Photo

Why does no one seem to understand the virus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TWD2012

TWD2012

Infected

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlliance Ohio
Ive been reading threads about the virus and how people die. Everyone seems to be confused about it and I don't see whats so confusing. Ive read post saying that bleeding out kills you and what not. That to me makes no sense. Think about it, this is a zombie virus and everyone knows that the disease is spread through bites. Bleeding out is not what kills you every time. Sure if someone is ripped apart they may bleed out before the disease has a chance to kill them but bleeding out does not kill you every time. It is clear that if you are bitten you are infected. The disease causes the fever and everything, and eventually kills you. Thats easy to understand so its the disease thats kills you. After death the disease is still alive and eventually takes over the brain to reanimate it, simple as that.

Also concerning how everyone is infected. People seem to be confused about how everyone is infected but not a zombie. Obviously if you are bitten you are injected with a high concentration of the disease which eventually kills you. But everyone being infected means that it is airborne or something, so it must be a much lower concentration, small enough that your immune system is able to fight it off, but when you die and your immune system shuts down, it is no longer able to fight the disease allowing it to take over the brain and bring reanimation.

Double Tap

Double Tap

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 187 posts
We're confused and will never know the true reason until they explain it in the show. Until then we can try to explain it with as much logic as possible but at the end of the day we won't know for sure until it's explained thoroughly.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,380 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
I understand it thoroughly and completely, but no one agrees with me.

:zombiekill:
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Tynerra

Tynerra

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 130 posts
Kirkman has said that

Zombie bites are not how the "infection" is spread. Instead, zombie bites and saliva cause infections that are 100% lethal. Characters have speculated, but cannot confirm, that whatever causes zombies to re-animate is some sort of virus that everyone in the world is technically already infected with but is only triggered by death. It is known, however, that upon death, it can take anytime between three minutes and eight hours for the corpse to reanimate

Creator Robert Kirkman is on record as saying

...the rule is: WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die ... you turn into a zombie. UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die ...you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss ... not because of the zombie "virus"...

So, from the creative team's point-of-view, the reanimating 'virus' is not what is fatal about a walker bite. It can be speculated (and has been here in the forum) that any number of contagions in a walker's mouth could introduce a fatal infection in the wounded. Major Tom has postulated that prions could be the reason. It is a very well-thought out hypothesis. You can find it elsewhere in another thread on the forum.

As difficult to wrestle with as it might be, the creative staff - Mazarra and Kirkman in particular, have stated repeatedly that the fictional 'hard science' behind what originally caused the outbreak and its aftermath just isn't important to them. The writers feel that keeping the audience in the dark about it serves to add to the suspense and fear factor. And after exploring the various theories, rewatching the show through both seasons...I have to agree. At this point, almost anything they thought of/created and wrote, drew or shot would be probably just be a let down, or coined a 'cop out' or otherwise derided by some segment of the Graphic Novels and TV show.

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationLocation Location!
I don't think they want us to comprehend any theories concerning this, otherwise they would've went into detail ages ago about the whole process. I think all they really care for us to know -- and honestly all they [the writers] care to know too -- is that everyone already has the virus within them and if you get bit, you turn; if you die of any other cause and don't get a whackin' to the brain, you turn.

Simple as that.

They don't care to go into detail on it 'cause they themselves don't care to come up with some detailed explanation. What we know now is all we're getting and to be honest, it's plenty good enough.

And to be honest again, there's really not too many around here who are confused about this topic. Everyone pretty much already knows what you said.

Tynerra

Tynerra

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 130 posts

They don't care to go into detail on it 'cause they themselves don't care to come up with some detailed explanation. What we know now is all we're getting and to be honest, it's plenty good enough.

Exactly. The how just isn't that important to the writers.

And to be honest again, there's really not too many around here who are confused about this topic. Everyone pretty much already knows what you said.

I'm Sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone by being repetitive.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,380 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
Creator Robert Kirkman is on record as saying

So, from the creative team's point-of-view, the reanimating 'virus' is not what is fatal about a walker bite. It can be speculated (and has been here in the forum) that any number of contagions in a walker's mouth could introduce a fatal infection in the wounded. Major Tom has postulated that prions could be the reason. It is a very well-thought out hypothesis. You can find it elsewhere in another thread on the forum.

If I am the average TWD fan (which I am) I consider this gospel regarding the cause of death from a walker bite. You do not die from the virus. You die from loss of blood or far more likely a septic infection that is so toxic, it is untreatable and 100% fatal.

After you die, from whatever reason, the virus, (or my prion if you prefer :) ) reanimates your corpse.

As difficult to wrestle with as it might be, the creative staff - Mazarra and Kirkman in particular, have stated repeatedly that the fictional 'hard science' behind what originally caused the outbreak and its aftermath just isn't important to them. The writers feel that keeping the audience in the dark about it serves to add to the suspense and fear factor. And after exploring the various theories, rewatching the show through both seasons...I have to agree. At this point, almost anything they thought of/created and wrote, drew or shot would be probably just be a let down, or coined a 'cop out' or otherwise derided by some segment of the Graphic Novels and TV show.

You are correct. We are better left to our own devices. I will bet anybody on this forum a coca cola that Mazzara and Kirkman would not have thought of prions in a hundred years. :lol::P
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!