Why All of the Michonne hate?

character

Wazzup4567

Wazzup4567

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationGeorgia
I have no clue WHY you people are all hating on Michonne. She is actually the best character in the Comic series and to be honest she is the most realistic person in the comics. You people are also basing your point of view on a 20 second or less clip of her onscreen which does NOT reflect her personality or any of her characteristics at all.

"Her entrance was over the top and very comic bookish."
-Well the entrance was just a tease. Also the show is based off of a comic book.

"Her 'pet' walkers make her seem unrealistic and that's why I love the show."
-Well the show is about zombies, which to my knowledge aren't real , so you people need to relax. She also
(Really minor comic spoilers)
Spoiler

"Her sword is an unrealistic weapon and wouldn't be able to slice through zombies since it would need to be sharpened constantly."
-Ever think that she can sharpen her sword?

I mean really people. She has the most depth of any character and you people are hating on her from a 20 second impression.

(I do agree that her entrance was a bit cheesy with that 2-4 second zoom on her face)

DerpinaKitty

DerpinaKitty

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
I agree. A comic book character is comic book-ish? No way, that's just crazy!!

I think everyone should wait until next season to see what she does.
Shane - He was a loose cannon, but he was our loose cannon.

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members

I have no clue WHY you people are all hating on Michonne. She is actually the best character in the Comic series and to be honest she is the most realistic person in the comics. You people are also basing your point of view on a 20 second or less clip of her onscreen which does NOT reflect her personality or any of her characteristics at all.

-Well the entrance was just a tease. Also the show is based off of a comic book.

-Well the show is about zombies, which to my knowledge aren't real , so you people need to relax. She also
(Really minor comic spoilers)

Spoiler

"Her sword is an unrealistic weapon and wouldn't be able to slice through zombies since it would need to be sharpened constantly."
-Ever think that she can sharpen her sword?

I mean really people. She has the most depth of any character and you people are hating on her from a 20 second impression.

(I do agree that her entrance was a bit cheesy with that 2-4 second zoom on her face)

The show is a drama about real people interacting with each other in a post apocalyptic world. The zombies that showed up for a few seconds per episode were a backline story. Michonne is a character you would see in a Syfy action thriller and she doesn't fit this show.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
Coming from someone who hasn't read the GN's, my initial impression was one of intrigue. I've said this before......How can this world not get more and more dark and twisted? It would be unrealtistic to think they wouldn't come across people who have adapted in their own ways to survive. I am willing to have an open mind and see how her character plays out.

SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPennslyvania

Yeah comic bookish...that was the idea.
Her sword is an unrealistic weapon.....HUH? Someone seriously needs to google Minamoto, Nobunaga, and Tokugawa.

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members

Yeah comic bookish...that was the idea.
Her sword is an unrealistic weapon.....HUH? Someone seriously needs to google Minamoto, Nobunaga, and Tokugawa.

It's the one hand katana slashing of two zombies at a time that destroys the believability of the Michonne character in the comics. Supposedly she was trained in fencing so I guess that's their excuse why she uses a heavy katana like a fencing sword. Mazzara even dressed and posed her like the comic book hero on the TWD show.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
I'll have to go along with the idea of hating a character that you don't know anything about (those who have not read the comic), is just silly.
The Katana may seem to be an "unrealistic weapon" but only because you don't see or hear about people walking around with them all the time. Was it unrealistic back in the early days of this country for gentlemen to walk around carrying swords? What about during the Civil War? Oh it was war time, different circumstances.
It's war now with the dead.

It's not that hard to sharpen a sword, nor is it difficult to maintain. As long as the blade is kept clean after use, it's a low maintainence weapon. Far more so less than a gun which often times have to be taken apart to clean out gun-powder residue and other contaminants that'll mess up it's working and moving parts.

My character, John Handle uses a sword, a Katana like Michonne's... is he any less unrealistic? Sure he is... he's fictional, a figment of my fertile imagination. Rick, Lori, Daryl, T-Dog, Maggie, Glenn, Carl, Hershel, Carol, Andrea, Beth all of them fictional.
Granted I can see how folks were digging the idea of a Z-clypse and surviving day to day and learning what threats there are out there beyond the dead walking. Trust me folks, if it were to really happen, I'd have a katana strapped along my waist or my back where I can get to it and I'll use it. Hell, I'll carry one if we have a nuclear apocalypse (and I survive THAT). Silent and effective... just like Daryl's cross-bow, which if you think about it is a primitive weapon all in it's own right. Not to mention you don't have to worry about finding (or making) ammo with a sword.

It's still a mystery as to exactly why she has a couple of walkers chained and tagging along. Rendered basically ineffective with the loss of jaws and arms, I'd still consider them a threat irregardless. But without having to read the comic (only glanced at it now and again whenever I visit a book store) I suspect that...
Spoiler

Wait patiently for the start of the 3rd season and go a few episodes before passing judgement on Michonne.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Wazzup4567

Wazzup4567

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationGeorgia

The show is a drama about real people interacting with each other in a post apocalyptic world. The zombies that showed up for a few seconds per episode were a backline story. Michonne is a character you would see in a Syfy action thriller and she doesn't fit this show.

How are you drawing this conclusion...

Have you read the comics?

Coarse Limely

Coarse Limely

Infected

• Members

It's the one hand katana slashing of two zombies at a time that destroys the believability of the Michonne character in the comics. Supposedly she was trained in fencing so I guess that's their excuse why she uses a heavy katana like a fencing sword. Mazzara even dressed and posed her like the comic book hero on the TWD show.

Heavy? Katanas aren't much heavier than your average foil. Besides, a little muscle-training and a swordsman can adapt to a heavier blade with little trouble.

On the other hand, fencing shouldn't teach you how to use a katana to cleave through flesh and bone. You need training with a katana for that.

On the mutant third hand, there's been plenty of time since the outbreak for Michonne to study up on that, especially if she has innate talent for swordsmanship.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

On the mutant third hand, there's been plenty of time since the outbreak for Michonne to study up on that, especially if she has innate talent for swordsmanship.

There is that... but still training with a sword for COMBAT against another sword takes YEARS of training. I've a close friend across the pond who has spent the last 20+ years training with the katana and accompanying short swords (serious, for real with a mentor type in a dojo type training). He'll be the first to admit that there's still so much more to learn.

Fighting one handed with the katana is possible, if there's enough forearm strength to bring the blade up to speed then a clean cut can be made. You can also swing two handed and then let go of one (or the other) hand for the follow through.

Watch the old Akira Kurosawa films to get an idea eh?

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members

Heavy? Katanas aren't much heavier than your average foil. Besides, a little muscle-training and a swordsman can adapt to a heavier blade with little trouble.

On the other hand, fencing shouldn't teach you how to use a katana to cleave through flesh and bone. You need training with a katana for that.

A katana weighs at least twice that of a foil and is forward weighted which would require two hands to control. Plus the katana cutting power comes from both hands being on the handle to develope torque.

Kevin

Kevin

Infected

• Members
I'm thinking that because she is using the katana against dead tissue (ie. skin, muscles, tendons...) as opposed to live tissue, there would be less resistance for the blade to cut through. Even Glenn was able to semi-decapitate a walker at the pharmacy and correct me if i'm wrong but he was using a blunt object.

In the comics...

Spoiler

Medic.

Medic.

S-mart Employee

• Members

I'm thinking that because she is using the katana against dead tissue (ie. skin, muscles, tendons...) as opposed to live tissue, there would be less resistance for the blade to cut through. Even Glenn was able to semi-decapitate a walker at the pharmacy and correct me if i'm wrong but he was using a blunt object.

In the comics...

Spoiler

You're forgetting bone. Bone doesn't go soft after death.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Medic.

Medic.

S-mart Employee

• Members

-Well the show is about zombies, which to my knowledge aren't real , so you people need to relax.

Soo because it has zombies which aren't real you'd be perfectly okay with a character floating in on a magic dragon? Afterall you give them license to be as silly and unrealistic as possible because its based off.of.zombies.

And my opinion isn't formulated off a 20 second tv spot, I've researched the character on multiple sites. I still don't like her.

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members

Even Glenn was able to semi-decapitate a walker at the pharmacy and correct me if i'm wrong but he was using a blunt object.

I think a few things have been thrown in along the way to make Michonne's abilities a bit more in line with their show.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

And my opinion isn't formulated off a 20 second tv spot, I've researched the character on multiple sites. I still don't like her.

I don't like the portrayal of Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels... so I don't watch 'em nor have a desire/plan to own them. Stop at season 2 and don't watch the 3rd season... simple.

I mean, gee-whizz-golly-willikers folks... if you all hate Michonne... then you're going to LOATHE the Governor.
Don't click if you don't wanna know!!
Spoiler

Medic.

Medic.

S-mart Employee

• Members

I don't like the portrayal of Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels... so I don't watch 'em nor have a desire/plan to own them. Stop at season 2 and don't watch the 3rd season... simple.

I mean, gee-whizz-golly-willikers folks... if you all hate Michonne... then you're going to LOATHE the Governor.
Don't click if you don't wanna know!!

Spoiler

I am not going to stop watching a show for one character. This is a discussion forum is it not? So I'm allowed to discuss my opinions. And my opinion is that Michonne is a stupid character.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
Sure is a lot of hate over hating Michonne going on, which is rather amusing in an ironic way. Why don't we wait until we've seen the character for more than ten seconds before we tear into each other. I was wondering how they would introduce her. It was rather dramatic, but we really didn't see enough to really form an opinion.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

ImRickGrimesBitch

ImRickGrimesBitch

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationWest By Dog Virginia

I am not going to stop watching a show for one character. This is a discussion forum is it not? So I'm allowed to discuss my opinions. And my opinion is that Michonne is a stupid character.

I am not going to stop reading this board because of one poster. This is a discussion forum, is it not? So, I'm allowed to discuss my opinions also. My opinion is that you're a stupid poster.

Fixed....
EVERY TIME I LOOK OUT MY WINDOW, I SEE THREE DOGS LOOKING BACK AT ME

Medic.

Medic.

S-mart Employee

• Members

I am not going to stop reading this board because of one poster. This is a discussion forum, is it not? So, I'm allowed to discuss my opinions also. My opinion is that you're a stupid poster.

Fixed....

Way to get personally insulting.

Coarse Limely

Coarse Limely

Infected

• Members

A katana weighs at least twice that of a foil and is forward weighted which would require two hands to control. Plus the katana cutting power comes from both hands being on the handle to develope torque.

Since a foil weighs next-to-nothing to begin with, twice that is still pretty light.

And as DeadCave said, both hands can be used during the strike, with only one hand remaining on the hilt on the follow-through.

Lubec

Lubec

S-mart Employee

• Members

Since a foil weighs next-to-nothing to begin with, twice that is still pretty light.

And as DeadCave said, both hands can be used during the strike, with only one hand remaining on the hilt on the follow-through.

Actually a competition fencing foil typically weighs about .25 pounds, just over 100 grams. A katana weighs ten times that and sometimes more.

ImRickGrimesBitch

ImRickGrimesBitch

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationWest By Dog Virginia

Way to get personally insulting.

Now we're even, cause you hurt my feelings by hating on Michonne.......
Ya big baby.
EVERY TIME I LOOK OUT MY WINDOW, I SEE THREE DOGS LOOKING BACK AT ME

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

Actually a competition fencing foil typically weighs about .25 pounds, just over 100 grams. A katana weighs ten times that and sometimes more.

Hah, and some people say the internet is a useless toy. To them I say, "Do you know the weight of a fencing foil or katana.". We are all vindicated in one simple post.

kxwjZFU.png

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

Now we're even, cause you hurt my feelings by hating on Michonne.......
Ya big baby.

Then again, maybe we aren't vindicated.

kxwjZFU.png

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!