Photo

I think Walker Randall killed TWD for me.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Greetings,

I've defended TWD for awhile now. I've enjoyed alot of it and was there each week as it's played. Love the show. However after Better Angels I've hit some Walking Dead speed bumps..

First off Randall. He's handcuffed with Shane leading him around and then breaks his neck. I'm assuming leaving him there and then breaking his own nose. He never removed the cuffs..I actually don't think he had the keys but yet later our pal Walker Randall is out strolling with hands free. Not even one hand cuffed. There no way my head can explain that one away. Plus when Shane did break his nose he was right where he put Randall down @. Yet later Glen/Daryll find Randalls blindfold that had been dropped mins before & the blood on the tree from when Shane broke his nose in the same spot. However these events took place @ two different times in two different locations. So I'm confused badly.

Also when Shane makes it back to the area where Randall had been housed it cuts to the group by the door talking what might have happened thru. Between 3 camera view changes the groups positions shift each time the camera goes from them to Shane & back. It's a small thing yet it was odd to see. And when it did cut to Shane he was shown to be behind a bush/branch of a tree. But when the camera is shown from the back of Shanes view theres little to no brush in front of him. Theres little reason anyone up by the holding area couldn't see him just standing there.

Also later when Shane & Rick go on their jaunt thru the woods they do alot of walking..yet are right by the farm house. This was Shanes master plan? To kill Rick right @ the farmhouse doorstep? Sure I'll go with it was dark for the characters. And for the viewers we had to see what we were watching. But they were right there and did alot of walking to get there.
So with all that watching it again hit me as alot of good scenes..but pisspoor setup to get to those...... (alittle rant from here about the worst..) Walker Randall shouldn't have even been up and walking so well. His neck was broken yet was find & dandy without a sign of wear. No cuffs and I could go on and on.

I know most people are tired of peeps freaking over the little things. Heck I know I am..but seriously there no 100% no way to explain Walker Randalls lack of cuffs.

Rook Castleman

Rook Castleman

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMilpitas
just watch. dont argue with the logic.
Posted Image

Bro

Bro

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
I've never understood how these little things bother people. If I ever catch an oversight, I give myself a pat on the back, and continue to enjoy the show.
Posted Image

mamaboo

mamaboo

Infected

• Members
  • 4 posts

Greetings,

I've defended TWD for awhile now. I've enjoyed alot of it and was there each week as it's played. Love the show. However after Better Angels I've hit some Walking Dead speed bumps..

First off Randall. He's handcuffed with Shane leading him around and then breaks his neck. I'm assuming leaving him there and then breaking his own nose. He never removed the cuffs..I actually don't think he had the keys but yet later our pal Walker Randall is out strolling with hands free. Not even one hand cuffed. There no way my head can explain that one away. Plus when Shane did break his nose he was right where he put Randall down @. Yet later Glen/Daryll find Randalls blindfold that had been dropped mins before & the blood on the tree from when Shane broke his nose in the same spot. However these events took place @ two different times in two different locations. So I'm confused badly.

Also when Shane makes it back to the area where Randall had been housed it cuts to the group by the door talking what might have happened thru. Between 3 camera view changes the groups positions shift each time the camera goes from them to Shane & back. It's a small thing yet it was odd to see. And when it did cut to Shane he was shown to be behind a bush/branch of a tree. But when the camera is shown from the back of Shanes view theres little to no brush in front of him. Theres little reason anyone up by the holding area couldn't see him just standing there.

Also later when Shane & Rick go on their jaunt thru the woods they do alot of walking..yet are right by the farm house. This was Shanes master plan? To kill Rick right @ the farmhouse doorstep? Sure I'll go with it was dark for the characters. And for the viewers we had to see what we were watching. But they were right there and did alot of walking to get there.
So with all that watching it again hit me as alot of good scenes..but pisspoor setup to get to those...... (alittle rant from here about the worst..) Walker Randall shouldn't have even been up and walking so well. His neck was broken yet was find & dandy without a sign of wear. No cuffs and I could go on and on.

I know most people are tired of peeps freaking over the little things. Heck I know I am..but seriously there no 100% no way to explain Walker Randalls lack of cuffs.

i have to agree with you about the views of shane when he approaches the group at the barn. i had to watch the whole episode again just to put it together, and i even missed the handcuffs missing, but i felt something was wrong with the scene, anyway. some of the dialog and walking around made sense after watching again, but not the stuff you mentioned.. there was definite oversights there.

.another thing they threw in that bugged me was the long pause before they did the 'monster growing/awakening in shane' flashes. did they ever do THAT before? i kinda felt he was physically and emotionally changing into a monster before he was killed, and randall looked that way, too. i felt shane had gone insane, and wanted rick to kill him.

its funny but i did not like twd at first, i could not stand the acting and i thought the actor that played rich did not come across well. the actors grew into their roles very well and i grew to really like the show, but these little things like you mentioned just annoy me. ah, whaddya want. it is not a big budget blockbuster movie, but a fairly entertaining tv series. i do think much more of the actor that plays rick, especially since i found out he is brittish!

Edited by mamaboo, 13 March 2012 - 03:12 AM.

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationLocation Location!
The cuffs were left behind where he was being held captive. Go back and watch and you can hear Rick or T-Dog or someone say "the cuffs are still there... he must've slipped them. They're still locked..." or something like that.

As far as his neck and the blood on the tree/blindfold things, you just gotta look past that.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN

The cuffs were left behind where he was being held captive. Go back and watch and you can hear Rick or T-Dog or someone say "the cuffs are still there... he must've slipped them. They're still locked..." or something like that.

As far as his neck and the blood on the tree/blindfold things, you just gotta look past that.

Ur right I remember them speaking about that. But then how was his hands bound?

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationLocation Location!
Good question. Were they?

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,595 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers

Good question. Were they?

Yes, they were. I actually thought the strip of cloth was the one from his hands, and not the blindfold that was taken off earlier.

zombiebanner-1.jpg

Faith

Faith

Lurker

• Members
  • 233 posts
Good plan, bad execution. Those little details lack importance to some folks. To others, they stand out like a sore thumb rushed hack job. I tend to agree that attention to the little details are what sets a good production staff apart. With the show's popularity and extreme fanbase, you'd think they would do this.
I'm not discussing the Shane/Otis thing...I'd have done the same thing, and that's that. The only thing that can salvage TWD is when Daryl kills Rick.

Maka523

Maka523

Lurker

• Members
  • 338 posts
Yes, they were, with rope.

That cloth was his blindfold.

Come on, guys. I know snarking about shows is fun for the whole family, but this seems a bit... trivial.

(Compared to, say, the horrendously sappy music during Rick and Carl's daytime talk.)

Edited by Maka523, 13 March 2012 - 03:32 AM.

DerpinaKitty

DerpinaKitty

Roamer

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Just be happy it's not Spongebob logic.
Shane - He was a loose cannon, but he was our loose cannon.

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 121 posts
The whole show has taken on a contrived feeling. The walker that attacked Dale appeared in a field that was empty a few seconds prior. Carl can come and go unseen all day long just one episode after the big division of labor discussion that reveals the men do nothing but stand guard. Then Shane and Randall leave the shed unseen by anybody in the house or anywhere on the farm. It's like watching somebody playing a video game instead of watching a drama.

cyst

cyst

Infected

• Members
  • 18 posts
I actually assumed this topic would be about how Randall's death rendered the past couple of episodes useless and a waste of our time...These miniscule details would never bother me that much...Randall dying felt very similar to Sophia dying. Anti climactic in exchange for a long, dragged out series of episodes centered around those characters. Still love the show though.
I swear, it could begin raining canned hams on the show and people would be on here explaining that it must have been an explosion two towns over at the Hormel factory, which shows that the writers are really doing their homework and considering even minute details like post-ZA gas line maintenance. -mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
  • 528 posts
I agree that those are inconsistencies, but I can't fathom how you'd have made it this far into the series if illogical writing is so intolerable.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Awesome thanks everyone. Glad I missed the whole cuffs part. That was getting too me simply b/c it would've fit so perfectly to sloppy writing and AMC's lack of love for TWD. :(

Notawalkeryet

Notawalkeryet

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 121 posts
I suspect Shane had to cut Randall's hands and feet free to make his escape look realistic when they found him. My complaint is the large glaring issues that don't seem real.

Edited by Notawalkeryet, 13 March 2012 - 05:54 AM.

Jimmy

Jimmy

Infected

• Members
  • 31 posts
Did anyone else notice when Shane walked into Randall's Shed he opened the door like it wasn't even locked?

Edited by Jimmy, 13 March 2012 - 05:58 AM.

groovitude

groovitude

Infected

• Members
  • 86 posts

First off Randall. He's handcuffed with Shane leading him around and then breaks his neck. I'm assuming leaving him there and then breaking his own nose. He never removed the cuffs..I actually don't think he had the keys but yet later our pal Walker Randall is out strolling with hands free. Not even one hand cuffed. There no way my head can explain that one away.

The handcuffs were left in the barn where Randall had been locked up. T-Dog notices them; someone (I forget who) asks how that's possible, and Andrea says it's possible so long as you have nothing to lose -- implying that he skinned himself pretty good or broke a thumb to get himself out.

Shane tied his hands together. You can see the pieces of rope swinging as they walk together. For reference, check this video around 0:35 - 0:41:

Plus when Shane did break his nose he was right where he put Randall down @. Yet later Glen/Daryll find Randalls blindfold that had been dropped mins before & the blood on the tree from when Shane broke his nose in the same spot. However these events took place @ two different times in two different locations. So I'm confused badly.

If you watch that video again, you'll see that Randall's blindfold isn't actually removed; it's moved up onto his forehead, like a bandana. So it's certainly possible for it to come off at or near the site of the murder.

SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks

Lurker

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationPennslyvania

It's the illusion of theater - some call it "suspension of belief." On another thread I think I called it "artistic license." The creator make a vision, film, video game, or whatever. The viewer is caught up in the action and doesn't really notice the slight of hand. If you pay close attention or watch it over and over you can nitpick unrealistic details.

Nothing wrong with that, you're just seeing through the illusion. I picked the hell out of Dales death because it didn't suspend my belief at all.

A good example is the movie Braveheart. The fist time you see it in the theater it makes you want to kill someone with meat cleaver...the film throws you into the middle of battle and the viewer is emotionally caught up in it. After you see the same thing 20 times at home you'll notice little flaps and flaws.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

Greetings,

All handcuffs are keyed the same. I have no doubt that Shane had handcuff keys and he had ample opportunity to remove them from Randall after he killed him..

His plan was to tell everyone that Randall killed Rick with his gun and he tracked him down and broke his neck.

It was a faulty plan because Daryl could have found Randall before he killed Rick, and of course he didn't figure on Randall reanimating. With or without zombie Randall it was a dumb plan that wouldn't have fooled anyone. That makes it all the more believable because Shane was anything but intelligent. He was more or less a useful idiot.
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 567 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
I have to admit I was pretty surprised when the camera panned out to show that Rick and Shane were right back beside the house.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys
I think looking for the goofs and errors just gives me a side bar of entertainment. There are websites for people who like to find these errors. Looking for the goofs improves my eye for detail. The vast majority of viewers either don't notice or don't have the technical knowledge to spot the errors. For instance, when Shane pointed his Glock at Rick we heard a clicking sound of the hammer being cocked or a safety being clicked off. The Glock pistol has neither an external safety or hammer. The sound was added for dramatic effect. When Carl's Hi Power was shown after he shot Shane the hammer was uncocked. It should have been left cocked by the movement of the slide when he fired. For that matter it wasn't cocked before he fired. The Hi-Power is a single action and wouldn't have fired if uncocked.

My fine details and yours don't matter to ninety nine percent of the viewers, and they are who the show is made for.
The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

firestopr

firestopr

Lurker

• Members
  • 136 posts
if Shanes master plan was to kill randall and pin ricks death on him then there is no way he left his hand bound after he was dead(if they where ever bound at all). just my 2 cents
Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

TheAnarchrist

TheAnarchrist

Lurker

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

My complaint is the large glaring issues that don't seem real.

Like the dead getting up and eating the living, right?
Everyday I'm Shufflin'
- Sincerely, Walkers

Faith

Faith

Lurker

• Members
  • 233 posts
backwoodsroamer, I get what you are saying.

Pointing out the illogical in a series that is, and of, itself completely illogical anyway..............is not a one-up comment.

Zombies? Meh, you have to be willing to ACCEPT that something happened somewhere to cause this virus/bacteria/infection to happen. Though zombification may be stretched or out of reach, it's a reasonable assumption that bioengineers and government(s) do have some sort of WTF stuff that could kill the world if they wanted that, or render humans changed/dead in ways we probably can't even imagine. THAT part IS believable.

However, it's the OTHER little things, that even if something like this happened to civilization, would remain illogical - like the things backwoodsroamer mentioned. To faithfully watch and enjoy the show, you have to accept that ok, there are zombies. The laws of gravity, physics and common sense OUTSIDE of that acceptance should remain the same, even with an illogical new population around. Basically, oversights by the production staff cause flaws and questions those little things and we can't blame it on the ZA.

We accept the ZA, but everything else needs to be in place and make sense lol Otherwise, we get to point it out, which is fun!
I'm not discussing the Shane/Otis thing...I'd have done the same thing, and that's that. The only thing that can salvage TWD is when Daryl kills Rick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!