Photo

Everyone is infected but what does it mean?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

slugger7575

slugger7575

Infected

• Members
  • 7 posts
So Rick tells the others that they are all infected, and they are obviously upset that he didn't tell them before. So when they die they will become Walkers, but can it happen before they die? Will it affect them in any way while there alive? I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on this.
"Why don't you go and find out yourself. Send me a postcard. Go on there's the door. You can do better let's see how far you get. No takers fine, but get one thing straight. Your staying, this isn't a democracy anymore." -Rick

Lord Soth

Lord Soth

Infected

• Members
  • 2 posts

So Rick tells the others that they are all infected, and they are obviously upset that he didn't tell them before. So when they die they will become Walkers, but can it happen before they die? Will it affect them in any way while there alive? I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on this.

It doesn't affect them at all while they're alive. It only kicks in when someone dies, at which point they'll rise as a zombie.

mswillow

mswillow

Infected

• Members
  • 14 posts
My question about that is, at what point did everyone get infected? There still seemed to be bodies from non-head-shots who didn't become walkers after death early on in the season, which suggests that it didn't infect everyone immediately. (Bodies in cars etc) - what are others' thoughts on that? (I could be very wrong, and just not seen the head damage - hard to tell with some of the corpses of course!). Also, why were the two walkers in the Randall abandonment-attempt scene dead in the first place? How did they die if there was no indication of trauma? Did they starve?

Goat

Goat

Roamer

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
I think I read in an interview with Kirkman that they were careful to show that the dead in the cars all had head trauma, to slyly disguise it at the beginning of season 2. I guess anyone who turned in their cars otherwise had somehow clawed out.

Not sure why those two walkers died. I've wondered that, myself, but haven't rewatched the episode to see if I could catch any hint I may have missed.
"Looks like God left the phone off the hook."
-- Cholo,
Land of the Dead

Tynerra

Tynerra

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 130 posts
This question invariably comes up. How did the outbreak begin? How did everyone become infected?

I think that must simply prove the brilliance of Kirkman's concept: No one knows how it started, what "it" is or very much about how or why "it" works the way it does. The unknown and resulting conjecture, both in the story and about the story, serve to perpetuate it, the talk about it and interest in it.

It's like giving a set of people a puzzle with pieces that can fit together in any number of ways and asking for "the" solution when they don't know what the puzzle should look like when completed, what picture it makes or what the correct combination of the pieces are. Presented with such a dilemma, it is amazing how we will start to work on solving it...all the while, the game-master (TWD creator Robert Kirkman) sits back and keeps adding to the puzzle pieces and moving further into the equation, pied-piping us deeper in while providing no answer as to where we started or why.

It's brilliant in its simplicity, yet divine in its complexity.

Edited by Tynerra, 09 April 2012 - 11:48 PM.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,635 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers

I think I read in an interview with Kirkman that they were careful to show that the dead in the cars all had head trauma, to slyly disguise it at the beginning of season 2. I guess anyone who turned in their cars otherwise had somehow clawed out.

Not sure why those two walkers died. I've wondered that, myself, but haven't rewatched the episode to see if I could catch any hint I may have missed.

I need to go back and watch, but I saw someone mention that there was a shot of a hose hooked up to an exhaust pipe...

zombiebanner-1.jpg

Trillian

Trillian

Biter

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

My thinking is that it won't affect them physically while they're alive.

On the other hand, how do you handle a severely wounded person? You would have to establish a death watch because if they die, they're going to start eating anyone nearby. So, do you have enough people to establish a death watch, or do you just shoot anyone who's wounded?

I think the knowledge that everyone is infected takes a heavy toll on the psyche, even if it doesn't hurt the survivors while they're alive.

Beware, I am emoticon-impaired.

Posted Image

Surviving101

Surviving101

Infected

• Members
  • 20 posts
It means that when you die you turn into a walker , it doesnt batter if you have been bitten or not .

Babs Bladdyblah

Babs Bladdyblah

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,006 posts

My thinking is that it won't affect them physically while they're alive.

On the other hand, how do you handle a severely wounded person? You would have to establish a death watch because if they die, they're going to start eating anyone nearby. So, do you have enough people to establish a death watch, or do you just shoot anyone who's wounded?

I think the knowledge that everyone is infected takes a heavy toll on the psyche, even if it doesn't hurt the survivors while they're alive.

Not just for the wounded either. An elderly person dies in their sleep, and the next morning he/she is gnawing on his grandson. They could really do alot with this particular aspect of the story. Personally, I think the only way anyone of them can ever get a good night's rest again, is to lock themselves individually in a cell. Sounds harsh, but it may be reality.
It's all daft. Daft like buggery, innit?

Trillian

Trillian

Biter

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Not just for the wounded either. An elderly person dies in their sleep, and the next morning he/she is gnawing on his grandson. They could really do alot with this particular aspect of the story. Personally, I think the only way anyone of them can ever get a good night's rest again, is to lock themselves individually in a cell. Sounds harsh, but it may be reality.

Agreed. I was thinking about the episode "Vatos" and the men protecting the elderly. What an unpleasant surprise to find out that one of the old, sickly people that you were protecting died of a heart attack and woke up a zombie. Makes protecting them a questionable prospect.

Edited by Trillian, 15 April 2012 - 11:26 PM.

Posted Image

bean

bean

Infected

• Members
  • 9 posts

Agreed. I was thinking about the episode "Vatos" and the men protecting the elderly. What an unpleasant surprise to find out that one of the old, sickly people that you were protecting died of a heart attack and woke up a zombie. Makes protecting them a questionable prospect.

I agree- I had not though of Vatos and the ramifications of all the dead rising as zombies. BON (Bitten or not).
God to man as man to animals.

Jon W

Jon W

Lurker

• Members
  • 403 posts
So why is it different when you are actually bitten? Get bit, have a fever, die, come back as zombie. Why is "everybody is infected" different than being infected by a bite? (serious question, I'm trying to figure it out)

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,635 posts

So why is it different when you are actually bitten? Get bit, have a fever, die, come back as zombie. Why is "everybody is infected" different than being infected by a bite? (serious question, I'm trying to figure it out)

It's because you can never be completely safe - you can build a mighty wall around your community with guards on watch all day every day (I did that for you, Tex ;)), to keep out the zeds, but if gramps dies in the middle of the night of heart failure and reanimates... Plus, it means that you can't completely eradicate the situation, by waiting it out. It's something that humanity will be always (barring a cure) be dealing with.

Plus, I think it just does something to the psyche knowing that you have a good chance of becoming one of them...

zombiebanner-1.jpg

Jon W

Jon W

Lurker

• Members
  • 403 posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about the psychological impact of everybody being infected (honestly, I don't think the show cast have had time to think about that yet).

I'm talking about what is the difference in the disease? We've seen that if someone gets bitten, they start feeling bad, they run a fever, they turn greyish, they die and then reanimate.

I'll accept that all of those are symptoms of the "zombie disease" that the person got when they were bitten.

Now - if "everyone is infected", why aren't they feeling bad, running a fever, dying, etc.?

The only thing that makes sense is that there are actually TWO diseases - the "reanimation" disease that everybody has, and the "fever and die" disease that is passed by zombie bite. People ASSUMED that the bite passed the reanimation disease, but were incorrect - it's been there in everybody.

However, that *should* mean that there are zombies out there *without* the bite (fever and die) disease, because they died of 'natural causes' without being bitten.

A logical inconsistency, which always annoy me. I can suspend my disbelief, as long as the "world" is internally consistent.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,635 posts
People refer to it as a virus, for a lack of a better word, but I believe Jenner said that it wasn't a virus - they didn't know what it was. IMO, that was designed to let viewers know that questions like this will not be answered.

TWD world is consistent: You die ----> you reanimate*

*barring head trauma

zombiebanner-1.jpg

ElloraDixon

ElloraDixon

Infected

• Members
  • 99 posts

Because it is not the bite that turns you. The human mouth is dirty, imagine a corpse´s. It is the infection that kills you, then you come back because the virus was inside you all the time.

Babs Bladdyblah

Babs Bladdyblah

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,006 posts
Actually, I think Jenner said it could be viral, microbial or fungal, but they didn't know for sure.
It's all daft. Daft like buggery, innit?

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,635 posts

Actually, I think Jenner said it could be viral, microbial or fungal, but they didn't know for sure.

OK; thanks, babs. I'll have to rewatch that part.

zombiebanner-1.jpg

Tynerra

Tynerra

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 130 posts
Yes, Jenner's explanation was riddled with answerless questions. He did say that it could be viral, microbial or fungal. He knew more about what "it" did than he knew about how or why "it" reanimated the dead. He did say that it seemed to mimic meningitis in some ways.

Basically, everyone is a 'carrier' of the infection. That's why they aren't falling out. It's death that triggers reanimation...however death is brought about, beit by the highly infectious walker bites or other means.

SoulCrusher

SoulCrusher

Infected

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

It means that when you die you turn into a walker , it doesnt batter if you have been bitten or not .

So what about Jim, he got bitten and he got the fever and if you look here > http://walkingdead.w...Jim_(TV_Series)
it says that he reanimated, he didnt get bitten severely though
♥ Daryl Dixon ♥

Trillian

Trillian

Biter

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

So what about Jim, he got bitten and he got the fever and if you look here > http://walkingdead.w...Jim_(TV_Series)
it says that he reanimated, he didnt get bitten severely though

There are three situations that I know of:
1. You get bitten. The bite is septic and kills you. You reanimate.

2. You die, but not from a head injury. You reanimate.

3. You die from a head injury. You do not reanimate.

There is a fourth situation (corollary to 1) that has been covered in the comic, but that's a spoiler here.

In the first two situations, you have the virus and the brain is intact, so you reanimate. You don't have to be bitten to get the virus - you already have it.

Posted Image

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
You would almost have to assume that the original infection was airborne to have infected everyone.

As for the hose in the exhaust, If I were one of the writers and someone asked me about that, I would tell them that Carbon Monoxide poisoning causes brain death and it would prevent reanimation.

I am (like the guy in the commercial) 99.9% sure that this is correct. People who survive CO poisoning are sometime left in a vegetative state due to brain damage. The question would be, does it kill enough of the brain to prevent reanimation. If I'm the writer, I say hell yes, don't you know nothing? Posted Image
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

SoulCrusher

SoulCrusher

Infected

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
oh, so no matter what the survivors do the walking dead world has really gone to shit, unless they found a cure which wouldnt help if you think about it because if they gave the cure to a zombie it means that they wouldnt be able to live again because they have already died, really quite creepy when you think of it like that
♥ Daryl Dixon ♥

WalkerBaitress

WalkerBaitress

Roamer

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationTampa-area, FL
One of the WD Podcasts made a good point IMO that, from a pragmatic standpoint, it didn't change matters much--people would just have to handle burials a bit differently (decapitating the head and burying it separately or cremating the corpse rather than burying it) and, of course, always be vigilant that a dead person, barring brain trauma, would re-animate if not "done a solid" as one of the Podcast speakers put it. From my comfy spot behind a computer screen with electricity, plenty of food, and not a walker in sight, I find this perfectly logical. However, if I were actually in a ZA, with most or all of my family and friends dead and me fighting every day to survive, I might not think that lucidly...and yeah, it would make an already-depressing situation a wee bit more depressing. :P
"Stick them with the pointy end." Arya Stark, Game of Thrones

Thierry88

Thierry88

Roamer

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
It means that when someone gets a cardiac arrest, giving CPR is a risky business. This was seen in one of the webisodes after Season 1.

Edited by Thierry88, 28 July 2012 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!