed it for some time since Sapper showed the scary depths of his knowledge above! And then, lo and behold the last couple of days... Bam!

Sapper

Sapper

Lurker

• Members
  • 320 posts

I have found no such setting. Sorry.

I posted it here

If you can't find it then R&L may be running a different version than what I'm used to, but it should be around there somewhere.

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • 8,567 posts
I am not sure if the ACP of this version of IPboard is the same as another forum I post on, but the option should be in the forum post setting and looks something like this.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!