• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationLocation Location!
So we all remember what Daryl told Rick in Better Angels as the two were looking over the map for a place to drop Randall off just before Shane showed up:

"I don't see the two of us tradin' haymakers on the side of the road... 'sides, don't think that's a fight you can win."

Or something along those lines.

So that begs the question, who would win that fight?

The strategic leader who "doesn't talk, thinks" and has a wife and son to look after and must ensure that he remains alive in order to do so? Or the tough bastard who laughs when tickled with arrows that just happen to penetrate his near-impenetrable skin all while wearing a necklace made of ears?

I'd say Rick. Both are tactical in their own regard, both are depicted as two of the most toughest characters you will ever see, and both are very smart (Daryl in different ways than Rick). But Rick seems to me to slightly have the edge over Daryl in the intelligence/strategy department, and as mentioned above, has a wife and son to look after so he must do whatever it takes to stay alive and ensure he's around to be there for them. Daryl, on the other hand, really has nothing to lose and has only himself to look after. Sure Daryl will fight to the death just like Rick, but I think Rick would outsmart Daryl.

Plus, Shane was more aggressive than Daryl and Rick took him down. How? Tactically, flipping Shane's own idea around on himself. Sure Shane was a weaker person mentally than Daryl and no where near as tough, but someone in Shane's state was much more dangerous and Rick disposed of him not easily, but effectively and strategically.

Whatever the case, it defintely wouldn't be over as quick as Rick v Shane. I'm just glad we won't have the opportunity to see this actually happen though (I know there's always a chance, but seriously, do you ever see Daryl turning on Rick?).

So who is it? Rick? Daryl?

TheAnarchrist

TheAnarchrist

Lurker

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
Let's truly be honest here. In the real world, Shane would've mopped the floor with Rick... and Darryl would do the same. Rick is soft.

In TWD, Rick always wins. It's television.
Everyday I'm Shufflin'
- Sincerely, Walkers

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?

So we all remember what Daryl told Rick in Better Angels as the two were looking over the map for a place to drop Randall off just before Shane showed up:

"I don't see the two of us tradin' haymakers on the side of the road... 'sides, don't think that's a fight you can win."

Or something along those lines.

So that begs the question, who would win that fight?

The strategic leader who "doesn't talk, thinks" and has a wife and son to look after and must ensure that he remains alive in order to do so? Or the tough bastard who laughs when tickled with arrows that just happen to penetrate his near-impenetrable skin all while wearing a necklace made of ears?

I'd say Rick. Both are tactical in their own regard, both are depicted as two of the most toughest characters you will ever see, and both are very smart (Daryl in different ways than Rick). But Rick seems to me to slightly have the edge over Daryl in the intelligence/strategy department, and as mentioned above, has a wife and son to look after so he must do whatever it takes to stay alive and ensure he's around to be there for them. Daryl, on the other hand, really has nothing to lose and has only himself to look after. Sure Daryl will fight to the death just like Rick, but I think Rick would outsmart Daryl.

Plus, Shane was more aggressive than Daryl and Rick took him down. How? Tactically, flipping Shane's own idea around on himself. Sure Shane was a weaker person mentally than Daryl and no where near as tough, but someone in Shane's state was much more dangerous and Rick disposed of him not easily, but effectively and strategically.

Whatever the case, it defintely wouldn't be over as quick as Rick v Shane. I'm just glad we won't have the opportunity to see this actually happen though (I know there's always a chance, but seriously, do you ever see Daryl turning on Rick?).

So who is it? Rick? Daryl?

He said "That is a fight none of us can win." Daryl was being rather sane not trying to make a tougher then you point...kind of wrecks your entire post...

TheAnarchrist

TheAnarchrist

Lurker

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
Glad you heard it. I was under the impression he was being a hard ass too... a lot of people thought that actually. Interesting. That changes things a bit.

Everyday I'm Shufflin'
- Sincerely, Walkers

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

1333130942[/url]' post='55561']
He said "That is a fight none of us can win." Daryl was being rather sane not trying to make a tougher then you point...kind of wrecks your entire post...

Doesn't wreck the post, run with it anyway. I mean, we got Rick vs. Shane, so why not wonder what would happen if Daryl were in Shane's spot? Or is creativity and imagination too much to ask for?...

And to Anarchrist, I still think Rick would've prevailed in our reality. At the point he killed Shane, he had been close to a full-blown transformation to a "don't f*** with me" mindset. During their altercation, that mindset kicked in and now he's off and running with it.

Babs Bladdyblah

Babs Bladdyblah

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,006 posts
No matter what was said... it's still safe to say that Rick would come out on top. Simply because he's a thinker.

But in a man to man, nothing but fists, no weapons or wrenches included, Shane coulda whooped them all. :P
It's all daft. Daft like buggery, innit?

firestopr

firestopr

Lurker

• Members
  • 136 posts
Location Location Location.......... where they have it out would dictate the winner in my mind. in the woods rick is screwed, in other places i would have to go with rick for some maybe daryl for others
Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Operational Security

Operational Security

Roamer

• Members
  • 661 posts
It's difficult to say I've watched enough UFC fights to know all it takes is one good hit to the side of the head and KO!! But if I had to pick I'm going to say Daryl would win.

Or the tough bastard who laughs when tickled with arrows that just happen to penetrate his near-impenetrable skin all while wearing a necklace made of ears?

Lol

Boota

Boota

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN
It's never nothing but fists. The brain fights first. Physically I see the three of them as pretty evenly matched, so it comes down to more than punches. Shane was the one willing to do the most damage and fight recklessly, but that's as much a problem as it is a benefit. Daryl is skilled and just plain tough, which could be enough, but he's also shown examples of being a bit of a hothead. He's coming out of it and becoming more like Rick, I think. Rick is a plotter and a thinker, and will likely keep a cooler head throughout. But now he's got some strong self-righteous anger backing him up. I think he'd be able to channel his anger and use it the best of the three. Combining physical toughness with mental toughness I'd rate them in order as Rick, Daryl, and then Shane. Rick and Daryl would be a very close match at this point.
"We went together like Kennedys and head wounds."--Lenny Kapowski, Mr. Undesirable

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

1333161838[/url]' post='55745']
It's never nothing but fists. The brain fights first. Physically I see the three of them as pretty evenly matched, so it comes down to more than punches. Shane was the one willing to do the most damage and fight recklessly, but that's as much a problem as it is a benefit. Daryl is skilled and just plain tough, which could be enough, but he's also shown examples of being a bit of a hothead. He's coming out of it and becoming more like Rick, I think. Rick is a plotter and a thinker, and will likely keep a cooler head throughout. But now he's got some strong self-righteous anger backing him up. I think he'd be able to channel his anger and use it the best of the three. Combining physical toughness with mental toughness I'd rate them in order as Rick, Daryl, and then Shane. Rick and Daryl would be a very close match at this point.

One day I may be able to take the pebble from your hand, but not today... :D

*bows*

+1 nice analysis

Goat

Goat

Roamer

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
Who should win that fight? Daryl. He's tougher, physically, and while he doesn't have the leadership capabilities that Rick does he appears to be just as quick-witted as Rick... if not moreso. Daryl's a sharp cookie - he seems to notice and pick up on most nuances, but he minds his own business. Objectively, I think Daryl would come out on top if it went to fisticuffs.

Who would win that fight? Rick. Because he's the "hero".

That said, I don't really think we'll ever see that fight. I wouldn't mind seeing Rick get on the losing end of an altercation like that, though, personally. Since he's the focal point and protagonist of the series, we know he's going to survive and come out on top of things eventually. But hey, that shouldn't mean he can't get whooped on a bit. A sore jaw to put the Ricktatorship in check. It's all I ask! ;)
"Looks like God left the phone off the hook."
-- Cholo,
Land of the Dead

Dawg

Dawg

Infected

• Members
  • 23 posts
I think Daryl and Rick are pretty equal in terms of thinking things through. That's why Daryl said he wouldn't see himself trading haymakers with Rick on the side of the road. Daryl realizes that any petty differences they may have, which might have resulted in a bar fight in pre-ZA, are no longer worth fighting over. Just find some common ground and move forward. So, its pretty unlikely that we'll find Rick and Daryl trading haymakers.. but...

If we did, I think I'd give the edge to Rick. While Daryl may have more experience scrapping.. we don't know this. I imagine that Rick has at least some hand-to-hand training as part of his role as a deputy. I think that tilts in his favor.

As for Shane.. his rashness would be his undoing.

And no sense stopping there... T-dog? He's a pretty big guy but we've seen nothing to indicate he would handle himself well in a fist fight. Glenn? One punch and Glenn is out of the fight. I think all the ladies would fare poorly in a fistfight.. Andrea definitely has strength and stamina though...

Rick >= Daryl > Shane > T-dog > Andrea > Glenn > Lori
Hershel won't fight, he'll just leave it up to Rick.. :P
Carol and Beth won't fight. Carol is passive as part of her essence. Though I suspect that Beth will make an effort to learn to use firearm, I don't think will develop mentally in a way that would allow her to change like Andrea has.

Regardless of who's fighting and who's winning, Carl will come bumbling in and it will stop without resolution.

Edited by Dawg, 01 April 2012 - 05:38 PM.

journeynsolace

journeynsolace

Roamer

• Members
  • 657 posts
I think it depends on the motivation for the fight. If Rick did something that caused Daryl to attack in an emotional way (such as Rick killing Merle or something like that), then Rick would win because Daryl lets his emotions get the better of him.

However, if it were a situation where Daryl has begun to consider Rick a threat to the group (maybe Daryl begins to doubt Rick's leadership), then Daryl might be more logical about when and how to fight Rick as a way to protect the group, and in that case, Daryl would win.

Take emotions out of the picture, and I think Daryl would win a fight with Rick, but if strong emotions were involved as the motivation for the fight, then it's Rick.

kombat

kombat

Roamer

• Members
  • 814 posts

Let's truly be honest here. In the real world, Shane would've mopped the floor with Rick... and Darryl would do the same. Rick is soft.

In Season 1 Ep 3, when Daryl got angry that they left Merle behind, Rick handled him pretty easily. Rick handled Shane pretty easily at the CDC. I don't know what you mean by he's soft. Physically he's not soft at all. So the guys has, or wants to have, morals. That makes him soft? A man can't have ethics and be a badass at the same time?

kombat

kombat

Roamer

• Members
  • 814 posts

Who should win that fight? Daryl. He's tougher, physically, and while he doesn't have the leadership capabilities that Rick does he appears to be just as quick-witted as Rick... if not moreso. Daryl's a sharp cookie - he seems to notice and pick up on most nuances, but he minds his own business. Objectively, I think Daryl would come out on top if it went to fisticuffs.

Who would win that fight? Rick. Because he's the "hero".

That said, I don't really think we'll ever see that fight. I wouldn't mind seeing Rick get on the losing end of an altercation like that, though, personally. Since he's the focal point and protagonist of the series, we know he's going to survive and come out on top of things eventually. But hey, that shouldn't mean he can't get whooped on a bit. A sore jaw to put the Ricktatorship in check. It's all I ask! ;)

Spoiler

Weasel Slayer

Weasel Slayer

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 106 posts

Yeah, would have mopped the floor with him if he wasn't a neanderthal. Haha. Just like the OP pointed out, Rick outsmarted Shane and that's how he took him down. I don't see how Rick is soft at all, though. Just look at what he did to Tony and Dave in the bar.

DayWalker

DayWalker

Survivor

• Members
  • 578 posts
Daryl is tough, but it's from street experience. Shane and Rick are trained officers. I'd have to think between the two of them, Shane would win in a close fight.

I'd say in that order: Shane, Rick, and then Daryl, with no real dominance between the three.

Goat

Goat

Roamer

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
@kombat - What you referenced is one of my favorite parts of the comics. :)
"Looks like God left the phone off the hook."
-- Cholo,
Land of the Dead

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
It's the quiet ones you gotta look out for. Daryl is good with his hands and is a survivalist while Rick has had combat training and thinks before acting. They both have good qualities that would change the outcome of a fight.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

SammyP

SammyP

Infected

• Members
  • 48 posts

Spoiler

Yes, but that's right at the beginning of the comics.

Spoiler

Edited by SammyP, 03 April 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Creeper

Creeper

Roamer

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationCanada
If it was a hand-to-hand fight, I think Rick has proven he is a more skilled fighter. I love Daryl, he is tough and awesome, but he doesn't have the technical skill and training that Rick does in that department. Daryl would probably be able to take Rick out if they were hunting each other though..Daryl being better in the woods, a tracker, etc. I think he is much more sneaky.
Daryl is also very resourceful, so that would be in his favor, particularly in a life or death situation, but I think Rick is resourceful too, so who knows.
I think Rick would probably win. But don't tell Daryl that.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
  • 947 posts
In hand to hand combats realistically I think Shane would win. Rick or Daryl might win if they could use something random near them as a weapon for a quick lucky strike but pure force I think Shane has the advantage.

As far as mind over matter as far as strategy, I'd give it to Daryl. Rick has proved to be a quick reactor but I think 80% of the time its dumb luck given to him by the writers. Lots of situations he's only made it out of because there would be no show without him. While I don't mind that I'm just saying realistically I don't think he deserves as much credit as most are giving to him. Daryl is a hunter and a tracker. The way he found Shane and Randal's foot prints in the dark was ridiculous. He has more of the hunter-prey mentality so strategy wise Rick and Shane would probably fall into a bunch of his traps.

The one the Rick does have the upper-hand with is words. May not seem like much but I believe if it was a combat situation where they are circling one another Rick would be able to get under their skin. Whether it being talking them down or talking them up to the point of careless rage, he could get the advantage by playing with their mind and emotions. It's how Rick was able to kill Shane.

So I think depending on the circumstances it depends on which of them would be victorious. Poor T-Dog better pray he has a gun and a good shot cause he isn't even a factor lol.

Of course Rick is never going to be killed on TV, but I also think Daryl is pretty safe too almost Rick status, they love their ratings too much to kill Daryl.

Posted Image

Special Survivor

Special Survivor

Infected

• Members
  • 38 posts
Rick only managed to get back up and fight on because Shane left him where he was, as he was more concerned with killing Randall. If it wasn't for that, Shane would have won.
Unintentionally and naturally blending in with the brain-dead Walkers since 1992

journeynsolace

journeynsolace

Roamer

• Members
  • 657 posts

Rick only managed to get back up and fight on because Shane left him where he was, as he was more concerned with killing Randall. If it wasn't for that, Shane would have won.

I agree with this. If Shane at that time had wanted Rick dead, Rick would be dead.

The problem is that in any fight with a friend (or even former friend), you tend to pull back UNLESS you've already made the decision before the fight that this is it.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,765 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

I agree with this. If Shane at that time had wanted Rick dead, Rick would be dead.

The problem is that in any fight with a friend (or even former friend), you tend to pull back UNLESS you've already made the decision before the fight that this is it.

The same can be said about the last scene with Rick and Shane, as well. If Shane really wanted to kill Rick, he could of shot Rick in the back. I thought it was interesting, that several times they showed Rick in the lead and then Shane in the lead before they came to the final showdown. I don't think Shane would have shot Rick in the back, I'm just saying he could have. He wanted the man to man final showdown. In the end, I believe he got what he wanted.

Edited by Serenity@sea, 07 April 2012 - 07:42 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!