Why All of the Michonne hate?

character

SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPennslyvania

Sure a katana can be used to cut bodies in half using only one hand. We see it in the comics all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikVMXhcjbYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJFqPy39Hw

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members

I'm still looking for somebody that can cut a body in half with a Katana using one hand. Besides the comic superheroes

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
So fucking brutal. Hahaha.

If Michonne started using her walker-pets as zombie nun chucks, then I'd say she's over the top.

...jokes.

Wazzup4567

Wazzup4567

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationGeorgia

I'm still looking for somebody that can cut a body in half with a Katana using one hand. Besides the comic superheroes

That one guy just cut a pig in half with one hand...

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
I remember seeing a chart of a human being somewhere outlining over a hundred cuts possible with a katana and the difficulty of making the cut. It was an old Japanese diagram with translations attached.

The easiest cut was to lop the hand off at the wrist. The most difficult was to completely sever the body at the hips. Passing the blade through both the hip joints and pelvic bone.

If, and this is a big if, Michonne had a real katana and was a strong woman, I believe she would be able to sever a human body above the waist. The blade would have to cut through the spine and back muscles. The rest of the area is mainly the soft tissue of the abdomen.

Having said that, genuine katanas are hard to come by, but not impossible. There are reproductions being made in Japan. They are extremely expensive. The centuries old blades made by the master swordsmiths are considered national treasures by the Japanese government , and are almost impossible to export at any price.

There are however some of these blades lurking about the U.S. Some of the Japanese officers in WW2 carried blades that had been in their families for centuries, and had been reset in regulation Imperial issue hilts. A katana may work on a zombie, but they don't work well against machine gun fire. So many of these blades made their way to the U. S. as war souvenirs.

When I was young, I remember every two or three years seeing ads in the paper offering to buy souvenir swords. The buyers were Japanese. They would set up for about a week and buy swords. These buyers were from the Japanese government, and were trying to recover the blades lost during the war. Mostly they got modern issue swords, but sometimes they found what they were looking for. Back then every pawn shop seemed to have a few of these souvenir swords. Sadly, like so many things in those days, they were so common it never crossed my mind to buy one.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Luke Ass

Luke Ass

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBristol, Rhode Island

even though I agree that katanas and michonne are the shit, that first video isn't of a katana it's a kilij. Which has got much more of a curve to it and is weighted at the top. I just can't let something like that go un noticed. But seriously michonne is awesome, haters will do what they do.
Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky....

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
First post I put here I said I'd reserve judgement until I saw more of her.
Realistic (even though it's fiction)? Yeah I think so. Some people need a zombie apocalypse to bring out the toughness inside. I don't have a problem with warrior women. Maybe that's the reason behind all the hate? Michonne is that archetypical type of character.
As an avid reader of Burroughs, Herbert, Doyle, Tolkien, Donaldson, Howard and several others who had written about sword/blade wielding warrior women, why not?
Michonne showed herself to be strong, confident but also caring and compassionate, in a gruff way. She's spent 7 months with Andrea who is now sick/weak and watching out for her.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

even though I agree that katanas and michonne are the shit, that first video isn't of a katana it's a kilij. Which has got much more of a curve to it and is weighted at the top. I just can't let something like that go un noticed. But seriously michonne is awesome, haters will do what they do.

And the swords in the second one aren't classic katanas, are they? The handles look a bit too long. Or, maybe I'm thinking of the wakizashi.

{snip}
Having said that, genuine katanas are hard to come by, but not impossible. There are reproductions being made in Japan. They are extremely expensive. The centuries old blades made by the master swordsmiths are considered national treasures by the Japanese government , and are almost impossible to export at any price.

There are however some of these blades lurking about the U.S. Some of the Japanese officers in WW2 carried blades that had been in their families for centuries, and had been reset in regulation Imperial issue hilts. A katana may work on a zombie, but they don't work well against machine gun fire. So many of these blades made their way to the U. S. as war souvenirs.

When I was young, I remember every two or three years seeing ads in the paper offering to buy souvenir swords. The buyers were Japanese. They would set up for about a week and buy swords. These buyers were from the Japanese government, and were trying to recover the blades lost during the war. Mostly they got modern issue swords, but sometimes they found what they were looking for. Back then every pawn shop seemed to have a few of these souvenir swords. Sadly, like so many things in those days, they were so common it never crossed my mind to buy one.

Oddly, come to think of it, a friend of mine's dad, back in high school, had one of those. He was a vet, and had brought it back home as a war trophy. Never let us see it, much less touch it, though. So I guess it's not too far-fetched that she could have one. Heck,I have a 100-year old Melanesian war club hanging on my wall.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

And the swords in the second one aren't classic katanas, are they? The handles look a bit too long. Or, maybe I'm thinking of the wakizashi.

Yeah, either that or it's their "updated" version of it. The second video was "product demonstration" of Cold Steel's blades. They are sharp and tough I'll give them that. But that extra long handle probably would've been annoying to me. Sure it gives that much more leverage to the swing... but for a "fighting" weapon? I dunno.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

scarylala

scarylala

Roamer

• Members
  • Locationin the back of a van somewhere....

I have no clue WHY you people are all hating on Michonne. She is actually the best character in the Comic series and to be honest she is the most realistic person in the comics. You people are also basing your point of view on a 20 second or less clip of her onscreen which does NOT reflect her personality or any of her characteristics at all.

"Her entrance was over the top and very comic bookish."
-Well the entrance was just a tease. Also the show is based off of a comic book.

"Her 'pet' walkers make her seem unrealistic and that's why I love the show."
-Well the show is about zombies, which to my knowledge aren't real , so you people need to relax. She also
(Really minor comic spoilers)

Spoiler

"Her sword is an unrealistic weapon and wouldn't be able to slice through zombies since it would need to be sharpened constantly."
-Ever think that she can sharpen her sword?

I mean really people. She has the most depth of any character and you people are hating on her from a 20 second impression.

(I do agree that her entrance was a bit cheesy with that 2-4 second zoom on her face)

well said!
you only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough

ScottoftheDead

ScottoftheDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa
Hey gang, lively discussion here.

No one can dispute that a authentic katana can cleave a human. That was their intended purpose.

I have first-hand training in katanas, and i am going to keep my post on the subject matter that i know about, and not the discrepancy with Michonnes "trainable walkers".

Fencing is nothing like the practice of Iaido, Kenjitsu, or Kendo. I have studied these martial arts personally and am an assistant instructor in them.
Grip, posture, techniques, and target areas with a katana are completely different than that of those in fencing. There is NO translatable stuff except for maybe footwork. That is where the similarities end.

Like Backwoodsroamer said, authentic katanas are rare, they cannot "just be sharpened", and require special care. A special applicator and powder are used for maintaining the weapon, and most katanas (i would throw 90+% out there) are mall bought wall hangers that are not meant for contact with anything, and would fly into pieces and possibly/probably hurt you if you used them. The exception would be a WW2 trophy, but many of those are now long gone, or have fallen into a condition unworthy of real combat. Which is a damn shame, but another rant.

Michonne a couple times is shown doing a Chiburi technique, which removes the blood from the sword. She would not be trained in this from fencing. It just doesnt jive. It is used in Iaido.

Michonne is a small woman, and i do not believe she would have the upper body strength needed to do what shes doing. I have also trained with women. Women have different muscle structures in regards to upper body strength, and this is not a dig, but it adds to the list of things that make it seem silly. I would not attempt one handed techniques versus a walker when my life was on the line.

Honestly, they could have accomplished a Michonne more consistent with the show by just giving her a wooden bokken that would be a better choice to fight with, and more common to find, easier to maintain (wouldnt need it) and still have a sword weilding badass. There was a better way, and they decided to Hollywood it up to the extreme. Will she be running across treetops next? ;) kidding of course

But even Civil war officer swords werent used in combat, and many were never even drawn. It takes true artists to even MAKE a combat worthy sword, and much training to know how to use one reliably.

I love the idea of Michonne, i have devoted years of study to the sword, and the philosophy of those who used it to survive. Read Miamoto Musashi's book of five rings, and you will understand a true samurai mindset. This cannot be gained from finding a sword, or mimicking movements from a video.

Thanks folks

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

I love the idea of Michonne, i have devoted years of study to the sword, and the philosophy of those who used it to survive. Read Miamoto Musashi's book of five rings, and you will understand a true samurai mindset. This cannot be gained from finding a sword, or mimicking movements from a video.

Thanks folks

Agreed. I own a number of Kurosawa's samurai epics, Ran, Throne Of Blood, 7 Samurai, and others, I also have a number of films starring Toshiro Mifune who is regarded as (one of) Japan's greatest actors. In none of those films are you gonna see the fancy-schmancy twirling around the shoulders ala Schwarzenegger's Conan, or the technique used in the Highlander films. These (Japanese films) were about as authentic to Katana (and other Samurai weaponry) as you can get. Watch these films then go back and compare Michonne's technique.

Having the strength is only part of being able to cleave a human body/corpse in two. The blade must be tremendously sharp as well. Either way, just being able to cut deep enough to sever arteries/veins or damage an internal organ is usually enough to put a living human being down. They would die from shock from the wound itself or the resultant blood loss. Taking the head does require a bit more practice because of the smaller area the neck provides compared to the entire torso. Even if you don't go all the way through and the victim becomes like Nearly Headless Nick he's still dead as dead is gonna get.
As for Walkers/Zombies... I'd go for the extremities, arms and legs to limit mobility and reach if possible, and then if there's time use the blade to cut into the skull, instead of trying to take the entire head. Destroy the brain, that's the key there.

Jamber

Jamber

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada
in a show that features, the dead coming back to life and eating people .. to the point that civilisation has collapsed ... and a woman with a sword (even tho in a ZA a melee weapon of any sort would be highly sought after. be it .. machete, baseball bat, sword) is what some people find so fake? i'd take a woman with a sword in a ZA scenario more believable over every survivor being expert marksmen and getting headshots all the time

carylshipper4life

carylshipper4life

S-mart Employee

• Members
Does anyone like her? I know a lot of people do, but is there anyone on here besides me that can't stand her or Andrea???

Edocil

Edocil

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationGreendale
ok, andrea I can understand not standing in the tv show, I mean in the beginning she was kind of annoying, but shes gotten a bit better (still not as good as her comic counterpart) BUT you have seen michonne 2 times, for about a total of 6 minutes of screen time how can you deside you can't stand someone in that time? especially considering michonne is like a fucking warrior princess, I can't not like her, shes my favorite in the comics and I'm sure she'll be my favorite on the show by the end of the season

Walker_Slayer

Walker_Slayer

Lurker

• Members
Andrea I can kinda understand not liking her up till now but we've just started a new season so we will have to see how it turns out for her as the season moves along.

ok, andrea I can understand not standing in the tv show, I mean in the beginning she was kind of annoying, but shes gotten a bit better (still not as good as her comic counterpart) BUT you have seen michonne 2 times, for about a total of 6 minutes of screen time how can you deside you can't stand someone in that time? especially considering michonne is like a fucking warrior princess, I can't not like her, shes my favorite in the comics and I'm sure she'll be my favorite on the show by the end of the season

As far as Michonne, I'm definitely in agreement with Edocil. She just simply hasn't had enough screen time to actually make a fair judgement of whether or not I like her. Now, I haven't read the comics and I haven't decided if I'm going to. I know from past experience that books/comics never really translate that well to TV/Movies. And the TV Shows/Movies are almost always sub-par when compared to what they are supposed to be based on. So, I will just have to wait until they show more of Michonne.. How she acts/talks/what motivates her/etc... before I make up my mind about her. Though the mystery around the 2 zombies she keeps on chain leashes but do not try to attack her is really very annoying. I get that they have no arms or lower jaws so they can't effectively "infect" her but that really shouldn't remove their constant hunger for flesh/never ending drive to eat anything/everything that is alive. :wallmad: I would say "to eat anything that moves but if that were true zombie would be eating zombies. :smiley-confused002: :srug:

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I like her. I like her alot.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

Edocil

Edocil

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationGreendale

Andrea I can kinda understand not liking her up till now but we've just started a new season so we will have to see how it turns out for her as the season moves along.

As far as Michonne, I'm definitely in agreement with Edocil. She just simply hasn't had enough screen time to actually make a fair judgement of whether or not I like her. Now, I haven't read the comics and I haven't decided if I'm going to. I know from past experience that books/comics never really translate that well to TV/Movies. And the TV Shows/Movies are almost always sub-par when compared to what they are supposed to be based on. So, I will just have to wait until they show more of Michonne.. How she acts/talks/what motivates her/etc... before I make up my mind about her. Though the mystery around the 2 zombies she keeps on chain leashes but do not try to attack her is really very annoying. I get that they have no arms or lower jaws so they can't effectively "infect" her but that really shouldn't remove their constant hunger for flesh/never ending drive to eat anything/everything that is alive. :wallmad: I would say "to eat anything that moves but if that were true zombie would be eating zombies. :smiley-confused002: :srug:

I would definitely consider reading the comics, its like two seperate universes, different things happen in each! I would not say the tv show is subpar in any way, even though I prefer the comics(theres so much more)

and

I like her. I like her alot.

hahah I do not know why, but this made me laugh a lot!

carylshipper4life

carylshipper4life

S-mart Employee

• Members

Well...there's reasons why I don't like her, which I won't post:) I just honestly never liked her comic character eiether. Yeah, she's a badass with a katana sword just not my kind of character. That's all i'm gonna say...but who ever likes her, no hate against y'all:)

Walker_Slayer

Walker_Slayer

Lurker

• Members

Now what did those poor pigs do to deserve that? Also, I wonder if I could get one of those guys to come butcher some meat for me. :dumb:

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
I like Michonne and Andrea, comic and TV versions (as much as I've seen of Michonne on TV, anyway). I find them both easily forgivable for mistakes, and I'm not exactly sure why, hadn't really thought about it.

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony
Hi there! Just a friendly reminder from your R&L moderators to keep personal insults out of all threads. Calling your fellow zombie-lovers "stupid" or "big babies" is against the code of conduct for fun around here. :)

Remember, if other posters are giving you problems in the forum, don't respond with the insults. Just hit that handy old "Report" button on the lower left corner of the offensive post and one us will be handle it immediately. Happy Roaming/Lurking/Biting/...uh, whatever.
"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
I didn't like the way the show introduced Michonne. It gave the viewers who knew nothing about her a bad first impression.

Watkins

Watkins

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationAlabama
I have a group of friends that watch the show together and all of us love Michonne. I think she's a great character. As far as the walkers she has chained up I didn't think it was unrealistic, I mean I don't know why you would want to do it, but I wouldn't want to question her about it lol
The Rise of The Governor

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I have a group of friends that watch the show together and all of us love Michonne. I think she's a great character. As far as the walkers she has chained up I didn't think it was unrealistic, I mean I don't know why you would want to do it, but I wouldn't want to question her about it lol

The character uses those jawless, armless walkers for a couple practical reasons. If you can believe them.

They are used as a sort of repellant/camo for her when she has to navigate through walker infested areas. There smell could possibly cover her own scent, and may allow for her to travel without much attention from the other walkers.

And they also serve as a means of transportating her supplies. If you noticed the walkers were strapped with her gear/supplies. So she could scavenge larger quantities of things and not have to worry about the weight or carrying them herself.

Now the only unrealistic part, is would they ever stop trying to attack even without their arms and jaws? Because the way she whipped the chains to make them start to walk was like a trained dog, who understand commands. I don't know if that is possible but I suspend any disbelief because Michonne is badass, and the walker pets are really cool.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!